• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Marvel meeting a hypothetical diversity quota does not hinge on the existence of a black widow movie (or a black spider-man for that matter)

We have black panther and captain marvel movies in the making.

We have a Jessica Jones show filming right now

Falcon and War Machine in the MCU

An Asian Hogun the Grim

A black Heimdal

Another tv show with two female leads of Asian descent

Could we please stop talking about Marvel and their supposed lack of diversity?

Plus a Luke Cage show next year. Marvel has really done a solid job of shoring up a great new cast of characters to keep the MCU going.

I imagine there's been discussion about this here already, but I thought I'd bring up the question of who to have as a villain for the movie. I think it's important that it not be someone we've already seen (Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Electro, etc.). I'd be open to them perhaps introducing Norman, but without having him become the Goblin quite yet.

So far the suggestion of adapting Kraven's last hunt is probably the best one I've heard so far.

BLACKLAC

I imagine there's been discussion about this here already, but I thought I'd bring up the question of who to have as a villain for the movie. I think it's important that it not be someone we've already seen (Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Electro, etc.). I'd be open to them perhaps introducing Norman, but without having him become the Goblin quite yet.

I've seen Mysterio recommended and I think he could actually work out pretty well since you could probably do some interesting things with his illusion capabilities. I also read that he's used gas which can cause hallucinations, which could be a possible way to highlight the origin if Peter started seeing Uncle Ben and all that.

Dan from Movie fights had a great pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnP4dLUxpk#t=12m25s

(should be timestamped 12:25)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Marvel meeting a hypothetical diversity quota does not hinge on the existence of a black widow movie (or a black spider-man for that matter)

An Asian Hogun the Grim

A black Heimdal

Not aired, not aired.
Sidekick, sidekick. (To a white übermensch and a billionaire)
Sidekick who is barely a character at all
Stringer is legit
Not aired.

It's way more precise to say that Marvel will not have a diversity issue. Right now, with what is actually available? I mean, using a guy with 3 minutes of screen time total is the definition of a stretch. But, they're working on it.

guek

Banned
Villains?

Scorpion
Smythe
The Jackal
Kraven
Tombstone
Mysterio

Lesser villains that could also be thrown in as goons:

Shocker
Montana, Ox, and Fancy Dan
Boomerang
Paste Pot Pete

Villains?

Scorpion- problematic, because that guy's origin tends to make JJJ out to be a villain and is kind of nonsensical.
Smythe- I can see this one coming eventually, with spider slayers, etc.
The Jackal- Clone bullshit? not if anyone at marvel has any sense.
Kraven- Should happen, really. Pair him up with chameleon even- this actually is a really good one since Russia has been playing supervillain lately.
Tombstone- I like the guy, but he's never really been an A-list threat on his own. His origin is heavily tied to Robbie Robertson also, who isn't established yet anywhere. This is probably a "film 3 or 4" villain because of this.

Shocker

shocker2_zps7d4dcf2b.png

guek

Banned
Scorpion- problematic, because that guy's origin tends to make JJJ out to be a villain and is kind of nonsensical.
Smythe- I can see this one coming eventually, with spider slayers, etc.

Replace JJJ with Smythe, have the Scorpion be a result of an improved super-spider formula, and have the finale include spider slayers using tech seen in Scorpion's suit.

Good old Herman needs definitly a role as a gone. Would love to see him on a big screen, but definitly not as the main villain.

when "sinister six" first came up as a serious movie pitch, a lot of us were saying that adapting superior foes is the only way to make a movie like that watchable.

Voror

So far the suggestion of adapting Kraven's last hunt is probably the best one I've heard so far.

Ehh, I don't know about that one. That story only really works with an older, experienced Spider-Man. His relationship with MJ was also important in some respects to that one as well.

But then, I've never been a huge fan of Kraven so he'd be among the last villain I'd like to see show up.

Dan from Movie fights had a great pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnP4dLUxpk#t=12m25s

(should be timestamped 12:25)

That actually is a great pitch and I'd been wondering how well Chameleon would work as a solo movie villain. His choice of Ansel Elgort for Spidey isn't bad either. I'd be good with this.

I actually wouldn't mind Shocker. If I recall, his intro story actually made him pretty threatening and had a great fight between him and Spidey.

RELIGHT

Banned

This is not AT ALL the argument I've made. It's not about white characters vs black characters. And it's not about male characters vs female characters. Again, I understand US racial and gender history and its correlation to the medium of entertainment. The original comment was essentially, let's make X female character a movie because she's female. I'm refuting that sentiment when it comes to race and gender. It should be instead, let's make this character a solo movie because they're a great character.

And yes, I'm against having Miles Morales as Spideman in the MCU in his his first appearance because, quite frankly, I don't want to see him. When I envisioned The Avengers I always dreamt about the possibility of having the Spiderman in it that I grew up with, the Parker Spideman. From a story and fan service standpoint, the moment when Spiderman, the Parker Spiderman, appears will be th culmination of what we've been asking for for over a decade.

A non Parket spidey would not fit in that moment. Sure he can come about after but this initial cherry popping need to be done by Peter Motherfucking Parker.

Moreover, and I'll go back to this again, it's more about the character than the gender or race and sorry I don't care how "Bob" would like to define the world and everyone in it, the comment "we have enough white male super heroes already" doesn't come from a place a agree with because of its implications. I am not saying there aren't a lot of "white male" characters but I am saying that to use race and gender as the foundation for your opinion is immature, short sighted, dangerous and irresponsible.

Ehh, I don't know about that one. That story only really works with an older, experienced Spider-Man. His relationship with MJ was also important in some respects to that one as well.

I disagree. That story was published in 1987- almost 30 years ago. (ouch!) You don't need spidey to be a grizzled veteran for that, and in fact it doesn't work if he is.

That story was largely about death. Kraven had his own issues with it and was looking to die. Spiderman was almost the flipside of that, coming to terms with his mortality, overcoming a crippling fear of death and embracing who he was. this is something you'd expect him to grapple with earlier in his career, not 10-15 years into beating the crap out goblins and gangsters and symbiotes. The Mary Jane angle was a small part of that but not central to the story.

But then, I've never been a huge fan of Kraven so he'd be among the last villain I'd like to see show up.

That actually is a great pitch and I'd been wondering how well Chameleon would work as a solo movie villain. His choice of Ansel Elgort for Spidey isn't bad either. I'd be good with this.

Kraven and Chameleon have a ton of history together. Chameleon isn't really a combatant (which is sort of a requirement for these movies) but Kraven is. You'll never see chameleon as the solo villain in a spidey film, but Kraven is the best guy to pair him with.

I actually wouldn't mind Shocker. If I recall, his intro story actually made him pretty threatening and had a great fight between him and Spidey.

shocker has been a joke villain for a long time. he only won his debut fight with spidey because pete had sprained an arm or something fighting someone else.

Cream

Banned
Make Spider-Man a known entity. He's been active for years. But he died, and everyone is of course sad about it. Bring in this new kid, he gets the powers, gets a suit. Kraven finds out about him. Is detirmined to kill Spiderman once and for all. Throw in Fury and Black Widow, bing bang boom.

Make Spider-Man a known entity. He's been active for years. But he died, and everyone is of course sad about it. Bring in this new kid, he gets the powers, gets a suit. Kraven finds out about him. Is detirmined to kill Spiderman once and for all. Throw in Fury and Black Widow, bing bang boom.

Oh, is this terrible script idea day? Why didn't anyone tell me, we can get to work on how to bring NFL superpro into the marvel universe.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yeah sorry Cream, that is a supremely bad idea.

and we get it RELIGHT. wanting more women & minorities in the MCU is "dangerous" and "immature."

gotcha. glad you're pretty much alone on that vs. MCU fans & creators.

histopher

An Asian Hogun the Grim

A black Heimdal

True. Tho I wish they would add Shang Chi to the Defenders or maybe Jimmy Woo to AoS.
I wonder if Amadeus Cho will show up again? He was in Hulk wasnt he?

ExAJtuo.gif

Voror

I disagree. That story was published in 1987- almost 30 years ago. (ouch!) You don't need spidey to be a grizzled veteran for that, and in fact it doesn't work if he is.

That story was largely about death. Kraven had his own issues with it and was looking to die. Spiderman was almost the flipside of that, coming to terms with his mortality, overcoming a crippling fear of death and embracing who he was. this is something you'd expect him to grapple with earlier in his career, not 10-15 years into beating the crap out goblins and gangsters and symbiotes. The Mary Jane angle was a small part of that but not central to the story.

Kraven and Chameleon have a ton of history together. Chameleon isn't really a combatant (which is sort of a requirement for these movies) but Kraven is. You'll never see chameleon as the solo villain in a spidey film, but Kraven is the best guy to pair him with.

shocker has been a joke villain for a long time. he only won his debut fight with spidey because pete had sprained an arm or something fighting someone else.

I don't necessarily mean as a grizzled veteran or anything like that, but I don't exactly think the story works with a Spider-Man in high school is all. Maybe a tad older. I think it could work perhaps as the next movie provided we get that far.

I suppose you could tailor that as their first meeting I guess or something along those lines.

They are one of the few examples I could think of where you could potentially have two villains in the movie and actually make it work since you'd pretty much be attacking Spider-Man from two separate fronts.

I'd forgotten that part actually. It would be cool to see him as sort of a cameo villain that Spider-Man was taking out in the beginning or perhaps at the end.

Sesha

Villains?

Scorpion
Smythe
The Jackal
Kraven
Tombstone
Mysterio

Shocker
Montana, Ox, and Fancy Dan
Boomerang
Paste Pot Pete

Knowing Marvel's penchant for goofy one-offs and cameos we will probably see Paste Pot Pete and Stilt-Man within the next 5 years of MCU.

chronos86

An Asian Hogun the Grim

A black Heimdal

But where's the Eskimo superheroes!?

Wazzy

Banned
yeah sorry Cream, that is a supremely bad idea.

and we get it RELIGHT. wanting more women & minorities in the MCU is "dangerous" and "immature."

gotcha. glad you're pretty much alone on that vs. MCU fans & creators.

lol seriously. It's kind of pathetic to see someone be so angry about people wanting diversity.

I don't necessarily mean as a grizzled veteran or anything like that, but I don't exactly think the story works with a Spider-Man in high school is all. Maybe a tad older. I think it could work perhaps as the next movie provided we get that far.

Are they doing "spider man in high school" again? I know we're not doing an origin film, but I think "spidey in high school" is also pretty much played out at this point. You can still have a relatively young spiderman (18-20) that's working at/for the bugle, which is where the majority of the interesting stories came from anyway. I freely admit high school spidey doesn't work well for KLH, but then again neither does Civil War, and we are definitely getting that one before we get anything else.

I suppose you could tailor that as their first meeting I guess or something along those lines.

and pretty easy to do. Kraven was established as someone that had been active for 70 years at that point and had killed everything worth killing. Spiderman being something new, interesting, and potentially not human at all but something "else" (which kraven was actually very convinced of) works just as well for their first meeting.

They are one of the few examples I could think of where you could potentially have two villains in the movie and actually make it work since you'd pretty much be attacking Spider-Man from two separate fronts.

yep. they're pretty complimentary. Kraven is extremely tactical and physical, but not really much of a schemer or plotter. Chameleon is exactly the opposite. he's all schemes and plots and not one for getting into fistfights- and those two have very good reasons for working together that keeps the film from being a supervillain hodgepodge like spidey 3 or ASM.

Blader

except how was Spider Man necessary for their their bigger plans if until late last year/this Febuary there was no guarantee whatsoever he was ever going to be leased to them?

Well, not being privy to Marvel's innermost plans, I really couldn't tell you :p

But I have to assume the reason they're rushing to get Spider-Man into Civil War next year, and then his own movie in 2017, is to have him be a part of Infinity War -- and having him there means re-establishing him in the MCU, with his own movie. Scarlett's Black Widow has already long been established in the MCU, so she doesn't need her own move to set her up for Infinity War in the same way Spidey would.

I think Spidey needs to stop being the kid with the secret identity. Jump straight to Civil War and make him say "I'm Peter Parker". That'll completely change the dynamics of the stories told in the universe to stop revolving around high school.

I guess they wanna stay in high school... :/

Wazzy

Banned
I think Spidey needs to stop being the kid with the secret identity. Jump straight to Civil War and make him say "I'm Peter Parker". That'll completely change the dynamics of the stories told in the universe to stop revolving around high school.

I guess they wanna stay in high school... :/

Meh. I like the identity aspect. If they're going to drop it, they should do it in Civil War, not have it already established.

except how was Spider Man necessary for their their bigger plans if until late last year/this Febuary there was no guarantee whatsoever he was ever going to be leased to them?

The talks with Sony regarding integrating spidey into the MCU are actually not new- there were leaked negotiations regarding getting the oscorp tower into Avengers several years ago that fell apart at the last second.

First, let's talk about this failed crossover. Now while the chances of seeing Spider-Man show up and help The Avengers was a pipe dream, making a small nod to the fact that they all exist in the same universe wasn't something the studios were against. Latino Review got word from Marvel exec Avi Arad and Columbia exec Matt Tolmach that there were plans to include the new Oscorp tower in the New York City skyline for The Avengers. Production designer J. Michael Riva (who sadly recently passed away) crafted such an awesome building for Oscorp that Disney and Columbia were willing to work together to fit it into the skyline. But at the time, Manhattan was already rendered and time didn't allow. That's a bummer.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/amazing-spider-man-almost-tied-into-avengers-and-now-venom/

Spiderman is extremely important to marvel as a property for several reasons, not the least of which being that they still have 100% of the merchandising rights for him. and this is not a small amount of money at ALL. What Batman brings in is practically a joke next to spidey and that's BATMAN. It's several times greater than all the avengers stuff combined.

BUqziJk.jpg

If Sony's mishandling of the property was putting that revenue stream in jeopardy (which is a real possibility) you can see how marvel would put integrating spidey into the MCU as a very high priority.

Meh. I like the identity aspect. If they're going to drop it, they should do it in Civil War, not have it already established.

the secret identity isn't going anywhere. Spidey preventing Aunt May from finding out who he is, as well as protecting her and MJ from the inevitable flood of supervillains that would come to kill him if his identity was public is such a part of the character that they'll never get rid of it.

every time they even TRIED to change that it ended up quickly reversed.

ugh. not a fan, but at least there's only about 1 movie you can do with that premise before time and aging actors inevitably forces you to move on to greener pastures.

Wazzy

Banned
the secret identity isn't going anywhere. Spidey preventing Aunt May from finding out who he is, as well as protecting her and MJ from the inevitable flood of supervillains that would come to kill him if his identity was public is such a part of the character that they'll never get rid of it.

every time they even TRIED to change that it ended up quickly reversed.

Which is why I wouldn't want it to happen. The issue is, that's exactly what happens in Civil War and they want Spider to play a big role. The identities aren't a huge issue in MCU but it will be interesting to see what part he plays.

Did you write the Amazing Spider-man movies?

Would explain a lot.

Voror

Are they doing "spider man in high school" again? I know we're not doing an origin film, but I think "spidey in high school" is also pretty much played out at this point. You can still have a relatively young spiderman (18-20) that's working at/for the bugle, which is where the majority of the interesting stories came from anyway. I freely admit high school spidey doesn't work well for KLH, but then again neither does Civil War, and we are definitely getting that one before we get anything else.

and pretty easy to do. Kraven was established as someone that had been active for 70 years at that point and had killed everything worth killing. Spiderman being something new, interesting, and potentially not human at all but something "else" (which kraven was actually very convinced of) works just as well for their first meeting.

yep. they're pretty complimentary. Kraven is extremely tactical and physical, but not really much of a schemer or plotter. Chameleon is exactly the opposite. he's all schemes and plots and not one for getting into fistfights- and those two have very good reasons for working together that keeps the film from being a supervillain hodgepodge like spidey 3 or ASM.

Yeah, we're doing him in high school again, but already established without the origin. I would have preferred at least college as well since he was in college far longer than he was in high school with a lot of the trademarks of Spider-Man being more in that era. That said, I do sort of get it since making him that young sort of puts him as the premier young superhero in the MCU, though having him in college probably does the same thing.

From what I understand, this really isn't like Civil War in the comics so I don't think that's a necessarily a problem.

He's definitely one of the easiest villains to set up I think since he's already an established hunter rather than some guy who gets in an accident and becomes a supervillain.

You could even maybe do something like have him dealing with the both of them separately before the reveal that they've been working together the whole time. Or have Peter start putting things together.

jph139

People talk like every Spider-Man adaptation ever has a high school setting. Only two movies (ASM and the original) were high school, and the original they graduate midway through. Half of the cartoons have him as an adult ('67, Spectacular, and Ultimate are the big exceptions). It's not like they NEVER do post-college Peter. And honestly, the guy was conceptualized as a teenage hero - there's nothing more teenager than high school. They can't keep him there forever, but it's the natural starting point.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
People talk like every Spider-Man adaptation ever has a high school setting. Only two movies (ASM and the original) were high school, and the original they graduate midway through. Half of the cartoons have him as an adult ('67, Spectacular, and Ultimate are the big exceptions). It's not like they NEVER do post-college Peter. And honestly, the guy was conceptualized as a teenage hero - there's nothing more teenager than high school. They can't keep him there forever, but it's the natural starting point.

I think it should just be clear that Parker is in an age group below Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye etc etc,so even a 18 - 24 peter parker is fine by me his time at Empire State is good stuff too

jmood88

This.

Also I'm getting tired of this gender and race pandering. Seriously, why even make that an argument? Black widow should get a movie because.....woman? Like wtf! I feel like it's the same crowd all over YouTube saying, "we've had enough white men as superheroes! Spidey should now be Miles Morales in the MCU!" It's a god awful race gender baiting argument and this shit needs to stop. You know what's so funny about that argument though, is that it's largely white men and women making it. I havent seen any non whites asking for Miles Morlaes as spidey in civil war.

I guess its about time we have a white kid from the Hamptons as Blade and we definitely need a solo Catwoman movie. Oh wait...
Man, this is such an awful post.

Peru

An Asian Hogun the Grim

A black Heimdal

When Black Panther arrives we'll have had 17 Marvel CU movies in a row with white, male leads, none with any other type. There is nothing 'supposed' about this total lack of diversity.

And as said before it has less to do with politics and more to do with actually representing the society we live in, the various types of people in this society, and about telling interesting stories, which hinges on not telling the same story over and over and over again.

LosDaddie

Banned

An Asian Hogun the Grim

A black Heimdal

Personally, I love reading those posts. Always good for a laugh. You just had to know how angry DC-GAF/MCU-haters were when Marvel announced their Phase 3 plans. It meant they no longer could use their favorite "diversity" card against Marvel.

But now with Spidey in the MCU causing a minor reshuffling in the Phase 3 schedule, which anyone with a sensible brain understands & accepts why, it allows a brief moment to use the diversity card again. And I say this as a minority myself.

I think my only disappointment with the Spidey-MCU announcement was the Inhumans movies being pushed outside of Phase 3

VeeP

Terrible. I'd rather have ASM 3 than this.

Slayven

Personally, I love reading those posts. Always good for a laugh. You just had to know how angry DC-GAF/MCU-haters were when Marvel announced their Phase 3 plans. It meant they no longer could use their favorite "diversity" card against Marvel.

But now with Spidey in the MCU causing a minor reshuffling in the Phase 3 schedule, which anyone with a sensible brain understands & accepts why, it allows a brief moment to use the diversity card again. And I say this as a minority myself.

I think my only disappointment with the Spidey-MCU announcement was the Inhumans movies being pushed outside of Phase 3

End of the day money talks.

Top Bottom