• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

kiyomi

so is this game good for grinding and general time killing? I like grind heavy games.

I think so. You're gonna need to grind some quests over for a couple of reasons, one being that you probably won't get the best rewards the first time you play through a quest, the other that you'll want to get as many spells as you can in order to boost them and fuse them to make new spells. As for time killing - once you're in the game, you can play through quests very very quickly if you only have a limited amount of time. Seems like a good 'portable' game so far from what I can see.

OmegaZero said:
IIRC you can find a Centaur in the first Avalon Pact: Innocence. Sacrifice the Harpy in the Snowfield Glutton mission and then beat the pact that you unlock from doing that to reveal the Centaur mission.

Yup. I'm only just up to this point myself. I actually found the Centaur a real annoyance - I ended up dying a couple of times and had to get my ally to save me. He was moving around the map a ton and even though I had what I thought was a decent set up, I had quite a bit of trouble with him.

loving it. Have fought numerous new bosses such as a chariot centaur and a combination of two bosses. Game is real good time killer and addictive. Getting the awesome Golem powers is so satisfying!!!!!

Awesome.
Now no boss will be safe from me achieving 40/40!

Ya, it should prompt you twice, one after the other. First asking about rewriting the book, second about saving your progress.

Huh, yes you lose the ally if you rewrite the book.
Edit: i.e. the ally will be dead.

Yes, IF you rewrite the book. Replaying a mission doesn't automatically rewrite the book so I'm not sure why you're talking about rewriting. He was just talking about replaying a mission.

Stupid question time:

What exactly does your Recovery stat do?

I can't beat the
Harpy in the first chapter of the last set of single player chapters.
Any tips?

Pick up the other sorcerer, spawn a golem as she's changing, then spam fire til she's in infernal hell then hit her with ice, she'll drop. Summon a golem on her side so it beats her wings and stand back and throw fire projectiles. Go for infernal hell again. If you run short on spells, use sanguine cannon.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone else not using allies at all in Avalon pacts? Magusar's stone shield obsession turned me off the whole idea.

Hate him.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone else not using allies at all in Avalon pacts? Magusar's stone shield obsession turned me off the whole idea.

Hate him.

Well, they certainly play very differently. I like Bren for having range spells and healing though.

CrovaxPSO

Hate him.

It seems like the higher you go in the pacts, they become mostly useful for sacrificing. I haven't been keeping up affinities on most of them though.

Stupid question time:

What exactly does your Recovery stat do?

Pick up the other sorcerer, spawn a golem as she's changing, then spam fire til she's in infernal hell then hit her with ice, she'll drop. Summon a golem on her side so it beats her wings and stand back and throw fire projectiles. Go for infernal hell again. If you run short on spells, use sanguine cannon.

even more amazing: leave some of those explosive elemental plants (fire if possible). When she does the sucker attack, she'll eat it, incinerate herself and collapse.

wilflare

any strategies for Cerberus?
the only time I beat it was in the demo on Multiplayer...

am like 24/13... or should I do some grind

Grinchy

Banned

Hate him.

I haven't been but I'm only on the 4-Star ones right now anyway. Maybe later on the sacrifices are needed. The shitty AI just annoys me too much to use them.

ReaperXL7

I think you can open up a centaur quest if you sacrifice the harpy in the first set of Avalon quests.

IIRC you can find a Centaur in the first Avalon Pact: Innocence. Sacrifice the Harpy in the Snowfield Glutton mission and then beat the pact that you unlock from doing that to reveal the Centaur mission.

Thanks allot :)

So apprently there are more raiments than the japanese site has listed because I am finding various others that are not listed there. I found one called the Physichian which has a victorian birdman style mask, and a bulky looking one called the knight. I dont know if these have other colors as obtaining the different colors seems luck of the draw more than anything else.

ZeroAKA

So apprently there are more raiments than the japanese site has listed because I am finding various others that are not listed there. I found one called the Physichian which has a victorian birdman style mask, and a bulky looking one called the knight. I dont know if these have other colors as obtaining the different colors seems luck of the draw more than anything else.
I don't have those costumes yet, but I think they are listed on the Japanese site.
dc15fdab4c5b8a15.jpg

8fd75d618db616dd.jpg
Not sure if that one is actually the knight based just on your description though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Affinities grant them more abilities right? Maybe I'll give them a shot once I hit a wall and finish the Magusar chapters.

ReaperXL7

I don't have those costumes yet, but I think they are listed on the Japanese site.

Not sure which one is the knight based on your description though.

Edit: Maybe this?

I guess i may be looking at a different site then, the Knight raiment is a large suit with a bunch of knight helmets attached to the back, with large metal pauldrens. I actually probably would not mind that one if you could adjust the characters build, because as it stands it just looks to big on the character.

edit* yep thats the one.

ZeroAKA

I guess i may be looking at a different site then, the Knight raiment is a large suit with a bunch of knight helmets attached to the back, with large metal pauldrens. I actually probably would not mind that one if you could adjust the characters build, because as it stands it just looks to big on the character.
I have this linked in the OP: http://w.livedoor.jp/sousac/d/%CD%C6%BB%D1

The site has a ton of information and pictures.

Kusagari

Is it just me or are dark arm allies practically worthless?

I have a level 4 but he seems to get hurt far more than any of my others and if I'm dying he always rushes to sacrifice me which screws everything up.

CrovaxPSO

Is it just me or are dark arm allies practically worthless?

I have a level 4 but he seems to get hurt far more than any of my others and if I'm dying he always rushes to sacrifice me which screws everything up.

The problem I have with a lot of the dark arms is that they use spells that knock you down. Worse is that early on when it's one of the only spells they have, they use it almost constantly.

ReaperXL7

The Knight raiment was one of the first ones I unlocked. The way you unlock costumes is really cryptic.

Yeah so far thats really one of my only complaints so far because I like customization as much as I do.

I have gotten some costumes way earlier than others, and some much later, then opposite is true for other people getting some earlier, or later than me.

I think it might be tied to specific pacts, and or Magic/Life levels but I have not able to figure it out yet.

Copenap

Yes, IF you rewrite the book. Replaying a mission doesn't automatically rewrite the book so I'm not sure why you're talking about rewriting. He was just talking about replaying a mission.
No that was and still is not clear from the wording but a generalized answer is definitely more harmful than helpful.

FUCK. THOSE. SPIDERS.

I use the Tri Root Fire spell which they're weak to, followed by the Tri Root Ice spell after they've been caught in infernal hell. If it's frozen and still alive I go with the Tri root lighting. Those spells are awesome for the grunt missions. Kill everything without ever having to touch them and get damaged. Too bad I haven't found a stone version yet (if it exists at all).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Overall thoughts of the game:

I haven't liked a pure Vita release this much since Gravity Rush. There's so many layers to this game that are FANTASTICALLY well done; in so many ways, it's exactly what I like from Japanese developers, all rolled into one unique package that gets rid of a lot of the tedium I've grown to feel from the other "hunter" games.

Repetitive it is not; It is a game that seeks to do a few things exceptionally well, and then flesh them out. We actually need much more of this focus in modern gaming, and I shake my head in disgust at all the reviewers who wish more fluff and ultimately useless features were crammed in, just for the sake of bulletpoints that would ultimately be forgotten after all is said and done.

Incredibly well done presentation all around, too; To get chaos of this scale and scope, running smoothly, without performance drops, horrible depth of field failures, UE3 style procedural loading, or worlds of unfortunatel glitches, is a triumph. No crazy enemey-de-synchs online either.

In so many ways, this is gaming in it's truest/traditional form;
  • You feel powerful even when doing the most mundane things!
  • Even those mundane things are well thought out, and low in frustration.
  • The "same" skills have unique looks between elements and levels.
  • Skills factors heavily into triumph or failure, and leveling and dedication are rewarded, but not so much that the game would be totally un-fun to play for a newbie, with higher level
    players, in the future.
  • It uses the Vita features very well; Treating touch more like "just another button" rather than a "one more checkbox!" gimmick. "Near" functionality is actually nice too.
  • It handles vile, grotesque imagery very maturely; It might have some OTT violence, but
    it's not immature with it, or it's writing and dialog. It's so nice to play an "M" game, without the "swears for the sake of grit and adulthood" facade.

This game sacrificed superficial variety, for meaningful refinement. THANK YOU, Inafune / Comcept!

Hate him.

A nice thing about them is that they WILL spam certain skills; so you have to use this to your advantage.

One's who get heal blooms will spam it when people are hurting, allowing you to free up healing spots.

Picking sorcerrors that mix with your spells / the enemies weaknesses helps get enemies into elemental hells easier.

The only summoner I directly dislike so far is Carnatux. His desire to stone-roll into everything makes in-fighting less-effective, as he constantly likes to knock you over...

pantsmith

I didn't see an answer so I'll ask again:

Anyone bump into an "Anguished"? I have no idea where they are, and I need their souls to buff up my arm.

wilflare

dual wyverns...yeah whatever. I beat em, but I hate how it went down. unsatisfying is the word I would use.

I know that feel

alright SP tips for Cerberus please!
where isn't there a Stone-based spell for Roots... It's my fav type of spell by far...

hmm I wonder if the trophies are bugged... since we have to achieve Legendary 50 times to unlock.. or is it Legendary and above?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Carnatux would probably be a fantastic Ally for someone who wishes to focus on range attacks...

I was thinking this too, I guess he could free up the enemy lure / golem spot for another range spell, perhaps...

2 partners in general seem to be distracting enough to let one back up and fight at range, though, regardless of who they are.

Top Bottom