• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

wilflare

I'm a little confused by the Preorder DLCs..

(1) Japanese Voice-over Pack
(2) 2 (1) DLC Costumers? I only see Dancer
(3) 3 (4) Bonus Offerings, I have four. Spirit's Flamespike, Spirit's Bligstone, Spirit Fulgurwood, Spirit Heart

is that all?

ReaperXL7

ok so does anyone know how to obtain new reignment styles yet? I have been bouncing around doing different quest types (no online yet) is it specific types of quests you have to do, or just play through the story?

Shoyz

(3) 3 (4) Bonus Offerings, I have four. Spirit's Flamespike, Spirit's Bligstone, Spirit Fulgurwood, Spirit Heart

is that all?

Yes, and there's two costumes, one male one female.

Also, it looks like the Japanese wiki didn't show every outfit? I found one I actually like! Nomad.
Edit: ah, right, hoods! Some of these outfits look completely different hoodless.

pantsmith

is that all?

Basically, yes.

Voice overs are the only thing you download. The others are flagged to your account, and you redeem them in game. Costumes are 1 per gender. Spells are the above, minus Spirit heart, which was from the demo.

FlyFaster

woah, woah, woah!!!

WAIT.

I just read some reviews from various sites for this game and from what I can understand this is a Monster Hunter "clone" right? I don't mean that in a bad way. (I'm being serious) I mean to say that are MH and SS are the same genre?

This sounds amazing.

Kenji Infune doing a Monster Hunter style game?! I only wish I would have known sooner.

So, GAF

Would you guys agree? Also. If it is like MH in what ways? Honestly--What things does it do better, what worse? Please take theme, setting, music, ect into account as well game "play" (mechanics, control, ect)

wilflare

Basically, yes.

Voice overs are the only thing you download. The others are flagged to your account, and you redeem them in game. Costumes are 1 per gender. Spells are the above, minus Spirit heart, which was from the demo.

@nerdstick thanks!

I thought I would get two separate costume types.. (so male/female count as two)
can't wait to try out the new spells heh!

woah, woah, woah!!!

WAIT.

I just read some reviews from various sites for this game and from what I can understand this is a Monster Hunter "clone" right? I don't mean that in a bad way. (I'm being serious) I mean to say that are MH and SS are the same genre?

This sounds amazing.

Kenji Infune doing a Monster Hunter style game?! I only wish I would have known sooner.

So, GAF

Would you guys agree? Also. If it is like MH in what ways? Honestly--What things does it do better, what worse? Please take theme, setting, music, ect into account as well game "play" (mechanics, control, ect)

play the demo to find out :p you won't regret

woah, woah, woah!!!

WAIT.

This sounds amazing.

So, GAF

Let me elaborate:

The only similar thing is the playstyle design. Third person camera, slashing bosses with small enemies around.

But the game plays like something else.

It is fast, oh yes. Faster than MH imo
Goes straight to the point. Here's the monster, kill it.
You can sacrifice your partners. In other words, know that guy that is always doing HS uppercut when you're trying to combo in MH? The guy that keeps dying? You can sacrifice him and begone!
Everything is set in a book, so there's no metaquest like in monster hunter. Oh I wanna change this: brb guys I'm going to my house to change my gear. Oops, I need to upgrade my weapon: brb weaponsmith. I disliked how MH took so much time between quests. Everything was a timesink.
Upgrades are more frequent. You're likely to be gradually improving your offerings (the weapons) every mission (or every few missions tops), while in MH you had to do so much sometimes to get a specific part. Here you can also craft by fusing two different offerings.
Combat flexibility. You can be a "heavysword" user if you want. I mean, just set your offerings to be slow and powerful. But you also have the choice to blend ranged, fast and slow melee combat + more stuff.
Grim design. Imagine dark souls/demons souls in terms of character/enemy design.

MH is on a league of it's own. But if I had to compare MH1 from ps2 to this, this would win. This IP can only get better from here.

woah, woah, woah!!!

WAIT.

This sounds amazing.

So, GAF

Would you guys agree? Also. If it is like MH in what ways? Honestly--What things does it do better, what worse? Please take theme, setting, music, ect into account as well game play.

Well, there is basically nothing but fighting, so no running around mining, farming, onsens, etc. Gear up, and go fight. There is a crafting/improvement system and stat systems though.

It's a lot of fun so far. Quite a bit to do in game, mission wise.

FlyFaster

play the demo to find out :p you won't regret

That's the thing. No Vita.

I want to hear some actual players/owners thoughts of the games. You don't expect me to take professional reviews at face value do you? What kind of gamer do you think I am? :)

But, I did buy a Wii U just for MH3U... and I've been looking for handheld...

Well, there is basically nothing but fighting, so no running around mining, farming, onsens, etc. Gear up, and go fight. There is a crafting/improvement system and stat systems though.

It's a lot of fun so far. Quite a bit to do in game, mission wise.

I like the sound of that so far. "Nothing but fighting" one of the reasons I love MH. Customize Armor and all that? They look cool?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well, whaddya know? I got home tonight and checker my mailbox, and SS was waiting for me. I wasn't supposed to get it until tomorrow. Nice, unexpected surprise. Will play now for a bit before bed!

The Black Rite benefit (e.g., flame beast attack thing) is used for the current battle, but the price you had to pay (e.g., defence by half) stays with you forever. Well, forever except Lacrima can undo it.

Ah ok, I thought you might get a certain power throughout the game with a consequence.

I used the Black Rite that lowered my Defense by 50% - is this a permanent debilitation or something temporary that goes away after the battle?

Is there are way to see what my stats are outside of combat?

I want to hear some actual players/owners thoughts of the games. You don't expect me to take professional reviews at face value do you? What kind of gamer do you think I am? :)

I like the sound of that so far. "Nothing but fighting" one of the reasons I love MH. Customize Armor and all that? They look cool?

No armors. Nothing. You can cast elemental armors through offerings. I guess their idea of looks is not to handicap the player to a specific when they want to look like something else. Still, it's something that I can see happening in Soul Sacrifice 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDFc5jrX3E

This guy did some videos of the JP version. I'd say those confirmed my preorder, so they are worth looking. I guess they contain monster, skills, etc spoilers. But if you're gonna miss on it because you can't test the demo, at least take a look at that.

Shoyz

I used the Black Rite that lowered my Defense by 50% - is this a permanent debilitation or something temporary that goes away after the battle?

Is there are way to see what my stats are outside of combat?

You fix it for a cap of 100 Lacrima after battle. For stats, just the stats and upgrades on your spells, and your sigil upgrades.

I think it's either 3 saves, or you can only see more slots once those are taken up.

Oof!

FlyFaster

No armors. Nothing. You can cast elemental armors through offerings. I guess their idea of looks is not to handicap the player to a specific when they want to look like something else. Still, it's something that I can see happening in Soul Sacrifice 2.

Can you customize your character at all? I'm gonna hop on youtube but I'll be back to read your reply.

wilflare

think most guys are still playing so it'll take awhile for them to reply...

I'll probably sound like a broken radio now.. but I posted a short "response" to the supposed "lack of depth" mentioned in some reviews... hope this helps paint a better picture of SS for you :)

decided to list some of my thoughts in response to some of the reviews

Some of the big sites are commenting how the game suffers from a lack of in-depth gameplay. Personally, I don't think that's true and here's why

(1) The timing of your attacks matters!
You need to time your attacks (right before the enemy swipes at you) to unlock "Rewards" that would affect the kind of loot you get at the end of the battle. You can get the following "Rewards" when you time your attack properly
Counter Achieved... Many Counters... Counter Madness... etc

(2) The combination of your attacks/spells matters!
There is Elemental Vulnerability in this game which you can choose to chain and exploit
Burn the enemy sufficiently... and it'll collapse in Inferno Hell (set ablazed)
Freeze the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in Frozen Hell (frozen in its tracks)
Jolt the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in a Stasis (paralysis)

but it does not end there... when you attack them with the right element in the aforementioned states... you unlock the Skilful Attack Reward
So jolt the enemy when it is in Frozen Hell and you'll see the ice break apart and cause an amazing amount of damage!

(3) The kind of spells you use matters!
Some reviewers have mentioned it's a button-mashing game. NO! you can't mash them when you have limited casts (you need to renew them if you run out of casts during battle.. and renewals don't come easily)

You can set up a shield to knock a charging enemy. While it's fumbling to get on its feet, steal the chance to get a few hits!
You can set up trees that bear fruits (that give power-ups to you/allies when consumed) or to distract enemies/bosses as they try to consume it!

(4) Where you hit the enemy/boss matters!
Is it really a spammy game where you find the best spells and just fire away? Not necessarily... Other than the elemental vulnerabilities explained earlier, bosses have specific cursed parts (weak points) that you can attack and exploit. If you were to destroy all the cursed points, you'll notice the enemy showing a difference in its movement (staggering? I noticed this for the Cerberus in the demo). So getting spells to hit those specific parts matter!

(5) To save or to sacrifice, your choice matters!
This is probably something that Creator Inafune intended as a focal point of the game. Battles can get challenging and the player is forced to make sacrifices to defeat the bosses. You can choose to engage in the Forbidden Arts (Black Rites) that sacrifice a player attribute (defence/attack/speed/sight/etc) to deal tremendous damage to the enemies or hold them in place, etc.

Beyond that, when your ally falls, you choose whether to save them (at the cost of a portion of your health) or sacrifice them to deal an insane amount of damage to the enemy and lose the ally forever (well at least for the rest of the battle). When you fall, you make the choice whether to call for your allies to save or sacrifice you! The story/single-player mode plays alot into these as your hard-earned (saved) allies may choose to leave you if you were to sacrifice/save defeated bosses that is against their alignment

---

I did take some time to warm up to Soul Sacrifice but that is largely due to its macabre theme that was rather unsettling... (the sacrifice animation still makes me quite uncomfortable) but the gameplay is awesomely fun! looking forward to some really awesome battles with some of you!

to add on, the music is awesome. the theme and setting are rather mature (dark.. for some) the thought of having to sacrifice fallen foes/allies still unnerves me (who wants to sacrifice a cute cat :( or a fallen ally that has been fighting alongside you... and hearing them scream while the sacrifice goes on can get you initially)

hope this helps :)

wilflare

Can you customize your character at all? I'm gonna hop on youtube but I'll be back to read your reply.

you can also define different sets of Gears (offerings, sigils) that you can just load in and load out to facilitate online games (or even the single player quests so you don't have so keep switching your offerings for every single battle just to ensure you got the weakness of the boss covered)

You have sets of clothes, and each set has different coloring patterns

http://w.livedoor.jp/sousac/d/%CD%C6%BB%D1

That's all the costumes. They are not like in MH, where you can change each part individually (except the hood, which you can turn on-off). Again, that's something I can see happening in a sequel.

Also that guy has videos that may help you decide a purchase. They contain gameplay spoilers of course (as in offerings, black rites, monsters...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDFc5jrX3E

FlyFaster

Let me elaborate:

The only similar thing is the playstyle design. Third person camera, slashing bosses with small enemies around.

You can sacrifice your partners. In other words, know that guy that is always doing HS uppercut when you're trying to combo in MH? The guy that keeps dying? You can sacrifice him and begone!
Everything is set in a book, so there's no metaquest like in monster hunter. Oh I wanna change this: brb guys I'm going to my house to change my gear. Oops, I need to upgrade my weapon: brb weaponsmith. I disliked how MH took so much time between quests. Everything was a timesink.
Upgrades are more frequent. You're likely to be gradually improving your offerings (the weapons) every mission (or every few missions tops), while in MH you had to do so much sometimes to get a specific part. Here you can also craft by fusing two different offerings.
Combat flexibility. You can be a "heavysword" user if you want. I mean, just set your offerings to be slow and powerful. But you also have the choice to blend ranged, fast and slow melee combat + more stuff.
Grim design. Imagine dark souls/demons souls in terms of character/enemy design.

MH is on a league of it's own. But if I had to compare MH1 from ps2 to this, this would win. This IP can only get better from here.

This sounds wonderfully amazing to me. It sounds like you can see Kenjis arcade style influence in the design, faster combat, more to the point, less timesinks.

Dark setting could be a nice change of pace from MHs world too (not that it's bad, I love it).

^Thanks for the help - still more questions:
  • What are these shards I'm picking up in battle? What do they do?
  • When I absorb a renew point, how many and which spells are renewed? All of them? Random?

wilflare

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is a Sigil? I've collected probably 20 of each light/dark shard but I don't know anything about Sigils.

you can use Sigils to augment your arm in the form of various bonuses.
eg.
Attack + 10%
Healing Magic + 10%
etc

All Sigils have a base effect... more effects are unlocked based on the level and alignment of your arm (Divine or Devil and at what level)

You access them via the Right Arm menu :)

and on renew points, the amount you get back also depends on your alignment and level of your arm (Devil Arms supposedly get more casts back) :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is a Sigil? I've collected probably 20 of each light/dark shard but I don't know anything about Sigils.
They're basically upgrades! When reading Librom, go into Portraiture and then choose Right Arm. From there, choose "Carve sigil" and you'll be able to equip certain sigils in certain spots for good upgrades!

Some have secondary abilities that rely on your arm being a Divine or Devil Arm I or II, so pay attention to that as well!

check your character profile, with the offerings, character customize (BTW flyfaster, you can customize your character anytime. Going from male to female and all that. No ties). You'll see the arm there. You touch on it and you can put sigils as if they were some sort of materia from ff7 to get effects.

Man, you guys are awesome. I went from frustrated to really digging this game :)

Ok, I think have a grasp on it - can't wait to fight some battles with you all.

Well, one more question - is it to my detriment to only sacrifice things? So far I'm Lv.1 Light and Lv.10 Dark.

wilflare

not sure where you are at. but if you are willing to import you can consider the SS bundle :)

944649_514105305293037_1574793711_n.jpg

Singapore Dollars $439 (USD338) for

PS Vita Soul Sacrifice Premium Edition Console Bundle includes :
- Soul Sacrifice design wifi console (cosmic red)
- Soul Sacrifice Game with premium
- Soul Sacrifice design pouch
- Soul Sacrifice design cleaning cloth
- Soul Sacrifice designhand strap
- In-ear headset (cosmic red)
- 16GB memory card

but that's before shipping and you'll end up with a R3 (Asia/Singapore) version of the game, still in English but not sure if the multiplayer is region-locked
Vita itself is region-free but this is worth considering :D

EDIT

Man, you guys are awesome. I went from frustrated to really digging this game :)

Well, one more question - is it to my detriment to only sacrifice things? So far I'm Lv.1 Light and Lv.10 Dark.

this really depends on your gameplay style

going Light increases your defense
going Dark increases your offense

If you go full Dark, you may end up being what is termed as a Glass Cannon (it is mentioned by those who played the Japanese version that such a build mean that later bosses can easily kill you in one or two hits)
If you go full Light, you can be quite a tank but battles may end up being super duper long
which I guess playing MP is where the fun is at as you can get the best of both worlds :)

you do need to be at 40/40 to unlock all the Forbidden Arts/Black Rites.. so you may want to balance both and then go full Dark if you wish :)

You can use Lacrima to overwrite Levels so you can still change between the levels :) the option to overwrite is in the Right Arm menu

Shinypogs

Whelp I'm officially attached to my Ai partners now even if they aren't always the best for the job/ one of them dies so damn easy. Do partners power scale aka saving higher tier bosses offer stronger people. I don't want to have to abandon my buddies.

Is that it, I thought there were 60 raiments in all?

colors are counted as a raiment. As lame as it sounds, I prefer they are focussing on more dlc monsters and all that. Cosmetic stuff can wait. Mh1 barely had variety. Everyone at HR20 had the same armor/weapon lol.

Apparently it's on your best interest to reach 40/40 at some point, because it gives you something (a sigil or something, I don't know). But it all depends on what you're looking for.

The light path is a life/defense conservative style at the expense of attack damage. Neutral means both are at the same number, giving you a neutral arm, which seems to be for those who want to be flexible without handicapping any playstyle. What you're aiming to is a pure attack build. Dealing lots of damage at the expense of getting hurt a lot if they get you.

There's tiers in each side (divine/dark arm). I to IV in the demo. I don't know if there's more in the full game.

<3

Nah, but be aware that you're going to be VERY weak. Light side increases your health and defense while Dark increases magic and damage. So you'll be a tank, but a tank made out of paper. So make sure you're good at dodging~! Once you hit a combined level 20 between the two you can spend Lacrima to lower the level of one and rebalance if you'd like.

Shinta

Banned
I'm thinking of buying this game digitally right about now and have a few questions.

Do I get the pre-order DLC stuff if I buy it digitally?

Should I play the demo first to unlock anything in the game?

<3

Nah, but be aware that you're going to be VERY weak. Light side increases your health and defense while Dark increases magic and damage. So you'll be a tank, but a tank made out of paper.

I believe the term most commonly used is "glass cannon."

micah

This stinks. I contacted Amazon about the pre-order email cause I hadn't gotten it yet and "Juanita" tells me she can't even find anything about a preorder bonus for Soul Sacrifice and that she will have their "Promotions Team" contact me in 48 hours.

Something tells me by then the codes will be gone and I'll be out of luck. Lame.

wilflare

I'm thinking of buying this game digitally right about now and have a few questions.

(1) Digital Purchase - if you buy it from the US PSN Store now, you will still get the Japanese Voice-Over Pack and the Pre-order DLC stuff :) Limited time only so get it :p

(2) Demo - Playing the demo and transfering your save over will net you the Spirit's Heart which seems like an awesome Golem :)

This stinks. I contacted Amazon about the pre-order email cause I hadn't gotten it yet and "Juanita" tells me she can't even find anything about a preorder bonus for Soul Sacrifice and that she will have their "Promotions Team" contact me in 48 hours.

Something tells me by then the codes will be gone and I'll be out of luck. Lame.

give Amazon a call. they are very good on getting things that you should have gotten so don't worry :)

Yeah, you get the pre-order stuff.

And if you play the demo first, your progress carries over and you get an exclusive spell for importing.

Btu I like paper tank ;_;

Basically, yes.

thanks for this clarification!

I was confused as hell when I downloaded it yesterday

Let me elaborate:

Well put sir! Well put...

Top Bottom