• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Mumei

El Mayimbe said that they're looking at all ethnicities for the role last night on Twitter.

I'm okay with this, but I'm still miffed about the age thing.

Penguin

El Mayimbe said that they're looking at all ethnicities for the role last night on Twitter.

I'm okay with this, but I'm still miffed about the age thing.

Ahh so there's now a formula

Make a claim
If it doesn't pan out backpedal

Then say the search is still on

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Make a claim

basically, it would be stupid to not do Peter Parker as he was made by Kirby, Lee and Ditko. Miles and Miguel are viable options on their own so why limit your options.

Mumei

Make a claim

I'm not sure how seriously I should take claims that are simply posted to Twitter versus claims that are published on the site. Less seriously, but how much less?

Slayven

I'm not sure how seriously I should take claims that are simply posted to Twitter versus claims that are published on the site. Less seriously, but how much less?
Nu Journalism. Everyone worries about being first, but never about being correct

Penguin

I think when you speak with a certain amount of "authority" in your field, I do think you should be careful of what you put out there no matter the medium.

It's also confusing because in this particular case, he has posted actual news/breaks/leaks on his Twitter before.

That entire argument of what is definitive and what is not is silly.

If you really want to get to the heart of it all, the only interpretation of Spider-man that could be considered "definitive" is Stan Lee's original run. Everything after that is, essentially, officially recognized fanfiction. Dan Slott's current garbage is no more definitive than any other adaptation of Spider-man just because of what arbitrary universe his Spider-man is a continuation of.

Eh Maybe strikes again.

He wasn't the only insider who bungled it yesterday. He obviously heard SOMETHING real, then leapt to the wrong conclusion... then leapt to another one. But the initial info DID lead to something.

In Mike Fleming's case at Deadline, he had direct quotes from people involved as he broke the Ghostbusters story... and then decided to completely misrepresent the nature of the story. Another case of good info taken to a wrong place. This time not through carelessness, but by perttiness.

This is why you need to cultivate a working bullshit detector, and not just read the first 2 paragraphs of any shittily written linkbait article and call it good.

Penguin

He wasn't the only insider who bungled it yesterday. He obviously heard SOMETHING real, then leapt to the wrong conclusion... then leapt to another one. But the initial info DID lead to something.

In Mike Fleming's case at Deadline, he had direct quotes from people involved as he broke the Ghostbusters story... and then decided to completely misrepresent the nature of the story. Another case of good info taken to a wrong place. This time not through carelessness, but by perttiness.

This is why you need to cultivate a working bullshit detector, and not just read the first 2 paragraphs of any shittily written linkbait article and call it good.

To be fair, I don't think restating that an actor said he landed a big role... then assuming it's Spider-man... then coming out what role the actor landed is getting "info"

The ACTOR was the one who told us about the role, El Mayimbe got NOTHING. It wasn't Spider-man, it wasn't X-Men and it wasn't Deadpool. So he did nothing but spread false hope/rumors.

To be fair, I don't think restating that an actor said he landed a big role... then assuming it's Spider-man... then coming out what role the actor landed is getting "info"

The ACTOR was the one who told us about the role, El Mayimbe got NOTHING. It wasn't Spider-man, it wasn't X-Men and it wasn't Deadpool. So he did nothing but get the attention that he so badly craves.

Fixed that last sentence for accuracy.

Pachimari

Does the Marvel Spidey actually have an official title? I'm pretty sure it don't, but it's referred to as Spectacular Spider-Man at so many places online.

I also just watched the pilot of the Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series, and it actually bored me, and some of the style creeps me out, but maybe I'm just too used to the 90's show?

Neoxon

Does the Marvel Spidey actually have an official title? I'm pretty sure it don't, but it's referred to as Spectacular Spider-Man at so many places online.

I also just watched the pilot of the Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series, and it actually bored me, and some of the style creeps me out, but maybe I'm just too used to the 90's show?
Just keep watching it, it all goes uphill from there.

Penguin

Fixed that last sentence for accuracy.
Rt/Fav this for that burn!
:p

I liked it from ep one, and grew to love it as it went on

So not sure what to tell you.

Though believe pretty basic intro/villain but everything is connected, very serial in nature.

Is Spectacular Spider-Man worth watching? My brother-in-law keeps trying to get me to watch his copy, but Marvel's animated stuff is so hit or miss that I'm never sure if it's worth the effort.

I didn't like it but I know a lot of people here do. I actually liked that MTV series with the stylish CG that came before it.

Penguin

I didn't like it but I know a lot of people here do. I actually liked that MTV series with the stylish CG that came before it.

I actually like the MTV one as well.

I dislike Unlimited and I dislike the first two seasons of Ultimate Spider-man. I hear it's gotten better, but don't watch it

Fuck that little kid shit.

4044190-4764164944-37882.jpg

sk10.jpg

He doesn't look so badass when he invokes Satan because he can't accept the inevitability of death...

-griffy-

Banned
The guy who was casted to play Leatherface was confused for getting the role of Spider-Man.

So Sam Strike himself was confused and thought he was going to play Spider-man instead of Leatherface? Wow, what a tease! Can't wait to see his Leatherface come chainsaw-to-hammer with Thor though.

Neoxon

So Sam Strike himself was confused and thought he was going to play Spider-man instead of Leatherface? Wow, what a tease! Can't wait to see his Leatherface come chainsaw-to-hammer with Thor though.
No, Latino Review confused Sam Strike for being Spider-Man.

flkraven

I'm stumbling around the interwebs, and I find myself at some random website that is discussing an apparent 'leaked after credits scene'. I won't link the site, because it is complete fucking garbage. Here is what they describe happens at the end:

The end credits scene starts with a view of a half destroyed building. Stan Lee is then shown walking around the building as a piece of debris is about to fall on him. As the debris about to hit Stan Lee, Spider-Man swings and grabs Stan Lee, saving him at the last minute. Stan Lee says thanks to Spider-Man as Spider-Man gives him a thumbs up and zips away

I've that isn't the biggest pile of horseshit, I don't know what is. Who believes this stuff?

CorvoSol

That entire argument of what is definitive and what is not is silly.

If you really want to get to the heart of it all, the only interpretation of Spider-man that could be considered "definitive" is Stan Lee's original run. Everything after that is, essentially, officially recognized fanfiction. Dan Slott's current garbage is no more definitive than any other adaptation of Spider-man just because of what arbitrary universe his Spider-man is a continuation of.

Although I'm inclined to agree with your sentiment, I think that from time to time a storyline does come along and redefine a character. Maybe less so now, but like, the whole Phoenix thing happened to Jean Grey after Lee's time on X-Men had ended, but it came to define her character.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm stumbling around the interwebs, and I find myself at some random website that is discussing an apparent 'leaked after credits scene'. I won't link the site, because it is complete fucking garbage. Here is what they describe happens at the end:

I've that isn't the biggest pile of horseshit, I don't know what is. Who believes this stuff?

Stan Lee filmed his Age of Ultron cameo scene months before the Marvel/Sony deal was made.

You know what they should do to show him but not have to commit to whatever actor and costume they hastily create now? Show him in a wrestling match on a tv in the background wearing something close to this:

spider-man-1-wrestler.jpg

Mumei

You know what they should do to show him but not have to commit to whatever actor and costume they hastily create now? Show him in a wrestling match on a tv in the background wearing something close to this:

spider-man-1-wrestler.jpg

That's too close to origin period for my taste. Then again, they are evidently going with a fifteen year old so who knows.

Although I'm inclined to agree with your sentiment, I think that from time to time a storyline does come along and redefine a character. Maybe less so now, but like, the whole Phoenix thing happened to Jean Grey after Lee's time on X-Men had ended, but it came to define her character.
I absolutely agree--I didn't mean that literally when I said only the original run can be definitive--I meant rather the opposite. Definitive character depictions can come from anywhere and anything. It doesn't really matter what continuity or medium they come from.

I mean, I would think most Batman fans would agree that the definitive Mr. Freeze is from The Animated Series, so I am more mocking the idea that the original has to be the definitive, which is straight nonsense.

neoanarch

The Lee and Ditko run is absolutely the definitive Spiderman. The death of Gwen and for better or worse the clone saga also define the character. Ultimate is a fantastic retelling of the story. But it doesnt redefine any of the characters or story.

The Lee and Ditko run is absolutely the definitive Spiderman. The death of Gwen and for better or worse the clone saga also define the character. Ultimate is a fantastic retelling of the story. But it doesnt redefine any of the characters or story.
That's mostly true. The only thing that it really add to overall canon was Death of Spider-Man and Miles Morales. The rest is basically akin to an adaptation/retelling.

Neoxon

Steven DeKnight may have confirmed that Drew Goddard sealed the deal for being director of the Spider-Man reboot.

fCUhOn3.png

Pachimari

Steven DeKnight may have confirmed that Drew Goddard sealed the deal for being director of the Spider-Man reboot.

fCUhOn3.png

He have since tweeted he just knows what he have read.

Man, I bet Dylan O'Brien is Spider-Man and Drew Goddard is the director. I will be satisfied if this turns out to be true, and it will! Don't disappoint me now Marvel.

He have since tweeted he just knows what he have read.

Man, I bet Dylan O'Brien is Spider-Man and Drew Goddard is the director. I will be satisfied if this turns out to be true, and it will! Don't disappoint me now Marvel.

Has there been any new news on the O'Brien front?

I thought that the chances it's him were as good as dead.

Top Bottom