• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Blader

Yeah, Boseman got a lot of mentions long before Marvel announced anything, but I can't remember if that was a 100% fancast choice or if it had been prompted by some older rumor about Marvel pursuing him.

Yeah, Boseman got a lot of mentions long before Marvel announced anything, but I can't remember if that was a 100% fancast choice or if it had been prompted by some older rumor about Marvel pursuing him.
I think it was mostly the former since a million people were rumored to be up for the part. He was great in 42 and I've heard he was great in Get On Up too.

It was a rumour that marvel was looking at him after his performance in "42." After the rumours started he'd get really dodgy when being asked about it in interviews and would joke around a lot hinting that they had merit.

Anth0ny

Okay real talk

I don't even like Nickelback but this was the fucking jam for me as a kid. When the credits rolled and this song played the first time I saw Spider-Man I felt so elated. It captures the spirit of that childlike wonder of heroism really well.

I think it worked really well too.

It helped that at that time, Nickelback wasn't known for releasing the same sounding song 600 times. Hero was their first single.

BLACKLAC

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o1_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o2_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o4_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o5_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o6_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o7_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o8_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o9_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o10_1280.png

tumblr_njrk94BpOY1rsjo10o3_1280.png

DarkFlow

Banned
Perfect.

I just realise that we now how Spider-Man and Ant-Man in the same universe which is funny because when I first was telling people about Ant-Man the general response was that he sounds like a knock-off Spider-Man and that's why Marvel decided to give him a film.

Ant-Man never gets his due for being a foundering Avenger.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Perfect.

I just realise that we now how Spider-Man and Ant-Man in the same universe which is funny because when I first was telling people about Ant-Man the general response was that he sounds like a knock-off Spider-Man and that's why Marvel decided to give him a film.

I'm wondering if Marvel knew they were going to get to use Spider-Man in the MCU when they designed the Yellowjacket suit:

2.jpg

Future Iron Spider suit anyone?

I'm wondering if Marvel knew they were going to get to use Spider-Man in the MCU when they designed the Yellowjacket suit:

2.jpg

Future Iron Spider suit anyone?
I'd love to see Iron Spider, it'd be great! Maybe that's how they'll introduce Spider-Man into the fold in Civil War. He's been around for a while, Stark courts him and upgrades him to the Iron Spider suit (from the suit we all know and love) and then he reveals himself to the world (should also be our first look at the actor, maybe?).

I feel like Spider-Man de-masking himself can still be effective if this is his first appearance as I'm relatively sure audiences will know that a 'secret identity' has been core to Spider-Man.

Ant-Man never gets his due for being a foundering Avenger.
It doesn't help that when audiences are used to Spider-Man and Bat-Man that Ant-Man sounds a bit silly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
While I'm glad Spiderman will now be in MCU, I'm kinda pissed that they are halfassing a reboot just to do, they should keep Andrew Garfield and continue the Amazing spider-man series, the whole it don't make sense because where was SM in the fight for new york is stupid, where was any banyin Cap 2? Thor 1- 2
Iron Man 3 fucking S.H.I.E.L.D
Atleast they can make ASM3 set after the events New York while Parker was off the grid due to Gwens death and have the first two films be set before Avengers.
It would make a lot more sense then what they're doing

Neoxon

While I'm glad Spiderman will now be in MCU, I'm kinda pissed that they are halfassing a reboot just to do, they should keep Andrew Garfield and continue the Amazing spider-man series, the whole it don't make sense because where was SM in the fight for new york is stupid, where was any banyin Cap 2? Thor 1- 2
Atleast they can make ASM3 set after the events New York while Parker was off the grid due to Gwens death and have the first two films be set before Avengers.
But Marvel wants nothing to do with The Amazing Spider-Man movies, which would be toxic if they were connected to the MCU. They want to start from scratch, at least not from origin story scratch.

Except the whole reason why Sony is doing this MCU deal is because the ASM series significantly underperformed both critically and in the box office (barely $200M domestic vs $400M for the first SM and that was 15 years ago). Why waste an opportunity like this by continue to invest in a failure?

*Best friend defends Amazing Spiderman 2 whilst refusing to watch Winter Soldier with me because, and I quote "He'd just go around shouting about America and justice and shit all the time"*

tumblr_lv7dib65jg1r15uxlo1_500.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But Marvel wants nothing to do with The Amazing Spider-Man movies, which would be toxic if they were connected to the MCU. They want to start from scratch, at least not from origin story scratch.

Except the whole reason why Sony is doing this MCU deal is because the ASM series significantly underperformed both critically and in the box office (barely $200M domestic vs $400M for the first SM and that was 15 years ago). Why waste an opportunity like this by continue to invest in a failure?
Yeah I understand that but it's not like the New Spider Man is guaranteed to be better, it's still the same people making the Spiderman film, it's still Sony SM with special appearances of SM in the Marvel films
but it's being rebooted yet again just for that.
A lot of ASM problems was because it was a reboot nobody wanted, which I think they did good on despite that.
This new Spider-Man is gonna be even more rushed but it ain't gonna have Garfield and Stone to save it.
I hope I'm wrong but you can surely see why I'm a bit worried, I don't want a Val kilmer batman situation.

Yeah I understand that but it's not like the New Spider Man is guaranteed to be better, it's still the same people making the Spiderman film, it's still Sony SM with special appearances of SM in the Marvel films

Uh, what? Where are you getting that?

By all indications, Spider-Man 2017 is a Marvel Studios film, just one that's being funded and distributed by Sony with some token creative input from them. But Feige is setting the direction.

Blader

A lot of ASM problems was because it was a reboot nobody wanted, which I think they did good on despite that.
This new Spider-Man is gonna be even more rushed but it ain't gonna have Garfield and Stone to save it.
I hope I'm wrong but you can surely see why I'm a bit worried, I don't want a Val kilmer batman situation.

It's still Sony but it's not actually the same people. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, who were the driving forces behind the ASM committee, have effectively been demoted to positions of non-influence here while Feige will have an actual hand (even if not the final say) in shaping the next Spider-Man movie.

Neoxon

It's still Sony but it's not actually the same people. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, who were the driving forces behind the ASM committee, have effectively been demoted to positions of non-influence here while Feige will have an actual hand (even if not the final say) in shaping the next Spider-Man movie.
This, plus Kevin Feige brought the entire Marvel Studios crew with him. This is effectively a Marvel Studios film with Sony signing off on whatever Marvel does, not unlike Iron Man 1, Thor 1, or The Incredible Hulk.

I really want to hear Feige himself talk about Spider-Man. He has a real genuine (if necessarily selective) way of talking about these films, and you just know he's been waiting years to get his hands on Spidey.

This, plus Kevin Feige brought the entire Marvel Studios crew with him. This is effectively a Marvel Studios film with Sony signing off on whatever Marvel does, not unlike Iron Man 1, Thor 1, or The Incredible Hulk.
Actually Marvel financed, produced, and had all of the creative input for Iron Man and Thor. Incredible Hulk was a coproduction with the independent studio Valhalla Productions (which worked on the original Hulk). Nonetheless Marvel owned the rights to all three franchises at that point so they signed off on everything. Paramount and Universal were distributors only. The current deal is uncharted territory for Marvel.

DieH@rd

Banned
I've only seen him in The Maze Runner and he was pretty good. A standout amongst all the other crappy actors in the movie. Give him the role Marvel. He already called it.

If they are gonna aim for younger Peter Parker, I still think Asa Butterfield is best choice. He will be 19 by the time standalone Spiderman movie is released, and 20-21 by the time of Infinity Wars films.

guek

Banned
After watching Kingsman, I want Egerton to be to Eddie Brock so badly

001.jpg

The older bro angle would work so well with him. I don't care if he can't do an American accent, make the character British, it wouldn't really matter.

Plus, the guy is clearly capable of beefing up for the part
6a00d8341c730253ef01b7c74c4e75970b-800wi

I don't think it will be rushed. Marvel have probably had scripts and ideas of how they would use the character for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if they already have a shortlist of directors and actors. Civil War hasn't even started production and that is due out in a year and a half.

Mumei

After watching Kingsman, I want Egerton to be to Eddie Brock so badly

001.jpg

The older bro angle would work so well with him. I don't care if he can't do an American accent, make the character British, it wouldn't really matter.

Plus, the guy is clearly capable of beefing up for the part
6a00d8341c730253ef01b7c74c4e75970b-800wi

The problem I'd have with that is that the actor is 5'8", and while height isn't a dealbreaker when it comes to comic character casting, I would prefer someone around 6'1 - 6'3"-ish.

Avi Avrad must think hes living in a perpetual nightmare where Feige beats him up and steals his lunch money

post-26847-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-2bPg.gif

I don't think it will be rushed. Marvel have probably had scripts and ideas of how they would use the character for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if they already have a shortlist of directors and actors. Civil War hasn't even started production and that is due out in a year and a half.

It's totally like a long-term relationship where the guy wants a threesome, knows he'll probably never get one, but has every minute detail planned out to the letter.

guek

Banned
The problem I'd have with that is that the actor is 5'8", and while height isn't a dealbreaker when it comes to comic character casting, I would prefer someone around 6'1 - 6'3"-ish.

He wouldn't work for bodybuilder reporter Eddie but he he would for older childhood friend Eddie. Venom should be mostly CGI anyway, huge and hulking, almost resembling the alpha from Edge of Tomorrow. He can grow when actually in the symbiote.

I'm so hyped, I had a dream the other night I was Spider-Man in Age of Ultron and Ultron was wrecking shit, and lit the St. Louis Arch on fire, and was way OP.

Shit was hype as fuck.

He wouldn't work for bodybuilder reporter Eddie but he he would for older childhood friend Eddie. Venom should be mostly CGI anyway, huge and hulking, almost resembling the alpha from Edge of Tomorrow. He can grow when actually in the symbiote.

I really, really want this to happen. I couldn't handle another 'Spider-man but black and with teeth' Venom.

Yeah I think so. Or maybe not as he will probably have a quick cameo or something. Marvel never specified how big of a role Spider-man will have in this movie. Maybe actually a swing by lol

Given that the deal was just signed and that CW should already be deep into pre-production, I don't see how he can have more than a cameo unless they're pushing back production significantly.

kirblar

Given that the deal was just signed and that CW should already be deep into pre-production, I don't see how he can have more than a cameo unless they're pushing back production significantly.
He likely won't be unmasked at any point, so that they can do ADR for him.

He likely won't be unmasked at any point, so that they can do ADR for him.

That doesn't address how he could have any significant amount of screentime, unless we're supposed to believe Marvel took the costly (and probably unprecedented) move of running two concurrent preproductions based on Spidey and Spidey-less drafts of the script.

Top Bottom