• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

I played The Binding of Isaac last night, for the first time in several months, and it was remarkable how much better that game is at applying the mechanics and sensibilities of a roguelike to another genre.

armv

Are shortcuts instant?

I've beaten the mines twice now and gave Tunnel Man the necessary item, however the shortcut is still under construction.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I played The Binding of Isaac last night, for the first time in several months, and it was remarkable how much better that game is at applying the mechanics and sensibilities of a roguelike to another genre.
Maybe it's because you like Zelda more. But I'm just speculating.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

what other genre is boi?

also, couldn't disagree more, spelunky is pretty much perfectly done. Feels brutally hard, but i've seen a lot of the stuff in the first week with the game. I don't think a perfect run will be impossible for me.

probably the speed run achievement may be out of my grasp.

SUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

iKLJMrDdd9D6P.jpg

GYcPz.gif

Is there any reliable way to find the black market? If not, what's the best general strategy to increase your chances? Does it only appear on a certain level?

Wow, just beat it again, starting from the jungle this time. Robbed a shopkeeper of a jetpack and shotgun and just blitzed through the whole damn thing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reliable way to find the black market? If not, what's the best general strategy to increase your chances? Does it only appear on a certain level?

total spoiler

go through the mines and find the gold key and chest it unlocks. this gives you the 'eye' thing. the black market is hidden on the jungle stages somewhere, wander around and that eye will start flashing blue when you are near it. then bomb your way to it. it's a 'black market detector' of sorts

if you want to be spoiled about getting more progression through the game, read further

in the black market you need to buy/steal the ankh from the bottom/rightmost guy. This gives you an extra life, then sacrifice yourself in the ice caves on top of that giant head with a picture of the ankh on it. I've never made it that far :( supposedly doing this with bombs is a bad idea, i'm not sure why though or if that's specific to the pc version

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK YES SHORTCUT TO TEMPLE

eat shit and die tunnelman, my mortgage to you is paid in full. wooo haaaaa

now i've discovered the temple is pretty much impossible with a default spelunker, need more items.

now i've discovered the temple is pretty much impossible with a default spelunker, need more items.

Yeah, the shortcut to the temple is mainly useful so you can die 100 times in quick succession learning about what's killing you. Its not gonna be easy to complete the game from there, but as with everything in Spelunky the experience is invaluable for when you start earlier.

Does anyone have a reliable strategy for beating the final boss?

That guy screws me royally.

Olmec? If you're doing it in one run, stock up on bombs as often as you can and use ten or so to blow out a path to the lava. If you're using the Temple shortcut, you obviously won't have as many provisions to potentially acquire in just three levels. He's pretty tricky without a surplus of bombs to assist you. Take you're time and make each smash count. Make sure you don't dig yourself to deep in the trench you blow out, otherwise he'll trap you and death is inevitable. A shotgun also definitely helps for the enemies he spawns randomly.

And now it's time to brag. I'm certain I was on the very top of my Spelunky game this afternoon (or I just got lucky and got easy boards really often). Currently ranked first on weekly times and second on weekly scores. Beat Hell for the first time today as well, and then did it again a few runs later. Feels good.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dear lord I finally sorted out the ankh, got that hedjet and made it to the temple, stepped off the beginning of the first stage and wasted a mummy with the shotgun I earned myself, only to be hit multiple times by those things he releases for insta death. most amazing run ever then dead in 1 second on the temple. FUUUUUUU

aku:jiki

dear lord I finally sorted out the ankh, got that hedjet and made it to the temple, stepped off the beginning of the first stage and wasted a mummy with the shotgun I earned myself, only to be hit multiple times by those things he releases for insta death. most amazing run ever then dead in 1 second on the temple. FUUUUUUU
That sucks, I really hate the bugs he releases and make sure I'm never in front of him for that reason.

I had a run yesterday, going for 500k and/or Hell, and I messed myself up so badly that I just had to turn off the 360 and feel bad for a while. I had jetpack, shotgun, 300k, basically the works... The level after I used the ankh, there was a treasure room in kind of an awkward spot that I decided to use the ghost on (to make more money). Way too late, I realized that I had no way to force the ghost to hover over the jewels in there and without thinking I tossed a bomb to try to make some space for me to manouver in and the explosion tossed a piece of a chest into my face which in turn tossed me straight into the ghost. God damn it! I really need to start pausing and taking a moment to think when shit like that happens...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what's this about a ghost making more money? Explain. I need to start attacking the gold achieve now, I've never bothered but usually feel rich if I've got 50,000..... how the hell is 500k even achievable?!

what's this about a ghost making more money? Explain. I need to start attacking the gold achieve now, I've never bothered but usually feel rich if I've got 50,000..... how the hell is 500k even achievable?!

When ghosts touch gems they turn into diamonds, which are worth a lot more.

loving all the little secrets. shame I'm more scared of that ghost than a real ghost
I was too, until I actually decided to start taking them on for massive riches and I found that they're really not scary after all. They're pretty easy to dodge even if it might cost a rope or two. If you let a ghost touch all the jewels in a treasure room in the Mines, that's $70k and hopefully a shotgun from the guy in there. Very worth it if you're going for the $500k.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Welp 370 deaths and I just now discovered that you can shoot ropes downward, and that you can cancel out the kickback from the shotgun :mad:

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I think I subconsciously figured that since there's (almost) always a "safe" place to land, that transferring between strata unaided was an intentional mechanic. All on me of course but again :mad: (and also :) because this game rules)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I was too, until I actually decided to start taking them on for massive riches and I found that they're really not scary after all. They're pretty easy to dodge even if it might cost a rope or two. If you let a ghost touch all the jewels in a treasure room in the Mines, that's $70k and hopefully a shotgun from the guy in there. Very worth it if you're going for the $500k.

wait wait, he kills the shopkeeper as well?! I FUCKING HATE THAT SHOPKEEPER.

also, you can shoot ropes down..... lol 606 deaths news to me, still never beat the game. In my defense, I haven't taken a crack at beating it from shortcuts pretty much at all.

also what's this about cancelling out shotgun kickback? I've fallen on my fair share of spikes or backed into a tiki trap cause of that. still love the shotgun though. getting better with the freeze gun though, which isn't as good due to range, but it's still, alright and murders a shopkeeper real nice.

I'm not sold on the reward being worth the risk with regard to killing a shop keeper though, they're waaay to aware and if I've pissed one off and I've got a shotgun, he still normally kills me.

also, what's up with the shopkeeper in the box with 2 chests? I Tried to free that asshole with a pick axe once, thought he might be like 'OMG THANKS HERES RICHES' he murdered me. fucker.

Yeah, what? How do you cancel shotgun recoil? I pretty much always hold forward when I shoot and it does nothing... Died on a good run yesterday because the game didn't register me pressing X to shoot and then immediately holding A to use the jetpack (because I knew I'd land on spikes). The game is a little crappy at making deaths fair sometimes, like how sometimes the shopkeeper will shoot after you but you still die.

wait wait, he kills the shopkeeper as well?! I FUCKING HATE THAT SHOPKEEPER.
No, it doesn't. I just mean that hopefully I can kill that guy and get his gun.

also, what's up with the shopkeeper in the box with 2 chests? I Tried to free that asshole with a pick axe once, thought he might be like 'OMG THANKS HERES RICHES' he murdered me. fucker.
That's the treasure room I keep talking about, btw. It's not meant for anything but high scores.

Me and a bro took a shot at this and rarely made it out of the caves throughout a lengthy session. A week later me and two bros took a shot at it and we only got out of the caves like three times.

Any advice other than to stop being ADD dipshits?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Me and a bro took a shot at this and rarely made it out of the caves throughout a lengthy session. A week later me and two bros took a shot at it and we only got out of the caves like three times.

Any advice other than to stop being ADD dipshits?

use the 'look up' and 'look down' extremely frequently.

decide what you're going for. I play now like 'i'm chasing gold' or 'i'm rescuing people' based off achievements.

don't try and do everything. figure out if you really want to kill the shop keeper. Often it's not worth it. treat every bad guy as the end of you, cause it can be.

above all, patience. I generally die way too much from rushing it. try to take your finger off the run button a lot more than you probably do (I play with the run button 90% held, I can't help it and I die a lot because of it)

Daigoro

Welp 370 deaths and I just now discovered that you can shoot ropes downward, and that you can cancel out the kickback from the shotgun :mad:

how do you cancel the kickback?

edit: i see this has been asked already.

im still trying to get that key to the shortcut guy. so many stupid deaths...

Daigoro

whoo! i just unlocked it. got pretty luck in the ice caves and ran through in about 2-3 minutes. the gloves actually saved my ass instead of getting me killed for the first time ever. glad i dont have to carry that key around anymore. got through a dark jungle level with the key too. feels good.

got to temple and Anubis dry humped me in about 30 seconds. the longest ive ever spent in temple.

Standing still, tap forward as you fire and you won't budge.

forward and X at the same moment? ill try that. thank you.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
got to temple and Anubis dry humped me in about 30 seconds. the longest ive ever spent in temple.

i've killed that asshole twice now. holy jesus at the overpowered scepter you get. feels so disappointing when a tikitrap robs you of your life anyway :(

Daigoro

ooh didnt know he gave up his weapon. the amount of weapons in this game is amazing. i still havent seen a plasma cannon since i picked one up in a box in caves in the first few days. insane.

after 600 something deaths i think im finally just starting to not suck at this game. figuring out what works and what doesn't, and how to approach difficult situations.

i didnt realize how amazing the pickaxe is. for some reason i thought it broke after several hits (for some dumb reason), now i realize its like one of the best items in the game. i love tearing apart levels with the thing.

i unlocked meat boy and sideburns dude yesterday. i dont know if ill ever unlock them all though. that last guy sound impossible to unlock, but maybe after another 1000 deaths or so, ill feel differently.

The pickaxe doesn't break after a certain amount of uses? It totally broke on me once, and I assumed that was why.
use the 'look up' and 'look down' extremely frequently.

decide what you're going for. I play now like 'i'm chasing gold' or 'i'm rescuing people' based off achievements.

don't try and do everything. figure out if you really want to kill the shop keeper. Often it's not worth it. treat every bad guy as the end of you, cause it can be.

above all, patience. I generally die way too much from rushing it. try to take your finger off the run button a lot more than you probably do (I play with the run button 90% held, I can't help it and I die a lot because of it)
Thanks. I think the last one is probably the biggest problem we have to work on. With three people and only one person controlling the camera, it takes even more effort to pace things properly.

Daigoro

i love the references in this game. Evil Dead and i just discovered yesterday- DUNE!

what else? (besides the obvious Indiana Jones)

There's an x% chance it'll break every time you use it. If you're lucky it could last forever!

ah that explains it. firs time i used it it broke after like 4-5 hits. i was thinking the thing was almost useless, until i used it to dismantle like 5 levels yesterday.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i've killed that asshole twice now. holy jesus at the overpowered scepter you get. feels so disappointing when a tikitrap robs you of your life anyway :(

The first time I got one it was just randomly laying on the ground... and I found out it homes in on enemies the hard way... by firing it in the wrong direction and it came right back and killed me.

i didnt realize how amazing the pickaxe is. for some reason i thought it broke after several hits (for some dumb reason), now i realize its like one of the best items in the game. i love tearing apart levels with the thing.

I blame the giantbomb QL, that's where I remember hearing it.

Daigoro

i agree with the idea that the better you get at a difficult game the more you get out of it. you can really appreciate how well crafted a game is when you really start to understand it.

besides Spelunky, Trials is a perfect example.

i was in this particular zone yesterday. i already knew Spelunky was a great game and i loved it, but getting over that hump from outright terrible at the game to actually competent is like a revelation. it finally became fun!

Can't believe I died on Hell 5-2 yesterday...on the exit! Despite having some 15 bombs, I decided to cheapskate it and not use one on a very sadistically-placed tiki trap and it turned into a combo clusterfuck of death. :(

There's an x% chance it'll break every time you use it. If you're lucky it could last forever!
Not if you bring it with you to the next level; it becomes unbreakable when you do.

Don't use the scepter! It's glitchy and will randomly kill you out of nowhere. I try not to use it at all but yesterday, I sorta panicked and used it and insta-died. I had 70 bombs, 20 ropes, jetpack and all the other good stuff. Oh, and 15 life. God damn it!

Daigoro

Holy shit the pick axe becomes unbreakable? God teir item then.

So hey, some dude ported Spelunky PC to html5 apparently (check Yu's twitter). Its glitchy but the guy is working to improve it.

Gonna try it out on the 360 web browser one day. :p

Fuck yes! I finally beat Hell yesterday! After an extremely frustrating run that ended with Yama doing these insane dodges that he doesn't do in any video I could find on YouTube (and yelling and slamming my table following it), I managed to get back to him and pull off the exact reverse of the previous situation and extremely luckily killed him in one attack (by managing to stick multiple bombs to him completely by happy accident).

Feels good to finally be done with both $500k and Hell, now I can finally start speedrunning and not care so much if I can't afford a bomb pack or whatever. Not having to deal with angry shopkeepers due to robbing the black market is a huge relief too. Whew!

Yeah the invincible pickaxe is a glitch though, so it'll be gone whenever they get the first patch out.
Yeah, that'll be a tough trade... Losing the unbreakable mattock but hopefully gaining a fixed scepter that doesn't randomly kill you.

Daigoro

congrats. im still struggling with the temple level. its fucking harsh.

and that SUCKS about the pickaxe! i used it just this morning and it was brilliant. beat my old score by like 40k points before i did some stupid shit and died way to early. i was rich by the end of mines for crying out loud.

-

here is Spelunky in a browser. no sound yet and is all squashed and messed up in IE. Chrome is good. http://tinysubversions.com/game/spelunky/

Top Bottom