• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The thing is when you know the game's basic concepts and all, picking up a new character isn't that hard. Some time with a movelist, look up some combos, check youtube for a sense of how that character flows, that's a weekend. Sure you might know every match up (this is not important at low to mid level though) with that character etc, but you should be able to generate a playable character in the broad strokes at least.

Retaining it and sharpening your specific match up knowledge is where the weeks of practice come in.

That said, I do tend to switch out to other characters if I'm killing with my main. The downside (to the other player) is they're likely to be dealing with 90% more throws.

Skilletor

The thing is when you know the game's basic concepts and all, picking up a new character isn't that hard. Some time with a movelist, look up some combos, check youtube for a sense of how that character flows, that's a weekend. Sure you might know every match up (this is not important at low to mid level though) with that character etc, but you should be able to generate a playable character in the broad strokes at least.

Retaining it and sharpening your specific match up knowledge is where the weeks of practice come in.

That said, I do tend to switch out to other characters if I'm killing with my main. The downside (to the other player) is they're likely to be dealing with 90% more throws.

I'm practicing to go to win tourneys. I really don't care if my opponent is getting steamrolled. If they're getting beat that bad, I just make sure I'm not missing combos. If that's not my opponent's mindset, well, it's online. Go find somebody else to play.

If I lost to someone really badly, I'd feel insulted if they switched characters. I've been known to ask a person to continue to pick the same character that beat me. But of course, I want to get better...so there's that. Even when playing someone not on my level, I'm trying to learn if I can step moves certain moves, specific punishment situations, or JG timings.

I play one character and there's always things to learn, test, and practice.

And I'm not a tournament player.

Skilletor

If I lost to someone really badly, I'd feel insulted if they switched characters. I've been known to ask a person to continue to pick the same character that beat me. But of course, I want to get better...so there's that. Even when playing someone not on my level, I'm trying to learn if I can step moves certain moves, specific punishment situations, or JG timings.

I play one character and there's always things to learn, test, and practice.

And I'm not a tournament player.

This is me.

If somebody switches a character after owning me really bad, it's like they're saying I'm not worth it.

And srsly, Thursday. As soon as I get off of work until late. Practice!

I don't care that you're getting stomped. I play characters I want to play because I want to play them. If you're not learning, that's not my fault. I'm not going to change what I like doing just because you're not good enough to adapt.

My 2 cents.
This. I got wreck playing my Asto vs a Mitsu on Gaf(2-7)And I've learned form it, and still am. I want mofo's to come at me the hardest, fuck that soft shit. I want to learn this game badly. No need to hold back. I hate when they switch up on me(Change of characters). I don't do that in VF or any fighter I am good at....Truth.....

This. I got wreck playing my Asto vs a Mitsu on Gaf(2-7)And I've learned form it, and still am. I want mofo's to come at me the hardest, fuck that soft shit. I want to learn this game badly. No need to hold back. I hate when they switch up on me(Change of characters). I don't do that in VF or any fighter I am good at....Truth.....
Yeah, this was me. :D And even after losing only 2, I reviewed the losses and hit the lab up to find counters.

Skillz, I'll be down on Thursday. What time do you think you'll be on?

Vodh

Wow, that's taking it a bit too far IMHO. If they switch char and still own you, then shut up, let them have the fun (because some people actually enjoy the increased challenge that comes from not playing with their main if the skill gap between players is too big, it's not just all about the worse player >.>) and learn from the new ownage as you would from getting owned by their main. And if you're *not* getting owned, then smash their teeth inwards and make them pick that main again!

Note, this applies to casual games played for fun, not actual hardcore practice with a partner, where the main goal is to learn and improve in a matchup played at the highest possible level you can find around. Just play what you want and let your oponent play what they want - ofc nothing wrong with asking them if they would like to humor you, but don't act as if it was their job to humor you.

Skilletor

Yeah, this was me. :D And even after losing only 2, I reviewed the losses and hit the lab up to find counters.

About 7:30-8:00 your time. I'm in Colorado, mountain time. I plan on using Natsu and Hilde. :)

I like having a ranged character for matchup purposes.

Thanks for the matches once again. I learn to use my range a little better. And when to fuzzy at the right time. In VF, fuzzy makes sense at -6 frames. Your Defense is on point, good stuff. My fault if you saw the same moves over and over, still trying to get comfy with him. Finally figure how to handle Mitsu's 4B at times. Move is so good. I'll be on today as well. Need to keep working on my D. I react too slow on lows. Is not an online thing, is also an offline thing as well.

Alx

My new main is definitely Viola, she's a lot of fun and can take human players off-guard with funny combinations. I'm still bad and lose most of my matches online, but at least it's entertaining. :)
Any advice on what to do when an opponent is stuck defending in her "black hole attach" (Critical Edge) ? It looks like a good opportunity to do something elaborate, but I couldn't find better than her slow unblockable attack ("bb A+B", or "44 A+B" I think, not sure about conventions...). I tried throws at first, but they get escaped most of the time.

Guesong

If that's not my opponent's mindset, well, it's online. Go find somebody else to play.

Or go do ranked matches yourself if you don't care about the opponent.

I thought the whole purpose of GAF Chat Rooms was to have a friendly community for everyone.

Seeing what you guys think about it though, guess I'll just stay away from those.

Skilletor

I thought the whole purpose of GAF Chat Rooms was to have a friendly community for everyone.

Seeing what you guys think about it though, guess I'll just stay away from those.

I've never once been in a GAF Chat Room. :p I'd also like to think I'm pretty friendly and willing to help people out and answer questions. I just have no tolerance for sandbagging. I'm always going to be playing to learn, win or lose.

It's my opinion, don't apply it to everybody.

I'm not online if I'm worried about that.

I'm online for matchup experience. SC's online at 4-5 bars is good enough that losses are my fault and characters are used similarly to how they are used offline. My biggest worry about 3D fighters is going to a tournament and losing because I've never seen something. Horrible feeling.

The quality of competition in ranked is the worst, actually. Add to that you don't get to rematch, you can get gimmicked out randomly and never have a chance to adapt.

I don't go into rooms that say Beginners (or Casuals, although these are casual matches to me). I'd recommend you stay away from All Welcome or Serious Business rooms.

Probably a good idea.

If you don't want to play against *moderately* skilled players the onus is on you, not us.

Guesong

If you don't want to play against *moderately* skilled players the onus is on you, not us.

I want to have fun with GAF. I want to learn with GAF.

But all I'm hearing is that the only way to do that is to get continually buttraped until I either lash out at my assailant or that I learn to like it.

Is there really no other way, no middle ground here?

I would be totally in for that.

I started one.

For all those interested in a Scrub SC5 GAF Chat Room (PS3), add Dreath_7 to your friend list, I'll add y'all once I get back home.

But all I'm hearing is that the only way to do that is to get continually buttraped until I either lash out at my assailant or that I learn to like it.

I started one.

For all those interested in a Scrub SC5 GAF Chat Room (PS3), add Dreath_7 to your friend list, I'll add y'all once I get back home.

Good idea. I've been spending more time playing dress up in Creation than I have been actually getting better at the game, so I'm down for a average player room. I'll add you next time I'm on.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

I started one.

Did you not learn in HoN or DOTA that getting buttraped teaches you how to play?

GrayFoxPL

I managed to get rid of network error by lowering MTU. Still get "unable to find opponent" and disconnects mid match, but at least shit started to work.

Still something's bugging me, maybe I'm crazy but I feel more lag. Could lowering MTU cause it?

Must test it out.

scosher

I started one.

There's a bunch of secondary characters that I suck at that I'd like to practice with, so I'll add you too. I tend to stick with my best character when playing with strangers online or on ranked, so a more casual lobby where I can practice with characters I'm terrible at with other GAFers is more than welcome. I usually only get that chance when doing offline versus with RL friends.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
We've got some big SC5 majors coming up in a few days... Be sure to go (or more likely tune in and stream monster :p) for some high level play:

While Cannes won't have a huge amount of international representation this time (think there will be a few European teams and people from Japan and Singapore though), France is super strong at Calibur so there's gonna be a lotta good stuff to watch regardless.

Winter Brawl is the first major in the US featuring SC5, and Bandai-Namco even threw in a $1000 pot bonus for the winner. There are usually multiple streams for games at these events, so keep an eye on http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun and http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky specifically.

Urgh. I just played almost 20 matches with Skilletor before I realized my wired connection to the router was unplugged and I was playing wirelessly. I kept getting hit by bombs that I usually jump and was missing combos left and right because the timings were off. He beat me 12-7 and I'm sure it affected him too, so I don't know how much of a difference it would have made. Anyways, I jump up to run and reconnect the wired connect and get disconnected from XBL.

I didn't rage quit, bro!

Good games either way, Skillz. I wanna get that matchup again soon (on my wired connection :p).

Skilletor

Urgh. I just played almost 20 matches with Skilletor before I realized my wired connection to the router was unplugged and I was playing wirelessly. I kept getting hit by bombs that I usually jump and was missing combos left and right because the timings were off. He beat me 12-7 and I'm sure it affected him too, so I don't know how much of a difference it would have made. Anyways, I jump up to run and reconnect the wired connect and get disconnected from XBL.

I didn't rage quit, bro!

Good games either way, Skillz. I wanna get that matchup again soon (on my wired connection :p).

When you got on a roll, I was so scared, lol. gggggg, fuck. Mitsu is scary.

Definitely good games. Your defense is hella solid. We can play again tomorrow. :)

Kurod

Banned
Any other Hilde players that might know the trick to getting B+K to stick after a c2B launcher? Seems like it either has really really strict timing or it's just random. Sometimes when I do pull it off it looks like it shouldn't even hit. I think I'm too slow then 'bam' I see them stuck on the top of my pole.

jmdajr

Finally bought Soul Calibur IV after renting V. One thing is for sure, the jump in visual quality is huge. Really have to give them credit for that. Same goes for character creation. Part 4 it seems I can only change what I'm wearing and not body type and all that.

All that said I think part IV is still better for single player. Tower of Souls isn't bad at all, pretty fun in my opinion. Plus, I feel I am much better at this game. Well maybe not better, but that I stand a chance. True maybe the game is slower, but I just kept getting my ass handed to me on 5. Once I get hit it's like I have no chance of escaping combo hell.

Anyhow just my thoughts.

Roto13

Finally bought Soul Calibur IV after renting V. One thing is for sure, the jump in visual quality is huge. Really have to give them credit for that. Same goes for character creation. Part 4 it seems I can only change what I'm wearing and not body type and all that.

All that said I think part IV is still better for single player. Tower of Souls isn't bad at all, pretty fun in my opinion. Plus, I feel I am much better at this game. Well maybe not better, but that I stand a chance. True maybe the game is slower, but I just kept getting my ass handed to me on 5. Once I get hit it's like I have no chance of escaping combo hell.

Anyhow just my thoughts.

Even though IV has way more single player content, I'd rather just play arcade mode and Quick Battle mode in V. It's just a better game at its core.

frequency

Anyhow just my thoughts.

I like 4 better than 5.
Like... pretty much every aspect.
The fighting felt better to me. 5 just feels like there's a bit too much Capcom in it.

Except the CaS I guess. 5 just has more stuff. But I think there's less equipment clipping through your character in 4. I think they had more options to customize the existing outfits for 2P versions of your character - not just changing colours. But I forget... it's been a while.

Online in 5 is better, but that was never a core focus for me so... eh.

For me, IV is rubbish compared to V in every way other than the missing characters, and I really liked IV. I seriously don't think I'll ever play IV again for any reason.

After practicing both for what seems like forever in training mode I finally got JF Twister on aPat, and jAga on Sieg to where I can do them semi-consistently the other day. My brother also got the JF Twister timing (he got it first and showed me actually), which is especially good for him since he mains aPat.

Roto13

For me, IV is rubbish compared to V in every way other than the missing characters, and I really liked IV. I seriously don't think I'll ever play IV again for any reason.

I feel the same way. I actually had a lot of fun with IV and I didn't think it was a bad game in most ways. But SC V is just so much better. The only reason I can see myself going back to IV is if I want to play a fighting game with someone who needs to take things a little slower. :p

kiryogi

Banned
Its when I get home man! And I haven't played since Monday. . . Which was mainly Hilde/Pyrrha. Man, Pyrrha is sooo wrong lawlz.

Top Bottom