• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Mrfb17

Neo Member
I've played the demo and loving the stategical style gameplay up to now. Reminds me of Phantom Dust on Xbox. Having a great time with just the 3 demo bosses so give me 15 or so and I'll be a happy chappy.

Add me to the Sorcerer list too please:

Mrfb17 (EU)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Half of the game's content is unavailable outside of Avalon and the reviewers have played next to none multiplayer, uh.

ZeroAKA

The game is at 75 on Metacritic right now, which is about what I expected. It does hurt a bit that some of the biggest English-speaking sites are giving it 6s and 7s though, even if some of the points they made may not be entirely accurate.

Updating the OP in a bit...

Number45

Polygon cites "dull combat mechanics"? What the fuck.

EDIT: EG also questioning the depth of the combat system:

It's just a shame that behind all the mythical monsters and magical flourishes there isn't an equally accomplished gameplay system that actively encourages you to learn and exploit the nuances of your prey.
Every time I dip back in to the world of reviews I'm reminded why I don't read reviews.

Hanmik

I'm still trying to understand the Edge review and score.

Also, I don't know how reviewers spent 20-30 hours... they really finished the game?

hmm... if you look at some trophy sites.. you can see that not "many" gamers have finished the game..

look here http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/1926-Soul-Sacrifice/11-Puppet-Holiday

that is the last trophy you get when you "complete" the singleplayer.. 150 gamers own the game only 13 gamers have that trophy (including the ever fantastic Jim Sterling who got it first)... I don´t have it yet (still need some chapters to finish the game, so my review will have to wait. I would also like to play MP much more.

that will give you a good indication..

Pulled out my Vita after not touching it for months. I actually forgot how to turn it on, and kept wondering why the PS-Button wasn't turning it on...thinking the battery had died or something.

I'm hearing good things about Soul Sacrifice, so much so that's convinced me to download the 1.2g demo.

I'm just wondering, if I leave my Vita on download...will it still download while asleep? I recall when I first had it, it had problems with downloads stop all of a sudden.

Number45

Pulled out my Vita after not touching it for months. I actually forgot how to turn it on, and kept wondering why the PS-Button wasn't turning it on...thinking the battery had died or something.

I'm hearing good things about Soul Sacrifice, so much so that's convinced me to download the 1.2g demo.

I'm just wondering, if I leave my Vita on download...will it still download while asleep? I recall when I first had it, it had problems with downloads stop all of a sudden.
It sure will. Let it go to sleep naturally to be sure (don't press the power button), although I think they've patched the problem where manually putting it to sleep would pause downloads.

If you're US based and want to play the demo online you'll need to be quick, they'll be turning off the demo online servers pretty soon.

Of course a niche game hunting game will get mediocre to decent reviews. I think Soul Sacrifice deserves way better. This certainly isn't helping sales.

I guess I'm expecting too much to assume reviewers will actually learn about a game before they write about it.

Bazza

Tested this the other day, downloads continue even if you press the power button to put it to sleep.

Grinchy

Banned
I still don't really understand this limit of 10 spells in the full game.

So, if I have 14 spells right now that are 3-Star level spells, 4 of them are going to suddenly disappear? Or does it mean that if I have 22 grave clods, 12 of them will disappear?

ZeroAKA

It sure will. Let it go to sleep naturally to be sure (don't press the power button), although I think they've patched the problem where manually putting it to sleep would pause downloads.
Tested this the other day, downloads continue even if you press the power button to put it to sleep.
Unless the last firmware update broke that feature, like what happened to me. I have to keep my Vita on for downloads now because downloads pause even when the Vita automatically goes into sleep mode.

Wow 80 hours lol. I've at most put in about one or 2 hours.

Was waiting for the main game really.

Why?
With the demo being a locked version of the main game with so much content and the ability to carry everything forward, I don't understand why you would wait for the main game if you liked the demo and planned on picking it up at or near launch.

Are we sure about the 10 offerings in the full game limit?
Check out this trophy -- it's a secret one so I'll put spoilers around it:

More Power, More Courage -- Held 30 of one Offering.

Why?
With the demo being a locked version of the main game with so much content and the ability to carry everything forward, I don't understand why you would wait for the main game if you liked the demo and planned on picking it up at or near launch.

Exams and other games taking up my time. Also hate the idea of getting to the end of the demo and not being able to continue.

Thats why when there are demos that transfer over saves to the main game I just unlock the basic stuff such as Multiplayer or weapons and leave it.

Number45

So, if I have 14 spells right now that are 3-Star level spells, 4 of them are going to suddenly disappear? Or does it mean that if I have 22 grave clods, 12 of them will disappear?
My understanding is that it's 10 of each spell subset - so you could have ten 0* offerings, ten 1* offerings, ten 2* offerings and ten 3* offerings of the same type. Don't know if it's a limitation of the save, or that they didn't want people to have too much of a headstart when the game launches (although a staggered release kind of fucks that up, thanks UK Friday release day!).

EDIT: Yeah it should be clear the limit is just for the save transfer. Even in the demo you can have more than 10 copies of each.

Cyclops tips?
It begins. :'(

Ken

Why?

Are we sure about the 10 offerings in the full game limit?
Check out this trophy -- it's a secret one so I'll put spoilers around it:

More Power, More Courage -- Held 30 of one Offering.

The 10 offerings limit is probably just for the transfer. I'm already over 10 in the full game on some offerings.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

That's impossible, since there's even a trophy for 30 copies of the same spell (same spell = same level of the same spell).

Edit:
Ah, yeah, probably just for transferring data from the demo.

Grinchy

Banned
My understanding is that it's 10 of each spell subset - so you could have ten 0* offerings, ten 1* offerings, ten 2* offerings and ten 3* offerings of the same type. Don't know if it's a limitation of the save, or that they didn't want people to have too much of a headstart when the game launches (although a staggered release kind of fucks that up, thanks UK Friday release day!).

So how does it choose which of my 3-star spells it's going to delete for no reason? I can't choose to delete the spells either, as far as I know. The limitation makes no sense to me whatsoever.

edit- Or do I choose which 10 spells I'm transferring over?

Ken

So how does it choose which of my 3-star spells it's going to delete for no reason? I can't choose to delete the spells either, as far as I know. The limitation makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Uh 10 of the same 3 star offerings. If you have 10 3star firewood and 10 3star frostroot you keep them all.

Grinchy

Banned
Ok see that's what I was asking. If it was 10 total 3-star spells, or 10 of each of the 3-star spells. It really hasn't been that clear to me. I was sitting here thinking that b/c I had 14 different spells in the 3-star tier, I just had to lose 4 of them.

So basically the limit means nothing and it's fine.

Number45

Ok see that's what I was asking. If it was 10 total 3-star spells, or 10 of each of the 3-star spells. It really hasn't been that clear. I was sitting here thinking that b/c I had 14 different spells in the 3-star tier, I just had to lose 4 of them.

Yeah, 10 of each rank of each spell so you should be fine. Unless you've played an INSANE amount of the demo!

Ok see that's what I was asking. If it was 10 total 3-star spells, or 10 of each of the 3-star spells. It really hasn't been that clear to me. I was sitting here thinking that b/c I had 14 different spells in the 3-star tier, I just had to lose 4 of them.

Easy for you to say. I have 99 of some stuff. Time to go fuse/boost.

hmm... if you look at some trophy sites.. you can see that not "many" gamers have finished the game..

that is the last trophy you get when you "complete" the singleplayer.. 150 gamers own the game only 13 gamers have that trophy (including the ever fantastic Jim Sterling who got it first)... I don´t have it yet (still need some chapters to finish the game, so my review will have to wait. I would also like to play MP much more.

Well, there are good chances that some people got that trophy in Vita but it doesn't get syncronized on the PS servers.

But I'm sure that the game have much more gameplay than the 30 hours that most reviewers (even Sterling, that finished the game) made.

Macstorm

Also you have to be setup to sync with that site. It doesn't just do it automatically. That said, our reviewer is on that list.

nampad

edit: ok, Moriarty doesn't seem to bad after comparing to the rest. Still, looking at the trophy list, it is depressing how some people can review the game.

Hanmik

Well, there are good chances that some people got that trophy in Vita but it doesn't get syncronized on the PS servers.

But I'm sure that the game have much more gameplay than the 30 hours that most reviewers (even Sterling, that finished the game) made.

yeah some people might not have synchronized the trophies.. but if you are a PS+ user it updates automatic every night. Even if you are not, every time you click on the trophy section on the vita it synchronizes the trophies.. so almost all Vita players have an updates trophy list..
And since the last Vita update all Vita owners are now online 24/7 unless they disabled that feature, and that means trophies are upladed all the time:

When you are signed in to PlayStation®Network, trophy information is synchronized with the servers automatically at the following times:
•When you tap (Trophies)
•When you tap (Trophies) > [Start] and switch the trophy information that is displayed by tapping (PlayStation®Network) on the trophy information screen
•When a trophy is newly earned
•When you tap (Friends) > [Start] and then tap the trophy information that is displayed on your profile screen

I know I haven´t synchronized mine, but the trophies I got last night are on my profile.

I know this doesn´t mean much, but it´s an indication to how many gamers have gotten a trophy. and not many have the trophies that pop up in the end of Soul Sacrifice.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I'm glad Sony released a Demo for this game this reviews doesn't represent why I have played imo. Polygon as always with their misinformed and subpar reviews for PlayStation games, anyway I'm glad I preordered my copy should be here by next week.

Add me to the list PSN: mik_pad / NA

Rasec

was able to beat cereberus before the main game comes out.
Feels good. xP

Here's my name for the huge list of SS gamers. xD

Rasec - Rasec46 (EU)

JoeFenix

I'm getting the game in the mail today :

cluxdeluxe – Cdeluxe (NA)

Already nearing 40 hrs for the demo and my ingame name is mtn dew.

Holy shit!

LsJ8YIf.jpg

I'm your biggest fan!

Top Bottom