• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

KevinCow

Banned
ZealousD said:
Wait, volley it back?

I just evaded it. :lol

There are two types of people in this world: those who hit the giant meteor flying at them with a sword, and those who try to dodge it.

The second group is a bunch of pussies.

KevinCow said:
There are two types of people in this world: those who hit the giant meteor flying at them with a kick, and those who try to dodge it.

The second group is a bunch of pussies.

Fixed.

But yeah. I pretty much try to hit any larger than average projectile just to see if it can be deflected.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FINALLY beat the shaman! Only had enough time to play up through the first boss in stage 5, but so far it doesn't seem that bad. Hopefully I will be able to finish the game soon and then go back and beat it on Easy with Isa.

tim1138

Wrapped up my easy Isa play through this morning.
Thanks to everyone for the advice on the final boss,
shooting was definitely easier than slicing
Now on to medium with Kachi!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I find it funny how most people don't think of bouncing the meteor back. It's a projectile. By that point in the game you should know what to do with projectiles.

Also, is it me or is that a homage to Advance Guardian Heroes?

tim1138

Regulus Tera said:
I find it funny how most people don't think of bouncing the meteor back. It's a projectile. By that point in the game you should know what to do with projectiles.

Also, is it me or is that a homage to Advance Guardian Heroes?

Yeah, dodging it didn't even dawn on me--I saw the big rock flying at me and instinctively sliced it.

I didn't think you could dodge it. I know that if it hits you, another one just comes out, so I assumed the only way to win the fight was to send it back.

I just started hard mode, and one of the little robot things in the first level hit me for 20 damage. This is going to be fun.

gogojira

Getting pretty deep into it, this game is pretty sick. There's never a moment to breath and you're constantly slaying enormous bosses -- it's seriously like a game from the 90s and I fucking love it.

I know it won't bring in huge numbers, but I do hope it captures a large enough audience to justify another sequel down the road. Based on the interviews I've seen and read, it was all done by a really small team (I guess that's the Treasure way) so I can't imagine it cost too much to create.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I didn't think you could dodge it. I know that if it hits you, another one just comes out, so I assumed the only way to win the fight was to send it back.

I just started hard mode, and one of the little robot things in the first level hit me for 20 damage. This is going to be fun.

Ha ha ha you're gonna hate the last three stages.

voodoopanda said:
Playing this makes me want them to put out the first Sin & Punishment with these controls.

Game would be easy as fuck.

tim1138

gogojira said:
I'd be down for a 3DS port similar to Star Fox and Ocarina of Time.

Oh, yeah I didn't even think of that, improve the graphics a bit and that'd be the killer app for me to get a 3DS.

Galang

Banned
Finished on easy, and almost done my normal run. Absolutely love this game,
the way things kept changing on the last level was amazing. Don't know if it was luck the first time, but I'm actually surprised at how effortless 7 was. Only died twice, despite stuff was flying EVERYWHERE. And combined Isa/Kachi made me feel like I was playing as Orpheus. :D

And is it just me, or did stage 6 seem to go on forever? Just crazy. :lol

Teknoman

gogojira said:

Kid Icarus seems to be just that for the time being.

EDIT: Hmm wonder if the english voice actors are ok... Just starting up, and trying to figure out whether I should set it to japanese.

gogojira

Teknoman said:
Kid Icarus seems to be just that for the time being.

It's funny because for as thrilled as I am to see Pit return and for as much as I love Sin & Punishment, this makes me a little sad because it's simply not the return I envisioned.

Still really excited though and I'm crossing my fingers it's not quite as comparable to S&P as its E3 trailer implies. Hopefully the free-roaming land portions of Uprising are pretty open and don't revolve around slashing a few guys, move forward, repeat.

Edit: I left the English voices on. It gets cheesy at times, but it's nothing offensive.

Teknoman

English voices are pretty decent, the music is classic great Treasure, and the action...

2quotn7.gif

Always try to slash projectiles that are large circles, or made out of physical material.

Its going to be fun figuring out how to get the special medal bonuses.

MemoirsofMimi said:
Everything from two onwards seemed to take forever in my eyes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm starting to think maybe I should've went with Isa first, But Kachi and that cute tail was so hard to resist.

Sin and Punishment 1 needs a remake so bad. Or at least a version that utilizes the WiiMote+Nunchuck. It feels so natural and that's always a great thing. I'm wondering what is everybody else using?

And yes. You gotta learn how to use the Melee right. Things die a lot quicker when you melee stuff into them. And there are some instances when that is the only thing that gets the job done. Just be careful in using it though. Abuse of melee will get you killed quick.

Just beat it on easy. Last boss had me sweating. The bullet hell attack made me smash my head, face first, repeatedly against the couch. Lava stage is definitely my favorite. Um... gonna restart on normal. I've got the lube ready.

I may be alone, but did anyone else think the ending
the extended one you get from Isa & Kachi mode
was kind of unnerving? Treasure certainly aren't masters of storytelling in games, but when
Kachi said she was Achi in that monotone voice and the music stopped, I was kind of surprised. It was the most obvious plot twist in the history of plot twists, and neither game had a particularly well-told plot, but Kachi faking her personality throughout the entire game and Isa being completely wrong about her, with no sign of learning the truth, was pretty surprising.

Teknoman

I never used lock on in the original...so is there any reason to do so here? I seem to be able to keep track of whatever I need to shoot.

Hiltz

The IR pointer is so fast and precise there's really no need for lock-on.

Never used lock-on in the sequel or in the original game.

The only boss fights I don't care for in the sequel are the ones against
the last form of the final boss which is kind of reminiscent of the last boss of the first game (which was actually fun). The other boss is that electrified blue maze in space station. It was kind of hard to keep track of your character and the boss itself felt uninspiring.

Hiltz said:
I repel missiles without the need for lock-on.

You must have perfect aim for them to hit moving targets.

Then again I can't comment on that since I decided to pick Kachi for my first run(cuz I'm a rebel).

Boney

Banned
gogojira said:
After the pointer, I couldn't go back to stylus. No way!

Kid Icarus will be enough
for now

Teknoman

Fimbulvetr said:

Then again I can't comment on that since I decided to pick Kachi for my first run(cuz I'm a rebel).

Playing with Isa first time through. Not too far, just at stage 3 now, and so far its pretty easy to just leave the crosshair in a certain spot while slashing. Nunchuck&wiimote style though.

So far i'm guessing the
manual tries to throw you off track, saying the Nebulox are just well trained humans from another Earth...either these guys have Achi or some other outer space person's blood running through them, because these powers are inhuman

Hiltz

Fimbulvetr said:

That's no to say that I can hit every missile launched at me. I just don't need to rely on using lock-on to repel them back at enemies.

For example, in the first stage, you can
reflect rockets fired from soldiers on the second level of the facility into those silver machine-like spiders.

In the second stage,
you can reflect the missiles that appear on the side of the screen and launch them into the background to hit the blue aircraft carrier.

In the third stage,
you can repel missiles fired from machines on an assembly line in the background. There's another part where you can repel missiles at those two-legged Star Wars-like AT-ATs that run in front of you.

In the fifth stage,
you can repel missiles at transformer airplane enemies.

Galang

Banned
The only problem I can remember with repelling missiles was on stage 6
fighting against Deko. I would panic with everything flying at me and somehow kept messing up, even after taking out the robots. That was the hardest boss of the game for me :S.

I had to adjust the brightness and settings on the tv because at certain parts the color kind of contrasted with the character and had me hella confused with where I was and what was going on. :lol
The boss fight on the final stage with the blue static electricity where you're going down, wow.

MemoirsofMimi said:
Everything from two onwards seemed to take forever in my eyes.

Just replayed a few stages again and it actually does feel like that. Wish we we able to access certain parts of levels at the least. It makes my time to do full runs limited, since my time for gaming is already minimal.

Noooooooooo.....

I just got home to find a post office slip at my door. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to get my hands on the game, and my GF has friends coming from out of town who will be taking over our living room for the weekend, so I won't get a chance to actually sit down with it until Sunday evening.

:(

sammy

I'm soaking this game up and not rushing it one bit, I hear some great things to look forward to in the harder difficulties. I needed a Treasure fix, and this game is candy

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I am #29 on the INTERNATIONAL leaderboard for Isa Normal Stage 7. My score only includes the 2 stages of the final boss.

This is simultaneously a testament to the lower number of people on the leaderboard and how fucking hard that final boss is.

THOSE 6 ORBS
THOSE 6 FUCKING ORBS

Edit: WTF. That leaderboard has only 52 people on it!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I get to review this for PALGN yay!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Just remember, 11 is more extreme than 10.

I'm already giving it 1,000,000/10.

Does this game really have so few people playing it that I can be in the top 20 on the Regional boards?

I like to be able to see my name up there, but man......

kiryogi

Banned
So seriously...

Help with the Shaman? In particular I have trouble with her first phase's desperation attacks. Really not sure how to dodge it. I've gotten around it a few times by guessing or lucking out with the blue orbs. I always lose so much health to that attack. Really gets me when she starts tossing out the waves and attacking at the same time.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I may be alone, but did anyone else think the ending
the extended one you get from Isa & Kachi mode
was kind of unnerving? Treasure certainly aren't masters of storytelling in games, but when
Kachi said she was Achi in that monotone voice and the music stopped, I was kind of surprised. It was the most obvious plot twist in the history of plot twists, and neither game had a particularly well-told plot, but Kachi faking her personality throughout the entire game and Isa being completely wrong about her, with no sign of learning the truth, was pretty surprising.

I've heard about that and thought it was quite interesting. For a sequel, it doesn't really have much in common with its predecessor,
except in the forest level when they look into the water.

How do you unlock this extended ending?

robot

loving the controls, playing with a perfect shot and it's really fun. while I normally hate wagglin', I kinda wish that was the way to do close attacks/deflect. I wanna swat that shit away!

Regulus Tera said:
Look at the leaderboards.

Then weep. :(
Oh well, at least it couldn't possibly perform worse than the original game did at retail :lol

It really frustrates me though. Even when I show amazing games like TvC and this to my (wii-owning) friends, and they enjoy and are impressed by them, they still don't end up buying it :(

stuminus3

Lack of players on the leaderboards might be more of an indication of how few Wii owners may even have their consoles online. Though it's a catch 22, I'd imagine the kind of people who don't have their Wii set up online aren't going to buy a game like this, anyway.

It also does that "do you want to upload your high score?" thing that reconnects to Nintendo WFC every time you want to do it. I don't have scores on a number of boards yet because I've just said "no".

I don't expect this to do nearly as good as Nintendo probably want it to, either way.

EDIT:

_dementia said:
Even when I show amazing games like TvC and this to my (wii-owning) friends, and they enjoy and are impressed by them, they still don't end up buying it :(

Yeah, this is as annoying as fuck. I put on House of the Dead Overkill for a guy I know from work the other day and went through the first level, he was totally blown away by it. Then he tells me he can't wait til they make it for Move. Even though it hasn't been announced for PS3, and he didn't even know the game existed until I showed it to him. He also makes it a habit to tell people he hasn't touched his Wii since Mario Kart came out. Duh.

Top Bottom