• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I've been playing this game for the past couple of days now and it reminds me of how great Treasure games are. Despite the fact that this game is longer than the original, they also packed with a ton of variety. It's such a rare gem that everything about it comes together so well. They keep throwing different enemies and bosses at you to keep you hooked. It helps that the levels are all very unique as well. Anyway, I'm glad to see a lot of people are enjoying this game, because it truly is one of the top 5 games available on Wii. Treasure has done an outstanding job with it.

Hiltz

I'm pretty satisfied with the game's length as it makes it easy to get back into for replays.

By the way, does anyone start to feel dizzy during the credits with the rotating space background ?

Anyway, I beat the game as both Isa and Kachi.

My Wii is connected online but I have yet to enter any ranking scores.

Is it just me or is this a lot harder than the original? :lol I beat the game on easy, now I'll replay it until I can beat it without dying like thos Nintendo dudes.

getting the wii online if you have a wired household is a pain in the ass

i had to buy the wired adapter to get mine online, the nintendo wifi usb adapter is actually hilarious in how incredibly poor it works.

i've been obsessed with the scoring system, got 105 million points last night on "entire game" and look forward to improving it over time

it's alot of fun to get home from work and play a game like this for about an hour.

Teknoman

Does co-op work as well as I think it would? I know P2 is just a crosshair and not a character, but can P2 lock on/charge shot, or just normal bullets?

Playing this inspired me to go back and play some more of the first one. I got it on VC a while ago but didn't get very far, one of the problems was I never got really comfortable with the controls. What do people recommend, classic controller vs gamecube controller? And which of the 3 controller setups?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
On stage 5 now.
Man, they certainly aren't creatively bankrupt when it comes to their over-the-top shooters.
Jeebus!

MechaX

Alright.. Just got paid in a Balrog-esque fashion, traded two games in (if I only knew about that additional $10 for every three current gen games deal...), and picked this game up for $31. I did like the first Sin and Punishment despite how the plot was incomprehensible, the controls were a bit awkward, and the game could be beaten in a sitting by blitzing through it.

But from what I've been hearing about the length, 5-6 hours is pretty damn long for an arcade shooter like this. Time to hook up the Wii and experience what I'm hoping will be a really crazy experience.

Teknoman

voodoopanda said:
Playing this inspired me to go back and play some more of the first one. I got it on VC a while ago but didn't get very far, one of the problems was I never got really comfortable with the controls. What do people recommend, classic controller vs gamecube controller? And which of the 3 controller setups?

For S&P 1: If you have a classic controller pro, use that. If not, use gamecube.

The first game's plot actually makes a little sense by the end of the game...well as much sense as can be made in that game world. The manual for 2 helps elaborate.

Korigama

Saved at the start of stage 4 last time I played
(was really impressed by the lighting and general detail of the forest)

The fight with
Hibaru
in stage 3 was probably my favorite one so far
(being able to deflect her sword attacks with your own and leave her stunned after two in a row brought back memories of the Viola A.I.-possessed Ardjet fight in ZOE2)

Mejilan

Finished it with Isa tonight, and played the first two stages with Kachi.
Excellent, excellent stuff.
Though despite the somewhat similar mechanics, the final boss wasn't nearly as epic in this game as it was in the first. That's really my only complaint, though.

Not a huge fan of Kachi's auto-aiming, but I absolutely love her lock on attack.
It takes quite a bit longer to unleash its full effect, but damn is it satisfying when you do!

Mejilan said:
Finished it with Isa tonight, and played the first two stages with Kachi.
Excellent, excellent stuff.
Though despite the somewhat similar mechanics, the final boss wasn't nearly as epic in this game as it was in the first. That's really my only complaint, though.

Not a huge fan of Kachi's auto-aiming, but I absolutely love her lock on attack.
It takes quite a bit longer to unleash its full effect, but damn is it satisfying when you do!
I just finished it tonight and these are pretty much my feelings on the game too. I thought the last level was pretty damn epic. I think maybe I should have played on easy to begin with as I died quite a bit on normal. It wasn't anything a few tries didn't make me better at the fights.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are there any other major unlockables besides Isa and Kachi mode? Any incentive for completing hard mode besides bragging rights?

Beat the game with both Isa and Kachi to get Isa and Kachi mode. Beat the game with Isa and Kachi mode to unlock the alternate versions of both characters.

Isa and Kachi mode almost feels like cheating.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not sure there are any sections where I'd prefer to use Kachi...

Anyway, finally went online and uploaded my scores under DJW. I'm #5 (185m points, Isa) for overall score in the US :D I can't fathom how #1 topped 300m.

You can hit - to switch out. They each have their own separate health bars
(although they share life in stage 7, and also you can't switch out during the very final fight of stage 6)
and separate cooldown times (so you can throw out a charged shot with Isa, then switch to Kachi and use her special). When you switch out, you're left immobile and unable to attack for about a second, though.

When you unlock the option to switch the characters' firing modes, that carries over too (so if you set Kachi to manual aim, both characters will have that if you play in Isa and Kachi).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^ Oh wow. I just assumed you switched characters/abilities, never would have guessed they had separate health bars and whatnot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dan said:
I'm not sure there are any sections where I'd prefer to use Kachi...

Definitely not on any bosses, but she has her uses when you're going through the stages normally. The start of Round 6 (with all the missiles) immediately comes to mind. And her different charged shot can definitely come in handy in certain instances.

I think Kachi's auto aim is almost useless, since if you're reflecting projectiles, you could just use Isa's lock-on. The only reason to use Kachi is her special, so I always set her to manual aim.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Beat the game with both Isa and Kachi to get Isa and Kachi mode. Beat the game with Isa and Kachi mode to unlock the alternate versions of both characters.

On any difficulty?

Edit: What are the alternate versions like? Just alternate skins?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
voodoopanda said:
N64 > CC Pro > CC > GCN

I wouldn't even bother trying S&P1 VC without some kind of CC. The default controls most-closely mimic the original N64 layout, so that's what I stick with.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Glass Soldier said:
On any difficulty?

Edit: What are the alternate versions like? Just alternate skins?

Isa gets Kachi's auto-shot while Kachi gets Isa's manual shot.

Their charge shots remain the same.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:

For clarification purposes is that 2 different saves? Beating Story Mode with Isa and Kachi? Beating Stage 7 with both of them in Stage Select? I'd figured I ask so I know because I started a separate file with Isa yesterday to play Story Mode with him and and alternate with a Kachi play.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Probably has to be the entire game as each character, and on the same save file.

Difficulty doesn't matter though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you actually have to play through a full game with each character. I don't think you can just jump around with stage select and beat every level that way after you've beaten it once to get the unlockables.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Decided to finally unwrap this: I'm number 4 in Stage 1 Easy in the United States after my first try.

I'm sad. This game gonna bomb so hard. :(

I just started playing the game and have only completed stages 0, 1, and 2 on Hard.

The first Boss' music is from Gunstar Heroes right?
Any more audio or visual references to past games?
I see the Ikaruga font on the loading screens too.

kiryogi

Banned
_dementia said:
I just started playing the game and have only completed stages 0, 1, and 2 on Hard.

The first Boss' music is from Gunstar Heroes right?
Any more audio or visual references to past games?
I see the Ikaruga font on the loading screens too.

Felt like to me they were using the Ikaruga iface in general for Sin 2.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
OK, I'm up to the fight with
Orion Tsang
, stage 7 on Normal mode... finally made it this far, after beating the shaman in stage 4, the rest of the game hasn't been that difficult (a few retries here and there, but nothing that frustrated me that much)...

but after destroying the tentacles that spit out bullets at you, I can't for the life of me figure out how to damage him. Looks like after him, I have one more boss fight before the final showdown... just want to get this over with. (and then restart on Easy with Isa of course).

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Regulus Tera said:
I'm sad. This game gonna bomb so hard. :(

You're not the only one who thinks that. It's a shame really because Wii owners complain about not having many mature games like this but when they come along, they ignore them.

I beat the game earlier with Kachi and I gotta say I really love what Treasure did here. Lots of throwbacks to 1 and other games and some of the payoffs via the boss battles were sweet.
That Stage 6 Street Fight was beauty. Loved it. It reminded me of Snake and Liquid on the Rex in MGS1.
But I do have a question though. How do I get more of an ending because I know that can't be it. I would assume you'd have to beat the game in Isa and Kachi mode but correct me if I'm wrong. I really hope more people pick this game up. I'm gonna have a lot to say when I review it but all I'll be able to say are good things.

Hiltz

ReXXXSoprano said:
I beat the game earlier with Kachi and I gotta say I really love what Treasure did here. Lots of throwbacks to 1 and other games and some of the payoffs via the boss battles were sweet.
That Stage 6 Street Fight was beauty. Loved it. It reminded me of Snake and Liquid on the Rex in MGS1.
But I do have a question though. How do I get more of an ending because I know that can't be it. I would assume you'd have to beat the game in Isa and Kachi mode but correct me if I'm wrong. I really hope more people pick this game up. I'm gonna have a lot to say when I review it but all I'll be able to say are good things.

The second ending is shown after you beat the game with
Isa and Kachi mode . Of course, you can just stick to using one of the characters during the third playthrough as you don't have to switch between them if you don't want to. In addition, once you beat the game with Isa & Kachi mode, you'll unlock the ability to select between manual aim and auto- aim for both characters.

djtiesto said:
OK, I'm up to the fight with
Orion Tsang
, stage 7 on Normal mode... finally made it this far, after beating the shaman in stage 4, the rest of the game hasn't been that difficult (a few retries here and there, but nothing that frustrated me that much)...

but after destroying the tentacles that spit out bullets at you, I can't for the life of me figure out how to damage him. Looks like after him, I have one more boss fight before the final showdown... just want to get this over with. (and then restart on Easy with Isa of course).

There's only one way to damage Orion Tsang during this boss fight. You'll have to focus on shooting at
the white statue that appears on the front of the spaceship. However, it will often close and open up from a compartment so you'll have to wait for it to open in order to target and shoot at the statue.

Mejilan

Wow, the two player mode wasn't thought through much.
It becomes stupidly easy to the point of game-breaking!

Still insanely fun, though! :)

Hiltz

Question. Who and what is that character that appears as a
talking brain with a spinal cord inside a glass tube
in one of the cut scenes ?

Anyone else bothered by how bad the voice acting is during the second ending when Kachi says
she's Achi
?

Mejilan said:
Wow, the two player mode wasn't thought through much.
as soon as I heard about it, i knew it was a throwaway mode that was tossed it to fill a bullet point on the back of the box, nothing more.

Hiltz said:
Question. Who and what is that character that appears as a
talking brain with a spinal cord inside a glass tube
in one of the cut scenes ?

If I'm not mistaken that's
Tseng
after Kachi kicks the shit outta him.

totowhoa

Banned
_dementia said:
as soon as I heard about it, i knew it was a throwaway mode that was tossed it to fill a bullet point on the back of the box, nothing more.

Haven't tried it yet, but I can see myself having fun with it on a friday or saturday night with my fiance after a few drinks. We've both been big fans of S&P since it hit VC, and while the mode is a bit "throwaway", I expect that I'll enjoy a few fun and lighthearted play-throughs with it :D

Mejilan

_dementia said:

I figured it would be as well.
But I also figured that they would tweak the difficulty at least a little bit to account for having almost double the firepower.
Not only that, but since the second player shoots from "outside" the screen, instead of from the character's gun, their fire won't be stymied by obstacles and whatnot.

It's really crazy to see how quickly boss meters deplete when both my brother and I focus our fire on the same point at the same time.

Still, insanely fun! :)

Top Bottom