• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Whew.

Also,i just gotta ask.

Why in the hell would marvel sign a contract wherein a studio has access to a superhero indefinitely as long as they keep making movies.

Why the fuck would you sign this contract?

Giving away most of their non-Avengers characters to other movie studios helped get them out of their bankruptcy issues back in the late 90s/early 00s.

Angel_DvA

So Uncle Ben will die again ?

get

Mindwipe

Whew.

Also,i just gotta ask.

Why in the hell would marvel sign a contract wherein a studio has access to a superhero indefinitely as long as they keep making movies.

Why the fuck would you sign this contract?

That's the way most contracts work for film and TV adaptations of printed materials.

Heck, it's the same thing Marvel and DC did to their own writers (the most famous example being the rights to Watchmen revert to Alan Moore when it goes out of print. Which it will never, ever do).

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Peter's comic track record contains some of the most influential and important comic book stories of all time.

I would argue against this but its 8:30 where I am and I am already at my daily nerd limit.....I'll just say that ASM2 covered the last time your statement was true....

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
When most of those years are strait dookie it isn't hard.

And I like spidermens, peters comic track record tho... wooof.

Lots of shit sure, but plenty of gold. Miles Morales tenure has been just shit, no gold.

Basically Marvel should look to the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon for how to get it absolutely right and just blitz it.

Tobor

they haven't made a hulk movie in how many years? I'm not saying they aren't going to use peter but how many times do I see to see uncle ben die and hear that "with power comes responsibility spiel over a 2 hour movie again?

Who says this has to be an origin? The audience is familiar with the origin, just start the movie with Peter already Spiderman and roll with it.

Village

That's the argument you're going with? lol.

Not really an argument, I done said my piece about spider in OT gaming and the BCT thread, i'm kinda done. For a marvel mascot a large LARGE amount of his comic material is just bad. And can see the appeal of a loreless spiderman. I personally don't care, its going to be neat either way. And am patiently waiting for doom to come back home. But yeah, a lot spidey comics...not great

Peter's comic track record contains some of the most influential and important comic book stories of all time.

Sure, if thats how you wish to phrase it,

I would argue against this but its 8:30 where I am and I am already at my daily nerd limit.....I'll just say that ASM2 covered the last time your statement was true....
The last time my statement was true was Civil War. It's like, the main thing people remember from that series that was handled well. After that is when Spider-Man comics generally started to go down hill.

You can't sit there and tell me that 90's Spider-Man comics had no influence or importance for the comic book industry.
Not really an argument, I done said my piece about spider in OT gaming and the BCT thread, i'm kinda done. For a marvel mascot a large LARGE amount of his comic material is just bad.
This is true of every comic book hero that has both popularity and longevity. Look at Wolverine comics or Flash comics some time. The majoirty of Wolverine comics I've read are terrible. That doesn't mean the characters aren't important. You don't fill 50 years up with complete literary gold. Nothing has that track record.

Village

Lots of shit sure, but plenty of gold. Miles Morales tenure has been just shit, no gold.

Basically Marvel should look to the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon for how to get it absolutely right and just blitz it.

MMMM nah, I think all the spider people that aren't peter have been on point, even ock. And even peter has been on point lately so thats nice.

Spectacular is good. Did you know there is a new spidey cartoon with flash venom in it? I had no effing idea.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, the Black Panther pushback really does dampen this. 3 1/2 years? It's like it doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, Spidey's where the money's at, but Marvel doing BP could have some cultural impact. I was really excited to see how it would turn out and even more; see how people would respond to it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Spidey should be in the Doctor Strange movie if they don't want to reboot everything/go over his origin story.

This way you can basically do some weird inter dimensional thing to justify his arrival in the MCU while giving a publicity boost to Dr Strange.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Yeah, the Black Panther pushback really does dampen this. 3 1/2 years? It's like it doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, Spidey's where the money's at, but Marvel doing BP could have some cultural impact. I was really excited to see how it would turn out and even more; see how people would respond to it.
...it got pushed back, like, 8 months. Could you be any more dramatic?

It's not cancelled. It can still have cultural impact. Shifting the date doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Tobor

How will this deal work? I dont understand. So Marvel just wants the character in their movies? Thats it?

Kevin Feige from Marvel is now co producing the solo spider man films as well.

The result will be better Spiderman movies, and more money for Marvel and Sony.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
This way you can basically do some weird inter dimensional thing to justify his arrival in the MCU while giving a publicity boost to Dr Strange.

You mean, he comes from an alternate dimension? They're just going to include him as if he's always existed in the MCU. Possible they might delay his introduction to another movie, but it's going to be Civil War. I think that's what really spurred Feige to do this.

Slayven

Now if you had said Carol Danvers as a character with a long history but no good stories? I would co sign that all day long.

Not really an argument, I done said my piece about spider in OT gaming and the BCT thread, i'm kinda done. For a marvel mascot a large LARGE amount of his comic material is just bad. And can see the appeal of a loreless spiderman. I personally don't care, its going to be neat either way. And am patiently waiting for doom to come back home. But yeah, a lot spidey comics...not great

I wholeheartedly agree. A major reason I stopped reading comics is because Spider-Man is constantly shit. It'll have a good run then it will turn garbage for the next 5 years or so. In the 90's it had decent story lines, Aunt May died, all was well, but then Harry comes back, clones, Aunt May returns, etc. A period in 2000's was good after years of being garbage MJ and Peter were back together, but then you got shit like Gwen and Norman's kids. The retconning of the marriage was the last straw for me even though, apparently people say single Peter is better, but I dont really care anymore.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
None of the previous ones have, why would you think this one would?

They'd have to actively try to make a worse movie than ASM2 and we're at a stage now where "internet hype" over things like Marvel re-acquiring creative control can translate to actual box office hype

So fine it's the only Phase 1 movie without a sequel.
It was the only box office pseudo-bomb in the entire MCU. Which is a completely different issue altogether and automatically makes it tough for Marvel to pitch a sequel to anybody (not to mention Universal is supposed to own distribution rights to Hulk still). Afflalo's Hulk is often cited as one of the high points of Avengers, which, you know, is one of the top three highest grossing movies of all time. So I stand by my point.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The last time my statement was true was Civil War. It's like, the main thing people remember from that series that was handled well. After that is when Spider-Man comics generally started to go down hill.

You can't sit there and tell me that 90's Spider-Man comics had no influence or importance for the comic book industry.

The main thing about that series that was handled well was what happened to cap in the end and how Iron man regrets it.

Civil War as a comic was pretty bad for Peter when it came ou and it led directly "to one more day" which took the title of the nadir of spider man comics from the clone saga that was made in the 90's? Like I know spiderman is in this movie but I still don't see them going all the way and doing to spidey what was done in the comics. It literally broke spiderman in the comics and forced a retcon

Flintty

Who says this has to be an origin? The audience is familiar with the origin, just start the movie with Peter already Spiderman and roll with it.

Spidey has been known to break the fourth wall. Perhaps the opening scene can be him webbing up some cons after a big chase scene with Spidey narrating. He then says 'I guess you're wondering what my story is?' Before giving a thirty second flashback of getting bitten, introducing MJ or Gwen, Harry etc. Dunno.

Wait guys. So marvel and sony partnership right? Hoping this partnership will also lead to Marvel Vs Capcom 4! Just let sony send money to capcom to develop it.

curb

Banned
Inhumans got it worst. Inhumans storyline introduced in
---AoS----
might as well not exist.

My first takeaway from that was that whatever happens during the Inhumans movie will have no bearing on Infinity War Part II. I had this misguided hope that the second half of infinity war would be the entire MCU vs Thanos.

Wow! Woke up to this slayage today. This is like megaton for Sony and Marvel! I am.... So happy. This is why Marvel are my faves..Spiderman in the Civil War. I can't handle this.

It's called unfortunate implications.

Marvel announced Black Panther. Fans celebrated about his role in Civil War and the release date of his own film. Marvel then announced that film was delayed, and Spider-Man was getting its place. Also rumours that Spider-Man is in Civil War.

I'm sorry, if that doesn't make you 'wait... uh...' slightly? That's a tad worrying.

Not worrying at all, it's business. The only bright spot about Sony having control over Spider-Man is that they could release films on their schedule without worrying about impacting the gross of MCU films. If spidey released two weeks after Captain America or whatever and cut its legs off, so be it.

Now that they're collaborating, this is going to be a factor. You're not going to get as many movies per year. Spider-Man is going to be taking slots that would have gone to less recognizable franchises. If Marvel got the Xmen and FF tomorrow, you could pretty much say goodbye to properties like BP, Strange, Captain Marvel or Ant Man EVER getting developed.

Top Bottom