• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Version 1.5 of Sleeping Dogs for PC will go live today at 2pm Pacific time / 10pm UK time / 11pm Central European time.

Sleeping Dogs – Patch 1.5 Release Notes

Stability
  • Improved CPU timing to reduce issues where the game plays too quickly
  • Various fixes to improve stability and minimize crashes during gameplay
  • Fixed an issue with the Bink video player which may improve stability during in-game videos such as the title screens

Controls & Camera
  • New option added! Aim Soft Lock: Lets the player enable or disable aiming assistance from the game
  • New option added! Mouse Free Look: Enables/disables camera auto-centering behind the player when using the mouse and on foot
  • New option added! Mouse Raw Input: When enabled, input is sampled directly from the mouse which improves responsiveness and accuracy on supported mice
  • New option added! Mouse Sensitivity: A modifier that determines how much speed is recorded from mouse movement
  • Mouse camera logic has been reworked for improved precision (independent of the raw mouse input option)
  • The Action Hijack binding is now independent of the Sprint/Parkour key value
  • While driving players can now use the mouse to look up and down
  • While driving the camera no longer immediately auto-centers when you stop moving the mouse
  • The high-speed camera shake while driving has been reduced
  • Mouse sensitivity no longer differs when Wei is and isn’t carrying a gun

UI
  • Front End screens now support a button help bar that is fully interactive via mouse
  • Users are now able to exit screens by pressing the Back button
  • Corrected all issues when exiting a screen using the Backspace and Esc keys
  • It’s now possible to switch sections by clicking on the corresponding icons or tab headers
  • The mouse wheel will scroll through all relevant lists in the user interface
  • Mouse hit regions have been fine-tuned throughout the front end to improve user experience

Thanks to everyone at UFG for making this happen :)

Neiteio

Sounds like a lot of good changes for mouse and keyboard users! One question: Will the PC patch allow people using a controller to direct the camera so that it doesn't automatically re-center behind the player character? That'd be a nice addition at some point if it's not already implemented in this patch. It'd be cool to be able to walk toward the screen without having to hold the camera in that position manually. :)

Monkeythumbz

Sounds like a lot of good changes for mouse and keyboard users! One question: Will the PC patch allow people using a controller to direct the camera so that it doesn't automatically re-center behind the player character? That'd be a nice addition at some point if it's not already implemented in this patch. It'd be cool to be able to walk toward the screen without having to hold the camera in that position manually. :)
I think that's covered by this point, no?

• New option added! Mouse Free Look: Enables/disables camera auto-centering behind the player when using the mouse and on foot

SJRB

Gold Member
Solid patch list, I can't believe they've answered the calls for a reduced cam shake when driving at top speed.

Awesome stuff.

Neiteio

I think that's covered by this point, no?

That says "mouse," though. Would it still work with the right analog stick on a plug-and-play 360 controller for PC?

EDIT: Cool avatar above me -- made me realize Adam Jensen cuts a distinctive silhouette.

Monkeythumbz

That says "mouse," though. Would it still work with the right analog stick on a plug-and-play 360 controller for PC?

EDIT: Cool avatar above me -- made me realize Adam Jensen cuts a distinctive silhouette.
I'm afraid I don't know. Best thing to do is check it and PM me if there's still an issue, I can always re-flag.

Neiteio

fully agree
I still think Saints Row 3 is top of the pack when it comes to sandbox-style shenanigans -- the sheer insanity of the weapons at your disposal and the action-packed controls (skateboarding on the backs of pedestrians, lol) just makes each street brawl you start so epic and intense. (Well, until you unlock the invincibility and infinite ammo perks that make you an untouchable god of death, anyway.)

But yeah, now that I've played Sleeping Dogs, the game is BY FAR AND AWAY my favorite open world title, and without a doubt one of my favorite games this gen. It's charming in a way that I -remember- games from my childhood being, but has all the advances in design that have occurred since then.

Monkeythumbz said:
I'm afraid I don't know. Best thing to do is check it and PM me if there's still an issue, I can always re-flag.
OK, thanks. :)

GeoramA

Wow, easiest platinum ever. Fun game, but goddamn there's no challenge at all. And every car you drive takes more damage than a tank :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It's charming in a way that I -remember- games from my childhood being, but has all the advances in design that have occurred since then.

this this this

I play the game with the same feeling. I felt something like that when I was playing Skyrim in November.

eshwaaz

Also, having played SR3 semi-recently, I feel like Sleeping Dogs is just absolutely destroying it in terms of world design. With the parkour stuff and all the little things to discover and unlock it feels like I actually have a reason to explore and get to know all the little parts of the city. SR3's city feels like a faceless mission hub by comparison.
So true. Saints 3's city is completely without character and appeal; no sense of place whatsoever. I love exploring open worlds, but Saints 3 could have been an entirely linear string of missions with no free roam and it would have lost practically nothing.

Neiteio

So true. Saints 3's city is completely without character and appeal; no sense of place whatsoever. I love exploring open worlds, but Saints 3 could have been an entirely linear string of missions with no free roam and it would have lost practically nothing.
Whoa, dude, let's be reasonable here: If you weren't leveling every city block you encountered and leaving the world in flames, you were playing the game wrong! Seriously, the chaos in Saints Row 3 is just divine. Exploding bullets, guns akimbo, airstrikes, predator drones, hijacking cars through the windshield feet-first, katanas, chainsaws, human shields you can throw, people-surfing, trip kicks, sweep kicks, nut punches, calling in gang backup, calling in zombies on a short bus, calling in jets or tanks that crumple cars, and with DLC there's even a blunderbuss that douses people in fish guts and causes a shark to inexplicably burst out of the ground.

Don't get me wrong: Sleeping Dogs is by far and away my favorite open world title. But at the same time, I don't want to diminish what Saints Row 3 did. They're different games, I'd say -- an apples and oranges situation. It's true Steelport isn't nearly as memorable as Hong Kong, but bits of it were nice: The neighborhoods where the techno-goth gang live and the colorfully-lit downtown area with the moving billboards come to mind. :)

So nobody else has had this happen? I've searched the web and can't find anything.
The notifications for clean drive, jumps, etc. have suddenly stopped showing up in my game.
BMD2K.jpg

eshwaaz

Whoa, dude, let's be reasonable here: If you weren't leveling every city block you encountered and leaving the world in flames, you were playing the game wrong! Seriously, the chaos in Saints Row 3 is just divine. Exploding bullets, guns akimbo, airstrikes, predator drones, hijacking cars through the windshield feet-first, katanas, chainsaws, human shields you can throw, people-surfing, trip kicks, sweep kicks, nut punches, calling in gang backup, calling in zombies on a short bus, calling in jets or tanks that crumple cars, and with DLC there's even a blunderbuss that douses people in fish guts and causes a shark to inexplicably burst out of the ground.

Don't get me wrong: Sleeping Dogs is by far and away my favorite open world title. But at the same time, I don't want to diminish what Saints Row 3 did. They're different games, I'd say -- an apples and oranges situation. It's true Steelport isn't nearly as memorable as Hong Kong, but bits of it were nice: The neighborhoods where the techno-goth gang live and the colorfully-lit downtown area with the moving billboards come to mind. :)
A contrasting opinion that's expressed intelligently in a respectful manner? I'm not sure I know how to respond to this...

I agree that SR3 offers more ways to cause chaos, I just didn't find the execution and implementation of these actions to be particularly satisfying.

Steelport tried to be distinctive and interesting, but in the end I think someone describing the city would sound much cooler than it actually is. It just felt very bland and forgettable to me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't find the way into second fight club area in the north. Any suggestions on how to get there?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
About how far am I into it? Just did the mission where you drive the pop singer and her friend around. I've got most of the collectables so I think it's winding down but the past few missions have felt like filler. Hoping the story picks up again since the story missions are super fun.

SJRB

Gold Member
About how far am I into it? Just did the mission where you drive the pop singer and her friend around. I've got most of the collectables so I think it's winding down but the past few missions have felt like filler. Hoping the story picks up again since the story missions are super fun.

You can check the story progression percentage in the stats screen.

Jonm1010

Banned
Beat the 360 version last night.

Loved it! Game of the year so far.

I was actually surprised at how short it was though. I looked at my stats for the first time 11 hours in and was shocked that I had completed 89% of the main story, most of the yellow missions(forgot their name) and all but one case.

I didn't do much drug busts or races though. If I have one complaint it's that I wish it were a bit longer(this coming from someone who typically avoids overly long games). Not RDR long(which often felt like way too much unnecessary filler) but about 5 more missions and maybe another case or two would have felt just right.

Monkeythumbz

Did I say 2pm? I might have meant 3pm. It's definitely today at any rate.

Also, check out the post-patch in-game infocast (for great justice).

HoodWinked

Beat the 360 version last night.

Loved it! Game of the year so far.

I was actually surprised at how short it was though. I looked at my stats for the first time 11 hours in and was shocked that I had completed 89% of the main story, most of the yellow missions(forgot their name) and all but one case.

I didn't do much drug busts or races though. If I have one complaint it's that I wish it were a bit longer(this coming from someone who typically avoids overly long games). Not RDR long(which often felt like way too much unnecessary filler) but about 5 more missions and maybe another case or two would have felt just right.

i beat it yesterday as well, that line between a game being too long and too short is razor thin. i think that desire of wanting more is actually ideal.

the storyline is incredibly satisfying they nail the sense of loss, and the grand buildup and holy shit a game with closure?! definitely best game this year so far.

Tattooth

Just wanted to say that the camera shake is much improved, it's barely noticeable now. Great job on the patches so far you guys.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PC patch sounds nice. Hopefully there's a PS3 patch that'll let us use R1 to shoot while on foot. That's the only bad thing about the controls.

Derrick01

Banned
Patch sounds nice. The camera shake on the faster cars could get a little nauseating and anything that improves overall stability is fine with me, the game did have a slight micro stutter when I first played it.

Patch sounds nice. The camera shake on the faster cars could get a little nauseating and anything that improves overall stability is fine with me, the game did have a slight micro stutter when I first played it.

This may help with my motion sickness which I posted about earlier. Although I play with a controller great improvements for KB+M users.

eXistor

Just finished the game today (pretty damn cool), but it's good to see the reduced camera shake, that was a real nuisance. Also the auto aim really fucked me over during most fire fights, so it's good that can be disabled now.

calder

Nice, the patch seems to address most of the little issues I had with the game, other than triad XP annoyance. ;)

I'm not crazy about the reduced camera shake at high speeds, I actually grew to love that for some reason.

Just a great, great game.

Love when a fun new game comes out of nowhere! Putting this one on my trophy shelf (my 'Awesome' category in Steam) along with Just Cause, Borderlands and Dead Island.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm not crazy about the reduced camera shake at high speeds, I actually grew to love that for some reason.

You're wrong, you are crazy.

Actually, best option would be allowing us to toggle it off or on... then crazy people like you and sane people like me would both be happy.

1.5 has completely borked this for me on PC. First it locks up right away. I get into the game and my car immediately falls through the floor and pausing the locks up the game. No issues previously.

/edit
Just tried for 3rd time. As soon as I start the city stops drawing and I fell throughout the floor again. This has really knackered the game for me. Attempting to verify the local files now.

/edit2
One file failed to verify. Steam now re-downloading 3.483MB

FML I thought I'd be finishing this game tonight.

Neiteio

Patch seems good -- possibly a bit more stable from the occasional stutter standpoint.

I may be imagining things, but the Velotica seems a bit more jerky now when I adjust at high speeds. Like it takes longer for the turn to register... A delayed reaction. I'm using the controller and nothing has changed except for the patch. The motorcycles, on the other hand, seem much smoother -- probably due to the reduced cam shake. An option to toggle cam shake between Original, Reduced and None would be nice. At any rate, I'm probably imagining jerky Velotica handling, right? I tried the Blast and the Blast seemed fairly normal.

I think I'm paranoid because I like this game so much, lol.

Also, I tried all the different camera options and didn't see what it changed while using the controller. It doesn't seem to retain the viewpoint I set it to, and always recenters behind Wei momentarily. No big deal, but an option for a camera you can position any which way would be cool. :)

MRORANGE

Version 1.5 of Sleeping Dogs for PC will go live today at 2pm Pacific time / 10pm UK time / 11pm Central European time.

Sleeping Dogs – Patch 1.5 Release Notes

Stability
  • Improved CPU timing to reduce issues where the game plays too quickly
  • Various fixes to improve stability and minimize crashes during gameplay
  • Fixed an issue with the Bink video player which may improve stability during in-game videos such as the title screens

Controls & Camera
  • New option added! Aim Soft Lock: Lets the player enable or disable aiming assistance from the game
  • New option added! Mouse Raw Input: When enabled, input is sampled directly from the mouse which improves responsiveness and accuracy on supported mice
  • New option added! Mouse Sensitivity: A modifier that determines how much speed is recorded from mouse movement
  • Mouse camera logic has been reworked for improved precision (independent of the raw mouse input option)
  • The Action Hijack binding is now independent of the Sprint/Parkour key value
  • While driving players can now use the mouse to look up and down
  • While driving the camera no longer immediately auto-centers when you stop moving the mouse
  • The high-speed camera shake while driving has been reduced
  • Mouse sensitivity no longer differs when Wei is and isn’t carrying a gun

UI
  • Front End screens now support a button help bar that is fully interactive via mouse
  • Users are now able to exit screens by pressing the Back button
  • Corrected all issues when exiting a screen using the Backspace and Esc keys
  • It’s now possible to switch sections by clicking on the corresponding icons or tab headers
  • The mouse wheel will scroll through all relevant lists in the user interface
  • Mouse hit regions have been fine-tuned throughout the front end to improve user experience

Thanks to everyone at UFG for making this happen :)

very very nice work, it's kinda rare a pc version get's this much attention so it's really appreciated.

Top Bottom