• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singer has offered Tom Welling the role of Superman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

Singer asks Tom Welling to play Superman

Posted on Thr, 5-Aug-2004

You "Smallville" fans might want to sit down for this one.

Tom Welling, television's Clark Kent, has been offered the role of "Superman", says Superman-v.com.

According to the site, fan-favourite Welling has recieved an offer from director Bryan Singer - they want him for a two picture deal apparently - but he's yet to say yay or nay. Welling's been a little reluctant to play Superman before this, so it might take some swaying (a couple of million should do it).

Welling apparently has two to three weeks to let Singer know whether he'd like to wear the cape.

http://www.superman-v.com/

:eek:
:)

Hmm, I think it's kind of weird to have him on Smallville and the movie. Makes it seem kind of confusing, unless the two are connected.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I think he's really great, but he does look very boyish. That makes him perfect for Smallville, but I wish this was 10 years from now and then he'd be a greta choice.

Still better than most of the names I see thrown around. But it'd be weird if they don't keep it in line with Smallville, even if it's set further on. And seeing as some characters who are bound to appear have been cast in Smallville already, they'd have to use the same ones for that to work, and that seems unlikely (and stupid).

FightyF

Banned
I think he's really great, but he does look very boyish. That makes him perfect for Smallville, but I wish this was 10 years from now and then he'd be a greta choice.

IAWTP to the max

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well, they slap alot of makeup on him for Smallville to make him look younger. He's actually around 27, and by the time this movie ever actually sees the light, he's probably gonna be 30, so I think he'll be able to pull it off. He does a really good job of portraying Clark, so hopefully that'll translate into his playing a good Superman. Guess we'll see...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Felidae_Khrall said:
Dean Cain needs to be approached! He's got the look!

I think Dean Cain needs to stick to his cheesey direct-to-TV TNT movies. They seem to be his forte.

no thanks. Welling looks too young. If this movie is really not an orgin movie, and will take on from where the original movies left off (with Superman already in his prime) they need to get an older actor, not some dude that passes for a teenager. Hell, i'd take Eric Bana or the Jim Cavezial(sp?) over Welling.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Dean Cain will always be superman to me, lol.

Welling will work though, they can easily make him look older with some creative make up and a change in hair style and wardrobe (so long plaid shirts! see ya in hell!)

The WB doesnt want to step on its own toes and wreck Smallville prematurely by hiring another Supes for the films.

border

Yeah, but if they hire Welling, won't there be an perceived need to have to carry over other Smallville actors?

I would rather see the film with an original cast.

Bacon said:
Hmm, I think it's kind of weird to have him on Smallville and the movie. Makes it seem kind of confusing, unless the two are connected.
It would be weird, but there are similar precedents. Like Timothy Bottoms playing George W. Bush in both That's My Bush! and DC 9/11.

FightyF

Banned
I think they should abandon the movie.

I'd rather keep watching Smallville...and maybe see a spin off show in the future called "Metropolis" if I ever wanted to see Superman in action.

evil ways

Well if it ends up being true at least it's a smart move by Singer and WB as far as money goes, cause now they have secured the large teenage girl fanbase from the TV show. Now cue in the love intrest and a lame emo rock soundtrack and you've got yourself a probable hit.

MASB

tedtropy said:
I think Dean Cain needs to stick to his cheesey direct-to-TV TNT movies. They seem to be his forte.
Low blow! Low blow! ;)

As for Tom Welling, he's not a bad choice at all for the role, though Christopher Reeve will always be the movie Superman to me.

MASB said:
Low blow! Low blow! ;)

As for Tom Welling, he's not a bad choice at all for the role, though Christopher Reeve will always be the movie Superman to me.

Is it just me, or is the only reason they picked Welling in the first place is because he sorta looks like Reeve?

Broken_Hearts_Club.JPG

RiZ III said:
Why the hell are they letting Singer direct Superman. He already ruined XMen.

X-Men
Production Budget: $75 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $22.7 million
Domestic Total Gross: $157,299,717
Profit: $59,599,717

X2: X-Men United
Production Budget: $110 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $40 million
Domestic Total Gross: $214,949,694
Profit: $64,949,694

Total Profit*: $124,549,411

* Not counting overseas gross, dvd sales, toy sales, etc.

Its called safe bet.

Oh, and he directed Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil, both really good movies, that were also very profitable.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't like this... the movie better not be a teen drama flick like the television show because that's old already... it's time to see superman blow shit up neo style

L&C:TNAOS >>>>>> Smallville

That being said I think Dean Cain is past his prime as far as Superman goes. Can't even begin to think of a good replacement. Matt Damon maybe.

trippingmartian said:
L&C:TNAOS >>>>>> Smallville

That being said I think Dean Cain is past his prime as far as Superman goes. Can't even begin to think of a good replacement. Matt Damon maybe.

Because Matt Damon really needs another bankable film franchise that would keep me from another bourne film even longer.

jett

D-Member
Tom Welling looks too young. And too stupid, too.

Doesn't matter. I hope this movie sucks and bombs.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
sp0rsk said:
whatever, tom welling is superman. adult or teenage.

IAWTP.

flag_superposeAdenjo.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Why its only Supes dude...grow a pair :p

Mairu

sp0rsk said:
whatever, tom welling is superman. adult or teenage.
IAWTP

I'm disappointed that Singer is abandoning X-Men for Superman, but if he gets Welling for Superman it should be interesting.

Matrix

LOL...I'll buy you some superman underoo's

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wow....that actually looks really good. Maybe it would work.

I don't see him accepting anyway, he doesn't want Superman to follow him round forever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ConfusingJazz said:
X-Men
Production Budget: $75 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $22.7 million
Domestic Total Gross: $157,299,717
Profit: $59,599,717

X2: X-Men United
Production Budget: $110 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $40 million
Domestic Total Gross: $214,949,694
Profit: $64,949,694

Total Profit*: $124,549,411

* Not counting overseas gross, dvd sales, toy sales, etc.
For the record, this completely ignores that fact that theaters get to keep some of that gross...

But yeah, Singer obviously did pretty great things with the franchise, and kicked the second one up a notch in both quality and box office earnings.

I'm not sure how I'd think about Welling getting the role. I haven't seen Smallville, but it seems to me that having the same actor would make it pretty weird. It'd confuse fans if the movie and series weren't connected, and if they were connected it would only alienate portions of the potential audience.

karasu

I really hope someone else gets to play the part. I mean sure Welling looks a little like Reeves and he COULD gain weight. He does ok in Smallville, but his voice is all wrong. Superman is kind of a mans man, he's full of experience and he has a really commanding/awe inspiring presence. Welling does not. Neither does Dean Cain lol. Welling is a little too wet behind the ears to be seen as a Symbol for anything, an Icon.

Superman!

3jlee5.jpg

Superboy:

cast.jpg

Cafeman

Chris Reeves was only 30 or 31 when he starred in Superman.

Welling is the best choice IMHO and the most obvious. He needs to totally lose the unsure / Clark Smallville personality though; I hope he has the acting chops to play a different character. Superman is not Smallville Clark.

karasu

Reeves had the presence though. Even with the flashbacks you didn't see him as a boy finally becoming a Man (like you will with Welling), he WAS the man. He looked like he gave a shit and it felt that he actually represented everything Superman "represents". Welling looks like he doesn't really wanna be there, and he has too much baggage from Smallville. All of the pining and whining etc. And dangit I'll say it again, the voice. After the two awful sounding animated versions of Superman we've had over the past few years I want someone with a badass voice to play the character (not Batman type badass). lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I trust that singer knows what he's doing, he did a good job with most if not all of the Xmen characters in bringing them to life, and thats whats required here, a Reeve take off isnt going to cut it because times have changed.

Yes Welling plays a highschooler in Smallville but the guy is 27 years old...

edit: Ok IMDB wont let me download or link the image or go here to see
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz...84148.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Welling, Tom

..as you can see, and that was taken 3 years ago.

Underneath the flattering make up, lighting and camera angles they use to make him look some what younger in Smallville he does have the right look for the role.

Cafeman said:
Chris Reeves was only 30 or 31 when he starred in Superman.

Welling is the best choice IMHO and the most obvious. He needs to totally lose the unsure / Clark Smallville personality though; I hope he has the acting chops to play a different character. Superman is not Smallville Clark.

actually Reeves was like 25 when the first Superman was made. The more i think about it, i think Welling could be a pretty good choice, but i honestly haven't seen enough of the guy. I just hope they don't translate Smallville--->Superman Returns. Welling should be the ONLY link. Like most of you, i don't want Smallville:The Movie. Especially not that douchebag that plays Luthor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom