• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reportedly very confident with Jade Raymond's Fairgame$

Interfectum

Gold Member
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony was so confident in Concord they bought the studio.
They game was already in development as an exclusive for them but they were so impressed with what they saw that felt the need to secure the talent.
If the colossal failure of Concord shows us anything is that whoever was calling the shots when games like Concord and Fair Game$ were approved has no idea what they are doing, them being confident in it means nothing.

I like how the truly incredible and ambitious new multiplayer game was a generic Hero shooter with no innovative gameplay, mechanics or game modes and some of the worst character design in the genre.
yep. this is an institutional failure. its not just the devs, its everyone at sony who kept concord alive while killing factions, shutting down multiple other studios, and laying off 900 devs from actually productive studios like ND, GG and Insomniac.

they need to name names and fire them one by one. or this will happen again when fair games comes out or marathon or horizon mp.

they need to bring in a guy who will cancel every last hero shooter, extraction shooter and destiny expansion. go back to making single player games with multiplayer elements, not the other way around. cod still hasnt stopped doing it. they still make a campaign every year evne though only 10% of people play it. they still work on 8v8 mp even though warzone is way more popular. no idea why sony studios cant do the same.

it shouldnt be that hard to release tlou2 with a factions 6v6 mp. you used to that in the ps3 days.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's hilarious that one of the few visually appealing things related to Concord is a damn controller.
And the character select screen has some nice animations and lip synching. The characters and colours are trash, but whomever did the mocap and audio synching did a solid job.

I would have never guessed in a million years the best looking things for a video game were the character select screen and a custom gamepad.

Astray

First of all, dislike numbers are no longer real (only Google have the real dislike figures now), they're shitty estimates made by the browser extension you downloaded.

With that out of the way, Fairgame$ actually has a somewhat better chance for success because (at least from what I've understood) it's launching into a far less crowded GAAS sub-market (heist co-op), that has a vastly weakened lead franchise (Payday 2 is around ~5000 CCU rn from a high of 250k, Payday 3 has ~600 with an all-time high of 77k*, and has <%50 positive reviews on Steam). EDIT: The sub-market also expects to pay for entry, this isn't hero shooters where the majority of incumbents are F2P.

The big elephant in the room there is GTA 6 and whatever it brings into the online multiplayer space. That could be the big kahuna that completely slays Fairgame$, especially if it launches around or after GTA6 launches. I'd imagine that Sony knows when it's releasing and will take measures to avoid it.

*CCU discussions are flawed because Payday is a paid series, but it's the best I have at my disposal short of reading Embracer quarterly reports.

I know nothing about Fairgame% outside of the very lame trailer, but I guarantee that people within Sony are taking another look at it right now.

I wonder if the leaders of the company have any regrets about promoting Hulst, too. I know people shit on Jim Ryan but Hulst was also his guy. He spearheaded this gaashit.
He's also responsible for one of their biggest hits ever, Helldivers 2. And what's likely gonna be a hit for Sony (Astro Bot).

Imagine having one of the biggest hits in your history AND one of your worst flops in the same fiscal year. I would pay good money to listen in on the Totoki/Hulst convos that are happening rn.

Last edited:
Fairgame$ at least had a cool trailer showing what gameplay could be like

Concord never had that. And Fairgame$ also has more of its own identity and niche

No reason to pull the plug. Support it and let the market decide. If it’s appealing it could be like Helldivers 2

Gonna politely disagree. Game looks like a total waste of time and money. I will be legitimately surprised if it does not bomb.

simpatico

Gold Member
Did Sony check the like to dislike ratio on the launch trailer? Why do they keep ignoring their fanbase? Just smacks of "no, it's the customers who are wrong"

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Good chance that the characters are a little less DEI focused after Concords failure. They don't want mocking on social media pre release.

proandrad

They should add a single player campaign to help sell the game. Just to come full circle.

Last edited:
Gonna politely disagree. Game looks like a total waste of time and money. I will be legitimately surprised if it does not bomb.

I dunno, I’ll give it a fair shake like I do everything

It probably will bomb but I hope it brings something new and exciting to the table like HD2

The trailer showed some cool set piece type encounters that I hope are common in the game, that’s what made HD2 so epic

Neon Xenon

And the character select screen has some nice animations and lip synching. The characters and colours are trash, but whomever did the mocap and audio synching did a solid job.

I would have never guessed in a million years the best looking things for a video game were the character select screen and a custom gamepad.
And you know what? You're right. The work put into things like animations and lip syncing highlights actual talent that could have gone towards something far more interesting.

Haymar is about the only character I just barely like the design of. And for a Sci-Fi game that's supposed to have a wide variety of fictional races, I think that one of the few designs that I find overall tolerable being a human isn't really a good thing.

Last edited:

Kotaro

League of Legends isn't woke?

League of Legends, Overwatch are all woke, but they didn't start that way. Remember they started way before the wokeness came into people mindset. So they got to establish the fanbase and survive the culture wars, maybe not expanding but at least enough for them to continue on

Nowadays it's hard to escape woke elements in almost any game. The ones that are free of woke elements, managed to do well even as new franchise, Lies of P, Stellar Blade, Wukong

Last edited:

Bernardougf

This is why sales losses only is not a good metric of a huge fail ... what Concord did was absolutely taint Sony's image in the gaas space, after the cancelations of ND game and heavy marketing of this turd of a game ... who tf will be running to buy their next gaas ? .... thats why they took it down so fast ... they want people to forget this shit asap

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't have a good feeling about the game. Nothing I've seen related to it has seemed extraordinary so hopefully they do a better job of creating a hook that people who enjoy the genre will like.

Honestly, I not going to buy it because it's not the kind of game I enjoy. It could have a hook that I just can't see or don't get.

DarkstarRising13

Neo Member
I agree with Bernardougf; Sony's upper management should note that Concord will damage its reputation in the long run. This is PlayStation's Redfall; an absolute disaster that will be a stain that will never go away. They should count themselves lucky that Astro Bot - which I will buy on Day 1 (Physical Edition) - will save them from that catastrophe. Ironically, they're shutting down that abomination the same day Astro Bot will launch.

Last edited:

Astray

League of Legends, Overwatch are all woke, but they didn't start that way. Remember they started way before the wokeness came into people mindset. So they got to establish the fanbase and survive the culture wars, maybe not expanding but at least enough for them to continue on

Nowadays it's hard to escape woke elements in almost any game. The ones that are free of woke elements, managed to do well even as new franchise, Lies of P, Stellar Blade, Wukong
Apex Legends started out woke and is a smash hit.

The woke stuff never killed a game on its own.

themonk

Neo Member
What Sony and Microsoft need to realise is that their games are bombing because they're refusing to listen to the audience that grew them into the juggernauts they are today.

Keep going down this GaaS shithole of a path, and the market will respond in kind.

Concord was just the start, I think this will become a movement from core gamers everywhere who is tired of this GAAS nonsense.

The problem has nothing to do with the games being GAAS… I’ve met a lighting compositor who was into me and she was a really weird person (she had a woke ego) Wait til you’re single player games have terrible gameplay and corny stories….. Multiplayer games need great GAMEPLAY!!! FF16 is a game with great graphics but garbage gameplay but it’s story and graphics hide it’s flaws…

Most of these devs are artsy and care less about the actual GAME… These developers forgot that most of the actual gamers are MEN!!!

Last edited:

Kotaro

it started in 2019, ok maybe once in blue moon a new woke franchise can prosper, good luck trying again in this current toxic culture war environment

themonk

Neo Member
yep. this is an institutional failure. its not just the devs, its everyone at sony who kept concord alive while killing factions, shutting down multiple other studios, and laying off 900 devs from actually productive studios like ND, GG and Insomniac.

they need to name names and fire them one by one. or this will happen again when fair games comes out or marathon or horizon mp.

they need to bring in a guy who will cancel every last hero shooter, extraction shooter and destiny expansion. go back to making single player games with multiplayer elements, not the other way around. cod still hasnt stopped doing it. they still make a campaign every year evne though only 10% of people play it. they still work on 8v8 mp even though warzone is way more popular. no idea why sony studios cant do the same.

it shouldnt be that hard to release tlou2 with a factions 6v6 mp. you used to that in the ps3 days.
You do know GG is making a woke horizon multiplayer game right???

Top Bottom