• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, the PSTwo Oct 26th rumor was just that - A RUMOR

neptunes

Bogus or not bogus?: Eventually not bogus. Given that Sony has trademarked "PStwo," it's just a matter of time until a device arrives, and that time may be sooner rather than later

Just wait 'til next tuesday when sony will have this supposed meeting.

WarPig

The funny thing is, we'd heard some similar stuff under the table before the Hollywood Reporter blew everything up -- some folks in Europe had heard reports that they were going to debut a new version of the console with integrated network hardware and whatnot. I happened to find it a little more credible than the usual as a consequence. Oh, well, more fun in the online world...

DFS.

Odysseus

Banned
Well, you knew that when Spong picked it up and talked about a confirmation set for next Tuesday, you knew that there was a snowball's chance in Hell of it happening anytime soon.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Why is everybody acting like they debunked this rumor? They basically just said "it probably won't happen, but it might" and "Sony won't tell us." Basically, they're saying all the rumors in the media come from one source, it's not confirmed, and it may or may not be announced on Tuesday.

So it's no more or less confirmed than it was before.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The reference to SCPH-70000 is in at least 2 manuals - Burnout 3 and Sly 2. It's not in the Gradius V manual though. So, who knows...if it doesn't continue to show up in new release manuals and no announcement is forthcoming, then maybe Sony changed their plans.

MetatronM said:
Why is everybody acting like they debunked this rumor? They basically just said "it probably won't happen, but it might" and "Sony won't tell us." Basically, they're saying all the rumors in the media come from one source, it's not confirmed, and it may or may not be announced on Tuesday.

So it's no more or less confirmed than it was before.

It certainly is possible that it might happen, but they traced the rumors back to a single analyst who admitted that he was merely speculating, because Sony is "fond" of anniverseries and Oct 26 is the 4th year anniversary.

So, it's not based on some "leaked" insider info that might point to the possibility.

teiresias

So . . . essentially . . . what you're telling me . . . is that . . . there's a rumour . . . that another rumour . . . isn't true?

neptunes

It's release is inevitable, it's probably the launch that we don't know of yet. It makes more sense to release it next year, but then again PSP is being released next year and we have a ps2 shortage right now.

They have to at least talk about it next tuesday.

EDIT: remember all that buzz of Portable playstation before e3 2003? I

believemug.JPG

They better release it this year! I just bought Ico today and was going to get a PStwo to finally get to play this little treasure. :D

Elios83

I think PStwo is really coming next week:

img0001.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment Italy is e-mailing this to italian gaming websites (multiplayer.it in this case).
Could this mean that PStwo is 23cm long?

neo2046

Some "insiders" at Japan say that the new PS TWO model is around 70% large of PS2, no more compatible to PS1 games
and the model is looked like this (the right hand side is some people's photoshopped work)
of course no one can confirm this is true or fake

DVP-F41MS.jpg
img20040918091955.jpg

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
neo2046 said:
Some "insiders" at Japan say that the new PS TWO model is around 70% large of PS2, no more compatible to PS1 games
and the model is looked like this (the right hand side is some people's photoshopped work)

DVP-F41MS.jpg
img20040918091955.jpg

I call bullshit, just because the PSTwo would have to play PS1 games. PS1 compatibility is achieved by having most of the PS1 hardware as part of the PS2 hardware (the I/O controller) and removing that would also make PS2 games incompatible.

neo2046 said:

DVP-F41MS.jpg
img20040918091955.jpg

That's interesting. That would mean they totally revamped the motherboard and hardware, since the I/O chip for the PS2 is the PSX chipset.

Though if true, that really sucks. I was planning on replacing my PS2 with a PStwo possibly, since this piece of shit is almost dead. Looks like it's the IR version for me.

BuddyC

KyotoMecca said:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=377454#post377454
KyotoMecca said:
I think some of you will be surprised at the IP SEGA will be revitalising in the next 6-12 months.
That is all.
Teh industree insider? Kyoto also makes a lot of Kikizo references. To the point where they're either a) unhealthily obsessed or b) involved with Kikizo in some fashion (e.g. staff, freelance or a friend of the staff).

Rhindle

Gamefront has some impressions from a Japanese dealer who it was allegedly shown to.

He does say it looks like the Sony DVD player that neo posted above.

Also:

- It IS PS1 compatible.
- It is not compatible with the hard drive.
- Power adapter is external.
- It will come in silver and blue.
- Retail is 15,000 yen.

neptunes

Rhindle said:
- It IS PS1 compatible.
- It is not compatible with the hard drive.
- Power adapter is external.
- It will come in silver and blue.
- Retail is 15,000 yen.

'm curious , Is it the internal battery and the HDD slot that take up the most space on the ps2?

teepo

neo2046 said:

DVP-F41MS.jpg
img20040918091955.jpg

lol i remeber seeing that dvd player and i thought to myself how cool it would look if the ps2 had that cdtray and latly i've been thinking the pstwo is most likely just going to look like that.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
KyotoMecca said:
The PStwo thing is not insider stuff. It was on MCV's front page on Friday. It specifically said it would be shown at a retail presentation by Ken. It did not say this would be on Tuesday, but that is when we know it is taking place. And in addition I am just saying it is. Unless there is a nuclear explosion or something.

And it's okay to speculate, but there's certainly been no confirmation. Nothing to merit a "bottom line" statement.

I was at the store just a few hours ago. And looking at the console section, the many Xboxes, and Gamecbues, and SPs, and PSOnes in stock, but not a single PS2... yeah, that's enough to convince me something is up.

If not the PSTwo, a new bundle with the old model.

xsarien

daedsiluap
If the PSTwo is indeed a slot-loading device, something I'm a complete whore for, I may have to sell my PS2 to a friend who occasionally pines for one. That, and, you know...the silver would almost seal the deal too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fatghost28 said:
So has Sony decided to abandon the HDD then?

That or maybe they're putting in a smaller HDD in the console...but I somehow doubt that would happen. It'll be interesting if they omit the HDD or the ability to use HDDs...basically telling developers that they don't care about the HDD and they shouldn't either

neptunes

Maybe they're trying to weed out mod-chips and/or HDLoader :lol

Remember, they plan to have the ps2 around for 6 more years.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Omitting the HDD for PStwo would be lame. Customers basically can't buy FFXI bundle for the PS2... unless Sony includes a smaller Hdd in the new revision.

Arcticfox

It wouldn't be hard to make it compatible with an external hard drive if they really wanted to, either by upgrading the USB slots to 2.0 or just putting an ATA port on the back (a Serial ATA port wouldn't take much room).

hirokazu

TTP said:
yep. And weight is 900gr.
Offical announcement is coming in 3 days

some of you guys are acting like you know tons of stuff about this... are you all making shit up and talking out of your ass, or do you genuinely know something?

Top Bottom