• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Village

Can I say something.

Unless i missed some info, I don't think that venom going to be in or going to be the main one pushed for the mcu.

I think they might go with the flash one as soon as possible.

Again, unless i missed info specifically stating otherwise.

I don't know if this has been discussed; but the deal is just for Spider-Man to show up in MCU films? The rest of the characters will only be in the Sony ones? Or could we see a new Norman Osborn show up in the MCU and possibly form the Dark Avengers or something?

Sorry if this was covered, but most of the articles just say Spider-Man and doesn't touch on his supporting cast of characters.

I would assume the cast of supporting characters are up for negotiation, especially since they'll be linked to the MCU anyway via the version of Spidey, and they've discussed other MCU characters showing up in Spidey's films.

I would assume the cast of supporting characters are up for negotiation, especially since they'll be linked to the MCU anyway via the version of Spidey, and they've discussed other MCU characters showing up in Spidey's films.

That's a good point. Can't imagine them not wanting to build up the rest of Spidey's cast as well. It'd just be cool to see OsCorp used in other projects or referenced.

Ophelion

That's a good point. Can't imagine them not wanting to build up the rest of Spidey's cast as well. It'd just be cool to see OsCorp used in other projects or referenced.

It would be a good idea to start more terrestrial and build back up to cosmic stuff again after Infinity War. Osborne as antagonist to the whole MCU could definitely be good for that.

I remember telling my girlfriend at the time of Dark Reign all the Magnificent Bastard bullshit Osborne got up to throughout the Marvel universe.

As I recall, her catchphrase response to me relating one of these stories was, "Someone really ought to kill this guy."

She's not wrong.

anaron

9KtuM2c.jpg

Dalek

I am baffled that People say that The Wolverine is a good movie.

Me too. I've come to just accept that fans of the X-Men film franchise are just a special lot. I've read the X-Men books since I was seven-so that's 30 years. The films are X-Men In Name Only.

mreddie

Are we still doing the Widow needs a film thing? I want a female superhero but Widow doesn't have it to carry a film with just her.

anaron

I don't really think set schedule* is that much of a stretch.

*unless we get our biggest fucking character back
sure, but people always churn out that the MCU's plans are so intricate and building up to something important and yet spidey is suddenly available and that reasoning gets thrown out.

it's weird

dcelw540

Well it makes sense, black widow is already an established hero and in my opinion works best as a supporting character. A full length movie dedicated to her i can see not work out fully. On the other hand spider-man is the biggest marvel hero and will easily make huge money.

Blader

I don't recall Marvel ever saying they couldn't do a Black Widow film because of scheduling, they just weren't interested in doing it. That and it'd require renegotiating Scarlett's deal, apparently. Just more cost-effective and brand beneficial to simply launch a new franchise than spin off an existing character into her own movie.

anaron

I don't recall Marvel ever saying they couldn't do a Black Widow film because of scheduling, they just weren't interested in doing it. That and it'd require renegotiating Scarlett's deal, apparently. Just more cost-effective and brand beneficial to simply launch a new franchise than spin off an existing character into her own movie.
"And they don’t mention “Hunger Games,” “Frozen,” “Divergent.” You can go back to “Kill Bill” or “Aliens.” These are all female-led movies. It can certainly be done. I hope we do it sooner rather than later. But we find ourselves in the very strange position of managing more franchises than most people have — which is a very, very good thing and we don’t take for granted, but is a challenging thing. You may notice from those release dates, we have three for 2017. And that’s because just the timing worked on what was sort of gearing up. But it does mean you have to put one franchise on hold for three or four years in order to introduce a new one? I don’t know. Those are the kinds of chess matches we’re playing right now."

Yeah I'll be honest I dont want to see X-Men in the MCU. They have a huge universe themselves and I dont feel like we need them in the MCU. They make sense on their own, unlike Spidey. He was all by himself and seeing him with the group will be great.

I do wish we could get just Hugh Jackmans Wolverine in the MCU though. He would be epic

I agree with all of this. If Fox sees the potential with a crossover they could set up the X-Men like the MCU equivalent of the Squadron Supreme. A group of heroes from a parallel Earth. Have some kind of Secret Wars-ish like plot and BAM!

Sephzilla

you don't think the single female avenger deserves her own film?

I don't think an Avenger getting their own film should be decided based on what gender they are. Black Widow doesn't have a solo movie for the same reason Hawkeye doesn't, they just aren't as popular as Captain America or Spidey. Besides, Captain Marvel is getting a movie.

anaron

Better question: Why do you think she deserves one just because she's already there and has a vagina?
what a dumb, sexist thing to say.

for me and many others, the character is inherently more interesting than captain america, Thor or even Iron Man due to her initial origins and reasoning for being a hero and how that factors into her role in a team full of superpowered icons that are traditional role models.

Blader

"And they don’t mention “Hunger Games,” “Frozen,” “Divergent.” You can go back to “Kill Bill” or “Aliens.” These are all female-led movies. It can certainly be done. I hope we do it sooner rather than later. But we find ourselves in the very strange position of managing more franchises than most people have — which is a very, very good thing and we don’t take for granted, but is a challenging thing. You may notice from those release dates, we have three for 2017. And that’s because just the timing worked on what was sort of gearing up. But it does mean you have to put one franchise on hold for three or four years in order to introduce a new one? I don’t know. Those are the kinds of chess matches we’re playing right now."

This still isn't "there's no time in the next few years to launch a Black Widow movie." That line of thinking is predicated on the idea that they're interested in doing a Widow movie and their hands are tired with other movies already on docket. But that's not the case; a Black Widow movie wasn't in the cards, period. It's not a victim of a scheduling, it's a victim of Marvel's lack of interest and probably a lack of willing to pay Scarlett even more for it.

There's no movie announced for Hawkeye, War Machine, The Vision, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, etc. either. It's got nothing to do with "well, we want to make these movies, but just don't have the time for them" and everything to do with which ones best benefit the brand and which don't.

RELIGHT

Banned
I don't think an Avenger getting their own film should be decided based on what gender they are. Black Widow doesn't have a solo movie for the same reason Hawkeye doesn't, they just aren't as popular as Captain America or Spidey. Besides, Captain Marvel is getting a movie.

This.

Also I'm getting tired of this gender and race pandering. Seriously, why even make that an argument? Black widow should get a movie because.....woman? Like wtf! I feel like it's the same crowd all over YouTube saying, "we've had enough white men as superheroes! Spidey should now be Miles Morales in the MCU!" It's a god awful race gender baiting argument and this shit needs to stop. You know what's so funny about that argument though, is that it's largely white men and women making it. I havent seen any non whites asking for Miles Morlaes as spidey in civil war.

I guess its about time we have a white kid from the Hamptons as Blade and we definitely need a solo Catwoman movie. Oh wait...

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
what a dumb, sexist thing to say.

for me and many others, the character is inherently more interesting than captain america, Thor or even Iron Man due to her initial origins and reasoning for being a hero and how that factors into her role in a team full of superpowered icons that are traditional role models.
How is it dumb or sexist? You keep suggesting that Black Widow needs a movie and those are the only reasons I see for you wanting her to have one. If you've got another one, I'm all ears. You have failed to list one yet other than the fact that you want to see a woman lead a movie. Guess what? There is one in the works! Captain Marvel. And two have been given TV shows -- Agent Carter and Jessica Jones.

She is a bad candidate for a solo film IMO, just like Hawkeye is. They are both better suited as supporting characters.

that's not the point, everyone realizes that

it's that marvel's "set schedule" reasoning is clearly bs

So this is really about women and not the "set schedule" reasoning? I think the fact Captain Marvel is coming out is huge and we have Agent Carter on tellie as well. Does every character need their own movie, male or female? No.

sure, but people always churn out that the MCU's plans are so intricate and building up to something important and yet spidey is suddenly available and that reasoning gets thrown out.

it's weird

Spiderman is the biggest property Marvel has ever had. This isn't the rule, it's the exception.

anaron

This still isn't "there's no time in the next few years to launch a Black Widow movie." That line of thinking is predicated on the idea that they're interested in doing a Widow movie and their hands are tired with other movies already on docket. But that's not the case; a Black Widow movie wasn't in the cards, period. It's not a victim of a scheduling, it's a victim of Marvel's lack of interest and probably a lack of willing to pay Scarlett even more for it.

but marvel likes money

scarlett johannson is guaranteed money

if lucy can pull off what did, the marvel branding + an already incredibly well established role would be huge

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
but marvel likes money

if lucy can pull off what did, the marvel branding + an already incredibly well established role would be huge
Do you actually know anything about the character?

mreddie

Carol is getting her own film.

I would like to see She Hulk and Squirrel Girl get their own films. Plus chances are Medusa will lead the Inhumans but I have no clue who could lead their own film.

There's no movie announced for Hawkeye, War Machine, The Vision, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, etc. either. It's got nothing to do with "well, we want to make these movies, but just don't have the time for them" and everything to do with which ones best benefit the brand and which don't.

Black Widow just doesn't seem like she's capable of carrying a movie.

I'm super stoked for Captain Marvel though.

Sephzilla

but marvel likes money

Scarlett Johannson does not bring in the same level of money that Spider-Man brings in.

This.

Also I'm getting tired of this gender and race pandering. Seriously, why even make that an argument? Black widow should get a movie because.....woman? Like wtf! I feel like it's the same crowd all over YouTube saying, "we've had enough white men as superheroes! Spidey should now be Miles Morales in the MCU!" It's a god awful race gender baiting argument and this shit needs to stop. You know what's so funny about that argument though, is that it's largely white men and women making it. I havent seen any non whites asking for Miles Morlaes as spidey in civil war.

I guess its about time we have a white kid from the Hamptons as Blade and we definitely need a solo Catwoman movie. Oh wait...
"I just want my countr... comic book movies back!"

anaron

How is it dumb or sexist? You keep suggesting that Black Widow needs a movie and those are the only reasons I see for you wanting her to have one. If you've got another one, I'm all ears. You have failed to list one yet other than the fact that you want to see a woman lead a movie. Guess what? There is one in the works! Captain Marvel. And two have been given TV shows -- Agent Carter and Jessica Jones.

She is a bad candidate for a solo film IMO, just like Hawkeye is. They are both better suited as supporting characters.

*gives reason for why I want her to have a film due to her unique role and character depth/history*

"you have failed to give a legitimate reason!"

k

Do you actually know anything about the character?
yes, but clearly you don't if you actually believe she isn't worthy of getting a film.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
*gives reason for why I want her to have a film due to her unique role and character depth/history*

k
Why would they deal with her origins in a solo film when they're clearly dealing with them in both Agent Carter right now as well as apparently going to be in Age of Ultron?

RELIGHT

Banned

k

But Black Widow is getting her own movie. It's a 20 minute short at about the 40 minute mark of Age of Ultron.

Why would they deal with her origins in a solo film when they're clearly dealing with them in both Agent Carter right now as well as apparently going to be in Age of Ultron?

Bro fist

Blader

but marvel likes money

Marvel likes franchises. And Scarlett will have completed her deal with Infinity War.

anaron

yeah, can you stop putting words in my mouth? I said her origins are part of what makes her such an interesting character.

we don't need to see them in a solo. I want an onscreen adaptation of the amazing rucka mini "itsy bitsy spider" anyway which is about Natasha facing off against a new black widow

Gartooth

but marvel likes money

I'd imagine Marvel is pushing towards making the characters their "stars" rather than the actors themselves to give them much more leverage with actors/audiences. RDJ is the notable exception, although we have yet to see an IM film without him.

Not to say that I wouldn't totally be down for a Black Widow film though. Would be way more interested in a solo film for her than Carol.

Slayven

All I will say is there are literally a stadium full of female characters that deserve a film before Carol. More if I count aliens and non humans.

Top Bottom