• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Cant wait until next month when the Ultimate Universe crashes into 616 and destroys that shitty lame dame continuity once and for all.

LONG LIVE ULTIMATE PETER PARKER

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"Definitive" =/= "Version of something I like the best." Words have meanings. Just say what you mean. The definitive Spidey is the one with 60+ years of backstory that has influenced innumerable shows, movies, merchandise and spinoffs - like Ultimate Spider-man. Much of Ultimate takes things long established in the definitive Spider-man books and either copies them wholesale, tweaks them slightly or uses the baseline to just do the opposite.

It's very much a (entertaining and quality) derivative work. By any definition, something so heavily derived can't be the definitive version of something because it did not create the base definition of the character. Call it your favorite, argue why Ultimate is better, whatever, but it simply can't be the definitive version of the character because that's not what the word means.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
"Definitive" =/= "Version of something I like the best." Words have meanings. Just say what you mean. The definitive Spidey is the one with 60+ years of backstory that has influenced innumerable shows, movies, merchandise and spinoffs - like Ultimate Spider-man. Much of Ultimate takes things long established in the definitive Spider-man books and either copies them wholesale, tweaks them slightly or uses the baseline to just do the opposite.

It's very much a (entertaining and quality) derivative work. By any definition, something so heavily derived can't be the definitive version of something because it did not create the base definition of the character. Call it your favorite, argue why Ultimate is better, whatever, but it simply can't be the definitive version of the character because that's not what the word means.
Thanks.

Fiktion

Banned
It's definitive because nothing will ever top it, it is the absolute pinnacle of the character and the purest distilled essence of what makes Spider-Man great.

I would argue it's impossible to arrive at a definitive version of anything without deriving from past, inferior attempts.

WanderingWind

It's definitive because nothing will ever top it, it is the absolute pinnacle of the character and the purest distilled essence of what makes Spider-Man great.

I would argue it's impossible to arrive at a definitive version of anything without deriving from past, inferior attempts.

Once again, you're saying "it's my favorite." Nothing wrong there. But unless you're trying to say that Ultimate invented the definition of Spider-Man as a character it simply can't be the definitive version. If you take any element of what makes Spider-Man great, those traits were already introduced decades prior to Ultimate even existing. Take a definitive element, "Great power," "boy genius," "everyday teenage superhero," Gwen, MJ. Aunt May, Osborne, Capt. Stacy, his rogues' gallery, his power set, his attitude - anything you care to name, it was defined in the 616 books. The word definitive has a meaning and it's not "thing I really like."

And yes, I am acutely aware hoe incredibly Comic Book Guy this discussion is.

PsychBat!

Banned
Its the Vampire Arc, am I right? Yeah. It was the beginning of the end.
Last post:
It was War of the Symbiotes. It was a year before Ultimatum happened. While War of the Symbiotes happened in Ultimate Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man was going through New Ways to Die, and we all saw how that went. Hint: Pretty good. It was a good step forwards coming out of that one thing that should not mentioned at all. In War of the Symbiotes, Gwen came back. Big whoop. Nothing else much happened that was noteworthy.

WanderingWind

We doing this bit, now? Here you go.
: serving to provide a final solution or to end a situation <a definitive victory>
: authoritative and apparently exhaustive <a definitive edition>
a : serving to define or specify precisely <definitive laws>
b : serving as a perfect example : quintessential <a definitive bourgeois>
: fully differentiated or developed <a definitive organ>
of a postage stamp : issued as a regular stamp for the country or territory in which it is to be used

Now show me what in Ultimate served as the definition of the character that wasn't already established before in the 616. What makes Ultimate the definition of the character of Spider-Man, to you?

WanderingWind

Just take your L. Can't spin that.

It's almost as if those sentences had context written around them. I'm sure you can suss out their meaning, if you take them and apply your own Webster definitions to them. If not, I can try to explain them to you again later.

Fiktion

Banned
It's almost as if those sentences had context written around them. I'm sure you can suss out their meaning, if you take them and apply your own Webster definitions to them. If not, I can try to explain them to you again later.

You look like a damn fool right now. I get it, you're embarrassed, but this is only making it worse.

Ultimate Universe has gone down the toilet shortly before even hitting Ultimatum.

I blame Ultimates 3 for that.

As if 616 hasn't had its share of shitty stories. Perhaps a REFRESH is in order:

gwenstacylovescene-456.jpg

990797.jpg

superhero2.jpg

I think Ultimate Spider-Man can handle a brief flood that got swept under the rug a year later. Don't forget the whole Miles Morales saga happened post-Ultimatum that pushed USM to new heights.

Neoxon

As if 616 hasn't had its share of shitty stories. Perhaps a REFRESH is in order:

gwenstacylovescene-456.jpg

990797.jpg

superhero2.jpg

I think Ultimate Spider-Man can handle a brief flood that got swept under the rug a year later. Don't forget the whole Miles Morales saga happened post-Ultimatum that pushed USM to new heights.
You're forgetting the fact that the Ultimate universe is being wiped out along with Earth-616.

Amir0x

Banned
Is Spectacular Spider-Man worth watching? My brother-in-law keeps trying to get me to watch his copy, but Marvel's animated stuff is so hit or miss that I'm never sure if it's worth the effort.

Neoxon

Is Spectacular Spider-Man worth watching? My brother-in-law keeps trying to get me to watch his copy, but Marvel's animated stuff is so hit or miss that I'm never sure if it's worth the effort.
Put it this way, Spectacular Spider-Man is the definitive take on Spider-Man beyond the comics. It's that good.

Spinluck

It's leagues above Marvel's stuff. It was done by Sony.

antonz

If they wanted to tease Spiderman in AoU the best way would be just to have an after credit scene with one of the defeated ultron drones webbed up against a wall. No Spiderman or anything in the scene but the webbing and such would be a massive tease.

Have someone see the scene and make a comment then straight to black with massive audience cheers. Or for massive effect perhaps have JJJ looking at photos brought to him of the drone all webbed up.

Then they can introduce Spiderman in Civil War.

Spinluck

FTFY, Marvel Animation & Marvel Studios are two completely different beasts. Likewise, Sony's animated division & Sony Pictures' film division are different beasts.

I don't see why this needed to be said. I was talking about the animation. In response to that post.

He referred to it as "Marvel's animated stuff." I thew Sony in there to let him know it wasn't done by Marvel/Disney.

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry but I read Spider-man for lots of years and I have to agree the ultimate approach was the best idea. Teenage Parker with teeny problems and lots of homour.

The 616 Spidey wasn't even close to being as good as the bendis bagley USM run for years now

Top Bottom