• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

Scrum

This game is giving me what we in sweden calls "psykbryt" (think Michael Douglas character in falling down and you´re somewhat right)

I was at 2-4 and had a shotgun ready for tunnelman and plenty of life and bombs when I jumped short and got impaled :(

Oh well.

Bleh, I think this game is brilliant and I've been playing since an early PC build, but I really think that the difficulty really relies far too much on requiring perfect/near-perfect runs. There's far too little of a margin for error in this game and that's one of my biggest gaming pet peeves. But the game is so great that I have to fight my hate for that.

Last night I finally got Ironman.... But I am having a bad time trying to reach the city of gold!

How am I supposed to kill Anubis and get his scepter, when the game makes me lose my weapon when I have to kill myself in the cave using the Ankh?

Once I managed to get to him with more than 20 bombs and also the "Glue", and exploded the hell of him, but he doesn't die!!!

With the shotgun killing him is easy, but the problem is that he often appears on temple 1, very early, and it is difficult to find a shotgun to buy, or even a shopkeeper to steal :(

Tips? :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Game is hard as shit.

Great but doing awesome and someone hits you with one thing that triggers off chain reaction of body flying all over the level and landing on spikes.

Fucking tunnel man is a demanding fucker.

Also, tiki traps hate hate

Man, I've been playing this game so much since release.

I spend most of my time just trying to get as far as I can and as much money as I can without using shortcuts. I've only gotten as far as 4-2 without using a shortcut, but damn I'm having so much fun with this game. I had a run today that got me to 1800 on the leaderboard! :) Had just over 80,000 when I died, and I totally feel like I could get up to 100,000 because the mistake I made when I died was completely stupid and avoidable. :(

Last night I finally got Ironman.... But I am having a bad time trying to reach the city of gold!

How am I supposed to kill Anubis and get his scepter, when the game makes me lose my weapon when I have to kill myself in the cave using the Ankh?

Once I managed to get to him with more than 20 bombs and also the "Glue", and exploded the hell of him, but he doesn't die!!!

With the shotgun killing him is easy, but the problem is that he often appears on temple 1, very early, and it is difficult to find a shotgun to buy, or even a shopkeeper to steal :(

Tips? :D
2 glue bomb is enough. Not sure why you didn't kill him that time.
Also, he ALWAYS appear on temple 1.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i now have to get a
gold key from the mine
to tunnel man at the end of the ice caves.

holy merciless shit.

made it through the caves to the jungle, straight to a dark level. wtf that's impossible without the light, and generally impossible anyway

sixghost

i now have to get a
gold key from the mine
to tunnel man at the end of the ice caves.

holy merciless shit.

made it through the caves to the jungle, straight to a dark level. wtf that's impossible without the light, and generally impossible anyway

Can you open up the flaming box on the 360 version? The PC version let you press up+use to get 3 little balls of fire that you could carry or toss around, it made the dark levels a ton easier once you start using those.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, you get one torch.

yeah and if you're trying to carry a key.... find it difficult enough with a torch as you can't even see the bottom of drops etc.

but who cares, this game is the real deal...

aku:jiki

Standing absolutely still, progress-wise, for like a week is like the worst feeling in gaming! I just can't find the time to sit down and play properly - I do play a bit every day but being tired from work and only having so much time means I make 2 lame runs where I miss the Black Market or whatever and thus don't get to City of Gold and thus don't get to try Hell... Not being made any easier when sundays apparently is official "kids above me run fucking amok for 8 hours STRAIGHT" day in my new building. Had such a sweet run when the brats knocked over a chair or some shit, I jumped a bit (in real life) and managed to land on a trap. God damn it!

This game is so demanding, but I just cannot stop playing it. I won a free Minecraft a week ago and I haven't even built a single block in it yet, because Spelunky steals all my gaming time. I just need to make some more progress soon! Let me at least see Hell, even if I die right away!

(Just had to vent a bit of Spelunky frustration, sorry.)

Made it to 3-4 from starting at 1-1. Killed a vendor early on so I had to deal with a merc at the end of each level, but I had a shotgun, cape, both glove types, and glasses. Was insane.

Standing absolutely still, progress-wise, for like a week is like the worst feeling in gaming! I just can't find the time to sit down and play properly - I do play a bit every day but being tired from work and only having so much time means I make 2 lame runs where I miss the Black Market or whatever and thus don't get to City of Gold and thus don't get to try Hell... Not being made any easier when sundays apparently is official "kids above me run fucking amok for 8 hours STRAIGHT" day in my new building. Had such a sweet run when the brats knocked over a chair or some shit, I jumped a bit (in real life) and managed to land on a trap. God damn it!

This game is so demanding, but I just cannot stop playing it. I won a free Minecraft a week ago and I haven't even built a single block in it yet, because Spelunky steals all my gaming time. I just need to make some more progress soon! Let me at least see Hell, even if I die right away!

(Just had to vent a bit of Spelunky frustration, sorry.)

I know how you feel, man. Got all the way to 3-3 with the key... then my son put me off and I got killed by a fat Mammoth. Wanted to throw my son out the window.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
blargh made it to 3-4 with the
golden key for tunnel man

PIT!

also made it to the black market and fucking wrecked the place and got the public enemy achieve, then fell on a spike at the end, wasted the ankh and then died on the same god damned spike leaving the place. I was essentially superman with 50 bombs capes and all that jazz. damnit.

I know how you feel, man. Got all the way to 3-3 with the key... then my son put me off and I got killed by a fat Mammoth. Wanted to throw my son out the window.
Haha, I had the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago, but with the kids above me. I was gliding down to the exit of 3-4 with the cape and key in hand, something loud happened above me and I looked away for a split second and landed on one of those bouncy traps. That got me and the key caught in a loop and on every bounce, the key would knock me out and take 1 life off. Repeat for like 9 hearts. :(

catfish said:
also made it to the black market and fucking wrecked the place and got the public enemy achieve, then fell on a spike at the end, wasted the ankh and then died on the same god damned spike leaving the place. I was essentially superman with 50 bombs capes and all that jazz. damnit.
That's pretty much what every session looks like for me now. I'll have like 9 runs where I don't really get anything good, scrape by with 4-5 bombs and then die late in the game because I get overwhelmed due to not having any gear or I just give up because I'm mostly trying for 500k and having 60k on 3-1 doesn't cut it. Then on the 10th run, I'll get a jetpack, shotgun, 75 bombs and 150k on 2-1 and I'll celebrate it by falling into the first totem trap I see. God damn it!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty much what every session looks like for me now. I'll have like 9 runs where I don't really get anything good, scrape by with 4-5 bombs and then die late in the game because I get overwhelmed due to not having any gear or I just give up because I'm mostly trying for 500k and having 60k on 3-1 doesn't cut it. Then on the 10th run, I'll get a jetpack, shotgun, 75 bombs and 150k on 2-1 and I'll celebrate it by falling into the first totem trap I see. God damn it!

game is deadly, but it's what makes it good as well. a harsh mistress.

500k, I'm uneasy about that achieve, I'm gonna go for it once I've got my tunnels, but jesus that's quite a bit of cash.

can't believe this topic isn't more busy, the game is incredibly clever with the secrets.

I would NEVER have got to the worm level on my own. did get black market though.

What do all the special levels actually do? I did find characters in one or two of em, is there supposed to be a character in every one?

shotgun is godly in this game, gotta watch the kickback though, it's pushed me off a ledge few times.

gunstarhero

Accidentally killed Dracula (Vampire bat) with a bomb, and was surprised when it dropped a cape! Mario-style!

Game surprises me every time I play it.

What do all the special levels actually do? I did find characters in one or two of em, is there supposed to be a character in every one?
They generally have a character and an item that may (up to you) be worth going there for even after you unlock the character. The worm has the whip replacement.

Accidentally killed Dracula (Vampire bat) with a bomb, and was surprised when it dropped a cape! Mario-style!
You just killed a regular vampire. There actually is a hidden boss vampire named Vlad!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

Game surprises me every time I play it.

I killed that bigass wasp once. holy risk/reward.

Made it to 3-4 from starting at 1-1. Killed a vendor early on so I had to deal with a merc at the end of each level, but I had a shotgun, cape, both glove types, and glasses. Was insane.

I've had one of those runs so far. God damn was it satisfying! I can't recall which level I died on, but it was from 1-1 to the 2nd or 3rd temple level. Cape and climbing gloves will set you free baby, gliding through ice caves like it weren't shit.

And man oh man the secrets! The first time I accidentally blew up a headstone with the name
Ash
on it.. so good lols.

Oh and how do I get a shortcut past the jungle? I'm getting tired of those god damn dark levels ruining my runs.

Krelian

blargh made it to 3-4 with the
golden key for tunnel man

PIT!
A similar thing happened to me earlier. I was at 3-4 when an unfortunate chain of events caused me to fall down and drop
the key into the abyss
while I was landing right next to the exit :/

Stuneseht

Whats the difference between the PC and Xbox version?

Aside from the graphical upgrade; the Xbox version has many similarities with the PC version. Think of it like an upgrade from super mario bros to Super Mario Bros 3. Many of the mechanics are still the same i.e. level progression and lots of dying; but the Xbox version has alot more polish to it.

Does the gold slot door do anything in the temple? How do you open it?
You need the
staff by killing Anubis on 4-1
and the
secret hat from the ice caves, but you need the Ankh from the black market in the Jungle to get it

Basically, you need a full near perfect run from 1-1, but it's worth it.

Aside from the graphical upgrade; the Xbox version has many similarities with the PC version. Think of it like an upgrade from super mario bros to Super Mario Bros 3. Many of the mechanics are still the same i.e. level progression and lots of dying; but the Xbox version has alot more polish to it.

Oh thats how it is, the graphics are colorful on the xbox version wich is a good thing.

@toythatkill: lol :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and how do I get a shortcut past the jungle? I'm getting tired of those god damn dark levels ruining my runs.

I think tunnel man needs
2 bombs, 2 ropes then a shotgun
something like that. tunnel man is a jerk.

Kard8p3

Just bought it a few minutes ago, finished the tutorial and I'm on my first real level..

hold me GAF. What have I unleashed?

Daigoro

i havent made much progress at all here. made it to the Temple about 3 times so far and that shit is HARD.

lugging the key around is fucked, but i think thats going to be the next goal i try to accomplish.

this game wears me out. i cant play it for more than an like 1-2 hours at a time before i just need a break.

also, several of the achievements for this game are really cruel and unusual punishment.

the game is amazing and great and wonderful, but very brutal and unforgiving.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finally unlocked the last shortcut. Made my way with the key through a dark jungle as well. Feels fucking good man.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Finally unlocked the last shortcut. Made my way with the key through a dark jungle as well. Feels fucking good man.

damn you the dark jungle is impossible. I always get tempted to fiddle with my tvs brightness settings at that point.

I don't see how it's even fair, at some parts there is just large drops where you can't investigate the bottom of and just have to luck it. Fucking dead guy with a golden key on a spike so many times.

Well, I finally beat the game using the tunnel to the temple. Olmec Is a big bitch! Took me about 50+ tries, though.

Think I'll try and beat my score and then try and see the city of gold.

Don't think I'll try and get all the achievements in the game, probably wouldn't be good for my heart and stress levels. Haha

Also, have one more character to unlock.

big_z

Fuck this shit I think I might be done. Game glitched out on a perfect run trying to get to
hell
just before the entrance.

Sciz

I don't see how it's even fair, at some parts there is just large drops where you can't investigate the bottom of and just have to luck it. Fucking dead guy with a golden key on a spike so many times.

In situations like that, it's wise to bomb your way through a narrow part elsewhere or at the very least chuck one down the drop ahead of yourself and just eat the falling damage.

Igo

Finally beat the PC version on my 261st run. Now I can actually play something else until I feel like attempting a perfect run.

The temple was surprisingly easy, as I figured out how to get the scepter my 3rd time there. The scepter also makes the boss extremely easy too. Beat it on my 3rd attempt. I should have beaten him on my second attempt, but a red frog died right next to me and a panicked.

The most frustrating part of the entire game was grinding $300,000 in the damn ice caves to open up the damn shortcut. So many times I died with $50,000+ to some ridiculous shit because I couldn't find the exit. The key run sounds like a much better solution.

How many deaths is it normally taking people before they beat it for the first time?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
damn you the dark jungle is impossible. I always get tempted to fiddle with my tvs brightness settings at that point.

Yeah, dark levels have crazy potential to be cheap as hell. I've just dropped onto maneating plants a lot.

I cannot beat the goddamn temple either. I have the first 3 worlds down easily, but I have yet to beat the game because this level is nuts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm at 370 and I haven't beaten it yet. Don't even have the shortcut to the temple yet :(

last i looked i was at 275 and only seen about 2 minutes of the temple. made it to temple 3 i think....

however, once I got caves unlocked i have been concentrating on getting the shortcut unlocked, not getting to the temple again.

also, i tend to zone out on this game and play it while tired or just not generally give a fuck and eat like 20 deaths pushing 'restart adventure'

the amount of times I've found a jetpack and then found literally the first bat after that, freaked out and lost 4 hearts on a hilarious combo of 'oh shit bat, oh shit spider fucking spike bomb goddamnit' in about 3 seconds after picking up the jetpack or other awesome item.

smh.

Top Bottom