• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

So, uhh, help on stage 6?
The second form of Deco, with the cloak, kicks my ass. What's the trick? I noticed I can slash the cloak-dragon thing when it flies in close, but that doesn't seem to do much.

Help, pwetty please?

Tranced Shadow said:
So, uhh, help on stage 6?
The second form of Deco, with the cloak, kicks my ass. What's the trick? I noticed I can slash the cloak-dragon thing when it flies in close, but that doesn't seem to do much.

Help, pwetty please?

See the bombs around you? Most of them are the same color, but some are purple. Hit the purple ones with melee attacks and they fly at him. Also you can deflect his rocket launcher attack if you time it right.

Hiltz

Mr. Spinnington said:
that's it i fold. will buy this game when i get home

i have enough amazon credit that it should be $30 shipped, what a deal ;D

If you've got $20 off Amazon credit then you'll only pay $29.99. If you haven't done so, try using the one time free trial of Amazon Prime. It will ship the game for free in 1-2 days and then you can just simply cancel the free Amazon Prime trial after you get the game. That way, you won't get automatically charged once the free trial is over with.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I've completed this game twice, once with each character. Unfortunately for me, I played it on two different save files and didn't unlock the extra mode.

Oh well, gives me an excuse to play through the game two more times.

Hiltz

MemoirsofMimi said:
I've completed this game twice, once with each character. Unfortunately for me, I played it on two different save files and didn't unlock the extra mode.

Oh well, gives me an excuse to play through the game two more times.

Don't ya hate it when that happens ? Anyway, like you said, it gives you an excuse to play through it again. That's certainly not a bad thing. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
2e1fv3c.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So I was going to play Isa & Kachi mode on hard, but I just don't think I can do it. I can't get myself to start a hard mode playthrough. Normal almost had me making emergency calls to my therapist.

Keep practicing on Normal. If you can beat every individual level on Normal without dying (which isn't too hard to accomplish), then you can beat Hard.

Well, I would think that if he had that much trouble with Normal, then jumping right into Hard would just get him nowhere. By the time I could beat every level on Normal without dying (not the whole game), Hard was about as difficult as my first playthrough.

Uh... I'll play normal with Isa & Kachi together, then I'll go from there. I got through Normal okay, but there were parts like the final boss and the boss of stage 6 that made me just want to cry.

MechaX

Phew... Beat Isa Mode. I actually didn't expect the game to just go flat out into bullet hell territory in the last two levels. It was pretty difficult to get used to since it's my first playthrough, but it was definitely fun none-the-less. Too bad the game doesn't have a mode where you can just practice on individual bosses (or at least I don't think so).

Now I'm on Stage 4 on Kachi's playthrough, and personally, I like her Multi-lock a lot better than Isa's charge shot. Personally, I feel right at home with Kachi's Panzer Dragoon-esque style with the Multilock. Although, I hope there's a way to fix her little auto-aim-only problem after I finish Normal mode with her. If I can put her normal shots on manual, then I'll most likely play this game a lot more than I thought I would (as in, with Kachi on manual, I'll have the motivation to play on Hard Mode and such).

Fun, addicting game so far. Too bad it'll probably criminally underperform in sales, because every Wii owner should give this game a look.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MechaX said:
Now I'm on Stage 4 on Kachi's playthrough, and personally, I like her Multi-lock a lot better than Isa's charge shot. Personally, I feel right at home with Kachi's Panzer Dragoon-esque style with the Multilock. Although, I hope there's a way to fix her little auto-aim-only problem after I finish Normal mode with her. If I can put her normal shots on manual, then I'll most likely play this game a lot more than I thought I would (as in, with Kachi on manual, I'll have the motivation to play on Hard Mode and such).

You can. Just finish Isa & Kachi mode once.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Picked it up this morning and have playing it all day. This is the funnest Wii game I've played in a long time. I actually like it a bit better than MP3, and I loved MP3. For someone who hates motion control I love the gameplay. Controls are tight. Graphics are fluid and beautiful. Sound effects are crisp. I played S&P1 lastnight, and IMO the music is just a bit better than S&P2. Don't get me wrong though. The S&P2's soundtrack is very good. A must have for your Wii collection.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not really sure what the motion controls comment's all about.
I don't think the game even uses motions. Ever.

I'm playing Isa & Kachi mode now. I'm warming up to Kachi. There's a few parts where I actually prefer using her to Isa. When I did my Kachi-only run, all I wanted was Isa's charge shot back.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mejilan said:
Pointing at the screen is a motion!

Pressing buttons is a motion too!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:

I prefer moving an analog stick with my thumb instead of pointing and shooting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished Kachi. Absolutely adored the game.

Question though from reading wikipedia, regarding the end of the game;
Wikipedia says that during the last seen Kachi reveals that she is Achi from the first game. I swear this cutscene never happened for me. After defending Kachi from Deko, the credits pretty much roll straight away. Did I simply miss something, or does this revelation take place once you beat both Isa and Kachi mode?

Korigama

Started my second play on normal, this time with Kachi. Liking the multi-lock charge, and even managed to clear stage 1 without dying (before, stage 0 was the only one my scrubby skills could manage that on).

this goes right in the hardcore hall of fame. i can't stop trying to outdo my stupid scores! :lol

it's the type of game that makes me wonder if my 11 year old self could beat my score

Teknoman

Man no company does bosses or action game music better than Treasure. The recent Contra titles from Konami are certainly close, but Sin and Punishment 2 just cut all of them down.

Stage 3 is pure crazy. Hopefully Treasure is working on something else as well...we've already got Ikaruga HD, Sin and Punishment 2, and i'm guessing one or two more are on the way. They seem to only make about 2-3, maybe 4 games a generation.

Speaking of which, anyone know whats up with this website?

http://www.gunstarheroes.com/

Its just the logo of the game in black and white, nothing else.

Hiltz

EatChildren said:
Finished Kachi. Absolutely adored the game.

Question though from reading Wikipedia, regarding the end of the game;
Wikipedia says that during the last seen Kachi reveals that she is Achi from the first game. I swear this cut scene never happened for me. After defending Kachi from Deko, the credits pretty much roll straight away. Did I simply miss something, or does this revelation take place once you beat both Isa and Kachi mode?

The game has a second ending once you do a third play through using Isa & Kachi mode. You unlock that mode when you beat the game once with Isa and Kachi separately.

Even after my 3rd and 4th play through, I've been finding these little things that I didn't notice before. For example, during the first boss in the first level
( mechanical spider) , you can shoot at the ceiling blocks directly above it to make them fall on top of the boss.
I also noticed that in the last level, you can shoot at those isolated
cylinder satellite devices that can be seen during the boss fight against the rotating satellites lasers on the far sides of the screen
. In the
desert level
where you fight the
sand tiger-bird boss, I think if you shoot out the yellow circles in its wings, it will eventually do a fast melee attack where it rushes towards the screen

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hero said:
This game is awesome.
fact.

i don't think another shooter will be able to top that this gen.

Hiltz said:
If you've got $20 off Amazon credit then you'll only pay $29.99. If you haven't done so, try using the one time free trial of Amazon Prime. It will ship the game for free in 1-2 days and then you can just simply cancel the free Amazon Prime trial after you get the game. That way, you won't get automatically charged once the free trial is over with.
that's the plan and it's what i did [minus prime, i've used that trial twice ;D]

shipped today, woohoo

Teknoman said:
Man no company does bosses or action game music better than Treasure. The recent Contra titles from Konami are certainly close, but Sin and Punishment 2 just cut all of them down.

Stage 3 is pure crazy. Hopefully Treasure is working on something else as well...we've already got Ikaruga HD, Sin and Punishment 2, and i'm guessing one or two more are on the way. They seem to only make about 2-3, maybe 4 games a generation.

Well, Maegawa has repeatedly stated that he'd like to release some of their older titles outside of Japan like Radiant Silvergun (apparently MS asked for it) but as far as I remember that has been put on hold like that new shmup for the 360. I'm not sure but he seems to be a really talkative guy and I don't really know how much of the things he says can be taken seriously (I know for a fact though that Sin & Punishment 2 has been hinted several times before the announcement). In interviews he seemed pretty open to the idea of a Wario Land styled game, an FPS and so on. Who knows, they might actually release that new 360 shooter.

Teknoman said:
Speaking of which, anyone know whats up with this website?

http://www.gunstarheroes.com/

Its just the logo of the game in black and white, nothing else.

Probably just some dick being... a dick.

Teknoman

Glass Soldier said:
Well, Maegawa has repeatedly stated that he'd like to release some of their older titles outside of Japan like Radiant Silvergun (apparently MS asked for it) but as far as I remember that has been put on hold like that new shmup for the 360. I'm not sure but he seems to be a really talkative guy and I don't really know how much of the things he says can be taken seriously (I know for a fact though that Sin & Punishment 2 has been hinted several times before the announcement). In interviews he seemed pretty open to the idea of a Wario Land styled game, an FPS and so on. Who knows, they might actually release that new 360 shooter.

Probably just some dick being... a dick.

Aww :lol Was hoping some new Gunstar might have been in the works.

Anyway wtf at the
Gryphon Keeper
. I just beat it...but dodging its claw strikes is really hard, unless you're supposed to do it at the last minute. Gotta love those chase style stages though.

Teknoman said:
Anyway wtf at the
Gryphon Keeper
. I just beat it...but dodging its claw strikes is really hard, unless you're supposed to do it at the last minute. Gotta love those chase style stages though.

Don't dodge physical attacks, parry them with your own melee moves.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Such an awesome game. Did my second playthrough. I just love the style, and the music gets better each time you listen to it. I just wish I could see how I rank against my friends.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Why the fuck gamers want me to get off this hobby? Why didn't you buy this game, WHYYYY?!!
I mean, if you don't like this game you really have no reason to even BE a frickin' gamer, you either are Amirox have no soul or no taste.

Wii 2 3 needs to be released stat so they can put out S&P2 on the Virtual console, people will buy it and Nintendo/Treasure will be tricked again into making Sin&puni 3.
It's really a win win situation.

Boney

Banned
Kid Icarus will fulfill my cravings a bit, but yeah... 10 years from now, I will need part 3. With even more nonsense!

Dascu

Some notes:

- :lol :lol @ the "Sagat" battle
- Lots of stages and bossfights remind me of Gradius V
- Bossrush in stage 7 is fantastic.
- However, didn't like some of the "puzzle battles" in stage 6. Cheap gameovers until you figure out what you're supposed to do.
- Very last fight is awesome. I didn't know you could shoot the balls though.

This game shows how creative Treasure is. They adeptly shift between several types of shooters, from rail-shooter to 2D sidescroller to bullethell. But not only that, before you know it you're playing the game as a fighter or a puzzler or even a platformer. It's insane how well designed this game is. It's the Super Mario Galaxy of shooters.

So in the Sin & Punishment 2 thread over at shmups, MrMonkeyMan posted some video of godlike play from Japanese players.

Spoiler alert obviously. This shit is crazy.

MrMonkeyMan said:
I'm just going to post all the best videos I've found.

Stage 0, hard - 26 million

Stage 1, hard - 44 million

Stage 2, hard - 150 million
Part 1
Part 2

Stage 3, hard - 100 million
Part 1
Part 2

Stage 4, hard - 125 million
Part 1
Part 2

Stage 5, hard - 55 million

Stage 6, normal - 103 million
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Stage 7, hard - 100 million
Part 1
Part 2

yeah that guy has some seriously good tactics for efficiency.

took some notes! now i gotta see if i can crack 20 million in the n/a release, it looks like you can score higher in the japanese version?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
adversesolutions said:
So in the Sin & Punishment 2 thread over at shmups, MrMonkeyMan posted some video of godlike play from Japanese players.

Spoiler alert obviously. This shit is crazy.

Mein Gott.

Way to figure out how to farm points from standing still.

quinntendopower said:
yeah that guy has some seriously good tactics for efficiency.

took some notes! now i gotta see if i can crack 20 million in the n/a release, it looks like you can score higher in the japanese version?

The NA and European version hand out a lot more medals.

gogojira

Just beat it last night. Excellent game, indeed. The end credits rolling over the constantly turning background nearly made me sick though. :lol

GeekyDad

I thought the game was just okay. Played through with Isa, and then about halfway with Kachi. I had fun with it, but it feels a bit outdated. I was thinking the melee combat, too, would be more enjoyable than it was. Good game; just glad I rented it rather than shelling out for it. It's a weekend game, nothing more.

My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire. My blood is on fire.

I cannot beat this bitch on hard.

Edit:

Okay. You can parry her attacks once she starts dumping the rocks on you. Who knew?

Regulus Tera said:
We should start calling Ariana Shami the "noob bridge" or something. :lol

The truth hurts. :(

Do I at least get sympathy points since I didn't need to figure that out until I started my run on Hard?

Top Bottom