• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Bungie’s Marathon Appears To Be Targeting $40 Launch Price

Varteras

Tarkov, a highly successful extraction shooter, also has an upfront price tag. I don't think charging $40 will be the problem for this game. That wasn't Concord's sole issue anyways, and Helldivers sold gangbusters using it. Considering rumors the game might be canceled, this topic could very well be pointless.

clarky

Gold Member
Tarkov, a highly successful extraction shooter, also has an upfront price tag. I don't think charging $40 will be the problem for this game. That wasn't Concord's sole issue anyways, and Helldivers sold gangbusters using it. Considering rumors the game might be canceled, this topic could very well be pointless.
There are no rumours that its cancelled. Just some dude speculating for clicks on Youtube.

Last edited:

nnytk

A collegue of mine is very invested in Tarkov's new PvE mode. Apparantly it is really, really, really good.

If Bungie can find the right balance between PvE and PvP, by offering a substantial PvE package for more casual players like myself, then this could be huge. I'd love to play a PvE centric extraction shooter. I'm thinking about how Destiny's TTK took a lot of cue's from Diablo 2's progression and Rift system. Marathon could be special.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

It's probably necessary to reduce the number of hackers. Paywall is the single biggest deterrent.

But it certainly won't go well because of the expectations people have. Also Bungie has alot of enemies and bad will. So they probably will also get ddos as well.

Sounds mostly baseless.
I would really be interested in a poll thread:
"Based only on the genre, ip, and developer, would you be open to paying $40 for Marathon?"

Can definitely say I would not

SJRB

Gold Member
Discussing a price point when we know next to nothing about this game feels dumb as fuck.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I see no problem with $40? Games do not have to be f2p at all. The next Battlefield will be multiplayer only again (i mean i don't think it will have any SP) and it won't be free.

Aion002

Gold Member
Hopefully it has a lot of content, specially pve modes... 40 usd for only pvp is a deal breaker for me.

IAmRei

Why i got feeling this could lead to concord situation. But the game visual design for the character is better than concord, though i dont know if there is something weird in the future. Hopefully they are not pushing weird stance like concord.

sainraja

People see $40 and think concord but remember, Helldivers 2 was also $40 and another plus point of HD2 is that their MTX is pretty reasonable so if Sony can continue that model with any of their other games, we should welcome it, I think.

GIF by Groundhog Day
Perfection.gif

clarky

Gold Member
It better be more fun than Hell Divers 2. Otherwise it should be free to play, like Destiny 2.
HD2 sold a shit load. D2 is highly successful and wasn't free to play for a long time. Both very different games.

Doesn't explain why you think this will be DOA at $40. We know very little about the game, im curious why people are so quick to write it off.

Last edited:
HD2 sold a shit load. D2 is highly successful and wasn't free to play for a long time. Both very different games.

Doesn't explain why you think this will be DOA at $40.
Just a hunch. I think in theory it sounds good. But I’ve seen no gameplay on it. It might do ok, but I think $40 might be a steep price. The fact that rumors have said that it morphed into a hero shooter based extraction game is a real kick in the nuts. Hero shooters are lame.

clarky

Gold Member
Just a hunch. I think in theory it sounds good. But I’ve seen no gameplay on it. It might do ok, but I think $40 might be a steep price. The fact that rumors have said that it morphed into a hero shooter based extraction game is a real kick in the nuts. Hero shooters are lame.
Agreed on the hero shooter point.

But Like you said, i'm reserving judgement until we've seen gameplay or a beta. I don't see why this would be DOA at $40 just yet. There isnt anything to go off. The trailer was a banger.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Nothing to show yet for this title.

Not like Bungie. They usually get the hype train started early and keep it moving.

Likely another shitty game which sucks because initially I was excited over the premise.

HogIsland

It's ironic that Playstation sabotages its own live service strategy by making games that require an $80/yr subscription to play. Even if you wanted to play Concord over Overwatch 2, Concord has a $120 barrier to entry.

I actually prefer paid multiplayer that comes with a game's worth of content, rather than the barebones content found in something like The Finals.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No way, it will follow Sonys new release plan, it will be released for exactly two weeks and then cancelled and everyone who bought the game refunded.
Marathon will be lucky to last 2 weeks. I'm giving it 4 days on the market before PlayStation pulls it.

Top Bottom