• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Bungie’s Marathon Appears To Be Targeting $40 Launch Price

Esppiral

That was the joke. 😄
4ksN9us.png

dmaul1114

I don’t think being paid is necessarily a kiss of death. Helldivers 2 costs $40 and is a huge success.

The key is whether Marathon offers something unique and appealing enough to get people to pay vs. playing the tone of free to play MP shooter games.

Helldivers 2 did, Concord didn’t. Do I have confidence in Bungie to pull it off? No. But it doesn’t seem like Sony has an interest in making F2P MP games so they’ll see if it succeeds like HD2 and can it if not.

I was never a fan of Sony trying to chase the GAAS money anyway. Their differentiator was always great single player games. They should focus on balancing their huge budget AAA ones with more Astro Bot, Jack and Daxter, Sly Cooper type games instead of chasing the GAAS stuff IMO.

Yeah, this is gonna fail too.
Unlike Naughty Dog that can sell remasters to keep their studio alive after recently canceling an unsuccessful project, Bungie is unfortunately not in the same position to cancel Marathon, and the Destiny money is drying up. There’s over 3 billion dollars on the line with this situation, this can make Concord look like child’s play, gotta feel for Bungie man.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Unlike Naughty Dog that can sell remasters to keep their studio alive after recently canceling an unsuccessful project, Bungie is unfortunately not in the same position to cancel Marathon, and the Destiny money is drying up. There’s over 3 billion dollars on the line with this situation, this can make Concord look like child’s play, gotta feel for Bungie man.
Destiny 2 has been on Steams top 10 highest grossing game every year since launch. It's probably about the 25th most played game on Steam and between 5 - 10 in highest grossing. That means it probably performs exceptionally well on PlayStation and XBox too.

Naughty Dog doesn't generate that kind of consistent revenue. They're a 400 person studio. Bungie is an 850 person studio. They grew to that size because performance leads to growth.

Last edited:
Destiny 2 has been on Steams top 10 highest grossing game every year since launch. It's probably about the 25th most played game on Steam and between 5 - 10 in highest grossing. That means it probably performs exceptionally well on PlayStation and XBox too.

Naughty Dog doesn't generate that kind of consistent revenue. They're a 400 person studio. Bungie is an 850 person studio. They grew to that size because performance leads to growth.

Bungie was going bankrupt right before they pulled off the second biggest scam in gaming.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This will flop badly too.

PlayStations audience does not give a shit about GAAS other than the already established ones.

Good luck Sony

Should have just made an exclusive FPS with a story and normal multiplayer. You know, like the game that made them famous…

Last edited:

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
This will flop badly too.

PlayStations audience does not give a shit about GAAS other than the already established ones.

Good luck Sony

Should have just made an exclusive FPS with a story and normal multiplayer. You know, like the game that made them famous…
I wanted a Marathon with a magical detailed single player campaign but it winds up being shit like concord

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If it's as good as Helldivers 2 or Destiny when it launched, it will succeed.

If it's another turd impacted by the paint-by-numbers agenda, then it won't.

What if it's one of the best playing games but with a paint by numbers agenda presentation wrapped over it ? 🤔

Do you think people will be willing to overlook it for the gameplay experience alone?

Top Bottom