• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

If you intend on playing with other people 100% of the way, 99/1 might be easier.

If you play by yourself a lot then it may be easier for 1/99 because you can actually do damage without relying on the garbage AI.

So I'm better off going full Divine then, considering I like to play the avalon pacts with other people way more than doing them solo. Alright, thanks.

Sol1dus

About sigils, some were greatly nerfed after the update.

My attack sigils before were giving me an extra percentage of my attack. Since I'm 1/99 I was at a 300 base level and the 150% 1 hp one was giving me a whopping 700 attack. Now it only gives me 150, so I'm at 450.

To compensate for this, they made the enemies weaker I think, since it takes me the exact same time to kill them as before. It's just that now it's less enticing to go for a full 1/99 build to get the multiplier. This also makes other sigils in the palm a little more useful since I might be willing to give up 70 extra attack points, but not 210 before (70% vs +70 now).

Dullahan is hard as a 1/99 with the hp loss, but Behemoth is cakewalk. I also really, really liked the inclusion in the patch
of a lvl 10 Jack-o-Lantern. Finally got my SE++ to increase heat attacks.

I'm really having a hard time killin everything but damn cats after this patch...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm really having a hard time killin everything but damn cats after this patch...
You shouldn't, because nothing changed except the UI representation in sigils. Damage calculation hasn't changed. Just placebo through numbers.

ZeroAKA

Going for the plat so I have to ask, is it easier to go for 99/1 Life or 99/1 Magic, or does it even matter?
99/1 is insanely easy. I rarely dropped to 50% HP even when I was being careless. Some of the later dual missions could take over 30 minutes though if you don't use the right sigils and offerings though.

The new patch made life and neutral builds more viable. Those defense sigils still boost based on percentage rather than numbers.

Adahn

Just staff, if you don't destroy the staff she will constantly heal herself.

Anyway, gemini Illecebras is probably the toughest time I have had with this game. I have done the quest twice and each time took 20 minutes with innumerable casualties. I am also max level.

I finally nailed Gemini lllecebra last night; both the save and sac run took me about 27 mins each, although there was a lot of wasted time I could clean up with practice. My tips for anyone else who has been struggling:

If offline, do it solo. The AI just gets in the way and doesn’t do nearly enough damage to warrant being included
Volt armour! I’d never really bothered with armour before but found it was essential (for me!) here

Rest of the offering loadout:

Large Stone throwing
Large Ice throwing
Solo heal
Archgolem (venom)
Extra damage (floating ice mines for me)

Take whatever glyphs you feel comfortable with; on my first run I took the giant +30% health purple arm, and then swopped that out for damage on the second run.
Keep the armour on at all times, pre-emptively refresh if you have to
The golem can do surprising amounts of damage in such a mobile fight; try to stick it up in a choke point and don’t necessarily hug it, I found that one of them usually got herself within range wherever it was
I had trouble intentionally splitting, but if it happens naturally in the fight then they are a cake walk alone
If you get petrified by one and it goes into the snake move right away you should just have enough time to break free and roll – otherwise, with armour on, just heal, run and regroup.

So stoked I beat the fight finally, on to the last set of pacts I guess!

Number45

What solo heal do you recommend? Whenever I do the numbers the Healing Bloom (L) always comes out on top (way on top) but obviously needs a little time.

Adahn

What solo heal do you recommend? Whenever I do the numbers the Healing Bloom (L) always comes out on top (way on top) but obviously needs a little time.

I went with a Healing Seed (L) *** just because of the speed of use and the number of uses I had. The key for me was to keep moving and to keep topped up so I was ok using that over one of the slower but more healing ones.

How the hell am I supposed to beat the 5 minute pacts for the harder bosses (like the Siren)? I tried every strategy I could think of, with online partners and solo, and couldn't do it.

I feel like I have to have 99 Magic and the strongest sigils just to do it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I'm at a 40/40 build right now working my way through the harder pacts.

I have no idea if I want to stay neutral, go chaos or go holy. My primary strategy so far has been to inflict whatever status ailment they're weak to by using blankets and throw, unleash a critical attack to shatter it (forget what its officially called), stay alive (mainly through armor but shields are boss on shit thats easy to knockdown like werewolves) and when I can sneak in the Blood Demonshot spell do that.

I've found AI partners to be incredibly useless they literally die in like 5 seconds now and its easier to get shit done solo.

But now I'm not sure what path to go. I think I like being neutral but I'm going to have to pick a path to get the 99 trophy because I do plan on getting the plat for this one

I kind of want to go holy but I know in the back of my head this is a terrible decision, the timed pacts seem literally impossible to do if you aren't 99 chaos but I also know I'm not good enough to not get hit so going down that route would be hell as well.

Shrug, no idea what decision to make, was wondering what the thoughts were on people who were crazy enough to play both.

Number45

I have one tip that has helped me as someone who is/will be going full chaos: don't write off your companions completely. Potentially a free revive when you're struggling to stay up, and a free double sacrifice if you want all out damage. :)

At all other times I try to ignore them. Just pick companions who don't have explosive attacks (because knocking you out of your animation is infuriating), and prepare to face-palm occasionally at the terrible path finding.

So I'm at a 40/40 build right now working my way through the harder pacts.

I have no idea if I want to stay neutral, go chaos or go holy. My primary strategy so far has been to inflict whatever status ailment they're weak to by using blankets and throw, unleash a critical attack to shatter it (forget what its officially called), stay alive (mainly through armor but shields are boss on shit thats easy to knockdown like werewolves) and when I can sneak in the Blood Demonshot spell do that.

I've found AI partners to be incredibly useless they literally die in like 5 seconds now and its easier to get shit done solo.

But now I'm not sure what path to go. I think I like being neutral but I'm going to have to pick a path to get the 99 trophy because I do plan on getting the plat for this one

I kind of want to go holy but I know in the back of my head this is a terrible decision, the timed pacts seem literally impossible to do if you aren't 99 chaos but I also know I'm not good enough to not get hit so going down that route would be hell as well.

Shrug, no idea what decision to make, was wondering what the thoughts were on people who were crazy enough to play both.

Using a lightning attack on a frozen enemy, for example, is called a skillful attack. I'm starting to think that getting high attack is the better decision first, so you can easily get all of the spells and essences that you need for the best spells and sigils.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I have one tip that has helped me as someone who is/will be going full chaos: don't write off your companions completely. Potentially a free revive when you're struggling to stay up, and a free double sacrifice if you want all out damage. :)

At all other times I try to ignore them. Just pick companions who don't have explosive attacks (because knocking you out of your animation is infuriating), and prepare to face-palm occasionally at the terrible path finding.

Haha dear god this.

I remember dying once with only 1 alive AI left but the AI got stuck against a rock pillar and the boss was nearly dead but literally on the other side of the map.

So I had to wait and wait and wait some more. Eventually I just quit and restart because it was probably never going to end. The god damn AI partner just kept on running forward into the rock instead of deciding to back up and run around it. Was the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen.

Adahn

Haha dear god this.

I remember dying once with only 1 alive AI left but the AI got stuck against a rock pillar and the boss was nearly dead but literally on the other side of the map.

So I had to wait and wait and wait some more. Eventually I just quit and restart because it was probably never going to end. The god damn AI partner just kept on running forward into the rock instead of deciding to back up and run around it. Was the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen.

I swing between how useful AI companions are; on an easy boss all they do is get in the way and make the boss take longer to kill, but on some of the tougher ones they are fairly useful to keep around so that the boss has distractions etc. Of course, once you gear/skill up you can drop them unless you need their SE/LE.

Their AI is dreadful though. I hate saving one in a safe position and then watching then run right up to the archfiend before they cast their heal spell!

Cha

So, which AI partners do you guys prefer taking quests with?
For me, it's almost always between Einder, Radux and Ultheena. They don't die very often.

Haha dear god this.

Had something similar happen, got knocked down by the boss, called for my ally to help me, and I can see him just running in place, clearly stuck on something. Fuck.

Also have one ally that seems to always run around with a stone shield (I'm going to have to actually watch him in a battle, he has that shield out so much I'm not sure he's actually doing anything else) and when I need help I have to hope the boss hits him, otherwise he just runs up to me and stands there.

Mondriaan

I swing between how useful AI companions are; on an easy boss all they do is get in the way and make the boss take longer to kill, but on some of the tougher ones they are fairly useful to keep around so that the boss has distractions etc. Of course, once you gear/skill up you can drop them unless you need their SE/LE.
Farming SE/LE (especially at the +/++ level) from the NPC allies is pretty tedious.

I really want those non-aligned +50% element surge/+20% resist sigils, though.

Number45

So, which AI partners do you guys prefer taking quests with?
For me, it's almost always between Einder, Radux and Ultheena. They don't die very often.
I'd had a mind to level them all up, but I don't think there's actually any incentive to do so is there?

I'd had a mind to level them all up, but I don't think there's actually any incentive to do so is there?

Well not really - they are only usefull as distraction to take dmg from monster so you can safely lob mortar bombs or plant golems.
And even that only against fast enemies.

Mondriaan

It gives them a wider selection of spells to use, but they also become more expensive (lacrima-wise) to resurrect.

I had one of them sacrifice me so that I could collect the additional martyr award and was a little surprised to see how little damage that this dark arm IV was doing with a rising attack spell. This is a spell that should be doing something like ~200 for a player IIRC, and it was doing something like 40 or so.

I really need to get back into this game @_@ I was playing it, loving it, and then I was like "let me try progressing in Persona 4 a bit, see if it finally takes off) and wham, I'm addicted to that.

Heh dual Elven Queens in difficulty 8 secodn mission suddenly got super easy since they separated themselves pn both sides of canyon :D

J0dy77

Bought Soul Sacrifice right after release but can't seem to get hooked. Are there any beginner guides that have popped up to get through the beginning stages of the game? I feel like I'm just spamming abilities and not really sure what the long term focus of the game is.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Really hope Ogre isn't a complete retread of Minototaur, because Cyclops and Siren are embarrassing.

Agent, did you really go neutral? If so, what do you think of it so far?

i really like it. there's some neutral specific sigils that make your damage output really high. i don't feel any less powerful. the difference for me is that i can heal more efficiently, can take a few hits, and still deal some good damage.

i have Unyielding Sigil V (attack +40%/defense +50%), 2 force sigils and 2 special sigils. the special sigils are for use with my cursed talisman (L). it's base damage 50x3 + 2 force sigils + 2 special sigils + unyielding sigil v + really quick casting time = damn good damage :)

in the next dlc neutrals get drubbing 3. i'll replace my drubbing 1(+40% force surge) with drubbing 3(+100% force surge).

Sorry if this has been asked already:

Is the game worth it if I do not like Monster Hunter at all and if repetition (like re-doing the same mission over and over) is something I really do not like?

I liked the demo, to be honest and the artdesign and general tone of the game is definitely appealing to me....but you know...

Sorry if this has been asked already:

Is the game worth it if I do not like Monster Hunter at all and if repetition (like re-doing the same mission over and over) is something I really do not like?

I liked the demo, to be honest and the artdesign and general tone of the game is definitely appealing to me....but you know...

The game is repetitive but you don't really have to redo the same missions over and over to beat it. There's a lot of content after the main story is done.

If you liked the demo I'd say go for it.

ZeroAKA

i really like it. there's some neutral specific sigils that make your damage output really high. i don't feel any less powerful. the difference for me is that i can heal more efficiently, can take a few hits, and still deal some good damage.

i have Unyielding Sigil V (attack +40%/defense +50%), 2 force sigils and 2 special sigils. the special sigils are for use with my cursed talisman (L). it's base damage 50x3 + 2 force sigils + 2 special sigils + unyielding sigil v + really quick casting time = damn good damage :)

in the next dlc neutrals get drubbing 3. i'll replace my drubbing 1(+40% force surge) with drubbing 3(+100% force surge).
Well, now I'm tempted to switch over to neutral. I don't want to lose my Divine Arm IV though. D:

Now i'm starting to feel the burn (although its slight).

Any Tips on the Assassin in Avalon VI, that attack packs a fucking wallop and is fast.
Spamming weapon-type offerings works well against every assassin. I've personally found success as a Divine user by running circles around her and using Sanguine offerings.

Gattsu25

Banned
Just got a vita and this game.

The last episode of the Cruncheons podcast sold me on this game. Describing the game as kind of like a new Phantom Dust got my attention.

I can see the influence but it's not exactly an accurate description. Still liking what I'm playing so far and I'm loving the theme and feel of the game's lore.

Yopis

This game really has had great support, the free dlc is impressive to me at least.

I wish this game got the credibility it deserves.

Feel the same pushed a few friends that were on the fence over. Need to jump into some Gaf games more. Game is great I don't mind the grind honestly.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I got to CH 9 in the avalon pacts.

What the fuck.

Dual Illecebra. I don't know. I can't do this shit its so frustrating. My strategy right now is to survive until I can get them to split apart but it inevitably fails. Wearing Volt Armor helps a ton and I duck into Mind's Eye right before petrify but its really hard to do that when they are both doing it and the other one is behind your line of sight.

Thinking about bailing out on Blood to go for the Cursed Talisman build to try to mitigate some of the damage. I don't know what drops higher level Cursed Talismans though. I know theres something in the regular avalon pacts that drops the Cursed Talisman (M) because I have one but I have no idea what pact it was from x_x. Can anybody help me out? Obviously if somebody knows where to get Cursed Talisman (L) that'd be great too.

So I got to CH 9 in the avalon pacts.

What the fuck.

Dual Illecebra. I don't know. I can't do this shit its so frustrating. My strategy right now is to survive until I can get them to split apart but it inevitably fails. Wearing Volt Armor helps a ton and I duck into Mind's Eye right before petrify but its really hard to do that when they are both doing it and the other one is behind your line of sight.

Thinking about bailing out on Blood to go for the Cursed Talisman build to try to mitigate some of the damage. I don't know what drops higher level Cursed Talismans though. I know theres something in the regular avalon pacts that drops the Cursed Talisman (M) because I have one but I have no idea what pact it was from x_x. Can anybody help me out? Obviously if somebody knows where to get Cursed Talisman (L) that'd be great too.

cursed talisman(L) is only a martyr drop from the higher level missions. very rare. you get 2 cursed talisman(M) for every time you beat the dual elven queens.

i'll be on a little later if you need a hand. don't know if i've tried them as a neutral yet, but it'll certainly be interesting.

Adahn

So, finished up most things in the game and I’m just working on my last two trophies (100 multiplayer games, 99 divine/chaos) and as I wanted an Elven Queen LE++ I was just bumming around in Avalon 5 saving her over and over. Between 60/40 and 70/30 I seem to have become really quite gimped – my starting golem has gone from destroying one of her body pieces in one hit to needing some support from my other offerings.

Now, I knew that while full chaos would do more damage than full divine I thought that full divine would at least be viable, but now I’m starting to get worried that I’ll be shooting myself in the foot for when I go back to the harder pacts. Can anyone suggest any decent loadouts for soloing? The only damage increases I can see in the glyphs are mines and blood magic – is that right? I guess it would be better to farm some essences for the blood magic increases now rather than when I actually hit 99/1?

I downloaded the new DLC today, and I completed the finding memories quests to unlock the actual quests, and I got one of those loading hint screens that said to repair broken offerings you need to collect ether. It should say lacrima, right?

Grinchy

Banned
I know I'm pretty late on this, but I finally beat the SP. That story was quite cool and it was way better and more intricate than I would have expected from a game of this type. I was like level 85, so I was definitely overleveled for the fight, but that's ok.

Now it's time to finally get into the more difficult Avalon missions.

Top Bottom