• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 | Preview Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
cheuTE9.png

Previews:

Puscifer

I wonder if Skill up will have a preview. I enjoy how approachs stuff from a very gameplay first perspective and isn't afraid to say he's scared of something's quality

Killer8

Lots of 'shocked' and 'pleasantly surprised' language in the previews. While that is of course a good sign, it's been apparent for many months now that the game is going to be a quality Capcom-esque remake. People just didn't want to listen. 🤷‍♂️

ShadowNate

I think everyone who's played the original hopes for a well made remake that does not disrespect the source material.

I don't know what the "Angela is now ugly!!11one" crowd is, but it's funny watching them being concerned about something they clearly pretend to know about.

Whether the remake will be good or bad, it will be an interesting perspective for anyone who played the original game.

Edit - After watching the previews, I am 100% sure that this remake will be exceptionally good.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Here's a quick overview of the info that came from the previews via Okami13_
  • Positive impressions overall, a faithful adaptation
  • "After playing the first three hours [...] my fears have melted away."
  • 60 FPS mode confirmed
  • Dodge button and aiming reticle added to make combat smoother
  • More explorable buildings than the original
  • Monsters are more aggressive and can counter attack
  • New puzzles confirmed
  • Zones have been expanded and item locations moved around
  • Wood Side and Blue Creek apartment layouts reworked
  • Pyramid Head apartment encounter reworked
  • All original endings included + brand new ones in NG+
  • Combat is smoother, although Bloober Team stresses SH2 is not a combat oriented game
  • Tense sound design
  • Dense, thick fog
  • UE5 Lumen technology confirmed for PS5
  • Releasing October 8th

Last edited:

Denton

While I don't put any stock into what western activists have to say about anything, I am glad the impressions are confirming what I expected based on the first 12 minute trailer - this will be a great game.

zokie

"I am dreaming that gamers will trust us, but I realise that trust is earned through actions, not through words. So that’s why we have a policy of not commenting [on the specifics of the game] and raising hopes. We want to show our ambitions through our work, so we can’t ask for anything more than ‘give us a chance'." Babieno claims Bloober Team allows its employees to focus on their work with "peace of mind", but feedback from outside the studio has still proved "invaluable in refining our project before its release".

after considering , i will buy the remake of Silent Hill 2

Last edited:

Jesb

It’s looking like that the game has made significant improvements since initial reveals. It’s too bad Konami hates GFN. So not sure when I’d get to play it.

Last edited:
Following this game is such an emotional rollercoaster
First there are those trailers that don't paint a stellar picture of what's to come, and now the previews are getting glowing reviews.
Best case scenario, the remake gives us a new version of Silent Hill 2 that's great in its own right. Like taking a photograph of the Lincoln Memorial from a different angle, the remake could be great for reasons different from what made the original great, so that the remake and the original are viable ways to enjoy the story and world of Silent Hill 2.
At least we're getting those two or three days of earlier access for those who pay up, so we can get some real insight on whether the remake is great or terrible before the "official" release date

game 'journos' raving? I have a bad feeling about this
Once and awhile... everyone can rave and it will signify something good. Let's hope this is one of those times.
Especially ME, I pre-ordered this shit, even though I've said on this very forum, that I dislike doing it. Still... I have Black Label and Greatest hits/Director's Cut... it's an exception, a personal one.

bundylove

Hmmm. Torn on this one.

I loved it on ps2. Got 3 endings. The story was very impactful and very mature for that time. Would go as far as say it was on par with some movies of that time.

And thats the problem. I already know what its about. Know the story the characters , the twists, the endings.

Would by it for nostalgia but probably not day one.

But for newcomers i say its a must buy. Its a classic. Dont miss it .

luca_29_bg

They added the animation when James picks up objects, this was missing in previous footage, and the director said that it was a compromise between realism and the flow of the game! Now however is better! Thanks Blooper team ! Maybe they also added the animation of James reaching out to open the drawers, because in the latest gameplay footage, the drawers open themselves without him touching them, and it's very annoying in a realistic game like this! I hope they will fix it as well! Please!!! ❤️❤️❤️

MacReady13

This is great, but I imagine we'll be missing all the RT lighting goodness that makes up the game's atmosphere. This might actually be one to consider playjng at 30, or even better, wait for the pro.
You mean like the RT lighting in the original PS2 version that made that so atmospheric???

Skifi28

You mean like the RT lighting in the original PS2 version that made that so atmospheric???
I'm talking about this version specifically and how it seems to have been designed with RT in mind, I imagine it'll look very different without it. The PS2 obviously used different techniques for its own atmosphere and there was no performance mode that might have compromised the original vision. I'm not even sure why you quoted me as I never said that you specifically need RT to have an atmospheric game.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Never played the old one. Game looked meh when they first revealed it, but the latest story trailer and the 20 min gameplay looked really good so im probably buying this

MacReady13

I'm talking about this version specifically and how it seems to have been designed with RT in mind, I imagine it'll look very different without it. The PS2 obviously used different techniques for its own atmosphere and there was no performance mode that might have compromised the original vision. I'm not even sure why you quoted me as I never said that you specifically need RT to have an atmospheric game.
I was just being a smart ass. No malice in it. There are ways though that lighting can be used without RT that create brilliant atmosphere, as observed in the PS2 original!!!

Skifi28

I was just being a smart ass. No malice in it. There are ways though that lighting can be used without RT that create brilliant atmosphere, as observed in the PS2 original!!!
My bad, probably read too much into it. I agree, but when you have more than one mode in recent games it's sometimes hard to keep the artistic vision intact when you start turning things off to get more frames and I guess I don't trust bloober that much in the first place.

MacReady13

My bad, probably read too much into it. I agree, but when you have more than one mode in recent games it's sometimes hard to keep the artistic vision intact when you start turning things off to get more frames and I guess I don't trust bloober that much in the first place.
This team hasn't made a game I really enjoy so I remain cautiously optimistic.

luca_29_bg

This is great, but I imagine we'll be missing all the RT lighting goodness that makes up the game's atmosphere. This might actually be one to consider playjng at 30, or even better, wait for the pro.

The 60 fps mode doesn't have the lumen used for the ambient occlusion, plus a more aggressive dynamic resolution, as far as we know, but maybe there will be more differences!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This game is the perfect example why we see less and less AAA titles revealing gameplay stuff 3 or even 2 years before release. It only damages your future release.

These latest videos are night and day compared to the first few ones we saw.
Yeah but the feedback helped just like they use to when they released trailers.
They got criticism and address it
Although I still think theres problems they have improved on the stuff we know they would be willing to address.
So yes, it is the problem because they don't do this anymore and just release shit.
The actual turnaround from the first trailer to release isn't that bad.
Two years is on par with most Konami games from the 2000's
That's why we used to have 2 E3 & 2 TGS trailers from games like MGS & Silent Hill.
and it got shorter with the sequels in the same generation.
Konami & Capcom seem to be doing it the right way.
Everyone else is doing it wrong.

Top Bottom