• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

I highly doubt they went into a meeting and said, "we'd like to make Black Widow into a solo film but she's a woman so green light the Spider-Man deal and pull a couple more super dudes from the marvel vault while we are at it".

Truth is they backed themselves into a corner by making Natasha a supporting character, much like Clint and banner (despite the fact that he does have a movie).

I think Marvel is very conscious of gender in their movies, or at least are trying to be. The fact that we are getting Captain Marvel speaks to this. Not to mention agent carter and Jessica Jones on the small screen.

It's progressing.

Sephzilla

Just throwing this out there - I'd be a bigger supporter of a Black Widow solo movie if she could actually carry some of her scenes in the other movies she's been in. This is subjective but for me, and a few of my comic book friends, Black Widow has always been one of the lesser interesting characters in the MCU movies. Right now I'd like to see her carry a few scenes before carrying an entire movie.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
yeah, can you stop putting words in my mouth? I said her origins are part of what makes her such an interesting character.

we don't need to see them in a solo. I want an onscreen adaptation of the amazing rucka mini "itsy bitsy spider" anyway which is about Natasha facing off against a new black widow
Congratulations on finally giving a specific example of what you would like to see in a Black Window movie.

It still wouldn't make as much money as Spider-Man though, so your argument is still bullshit.

anaron

This.

Also I'm getting tired of this gender and race pandering. Seriously, why even make that an argument? Black widow should get a movie because.....woman? Like wtf! I feel like it's the same crowd all over YouTube saying, "we've had enough white men as superheroes! Spidey should now be Miles Morales in the MCU!" It's a god awful race gender baiting argument and this shit needs to stop. You know what's so funny about that argument though, is that it's largely white men and women making it. I havent seen any non whites asking for Miles Morlaes as spidey in civil war.

I guess its about time we have a white kid from the Hamptons as Blade and we definitely need a solo Catwoman movie. Oh wait...

lol this is the worst fucking argument ever

maybe if comics and films actually had a balanced amount of diversity people wouldn't need to demand to see it but unfortunately, they do and that voice is only growing stronger and stronger.

oh and I see you've made the "why don't we cast one of the very few prominent black characters as white then!"

All I will say is there are literally a stadium full of female characters that deserve a film before Carol. More if I count aliens and non humans.
as much as I'm excited for captain marvel, this is so true. lol

RELIGHT

Banned
All I will say is there are literally a stadium full of female characters that deserve a film before Carol. More if I count aliens and non humans.

All I will say is there are literally a stadium full of characters that deserve a film before Carol. More if I count non Marvel comics.

LawfulEnder

Neo Member
I don't think the Spider-Man thing makes the lack of a Black Widow movie any more or less of a cop-out. If you were upset she doesn't have a solo movie coming before Spidey was announced, you probably still are. If you weren't upset, you probably still aren't.

They're obviously more willing to change their plans for their biggest character - and everything we've been hearing suggests that they've been hoping to get Spidey back for a while now, so they likely had a plan in place in case they could seal the deal with Sony.

I think it just proves they value Spider-Man more than Black Widow (obviously) and/or that they see Black Widow as more of a "glue" character like Nick Fury - she'll never get her own movie, but she'll be a secondary character in as many things as possible.

RELIGHT

Banned
lol this is the worst fucking argument ever

maybe if comics and films actually had a balanced amount of diversity people wouldn't need to demand to see it but unfortunately, they do and that voice is only growing stronger and stronger.

oh and I see you've made the "why don't we cast one of the very few prominent black characters as white then!"

as much as I'm excited for captain marvel, this is so true. lol

Christ...

Blader

Truth is they backed themselves into a corner by making Natasha a supporting character, much like Clint and banner (despite the fact that he does have a movie).

Oh, that's a good example I forgot about -- despite being arguably the breakout character of the first Avengers movie and stealing the show, there's still no solo Hulk movie on the docket.

Either Marvel execs are also prejudiced against 40-something white men, or they just don't the brand benefits of a solo Hulk film and would rather continue using him as a supporting character.

anaron

Congratulations on finally giving a specific example of what you would like to see in a Black Window movie.

It still wouldn't make as much money as Spider-Man though, so your argument is still bullshit.
I never said anything about BW making as much money as Spiderman, jesus christ. I said it would be big money, which it would.

also I laid out the specific example in my first response to you but your lacking reading comprehension is clearly being blinded by your silly rage at someone daring to want a film for their favourite character

RELIGHT

Banned
I never said anything about BW making as much money as Spiderman, jesus christ. I said it would be big money, which it would.

also I laid out specific example before that but your lacking reading comprehension is clearly being blinded by your silly rage at someone daring to want a film for their favourite character

1. doubtful
2. You are in the vocal minority on this
3. Black Widow is not strong enough or viable enough for a solo film especially given Marvels overall plans.

Loke13

I think Black Widow and Spider-Man should have team up movie their attitudes are incredible similar plus it would give Natasha and excuse to finally use her Spider and Psychic powers.

Yeah. Tired of seeing diversity too!

Anaron's Spider-Man argument was awful, but your flippant attitude makes it clear why such progressive aggressiveness is needed.

I'm conflicted on the spiderman front. I really like Miles and I want a movie with him. What I don't want is for him to see the screen as some sort of hybrid of morales and parker.

It would be a disservice to both characters. Miles is so great because he picks up the mantle and learns to live up to the identity of spiderman while being his own person.

I'd like a follow up movie on the Sony side with him after the reboot.

Slayven

I think Black Widow and Spider-Man should have team up movie their attitudes are incredible similar plus it would give Natasha and excuse to finally use her Spider and Psychic powers.

She already been part of the Spider Battle Harem

tumblr_m0q8tlRWgp1qh5euso1_500.jpg

mreddie

Sucks the more notable female Marvel characters are at FOX.

Aside from Carol, Janet, Jen, Spider Woman, Squirrel Girl and Runaways should be in their plans. Kamala? You need Carol before you get Kamala.

RELIGHT

Banned
Yeah. Tired of seeing diversity too!

Anaron's Spider-Man argument was awful, but your flippant attitude makes it clear why such progressive aggressiveness is needed.

You misunderstand what meant when I said Christ. It's not that I don't realized how the genre is largely monopolized by white characters. And I agree it would be nice to have more diversity, however, unlike Anaron I don't want diversity for the sake of diversity. He literally made the argument that black widow should get a movie because she's a woman. That's so shortsighted IMO. How about Black widow deserves a movie because she's a really deep and layered character and not a general one trick pony. Oh wait, she not very layered and deep and her story can fit inside of a larger more interesting movie.

My point is people need to stop this diversity for the sake of diversity argument because it's dAngerous and literally only perpetuates the underlying problems that has led to this point. IMO if you really want a female solo movie you have A LOT better characters than Black Widow to draw from. I want a Pheonix movie damnit!

Slayven

Sucks the more notable female Marvel characters are at FOX.

Aside from Carol, Janet, Jen, Spider Woman, Squirrel Girl and Runaways should be in their plans. Kamala? You need Carol before you get Kamala.

Notable yeah, but I rather eat glass then see a Rogue solo film, unless it involves Joseph/Magneto.

But a Monica Rambeau movie or series? Day freaking one.

PsychBat!

Banned
they have to be in a relationship tho
Yeah, there's the obstacle. Have the movie execs hint that there's some romantic interest between them.
We never get the good stuff. Probably get that wackass lame Wendall.
Well... Phyla is one of those characters that were established later on after Mar-Vell, Wendell and later on, Genis. I still wouldn't mind if Phyla was introduced without all that baggage.

RELIGHT

Banned
I feel fairly confident in saying that a Miles Morales movie, story wise, would fail without Parker preceding him as Spider-Man

Agreed on that. With this deal it'd be a better business decision to use Parker. We haven't gotten a solid Parker in 3 movies. Down the road I'm sure they'll use Miles but for now they're going to go with who people are familiar with. And I agree with it. I want Parker spidey in avengers like it was intended.

no I get that but I think Miles could easily survive and adapt well without that origin
There's nothing to Miles outside of legacy chasing. You'd essentially be adapting a wholly original character. If diversity is desired for Spider-man it'd be better to just make Peter Parker black.

I'd just like to point out that Anaron has somehow derailed what I'm assuming to be hundreds of MCU threads over this argument for a Black Widow movie, and the fact that they were able to succeed in the fucking Spider-Man to MCU thread is absolutely hilarious to me.

They had a movie, they didn't like it and went with Guardians instead. Guardians did gangbusters to the surprise of many. It was a good bet.

Slayven

I think comicsalliance had a piece on that.

I don't like it either but Marvel and DC don't give push to new IPs so we get legacies and temps.

I think it is just a waiting game, they will get tired of palette swapping and eventually want to do minority characters. That is why I am praying Jones, Cage, and Black Panther do well.

And as long as comic characters escape the Thunderball trap I will be good.

Top Bottom