• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Onix said:
>_<

The guy is holding the case upside down, look at it ...

66krh1.png

Huh no, that's the bottom of the shell.

hirokazu

Goldrusher said:
Yeah, the logo looks weird being both verticle and all the way at the top. Sure the current systems have the logo right aligned too, but you gotta take into account that it's placement just fits with the system, it doesn't look like the logo was put there just because.

The people who argue the Sony logo and all the specification logos like CD, DVD, Dolby, DTS and stuff have always been vertical on the system when the system is placed up, seriously nobody, NOBODY notices that shit, man. :lol That's why they put it there but don't make it too visible. That's no excuse for the crap system placement of the logo on this sytem.

I can't really say whether the system looks good or what with the matte finish since these pictures are too crap, but it certainly doesn't look good from there. Whereas the regular PS3 looks great with glossy, but also looks fine matte, like with the FFVII:AC edition. I really dislike the crappy silver paint trim that the newer systems have though, it looks cheap.

hirokazu

Click said:
Some of you guys are confused and have been comparing an upside down image of the BACKPLATE, thinking it is the faceplate.

Just look at Wollan's last summary of all the images:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15874117&postcount=1201

This is the original (not upside down) image of the BACKPLATE (sideview):

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

This is the backplate (top-down view):

PS3_Slim_5.jpg
If by backplate, you mean the bottom plate when the system if horizontal, then yes, now you are correct.

First pic is the front of the bottom plate (saying front of the backplate is confusing, since there's really no backplate), the USB ports roughly correspond to where they are on the existing systems.

Eiji

Wow, read this thread a few days ago and chose to ignore it because "its another fake bullcrap thread".

Saw how many posts it has and decided to look again because I was curious as to why there were so many pages. Possibly a new GAF meme?

Well, call me mindblown, I really dig the new slim matte black design. The phat PS3's piano black is a PITA.

Click

Banned
hirokazu said:
If by backplate, you mean the bottom plate when the system if horizontal, then yes, now you are correct.

First pic is the front of the bottom plate (saying from of backplate is confusing, since there's really no backplate), the USB ports roughly correspond to where they are on the existing systems.

Backplate, bottomplate, whatever. It means the same thing, regardless of how the system is placed.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Raist said:
I wonder what's the point of putting a logo on the bottom plate.

For people who complain that the logo won't be horizontal when standing up. That way, ALL can be happy.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
JeFfRey said:
For people who complain that the logo won't be horizontal when standing up. That way, ALL can be happy.
It'd still be vertical.

iceatcs

Onix's view would be only make sense to fit all.
PS3_Slim_3pieces.jpg

But I'm still think the middle is same as bottom one but upside down.

iceatcs

Click said:
Backplate, bottomplate, whatever. It means the same thing, regardless of how the system is placed.
Click TELL ME what I'm wrong but I've said same thing on my last statement as your quote but my lack of English that's all.

Click

Banned
iceatcs said:
Click TELL ME what I'm wrong but I've said same thing on my last statement as your quote but my lack of English that's all.

I didn't say you're wrong. I said that image you made was wrong.

"Part 2" is NOT "Internal"
"Part 2" IS "Bottom"

"Part 2" and "Part 3" of your image is the SAME thing (or "part").

iceatcs

Click said:
I didn't say you're wrong. I said that image you made was wrong.

"Part 2" is NOT "Internal"
"Part 2" IS "Bottom"

"Part 2" and "Part 3" of your image is the SAME thing (or "part").
Aye. that's what I'm more agree just 2 pieces case shell on these photos.

Onix's view only way means 3 pieces will be sense if the "upsidedown" bottom case has a disc slot hole (Onix think but I think it just a shadow), and I agreed less cos more plastic, so no no for Sony.

*Jack Tretton walks onto E3 stage*

Jack: $299. PS3 Slim. In stores Monday June 8th.

Audience: O.O

*Jack Tretton walks off stage. Conference over*

*world explodes*

Do it please.

Dizzan

MINI Member
SuperSonic1305 said:

*world explodes*

Do it please.

I think they need more than that. While it would be awesome, we are all pretty much expecting it now. (except Sep not June 8)

$299 would be great but $249 would be MEGATON.\
Sony also needs to blow people away with GOW3 footage aswell as Uncharted, Ratchet and GT5.

Plus we also want a surprise TRICO please.

androvsky

SuperSonic1305 said:

*world explodes*

Do it please.

*walks back on stage*

Jack: Oh, yeah, PSP Go. $249. Free cellular data connection for PSN usage thanks to Sprint.

*walks back off stage*

*walks back on stage*

Jack: Did I mention cross-game voice chat? Ah, might as well have a real speech now.

iceatcs

I rather

*Wooden crate drop on the E3 stage*

*Kutaragi pop out from crate*

Audience: Ooooohhh *some flashing photo*

Kutaragi: I will work less hours to buy one since it is only $249.99

*Kutaragi walk back into crate*

*world explodes*

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JoJo13 said:
PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

This is like, the slickest console I've ever seen if it ends up looking like that. Can't see how anyone would say it's ugly at all.

Wow, that looks better than I initially thought.

NeoUltima

Well I'm a believer...though probably no reveal at E3. I imagine a slimline ps3 would cost way less to produce than the current models.

Machado

iceatcs said:
I rather

*world explodes*

:lol :lol BRAVO

hirokazu

JoJo13 said:
real.

why is it so hard to understand. theres like a million people still confused about this.
Yrah, at least the past 5 pages have been discussing this on the assumption that it's real already. :lol

Dizzan said:
I think they need more than that. While it would be awesome, we are all pretty much expecting it now. (except Sep not June 8)

$299 would be great but $249 would be MEGATON.\
truth, every is expecting $299 in the next few months and that alone will probably get them to 13 million, but if they dropped to $249 that would be MEGATON and something MS would have to respond to instantly.

hirokazu

Scottlarock said:
truth, every is expecting $299 in the next few months and that alone will probably get them to 13 million, but if they dropped to $249 that would be MEGATON and something MS would have to respond to instantly.
But if the current PS3s still cost about $10 more to make than it retails for, how much lower will they actually be able to take it? The $10 loss doesn't even factor in costs of shipping, as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure they're going at least aim for break-even with the slim, their financials are just as important as the number of units they'll sell - hence why they're currently in a position where they're unable to drop the price with the existing systems.

So the question is, how much cheaper is this thing to make?

JoJo13

Banned
I don't think everyone is expecting $299. They're maybe expecting some price drop, but $100 would be a big deal. $250? Get real.

Sony's financials are not good.

Them getting to $299 would be a huge milestone; if they're losing $50 on each unit, then $50 x 13 million = $650 million dollars in the hole that they have to somehow recoup from PS2, PSP, and software sales. And that's likely the best case scenario, as their loss on each unit may be upwards of $100 dollars per unit.

$299 gets them far closer to mainstream prices, and would most certainly be a megaton announcement coupled with a hardware revision and backwards compatibility. Not much Microsoft can 'respond to' given their already low price of the 360.

I think people expecting the slim to come out at a price lower than the current PS3 are going to have a rude awakening. I'd expect it to be positioned (temporarily) as a premium version of the PS3, likely taking the place of the current 160gb model.

I'd say it's quite possible that it could enter at the price of the current PS3 though (and the current PS3 gets a price drop). Then they can transition to it as the default model when stocks of the behemoth are sold off.

JoJo13

Banned
Psychotext said:
I think people expecting the slim to come out at a price lower than the current PS3 are going to have a rude awakening. I'd expect it to be positioned (temporarily) as a premium version of the PS3, likely taking the place of the current 160gb model.

I'd say it's quite possible that it could enter at the price of the current PS3 though (and the current PS3 gets a price drop). Then they can transition to it as the default model when stocks of the behemoth are sold off.

Sony's 2009 sales forecast guarantees a price cut. They are suggesting that 3 million more PS3s will be sold this year over last, and that's given a downward trend in sales for the start of 2009. That means basically one thing: price cut. A slim model helps them achieve a price cut through cost reductions. It won't be positioned as a high priced unit, though what you suggest could be true temporarily.

JoJo13 said:
Sony's 2009 sales forecast guarantees a price cut.
Indeed... a price cut on the old models, which they'll still have considerable inventory of.

Time will tell though. But it wouldn't be the first time Sony brought in a new model at the old PS3 price and cut the price of the old model.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Especially if it is 120gb, they'll use that as an excuse to sell it at the same price as the current one. Plus, someone HAS to buy the current PS3s. The stupid thing is a lot of people will say "Oh I'll wait until that one is out of production then the slim will drop in price and I'll buy that":p

Anyway yeah I think about Trico every day, I really do:| That's all I need from E3, I hope it will be satisfactory:|

I don't think the current systems and the slim version will be sold at the same time as two sku deal. I think at E3 they will drop the price on the current sku's by $50 or $100 each to clear out the inventory, and then when those are gone by around fall, the slim will be introduced at $300.

Dizzan

MINI Member
My guess is that it will probably just replace the fat and remain the same price.

It will persuade a few people to buy and bump the numbers for a month or two but then Id expect sales to drop back to where they are now.

Holiday price drop is essential though

iceatcs said:
I rather

*world explodes*

If that were indeed to happen, then it would be far more epic than a megaton, the universe as we know it would implode unto itself.

It would be an absolutely stellar move but the thought of it dropping to nearly 50% of the current price, in one go no less, is being overly hopeful. :D

iceatcs said:

*world explodes*
rollerken.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Psychotext said:
I'd expect it to be positioned (temporarily) as a premium version of the PS3, likely taking the place of the current 160gb model.
That'll never happen for obvious and less obvious reasons.

But yea, stock clearing would command a price drop on current PS3 first - whether Slim would sell alongside is another question (It didn't happen with PS2 redesign).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom