• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Bungie’s Marathon Appears To Be Targeting $40 Launch Price

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

According to several sources familiar with the project, Bungie appears to be targeting a $40 price tag for Marathon, opting for a pay-to-play premium model rather than following the free-to-play model seen in many modern shooters.
The Game Post understands that it’s likely that discussions between Bungie and Sony have taken place around Marathon’s pricing strategy after the disastrous launch of Sony’s latest live-service game Concord, which also launched at $40 but was shut down just two weeks later.

However, sources confirm that a $40 price point was definitely in the cards.
However, multiple sources have confirmed to The Game Post that Marathon is not “hero-focused” which is what many seem to believe. The “heroes” in Marathon are classes, each with its own set of abilities (along with a “special” ability), and very different playstyle compared to others.
The core gameplay structure is pretty similar to games like Escape from Tarkov but with a “Bungie twist,” according to one source. Currently, two maps are in a playable state: one set on the planet in an abandoned colony, and the other aboard the Marathon ship. It’s unclear, however, if these will be the only maps at launch or if Bungie plans to include more.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Canadian Lol GIF
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Very interested in seeing the product.
A $40 price tag for an online multiplayer shooter.
They do know you need something great to break into this arena, right? Makes me excited to see what gives them this $40 confidence.

Holammer

Let's see of Bungie's developer pedigree helps them get above 10k players concurrent on Steam.
I'm setting the bar super low here. Gotta be supportive.

yurinka

TLDR: As was publicly announced Bungie is making an extraction shooter, so obviously will have stuff from Escape from Tarkov but with the Bungie style.

The 2 most recent Sony GaaS shooter were priced at $40 so we guess they'll price it at that point too, which is also the price of Escape from Tarkov and other top performing games like Sony's fastest Sony game ever and cheaper than the best selling FPS GaaS shooter, CoD.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If true I knew it. Sony's GAAS pricing strategy is $40.

H2, Concord, Marathon.

Lets face it. Sony is not the type of company that does F2P models. I dont know, have they ever?

Branded

Escape from Tarkov is about 52eu and the other closest solid shooter in that space is Hunt Showdown but they recently lowered the price as part of the new relaunch. So... fair but also good luck? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Killjoy-NL

Hunt Showdown is €30.

The €30-€40 price-range seems pretty fair.
People really like to whine about everything nowadays.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a story rich SP experience and turning into a GaaS. Us old farts who actually remember the Marathon name sure appreciate that.

Top Bottom