• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, that was interesting. I stole a taxi after it dropped me off so I could drive it to the nearby cockfighting area, only to hit something which rebounded me up towards a shipping container, which itself hurled me skywards not unlike a rocket, finally settling in the ether:

hkship2012-08-3020-29q7k6p.jpg

Edit: Haha, it happened again! And this time I got a 185m car jump stat out of it.

test_account

XP-39C²
About halfway through the game (i guess) i
got a call from Not-Ping (or something like that), but right after i saw that call on the cellphone, someone else called me instead. Was this a bug, or did i miss something story related? This was after i had gone on a date with her.

Also, is it possible to get the trophy where you have to
kill/beat 10 people using different enviorment stuff
without having to do special missions? Is it possible to get it in the free-roam world only as well? Otherwise i must restart the story i think just to get that one trophy :\

Also, is it possible to get the trophy where you have to
kill/beat 10 people using different enviorment stuff
without having to do special missions? Is it possible to get it in the free-roam world only as well? Otherwise i must restart the story i think just to get that one trophy :

I don't know anything about trophies or achievements but you can replay story missions from the social hub so I would try that before you restart the whole game

Dilly

Banned
How do you throw a weapon with kb/m and what is the best mission to get that achievement quickly?

Didn't even know I could throw weapons.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You don't need to do any of the stat awards in missions. In fact you can do a lot of them against civilians.

Fuzzy

What does left trigger and right trigger do?

Yeah, but I need knifes and meat cleavers and such.
It's just hold R2 on PS3 which is the same as shooting when walking around or accelerate when driving.

Purses, crowbars (from trunks), etc.

Neiteio

About halfway through the game (i guess) i
got a call from Not-Ping (or something like that), but right after i saw that call on the cellphone, someone else called me instead. Was this a bug, or did i miss something story related? This was after i had gone on a date with her.
That's a bug, but one that can be overcome: as soon as Wei completes the wake-up animation, immediately hit A (or X, on PS3) to listen to the voicemail from Not-Ping. Then you'll get the text from Ricky.

As for what you missed, if you continued: Not much. It's the last you hear from her character.
She yells at you for cheating on her, having found out about Tiffany and Amanda, but then ends by saying, "Call me."
It's funny but could surely be found on a YouTube playthrough if you wanted to see it.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
What does left trigger and right trigger do?

Left Trigger: Aim weapon (guns)/Select Target (melee)
Right Trigger: Shoot (guns)/Throw weapon (melee)

So, you don't actually *need* to press the left trigger, it just helps.

Sorry, I don't have a Sleeping Dogs PC set-up near me, I'm afraid.

Dilly

Banned
Left Trigger: Aim weapon (guns)/Select Target (melee)
Right Trigger: Shoot (guns)/Throw weapon (melee)

So, you don't actually *need* to press the left trigger, it just helps.

Sorry, I don't have a Sleeping Dogs PC set-up near me, I'm afraid.

Weird, if I use the button to shoot, I just attack with the knife. I don't throw it. :/

MRORANGE

Monkeythumbz, could we have a option to turn auto-aim off for PC? trying to line up shots was a bit annoying with the mouse, I think that was my only complaint for the game, other than that the game was truly amazing.

I really really can't wait for new mission content and hopfully a Sleeping Dogs 2 :)

dibs on that |OT| ;p

Neiteio

When doing combination locks, I notice I'll often get the right number in one slot, but the turning motion won't reverse, so I'll end up having to do that slot's number once or twice more before it goes to the motion for the next slot. Is this supposed to happen? I doubt it... Not a hassle but it does take longer this way.

Beyond that and a few other glitches, and maybe the desire for a free-range camera option and the ability to replay -all- missions, this game is pretty damn perfect. Pass that along to your boss, Monkeythumbz! I hope they're pleased with the positive feedback they're getting and don't let the occasional critique rain on their parade. Story, combat, driving, shooting, hacking, free-running, hell, even lifestyle elements like eating and wearing clothes -- all great!

Speaking of lifestyle elements, I'd love to see more of them in DLC or a sequel. Make the apartments expandable and fully customizable like Animal Crossing, with more furniture, appliances and decor, and the ability to place them however you see fit. Maybe add some more minigames, too, like arcade minigames in an arcade, or dance-offs in back alleys. Basically, more Animal Crossing + Shenmue, please. :)

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Monkeythumbz, could we have a option to turn auto-aim off for PC? trying to line up shots was a bit annoying with the mouse, I think that was my only complaint for the game, other than that the game was truly amazing.
You're not the only one who's made that suggestion and as I said, we're monitoring player feedback very closely. I don't have anything to confirm at present... as in, I'm not holding out on you, I genuinely don't know if that's something we'll action.

Pass that along to your boss, Monkeythumbz! I hope they're pleased with the positive feedback they're getting and don't let the occasional critique rain on their parade. Story, combat, driving, shooting, hacking, free-running, hell, even lifestyle elements like eating and wearing clothes -- all great!
It is so cool to be working on a game people really like, you have no idea! :)

Is this while driving? Too bad. My bro can't play Halo cos he gets motion sickness. He never had a problem with Goldeneye though. Weird..

I think the driving may be it. I turned the camera pitch/yaw to zero and when I play again I'll see if it helps my motion sickness. I'll also try to modify my setup I think a light behind the TV will help.

Khar

I actually had a chat about this with my boss this morning, funnily enough. I've never seen such divided commentary - some people love the driving and shooting but hate the story, some people think the story is great but hate the driving and shooting. Some people think the combat is too hard, others too easy. Some people wanted to see more Cop content, others more Triad content.

Really, it's horses for courses and people's personal tastes differ. All I can say is that we're monitoring as much player feedback as we can.

With GTA I found some missions hair pullingly annoying. Mostly RC missions and missions with no in-mission checkpoints like Three Leaf Clover in GTA4

Sleeping Dogs has smoother gunplay, tougher cars (they don't turn to smoke and explode as quickly as the GTA series thank goodness), and better car chase mechanics with the addition of ramming. Overall, the responsiveness of controlling Wei makes the game easier than GTA for me.

It's not a bad thing though!

Also, the clothes and collectibles are much more enticing to me than any other open world game. Making the outfits actually useful by adding bonuses to equipping sets was a stroke of genius. I particularly like the Car Park and valet mechanic too. It's so convenient to have instant access to a super-fast car or bike. Both as it makes things easier (who hasn't spent time cruising around Vice City or Liberty City looking for a decent car to finally spawn?) and because I was trying to role-play the undercover cop by minimising theft/running over pedestrians etc. etc.

The driving and shooting mechanics are great. The story entertained. I loved all the homages to Hong Kong cinema too. The only thing I'd really want is more content, both Cop and Triad. Particulary at the beginning, it felt like a few routine jobs particularly on the Triad side of the storyline would have been sold the rising up in the ranks undercover a bit more convincingly.

Doing more low-level jobs similar to the intro mission. Protection, fighting off rival gang members etc. Perhaps you could complete, say, 5 or 6 jobs while raising your triad meter up to a point where the next story mission unlocks.

Fuzzy

Speaking of lifestyle elements, I'd love to see more of them in DLC or a sequel. Make the apartments expandable and fully customizable like Animal Crossing, with more furniture, appliances and decor, and the ability to place them however you see fit. Maybe add some more minigames, too, like arcade minigames in an arcade, or dance-offs in back alleys. Basically, more Animal Crossing + Shenmue, please. :)
That would be fun. I didn't buy all the apartment upgrades because I didn't know where all of them were because the people selling them don't show up on the radar.

MarkusRJR

I'm buying either the PS3 version or the 360 version. What's the differences? Are they major in any way? My 360 is on the verge of death so I'm worried it'll die soon.

Neiteio

It is so cool to be working on a game people really like, you have no idea! :)
I didn't even know your game existed until a few weeks ago, and it's now a Game of the Year contender along with Nintendo's Kid Icarus Uprising. Sleeping Dogs is easily one of the best games this generation and a true classic. As I said in my Steam recommendation (username Fort_Frolic), it's to Hong Kong cinema what Red Dead Redemption is to Westerns -- a love letter you don't want to end. Tell that to the team since I probably won't meet you guys in person to fawn over you! :)

That would be fun. I didn't buy all the apartment upgrades because I didn't know where all of them were because the people selling them don't show up on the radar.
It'd be cool to have furniture and appliance stores you can visit like the clothing stores, where you can spend money on furniture you want for your apartments, and then in the apartments you could enter a mode where a grid is superimposed on the floor and you can place the furniture as you see fit. They could still have the hidden street vendors in back alleys and such, only they would sell especially rare or exotic pieces you can't find in the normal store. Something for Sleeping Dogs 2 (or DLC)!

Also, more food! There's plenty to try but I'd love to have even more! And this is a silly request but it'd be awesome if there was some way to keep eating, even as you fight, so that when the last goon hits the pavement, you finish your bowl of noodles and discard it, lol.

canedaddy

I finished the game last night... loved the final sections and how the story wraps up. Very nice effort by UFG... so much fun. Hope it gets a sequel.

I only need two hidden events for 100% (shouldn't take long with the help video).

Fuzzy

Also, more food! There's plenty to try but I'd love to have even more! And this is a silly request but it'd be awesome if there was some way to keep eating, even as you fight, so that when the last goon hits the pavement, you finish your bowl of noodles and discard it, lol.
Forget discarding it after, I'd like to see it get used during. Throw a hot bowl in someone's face, stab someone with chopsticks, etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's a bug, but one that can be overcome: as soon as Wei completes the wake-up animation, immediately hit A (or X, on PS3) to listen to the voicemail from Not-Ping. Then you'll get the text from Ricky.

As for what you missed, if you continued: Not much. It's the last you hear from her character.
She yells at you for cheating on her, having found out about Tiffany and Amanda, but then ends by saying, "Call me."
It's funny but could surely be found on a YouTube playthrough if you wanted to see it.
Thanks for the info :) Good that i didnt miss much, but as you say, it will (or already is) most likely be available on YouTube. This doesnt count as a mission, does it?

Completed the game tonight after probably 25 hours or so. Finishing a game is pretty rare for me these days to read into that what you will. Enjoyed the story, looked amazing on my PC and the customisation and collectable options were great.

My main problem with the game was that there wasn't enough depth to anything.

The fighting was the best part, but I found myself having to get pretty creative to not get bored during protracted fights as there aren't that many moves, and it's basically 'wait around and press Y' in terms of difficulty. The animation and environment effects were obviously great, but I found myself stringing moves together just for variety rather than any deeper reason - a stark contrast to Batman Arkham City where the mechanics are complex enough to both be challenging and allow for score-attack modes.

Driving felt great, but the chase and race sequences had some pretty ridiculous rubber-banding, and when you were being chased it always became a ridiculously easy shoot out the tires mode.

The free running sequences were basically press forward with timed button presses, the fast talk mechanic is basically 'hit Y for dialogue'.

Shooting was ok but coming straight off Max Payne 3 it's just really simple.

Most missions were basically cut-scenes + a mix of the above modes, practically stitched together. It got very samey towards the end.

Neiteio

Forget discarding it after, I'd like to see it get used during. Throw a hot bowl in someone's face, stab someone with chopsticks, etc.
Whoa, that's a cool idea. Imagine throwing pork buns or fish balls at people! "A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man... And a man hit by pork buns, is a man who is not alive."

Chairhome

This is probably a common bug, but when characters are having non-cutscene conversations, sometimes they skip a whole line of dialogue. Sucks for me :-/

Also, I saw a woman get hit by a car on the street, then i heard sirens and an ambulance came and checked her out. It was cool.

Cloudy

Banned
This is probably a common bug, but when characters are having non-cutscene conversations, sometimes they skip a whole line of dialogue. Sucks for me :-/

I always slow down and wait till they're done before I go to the mission checkpoint. Those conversations are really important to the plot..

Neiteio

I always slow down and wait till they're done before I go to the mission checkpoint. Those conversations are really important to the plot..
Not a spoiler to say that in the triad mission "Fast Girls," drive slowly once Vivienne and Sandra join you -- lots of neat flavor dialogue that informs their characters, like Sandra's Hilton-esque upbringing of chateaus and yacht parties. The text cuts off once you hit the checkpoint for the race.

Speaking of those two, I find it interesting how Wei adapts his persona to them and other, completely different characters throughout the course of the game. He's the ultimate social chameleon, making him the quintessential undercover cop. But what's fascinating is how the game keeps you guessing how much of his facade is supplanting his true self... the latter of which becomes increasingly ambiguous as you find out more about his past. (Definitely read the police reports on the cell phone.)

Monkeythumbz, thanks to you and to the rest of United Front for creating this amazing game, after 30 hours Im really in love with it.
I wanted to say, what I love most of it, is the feeling I get when im playing like when I played Bully (some of you worked on that game also, and I think you can find its spirit in this game). And Wei is one of the most fun characters in sandbox games.

One question, would it be very difficult to make an spiritual successor to Bully by United Front. Rockstar has the name and characters, but without the people that work on it, it will be very difficult to feel again like the original Bully (or Slepping Dogs), so it would be awesome if you made the spiritual succesor (without the name or the characters) as it would probably be one of my favourite games ever seeing all the great work you can still do thanks to Sleeping Dogs.

Also only one nitpick I have with the game, and that im sure other people have talked already with you, is the only thing I think could have been better, improving the dates with the girls. I probably feel this way because the team has created all this amazing girls, some of them even really characismatic, and you can only see them like 2 or 3 missions at most.
That and maybe some more mingames (I had lots of fun with the karaoke lol) and sidequests for a sequel.

Neiteio

RE: the dates: It never felt like untapped potential to me, since I think it's clear they were intended as colorful "unlock" methods from the start, and so they fulfilled their purpose. But yeah, since the girls are interesting characters, it would've been cool to see them more. DLC, perhaps? Hell, a "Date Night" DLC pack simply providing a string of new date "missions" for each of the girls would be fun (albeit tough to arrange, I take it, given Emma Stone, etc, are probably engaged with other projects).

RE: the dates: It never felt like untapped potential to me, since I think it's clear they were intended as colorful "unlock" methods from the start, and so they fulfilled their purpose. But yeah, since the girls are interesting characters, it would've been cool to see them more. DLC, perhaps? Hell, a "Date Night" DLC pack simply providing a string of new date "missions" for each of the girls would be fun (albeit tough to arrange, I take it, given Emma Stone, etc, are probably engaged with other projects).

Yep, I think thats the problem, they made them interesting characters.
I wouldnt mind the approach they took if they were like the girls in GTA san andreas or Bully (although in that one they were better), but the characters are really good, and its a pity they didnt do mre for them.

I'm playing on 360 and at some point all my stat awards notifications stopped popping up. The safe driving timer, for instance. What gives?

I don't think you get that one during a mission.

I'm buying either the PS3 version or the 360 version. What's the differences? Are they major in any way? My 360 is on the verge of death so I'm worried it'll die soon.

360 version is visually superior. Pretty significantly too. But if your 360 is dying, just go with the PS3 version. Neither can touch the PC edition.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Anyone have any advice for the higher levels of knox trucks? I can't seem to shake the swat cars. I can't run them off the road and I can't shoot out their tires.

Anyone have any advice for the higher levels of knox trucks? I can't seem to shake the swat cars. I can't run them off the road and I can't shoot out their tires.

Cops hate alleys. I assume when you say you can't run them off the road that you're using the X button (on Xbox) to smash their cars until they drop out. Really all you need to do is smash about 4 cops at the highest alert level.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Cops hate alleys. I assume when you say you can't run them off the road that you're using the X button (on Xbox) to smash their cars until they drop out. Really all you need to do is smash about 4 cops at the highest alert level.

I can smash out the smaller cop cars, but not the black ones. I should just focus on the small ones? And I will give the alleys a shot. I do tend to stick to freeways.

I can smash out the smaller cop cars, but not the black ones. I should just focus on the small ones? And I will give the alleys a shot. I do tend to stick to freeways.

The alleys are a great way to lose cops. On highways you probably also noticed a few overpasses with the cement railings removed and replaced with construction cones. Using those will help ditch the cops too since they dont appear to want to follow you over the edge.

Mario007

What is up with the dating, actually. I haven't finished the game yet but only had one mission for each girl and then the phone call from not Ming that was already mentioned here. Are there more missions with them?

What is up with the dating, actually. I haven't finished the game yet but only had one mission for each girl and then the phone call from not Ming that was already mentioned here. Are there more missions with them?

Their purpose is to unlock the ability to find unlockables easier. And apparently to get Wei's rocks off. He's Wei Shen, motherfucker, after all.

Mario007

Their purpose is to unlock the ability to find unlockables easier. And apparently to get Wei's rocks off. He's Wei Shen, motherfucker, after all.
Haha yeah got that mission too. So theres no other mission apart from the one mission you get when you call em up the first time? Damn the girls were actually nicely written and interesting. Plus theres a lot of talk about Wei being single in the game and many characters encourage him to get a girl.

Bought this game a few days ago. I've logged 18 hours. Holy shit.

I mean I guess I'm a known east-asiaphile and the game brings back these glorious waves of nostalgia from time spent in China, and that's part of it. But the whole game is just amazing. Controls took a bit of getting used to in places (the mouse is admittedly god-awful. what the hell?) but the whole thing just feels incredibly bad-ass. That's really the only way to describe it. Also, having played SR3 semi-recently, I feel like Sleeping Dogs is just absolutely destroying it in terms of world design. With the parkour stuff and all the little things to discover and unlock it feels like I actually have a reason to explore and get to know all the little parts of the city. SR3's city feels like a faceless mission hub by comparison.

I'm playing this at 1080p with high res DLC and normal antialiasing and it never goes above 600MB VRAM. Is this the case with anyone else as I'm thinking that that amount is too low especially since I'm also using the high res DLC.

Top Bottom