• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 | Preview Thread

YXATYnc.gif
giphy.gif
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb94bc422-eff5-4024-912b-b0b505dadb25_330x250.gif

h7MTItD.gif

I recently played SH2EE. I'll play the remake without great expectations, hope it'll be decent.

Last edited:

Cao Cao

Glad you got the game early to pose an opinion on the experience.

Since you know, it’d be real retarded to say it’s a mediocre experience without actually experiencing it.

There is 6 hours of the game out there, I saw more then enough to know the developers have no clue about the source material.
How dare they take the project of others and "improve" upon it. I feel bad for the OG Team. Enjoy your mediocre experience.

There is 6 hours of the game out there, I saw more then enough to know the developers have no clue about the source material.
How dare they take the project of others and "improve" upon it. I feel bad for the OG Team. Enjoy your mediocre experience.
Lord Cow-Cow! The Yellow Turbans are threatening the lands. Unite the kingdoms and bring peace to these lands.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

luca_29_bg

Silent hill 2 has an ethereal atmosphere. Not realistic. Watch the art of silent hill. It has nothing to do with limitations or what ever you perceive the OG art style to be.

I'm sorry but we are in 2024 and the graphics of the game is realistic, so the realistic light is part of the game, it's not so difficult to understand. And yes limitations are part of the whole original game because it's a ps2 game. It was good in 2001 and obsolete today, of course, plus this is a remake and the atmosphere, personally speaking, is amazing for me, it gives me the same feeling that the original gave me in 2001, but it can't give me anymore because technically outdated. I prefer photorealistic ethereal atmosphere than limited by old technology. If you prefer the original, play the original, it's so simple. The Enhanced edition is there for free for everyone!

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Absolutely boring and unoriginal. There is not ethereal atmosphere. Don’t fool yourself.

Don't bother man, the dude is either a bitter fanboy and/or a Bloober shill, notice how he only appears in everything SH2 related leaving laughing emojis to anyone who dares to criticize this remake.

It's the weirdest thing and also suspect, it's almost like the guy is working for Bloober team 'cause otherwise, things don't make sense 😉

PS: MGS Delta looks fabulous tech-wise and appears to be a 1:1 remake, this one on the other hand is amateur hour, from the weird models/faces, to the terribad animations and completely misunderstood "atmosphere" - it boggles the mind how Konami chose these hacks to remake one of the most beloved games out there...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Nothing wrong with being hopeful about this remake. The closer we get there are things that look more positive than expected TBH. Will it be better than the original? No. I think it's very likely that it won't be. But maybe it'll still be a fun and interesting experience. Regardless of how you feel about the remake, the original will always be there which is a wonderful thing. Besides, we also have the complete Enhanced Edition now, which is the best way to play. 😮‍💨

UnrealEck

I think the facial animation (capture) and voice acting is really good. Particularly for James and Maria.

I haven't played SH1 since 1999 and SH2 since 2022 so I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:
yaa but have ya seen comparision orginal vs new its soo horrible
I don't like it either, but she is a kid and from other angles it doesn't look that bad. Everything else about game looks great. If it was legit woke agenda, pronouns and weird flags, male -female and half person bathroom signs, and every female ugly, then nah, /I wouldn't buy it but I am not seeing that at all.

Very excited for this. I sold my original copies of SH2 and 3 in 2013 after the "hd collection" came out. It wasn't popular back then, I picked up the ps2 game originally in 2009 for $10. (I had never played sh2, only played sh1, and silent hill 3 and 4 on pc in the early 00s). It became one of my favorite games.
Little did i know that the hd collection would have problems. Now that $10 used game is going for $120 minimum used....wtf...
How did this game blow up in popularity so much. They were all over the shelves in the 2000s and in used bins for cheap.

Even in the early 2010s it wasn't as popular or expensive. Was this streaming culture that did this shit? No way am I paying prices like that for the game i once bought for $10.
That being what it is, I am really hoping this remake remains faithful and I don't have to eventually drop the cash.

keefged4

SH2 is my favorite horror game of all time, so I am going to try and go in without too much prejudice. What I've seen so far is good though. Roll on the 6th. Both this and the original can exist ya know, we all know this will not top the original. but we can still be exited about it

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I think the facial animation (capture) and voice acting is really good. Particularly for James and Maria.

I haven't played SH1 since 1999 and SH2 since 2022 so I'm looking forward to this.
I think all the cast are great and suit the characters. Laura is a standout based on clips I’ve watched.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Man that release date really snuck up. Had no idea it was so close.

Zero interest, but I hope it isn't a complete disaster. Always a dicey situation when you want to remake such a classic with such a devout following.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

Luipadre

Man that release date really snuck up. Had no idea it was so close.

Zero interest, but I hope it isn't a complete disaster. Always a dicey situation when you want to remake such a classic with such a devout following.

Oh dont worry the HC "fans" will hate the game im pretty sure but i personally never played the original and cant wait to play the remake. First reveal was mediocre, but they cooked there and now it looks great imo

Last edited:

Variahunter

clearly superior combat mechanics of the original on display
Exactly my experience playing it on the hardest difficulty, but for EVERY single enemy ! Just staying in front of it and mashing buttons, and sometimes it takes 15 hits before the most basic enemy dies...
Glad that the remake got updated on that part.

I'm also glad for the new third person view because I find it more immersive, and I don't like FPS (so please Capcom, no RE9 FPS...).

There's some design changes for the "modern audience" about the characters I don't like :
- Maria doesn't feel like a temptress anymore. In her voice, redesigned outfit or face, she just doesn't hit the same vibe.
- Angela feels weird at times, but it seems ok, we'll have to see in the full game.
- Rest of the character seems faithfull.

I just hope we can select the original music, because I don't really like the changes made for the rearranged OST. It lacks something.

Pretty excited overall for the level design changes, puzzles and of course the new gameplay !

It might be the first good Bloober team game !

luca_29_bg

Famitsu review

・The sense of realism and creepiness brought by the beautiful visuals and sound is incredible

・The Japanese dubbing is comfortable and makes you concentrate on the game, which is actually a joy

・Evasion makes the battles more fun and you'll be absorbed in defeating enemies one by one

・The character details and the revamped puzzle solving make it more mentally taxing

・As this is a work from over 20 years ago, there are many scenes that feel like flag setting, but thanks to the overwhelming realism and stress-free play feel, you hardly notice it

・The unique atmosphere is simply amazing

・It takes 16 to 18 hours to clear the first time

・You'll want to go on because you're curious to see something scary

・A great remake, the original and the additional elements are well balanced, so it can be enjoyed by both experienced and inexperienced players

w6yxgr9wbcsd1.jpeg

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

Uh huh. Medicore. Not how it's going down mate.

Top Bottom