• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

creid

Does anyone know when exactly the demo servers go offline? Are they already off, or do we have until the end of the day? I haven't started the demo yet, and I'd really like to try the online if I can.

OmegaZero

Nooo, the reviews....
I sacrificed my wallet to an unworthy cause. :(

The reviews don't affect me personally, but I only got one code despite pre-ordering two copies. Looks like the friend I got the second copy for is out of luck.

jorgeton

C'mon Grace Chen. This wait is painful.

Took a half day so I can sink my teeth into this. Count me in on starting/joining a Gaf room later tonight. Looking forward to fighting some new baddies.

wilflare

Nooo, the reviews....
I sacrificed my wallet to an unworthy cause. :(

The reviews don't affect me personally, but I only got one code despite pre-ordering two copies. Looks like the friend I got the second copy for is out of luck.

you ordered from Amazon? usually the CSO is quite kind if you explain your case

wilflare

I should not be spamming this around... but anything else you guys feel that the reviewers are potentially missing out?

decided to list some of my thoughts in response to some of the reviews

Some of the big sites are commenting how the game suffers from a lack of in-depth gameplay. Personally, I don't think that's true and here's why

(1) The timing of your attacks matters!
You need to time your attacks (right before the enemy swipes at you) to unlock "Rewards" that would affect the kind of loot you get at the end of the battle. You can get the following "Rewards" when you time your attack properly
Counter Achieved... Many Counters... Counter Madness... etc

(2) The combination of your attacks/spells matters!
There is Elemental Vulnerability in this game which you can choose to chain and exploit
Burn the enemy sufficiently... and it'll collapse in Inferno Hell (set ablazed)
Freeze the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in Frozen Hell (frozen in its tracks)
Jolt the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in a Stasis (paralysis)

but it does not end there... when you attack them with the right element in the aforementioned states... you unlock the Skilful Attack Reward
So jolt the enemy when it is in Frozen Hell and you'll see the ice break apart and cause an amazing amount of damage!

(3) The kind of spells you use matters!
Some reviewers have mentioned it's a button-mashing game. NO! you can't mash them when you have limited casts (you need to renew them if you run out of casts during battle.. and renewals don't come easily)

You can set up a shield to knock a charging enemy. While it's fumbling to get on its feet, steal the chance to get a few hits!
You can set up trees that bear fruits (that give power-ups to you/allies when consumed) or to distract enemies/bosses as they try to consume it!

(4) Where you hit the enemy/boss matters!
Is it really a spammy game where you find the best spells and just fire away? Not necessarily... Other than the elemental vulnerabilities explained earlier, bosses have specific cursed parts (weak points) that you can attack and exploit. If you were to destroy all the cursed points, you'll notice the enemy showing a difference in its movement (staggering? I noticed this for the Cerberus in the demo). So getting spells to hit those specific parts matter!

(5) To save or to sacrifice, your choice matters!
This is probably something that Creator Inafune intended as a focal point of the game. Battles can get challenging and the player is forced to make sacrifices to defeat the bosses. You can choose to engage in the Forbidden Arts (Black Rites) that sacrifice a player attribute (defence/attack/speed/sight/etc) to deal tremendous damage to the enemies or hold them in place, etc.

Beyond that, when your ally falls, you choose whether to save them (at the cost of a portion of your health) or sacrifice them to deal an insane amount of damage to the enemy and lose the ally forever (well at least for the rest of the battle). When you fall, you make the choice whether to call for your allies to save or sacrifice you! The story/single-player mode plays alot into these as your hard-earned (saved) allies may choose to leave you if you were to sacrifice/save defeated bosses that is against their alignment

---

I did take some time to warm up to Soul Sacrifice but that is largely due to its macabre theme that was rather unsettling... (the sacrifice animation still makes me quite uncomfortable) but the gameplay is awesomely fun! looking forward to some really awesome battles with some of you!

george_us

C'mon Grace Chen. This wait is painful.

Took a half day so I can sink my teeth into this. Count me in on starting/joining a Gaf room later tonight. Looking forward to fighting some new baddies.
Reason number #34669 I went with physical. I learned my lesson after the demo fiasco.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just got my copy. I only have New Game available...no continue option. Only played the demo for a bit so it's no real loss, but why is the save not transferring over? I don't have online access where I am right now so if it's a needed online update, never mind.

Drame

uhh, so anyone from EU is able to redeem both the online pass and preorder bonus?
Nope, I have had the game since saturday and still can't redeem them.

I wouldn't be so worried as I'd expect them to become redeemable as the servers go up. My digital pre-order goods have a unlock date of 01/05/13 8:00am. So, tomorrow morning I pressume :p

Just got my copy. I only have New Game available...no continue option. Only played the demo for a bit so it's no real loss, but why is the save not transferring over? I don't have online access where I am right now so if it's a needed online update, never mind.

Hit New Game and then it'll ask to carry your save over.

DR2K

Banned
Yep, they're in three separate packs. First is attack, second are the costumes, third is the voice overs.

Edit: ...pretty sure that the online pass won't be downloadable until the store updates.

The DLCs and the Pass are in my service list, I can go online, but not in my download list or anywhere.

i'm going 40/40 for the black rite unlocks, but as i near 40/60 i'll start leveling my life down little by little. i'm 9/19 right now. it's gonna be a while.

jorgeton

I should not be spamming this around... but anything else you guys feel that the reviewers are potentially missing out?

I think the biggest omission so far is not really talking about the breadth and depth of multiplayer. This game has the potential to build a huge online community around it, like MH, PSO or even Demon's and Dark Souls, and early reviewers miss all that since they play the game before everyone else.

And yes, you can't just spam attacks and expect to win.

Reason number #34669 I went with physical. I learned my lesson after the demo fiasco.

I'm going digital because A: I'm hella lazy, B: I have that $10 PSN credit and C: the pre-order goodies included w/ the download. If it weren't for that, I'd be marching down to gamestop right now.

ttocs

I don't get why people put such stock in reviews. Didn't you play the demo? Did you enjoy it? If you did then don't worry what reviewers say. If you didn't, well, what did you expect?

CrovaxPSO

I was hoping Amazon would use Ontrac to ship since they usually deliver before 10 AM, but they used UPS. Now it's a race between UPS for the game and Amazon for the pre-order code email.

KooPaL

Add me to the list as well as I've been playing the heck out the demo and will be there later tonight.

KooPaL KooPaL- (NA)

wilflare

I don't get why people put such stock in reviews. Didn't you play the demo? Did you enjoy it? If you did then don't worry what reviewers say. If you didn't, well, what did you expect?

in a sense, these reviews can be the deciding factor for someone who does not spend time on forums, etc. some people also give a lot of agency to these reviews (as in they take the word of these reviews) so if the reviews say it is average, it is average for them as well...

and it is just sad that these people miss out when it seems that the reviewers have not really given the game a good go (well seemingly)

DR2K

Banned
Network > Peddler > Claim gift for DLC. So dumb. Online pass is in service list. I can go online though.

i think, and anyone may correct me if i'm wrong, people just want the game to succeed. i certainly don't want this to be a one off. i'd love to see a sequel.

Care to suggest where I should start to prep before we sync up later, once (if?) Grace chen blesses us with the update?

combine your stuff as best you can to maximize the level of your offerings when you jump in. i wouldn't worry to much about things that are hard to create/come by in the demo because they're giving that shit away like it's nothing. mudfiend entrails was a second tier reward for one mission i did, lol.

even if you didn't have the demo stuff you'd still be fine. i owned the first 2 story bosses just with the knowledge we have of elemental damage, stun locks.

DigitalOp

Banned
Honestly, fuck the reviews guys.

If were having fun with the game then what else matters?? I'm eager to play with y'all and build a community around this game.

Sad to say though, ill still be farming spells till my amazon copy ships

Mondriaan

Unfortunately some people will base their decision to buy the system and the game based solely on review scores. Granted, these people would probably serve mostly as sacrifice fodder, but still.

Salaadin

Sony just emailed me a code for Spirits falconfeather DLC but the SEN site is saying its invalid when I enter it. I entered the amazon preorder DLC codes on that site earlier today and they worked fine.
Anyone else having similar issues?

oh god i just skimmed through the trophies and yelled out "how you gonna do that?".

challenge accepted.

which one?

I'm betting it's one of these:
Boil, Torch, and Torment
Inflict 5 ailments on an archfiend.
Light-footed Sorcerer
Killed archfiend in single player mode with 1 Offering.

wilflare

Sony just emailed me a code for Spirits falconfeather DLC but the SEN site is saying its invalid when I enter it. I entered the amazon preorder DLC codes on that site earlier today and they worked fine.
Anyone else having similar issues?

are you Tourista on CAG? :O
hmm is Sony randomly sending this out? haha

pahamrick

Just got a call from my buddy when he went to pick up both our preorders and they had 8, preorders but only got in 4 copies so they were already out. Now he's hitting up 2 other gamestops who are supposed to be holding a copy for him.

Might end up going digital and waiting on GCT afterall.

Salaadin

are you Tourista on CAG? :O
hmm is Sony randomly sending this out? haha
Nope.

I have no idea why they sent this to me.
Its actually an advertisement telling me to buy the game...and giving me an exlcusive DLC code to tempt me, I guess?

But the code isnt working unless it doesnt go live until tonight.

I know the chances that Grace updates at 2:30pm Eastern are between 0% and 0.00001%, but that didn't stop me from signing on and checking. And it won't stop me from doing the same thing in about 10 minutes.

Sometimes I take a step back and look at my behavior surrounding videogames and I feel ill. But then i forget about that and go check to see if Grace Chen has delivered me presents yet or not.

Top Bottom