• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

Ozriel

M$FT
Says the guy that stood by Xbox hardcore, despite them running your favorite brand right into the ground.

My post history shows I’ve been very critical of Xbox leadership when I feel they deserve it. Increasingly so, these days.

But what’s that got to do with how poor your mooted ‘strategy’ is?

People keep mentioning this stat, but conversely there's also the fact that the 20% of the most active users on Steam is the one doing 80% of all the software purchases.
Basically, enthusiasts are the one driving the market, not casuals with the 10 years old used laptop.
Doesn't matter. Those 20% will probably wait anyway, catch a measurable portion of the "casual" PC gamers with this tactic and its successful.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Trojan Horse theory lives on.

But in reality, it's Sony's PR to gently soothe hardcore PS gamers who care about ecosystem wars. It's all about the money getting extra sales from PC gamers, not temporary sales to funnel them to PS. If it was all about that they wouldnt be bragging about huge PC sales growth bar charts in their presentations about incremental sales.

And you wouldnt get day one GAAS games or sequels either on PC (ie. Horizon FW). They'd block off all games as PS only first, and wouldnt bother putting sequels on PC because that defeats the purpose of PC gamers transitioning to PS to play a sequel.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Games and drugs aren't that different from eachother, really.
Once you realize that, everything else starts making sense.

And it wouldn't be logical to shorten time-windows, because even PC gamers claim they have no problem waiting.

The addiction to single player games from one specific publisher is nowhere near the same as the addiction to most class A drugs.
If you said MP and Live Service games which psychologically try to get you addicted id understand.......but 99% of people who dont get to play Spider-Man 2 right now, arent jonzing out the ass to play it, cuz if they were the 500 dollar investment in a Playstation 5 would have already been done.
Getting given a high from a drug, you hunt that high again......single player games very rarely have that level of impact where someone will blow their load the moment they see the announcement of a sequel.

Why shorten port windows.....because of the marketing hype.
You can capitalize on the marketing hype of the OG launch, by the time the accolades trailer or first DLC is coming out, you drop the PC version you are bound to get more PC sales from that.

There are actually a ton of PC gamers who also own other consoles.

Just go look at the two threads on here asking that very question right now.

If you read the quote train or the quote we are talking about youll understand thats not who we are talking about.
If I have a PC and a Playstation, I just played Ghosts of Tsushima on PC and loved it......then Ghost of Tsushima 2 releases on Playstation with no PC version announced.........thats not gonna entice me to buy a whole new Playstation because I already have a Playstation im just gonna go play the Playstation version.

The topic at hand is whether me as a PC only gamer will now go buy a Playstation outright because I want to play Ghost of Tsushima 2 or whether ill just wait for the PC port thats inevitably coming considering ive already waited four years to play the first one.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I guess you're gonna say on your death bed "I wish I wasted more of my life waiting for things longer" :messenger_beaming:
LOL yeah guys, you heard it here. Waiting for PC ports = WASTING YOUR LIFE.

You’ll be filled with nothing but bitterness and regret as you lie wasting away, wishing you had purchased every quality PlayStation Studios (TM) title day 1 on your Sony PlayStation game console instead of foolishly squandering your limited time on this Earth.

Hohenheim

Right, it's hard to wait more than a year for something you *really* want...

You know when it doesn't work, though?
When I don't really "WANT" to play your flagship titles. I'm just open to the idea of purchasing them EVENTUALLY the day you'll sell them to me in a format that I find convenient and enticing enough.
Which incidentally happens to be how I feel about most of Sony's tentpole titles.
Yeah, I totally agree. There's a bunch of Sony games I don't bother with day 1, but when a game arrives that I really want to play, I want to have the option to play it.
Except for FF16 and Rebirth, my PS5 was only functioning as a tv-series streaming box for a long time, that's why I figured I could sell it, and get the Pro when the next exclusive I want day 1 arrives.

rm082e

Yeah, if they're going to keep putting their single player games out on PC, and get more focused on that, then I don't need to buy another PS console. I had to buy the PS4 for Bloodborne, and the PS5 for Demon's Souls. No regrets on either of those, but if going forward we can expect a PC release of all single player games 6-12 months after the console launch, I'm just fine with waiting for the PC version.

SNG32

I think two things will eventually happen with this Sony will make the release window shorter between PC and console or eventually have a launcher and do day and date on there or atleast test the theory out but I see that happening around the PS6.

Esppiral

We always knew this was one of their objectives, it's why I don't see day and date releases for PC happening anytime soon. The more people buying into the Playstation eco-system, the better.

I know there was a fair chunk of my friends who are PC gamers, went out and brought a PS5 for the GOW Ragnarok release.
It is funny because I know people that has sold their Ps5 since the games end up being on Pc, and people that where willing to buy a Ps5 and have decided not to.,,🤷🏻‍♂️

Killjoy-NL

My post history shows I’ve been very critical of Xbox leadership when I feel they deserve it. Increasingly so, these days.

But what’s that got to do with how poor your mooted ‘strategy’ is?
Just saying what I would do if I was Sony.
For now I would leave it as is anyway, let people build their libraries.

And then going into next-gen, start making some titles PS6 exclusives.

But again, that's just me and I'm not Sony. They can do whatever they want.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I would be more worried if i was playstation that more playstation gamers are moving towards PC.
Yeah honestly I’ve never felt less need for a PlayStation. It’s not like back in the day when there were a shitload of exclusives/timed exclusives and it was a crapshoot which ones would ever come to PC.

Nowadays even Capcom, (soon) Square Enix, From Software, Falcom, etc etc release their games on PC day 1.

PS5 is a great option if you want an affordable and hassle free way to play games, but I can’t see many PC gamers now deciding they need one just to play Horizon and some Naughty Dog remasters a little earlier.

Killjoy-NL

The addiction to single player games from one specific publisher is nowhere near the same as the addiction to most class A drugs.
If you said MP and Live Service games which psychologically try to get you addicted id understand.......but 99% of people who dont get to play Spider-Man 2 right now, arent jonzing out the ass to play it, cuz if they were the 500 dollar investment in a Playstation 5 would have already been done.
Getting given a high from a drug, you hunt that high again......single player games very rarely have that level of impact where someone will blow their load the moment they see the announcement of a sequel.
It's all relative. Unless you're adamant in comparing games to heroin.
Why shorten port windows.....because of the marketing hype.
You can capitalize on the marketing hype of the OG launch, by the time the accolades trailer or first DLC is coming out, you drop the PC version you are bound to get more PC sales from that.
Why shorten when PC gamers claim they have no problem waiting a few years?
They make profit off PC releases as is.

I'm sure Sony is well aware of that, even more than us.

coolmast3r

What do you mean internal, it was in the livestream what a tentpole game for Sony means....
I mean, that's great that they provide *some* sort of publicly available explanation to the naming scheme of their content portfolio, but it's still a very vague explanation. What does a 'hit franchise' mean? Metacritic score + sales numbers? We know how Metacritic scores work all too well at this point and sales numbers are not a definitive indicator of quality/success, not in the sense of it serving a role of a "you have to absolutely play this" badge. What does high ambition mean? Huge production budgets? So many questions. Regardless, Sony have the right to call their games whatever they want, it's just that it doesn't change the reality in which there's not much interest in the currently known to be in development PS5 exclusives among the PC playerbase, at least not enough interest to actively pull PC players into PS5 ecosystem, which is their stated goal here. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for PS5 exclusives being... well, exclusives. Something that makes me wanna go and get that console. But as it stands right now, Sony just doesn't have that sort of games in their pipeline, at least for me.

There's always going to be a % of PC players converting to console and Sony will be hoping they choose ps5 over Xbox.
exactly-demolitionman.gif

Their strategy works on me. It's not gonna work on every PC gamer but it doesn't have to.

Sony knows there are people like me that will do whatever we can to play a game early. I'm not waiting 2 years later to play the next Ghost of Tsushima so I own a PS5 in addition to my high-end PC.

It's good business on their part and as we've seen from their financials it's working really well for them.

Releasing your games on PC day and date only erodes your console platform as MS are now seeing. MS has ensured that I'll never own an Xbox by going the day and date approach and if Sony followed the same approach too I'd never own a PS5 to begin with.

Just give us Bloodborne you wankers!
fh1wr2zbfa8ask7ool1e.gif

I love this fictitious idea that the vast majority of the pc userbase has hardware that’s better than a PS5

Hint: they don’t. Its actually a vast minority

It’s the mainstream PC consumers Sony is after, not the few elitists
The mainstream consumers you are describing would have minimum specs and curse Sony for unoptimized shit for the rest of eternity.

Last edited:

SNG32

Their strategy works on me. It's not gonna work on every PC gamer but it doesn't have to.

Sony knows there are people like me that will do whatever we can to play a game early. I'm not waiting 2 years later to play the next Ghost of Tsushima so I own a PS5 in addition to my high-end PC.

It's good business on their part and as we've seen from their financials it's working really well for them.

Releasing your games on PC day and date only erodes your console platform as MS are now seeing. MS has ensured that I'll never own an Xbox by going the day and date approach and if Sony followed the same approach too I'd never own a PS5 to begin with.

I disagree gamepass did more damage than them doing day and date on PC.

00_Zer0

Nope. Not going to work for me. Sony can suck my tent pole, because I am not keen on being a console warrior for any of the big three. I only own a PC and a Nintendo Switch and actively game on both. If Nintendo offered their tent pole games later on PC, which is very doubtful, I would abandon whatever console they have out at the time and wait it out for the PC version. I game on PC right now and have yet to buy any of Sony's PS4 or PS5 exclusives. The only PC games from Sony that might tempt me right now on PC is Returnal or a future release of Bloodbourne. Just don't like the direction they are going with most of their western style games.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yeah honestly I’ve never felt less need for a PlayStation. It’s not like back in the day when there were a shitload of exclusives/timed exclusives and it was a crapshoot which ones would ever come to PC.

Nowadays even Capcom, (soon) Square Enix, From Software, Falcom, etc etc release their games on PC day 1.

PS5 is a great option if you want an affordable and hassle free way to play games, but I can’t see many PC gamers now deciding they need one just to play Horizon and some Naughty Dog remasters a little earlier.

I stopped gaming on PS4 when I built my first gaming build around 2014 - 2015

Now I hardly play it

And it has nothing to do with graphics. It just the freedom that PC Gaming gives me. I had to research how to use and apply mods. Ever since than I've been doing that, it's so much harder going back to a regular console. Even Nintendo Consoles

Also when more and more Japanese Companies started to develop for PCs too and not tie their games to one console which was usually on Playstation only is when I stopped playing on Playstation as much as I used to. One of the advantages of Playstation back than was that most of the Japanese Third Parties would only release their games on Playstation. Not anymore.

I'm going to do my next gaming build in 2025. And I'm not going for anything crazy when it comes to specs. But I'm never going back to Playstation. I'm done with them as a brand. And depending on what Nintendo does with Switch 2, I might skip that too

Last edited:

nikos

I just got rid of my PS5 and am without a Sony console for the first time ever. Never thought I would be.

I have absolutely no desire to sit on a couch and play single player narrative games anymore. I lose interest in them quickly even on PC, so I'd rather wait for a port that I'm likely going to drop after a few hours anyway.

Also can't deal with console performance limitations. I'm waiting on games from my favorite series, such as FFVII Rebirth, because the demo performance on PS5 was horrible.

Multiplayer/live service games, on the other hand, I can play forever if they're fun enough. I think most PC players are more interested in multiplayer games anyway, so their strategy makes sense.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’ll work for some people. How significant is that number is another question.

I think their strategy makes the most sense personally either way, they make most of their money on 3rd party add-on content from console players who they get a cut of, they have be careful not to interrupt that.

Would day one PC single player backfire? I don’t know, but it’s probably not worth trying for them.

PaintTinJr

IMO they are completely deluding themselves when non-technical friends of mine that have been console enthusiast for at least 3 decades are being swayed by DF's "all better on PC, and cheaper" chat, and trying to convince me -despite having been PC and console for life, but main console - and them dropping £2k-3K on a PC with 4080TI and Ryzen 7800x3d to not realise it is complete cannibalisation of their day one PS4 Pro, PS5, PSVR2 consumer, the ones that catapult consoles to success at day one, that is now building a library on PC, and all for benefits that aren't even there in the way DF say, because overall the games are generic on PS5 now and generically scaled on PC, because they never got the exclusive love on PS5 of the PS3 era.

Jim and Hulst will have been the long term death of PlayStation IMO because the argument to own poorly utilised hardware in console with (IMHO) games at stupid physical prices and embarrassing digital prices on console just shouts, don't buy the hardware.

Neofire

Not releasing PlayStation games day and date on PC should have always been enforced for the continuity of the PlayStation platform but Sony needs to fire the idiot who came up with this strategy of thinking they can pull PC players to PlayStation. Two completely different ecosystems. 🤦🏿‍♂️

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Sony doesn’t understand the PC market then. That market wants options for hardware and in-game settings. You don’t get that on console.

They will wait.

yamaci17

Sony doesn’t understand the PC market then. That market wants options for hardware and in-game settings. You don’t get that on console.

They will wait.
lmao they can't even use the vsync+vrr+frame limiter under max refresh rate combo. that console literally runs at 60 hz container in 2024 despite there being no need for such a thing when VRR itself can sync to framerate to 60 without the need of Vsync while container itself can have an up limit of 120 hz

instead they limit the container to 60 hz physically, resulting full Vsync lag despite there being no need for such a thing. not to mention the insistence on not providing system level LFC and of course completely disregarding Freesync (and most low/midrange folks have cheap/midrange price Freesync screens that wont work with PS5. PS5 literally acts like it's a premium console that somehow demands the most premium "special sauce" VRR when it does not even utilize it properly unless the game in question is one of these super optimized 1st party games that can run 60+ FPS)

Last edited:
Are you daft to think they are just going to give up on gaming altogether instead of getting a more stable, optimized experience?
Sony does not have the best record on PC ports. Why would they waste $500 more on a closed system with online subscription from the jokers that can't optimize a game for shit?

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Sony does not have the best record on PC ports. Why would they waste $500 more on a closed system with online subscription from the jokers that can't optimize a game for shit?

They have a good record with pc ports, seems like your starting position is wrong.

Their average pc port is of better quality then most pc ports

Pc gaming is never going to be some bastion of highly optimized ports due to the nature of the platform

Last edited:

SSfox

Not gonna happen sadly.

All you are doing is building a library for PC players.

This. I know people who didn't bought PS5 because of PC ports.

I know nobody who bought PS5 to play a sequel of a game they played on PC.

This is an extremely failed strategy.

Top Bottom