• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reportedly very confident with Jade Raymond's Fairgame$

Astray

it started in 2019, ok maybe once in blue moon a new woke franchise can prosper, good luck trying again in this current toxic culture war environment
It's not even "once in a blue moon".

Basically all the successful games have some sort of "wokeness" to them.

Meanwhile name me one game that's "anti-woke" and successful. There's basically none, at best there are games that avoid the woke notion without addressing it critically, but even that isn't a guarantee of success.

themonk

Neo Member
Sl1Xiza.png
Fvj9EZX.png

Miley Cyrus Nod GIF by The Voice
Wait til people see the next main characters in the SP titles and start to realize this has nothing to do with GAAS and Sony is just turning into Disney…

9JdBdRx.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree with Bernardougf; Sony's upper management should note that Concord will damage its reputation in the long run. This is PlayStation's Redfall; an absolute disaster that will be a stain that will never go away. They should count themselves lucky that Astro Bot - which I will buy on Day 1 (Physical Edition) - will save them from that catastrophe. Ironically, they're shutting down that abomination the same day Astro Bot will launch.
I dont think Concord really damages their overall brand image. It's more for internet laughs. A lot of PS gamers (or potential buyers) probably dont even know about or care about Concord anyway. But it will damage their GAAS strategy. And for many gamers thats actually a good thing as maybe it'll make them focus on tried and true SP games which is their strength (along with GT).

themonk

Neo Member

Meanwhile name me one game that's "anti-woke" and successful. There's basically none, at best there are games that avoid the woke notion without addressing it critically, but even that isn't a guarantee of success.
Nit everything with politics is “woke” Jujutsu Kaisen has femboys but so does 90% of anime and it’s loved because the mangakas aren’t forcing cringe garbage down your throat.

But once you start getting translators that want to push a message rather than do a story justice, or start to create a negative work environment because they are lazy and feel like they are being oppressed because they don’t want to do crunch you may start to complain. Marvel spread a little woke and then it just kept getting worse and worse….

Media and entertainment as a whole has gotten worse…

The only industry in entertainment that I hope doesn’t get this virus that is thriving is Anime.

How confident are some of you that Sony’s next new single player campaign will be good with a great lead?

Last edited:

Astray

Nit everything with politics is “woke” Jujutsu Kaisen has femboys but so does 90% of anime and it’s loved because the mangakas aren’t forcing cringe garbage down your throat.

But once you start getting translators that want to push a message rather than do a story justice, or start to create a negative work environment because they are lazy and feel like they are being oppressed because they don’t want to do crunch you may start to complain. Marvel spread a little woke and then it just kept getting worse and worse….

Media and entertainment as a whole has gotten worse…

The only industry in entertainment that I hope doesn’t get this virus that is thriving is Anime.
Now we're talking about other media entirely and not games.

The biggest problem facing the anti-woke crowd is that they barely create any actual media, let alone successful media.

You can't win a culture clash if all you do is whine about what other people create.

DarkstarRising13

Neo Member
I dont think Concord really damages their overall brand image. It's more for internet laughs. A lot of PS gamers (or potential buyers) probably dont even know about or care about Concord anyway. But it will damage their GAAS strategy. And for many gamers thats actually a good thing as maybe it'll make them focus on tried and true SP games which is their strength (along with GT).
Hmm... Yeah, that is true. The average gamer who is and or will be interested in PS5 will hardly care about the disaster of a game that is Concord, and if those come across Concord will brush it off as nothing more than another mediocre GaaS title not worth their time. Aside from that abomination, 2024 was an excellent year for PS5 owners. Granblue Fantasy Relink, FF7 Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and Black Myth Wukong (I know it's a timed PS5 exclusive in all but name because of the Xbox Series S bullshit but still), and the PS5's unofficial mascot Astro Bot. ^_^

Kotaro

We actually don't need anti-woke, as long as it's just neutral it's fine for many of us gamer, Lies of P and Wukong are free from woke elements. Elden Ring, even though it contains some woke elements (the type A and B body type), it's relatively free of woke elements. Even conservatives can claim it's Christianity-based game since you encounter so many Christian symbolism (churches, chapels, cathedrals, pastor, turtle pope, bibles, saints, crucifixes, etc, etc, you literally cannot escape Christian symbolism in every corner of the game)

Stellar Blade is the only game that I can think of as anti-woke. Over one million in two months exclusive to PS5, many more millions once it's available to PC

Last edited:

mrcroket

Wukong as a game doesn't really go against the wokeness. They may not like it, but it's not like you are murdering pronoun havers in that game.
Wokeness is about forcibly including out-of-context DEI, pronouns, and LGTBIQ+ representation, so a game that ignores all of that is an anti-woke game, unless for you it has to be a game about killing black people or gay people, which would be absurd and abominable.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If Sony is smart they'll shadow drop Fairgames without any additional media on the game. Put out a trailer and start advertising once it's available.

No matter if the game is good or not, there are forces out there determined that any live service game from Sony fails. HD2 caught these forces off guard, but they're ready now.

recursive

They are the most liked as well. Most people buy a PlayStation to play multiplayer games.
No.

skit_data

Gold Member
I'm not excluding the poasibility but I deem it very unlikely that they'd have two games in a row bombing harder than any game has bombed ever before.

Not saying it'll set the charts on fire but I don't think we have another Concord in this.

Killjoy-NL

Nope. A lot of people play MP filler inbetween the SP games they like the most.
That's exactly what Sony is after with their Gaas strategy, especially with MS buying up major publishers.

People turn it into something it is not, although Concord definitely isn't working in Sony's favor.

Also, people conveniently exclude Helldivers 2 from the conversation lately.

Last edited:

nnytk

Neo Member
Cancel this and Marathon. Work on SP games with or without traditional MP. That’s your audience.

Amen! With games like RB6, Apex, Fortnite, Destiny 2, Warframe, PUBG, Tarkov, Overwatch, DotA, CS:GO, CoD,...

How do these companies think they'll be able to compete, make an impact? Long-term and short-term this seems nearly impossible with a similar product.

There is a reason why quality indie games and singleplayer games are popular. Give us more of that please. Less GaaS or Games as a Storefront.

Barakov

Now we're talking about other media entirely and not games.

The biggest problem facing the anti-woke crowd is that they barely create any actual media, let alone successful media.

You can't win a culture clash if all you do is whine about what other people create.
True. But not buying their bullshit definitely helps. Otherwise Concord wouldn't of been SHUTDOWN A WEEK AFTER IT LAUNCHED. The woke mentality is strong. But not buying their propaganda is stronger.

Cyberpunkd

recepcao-interna-de-fairgame-na-sony-estaria-bastante-positiva-113179.webp

One of the company's upcoming titles is Fairgame$, a multiplayer extraction game developed by Jade Raymond, former producer of Assassin's Creed. Although we still don't have much information about the project, it seems that internally it's going well.

The information came from Chris Dring, a journalist for the Games Industry portal. According to him, internal talks at Sony about Fairgame$ are very positive, with the studio committed to making the game work and providing ongoing support.

What's more, he claims that Sony was already worried about Concord before its release. During the Summer Games Fest, the majority opted to test Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon Adventures instead of Concord, which would have shaken internal confidence in the project.

Source
I’m sure there were confident about Concord as well. This is back-pedalling, execs are trying to get as far away from Concord as possible: “I always had my doubts about Concord” is trying to save your ass when someone ultimately will have to take the fall.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I would be confident that the earth is flat and putin is a saint in disguise if this made me score with miss jade, just saying...

zokie

i personally think Fairgame$ will survive due to the tagline of " Welcome to FAIRGAME$, your chance to rob the rich and rebalance the scales. "

But then , whether the customers liking it is another issue as we need to see actual gameplay and storyline

Felessan

Cancel this and Marathon. Work on SP games with or without traditional MP. That’s your audience.
Fortnite, Genshin and Helldivers2 players are not Sony audience then?

At this point im just going to assume that outside Asian countries, the majority of the videogame industry (devs, journalists, CEOs) have no clue what gamers really want. SO telling me someone at a studio r games division is saying things are looking good or they are confident about the project, it means jack shit untill a demo is out for the public to try it and tell you whats really going on.
It's funny to see argument "Asian devs" against gaas
Inside Asian countries devs make 90+% of their games gaas, and a few SP games are there just because that MP market is way oversaturated and some demand for more streamlined SP experience always present

Nope. A lot of people play MP filler inbetween the SP games they like the most.
A lot of people play gaas/MP exclusively or predominantly, especially younger people
Like gaas should be already around half of revenue of playstation, things like Fortnite, Apex, Genshin etc are popular

I kinda liked parts of Concord from its trailer, Walmart GuardiansotG or whatever. Fairgame looked like OnRush quality to me, colorful but without any actual style and direction. Since I am not much of a MP guy my opinion does not matter much though and I will not play either soon, unless they are part of Plus or F2P. Back4Blood was the last MP game I bought, a game L4D players and the general audience seemed not to like much.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Fairgames is literally Hyenas on earth, the game SEGA cancelled and at least that had some style even if the "lololololol drag queen's are so cool" characters killed it before it launched.

Go to stage in groups of 3, fight over vaults you have to break into with NPC security teams, battle other groups of 3 players who are trying to extract the same loot in PvP engagements, etc.

It's literally the same thing without the zero G mechanic, who thinks this will succeed? Who the fuck has confidence when anouther publisher has made the exact same thing and gone "naaaaa where good" and pulled the plug.

Last edited:
Fortnite, Genshin and Helldivers2 players are not Sony audience then?

It's funny to see argument "Asian devs" against gaas
Inside Asian countries devs make 90+% of their games gaas, and a few SP games are there just because that MP market is way oversaturated and some demand for more streamlined SP experience always present

A lot of people play gaas/MP exclusively or predominantly, especially younger people
Like gaas should be already around half of revenue of playstation, things like Fortnite, Apex, Genshin etc are popular

The most successful Asian games, even GaaS, are ALL Single player games with a much bigger budget than traditional JRPGs at retail price. Genshin is an adventure game with production values that blow out the competition and that's why it's so successful.

Helldivers 2 is a co-op that can be played solo with production values very much like Sony's target audience demands.

Fornite has managed to create its own multiverse, it's not comparable to anyone else.

Felessan

The most successful Asian games, even GaaS, are ALL Single player games with a much bigger budget than traditional JRPGs at retail price. Genshin is an adventure game with production values that blow out the competition and that's why it's so successful.

Helldivers 2 is a co-op that can be played solo with production values very much like Sony's target audience demands.

Fornite has managed to create its own multiverse, it's not comparable to anyone else.
They are not SP games per traditional perception, they are online gaas with little to no [enforcement] of interaction with other players. Simply MP game played solo (some of MP games like FF14 even allow it today). But still anchored to online and timetable.
Gameplay cycle are heavily inherited from MP (mostly MMO) - daily/weekly cycles, time gates, resource gates etc - structure that makes you motivated to get into game regularly at more or less fixed intervals (ideally one or two times a day)
This is completely opposite to classic SP where you play when you want how much you want - there are should be no difference whether you finish game in one go, play a hour a day or play 6 hours sessions only on weekends.

Shubh_C63

Fairgames is literally Hyenas on earth, the game SEGA cancelled and at least that had some style even if the "lololololol drag queen's are so cool" characters killed it before it launched.

Go to stage in groups of 3, fight over vaults you have to break into with NPC security teams, battle other groups of 3 players who are trying to extract the same loot in PvP engagements, etc.

It's literally the same thing without the zero G mechanic, who thinks this will succeed? Who the fuck has confidence when anouther publisher has made the exact same thing and gone "naaaaa where good" and pulled the plug.

And If I remember correctly YAGER worked on the game also. The guys from Spec Ops the Line.
So the mechanics must be respectable yet they saw the signs and made such a wise move.

Top Bottom