• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

I think it should just be clear that Parker is in an age group below Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye etc etc,so even a 18 - 24 peter parker is fine by me his time at Empire State is good stuff too

Agree. By the time civil war comes out, Cap, Tony, Falcon and Hawkeye would be/should be chronologically at or around 40 years old, and Thor is immortal. Widow is "younger" but is still basically a veteran assassin with a ton of baggage.

Even a 21 year old Spider-Man is going to come off as way, way younger than the rest of the MCU.

I support those saying that they should skip the backstory all together and just drop him
Dylan O'Brien specifically
into the MCU. Maybe like a 5-10 minute scene of him as an mature crime fighter getting recruited to help out the avengers cast in whatever way he can.

Marvel is finally able to have their biggest character in their movies. Of course they were gonna accommodate him. Besides, it's not as if plans/movies in the MCU haven't been moved around to accommodate other movies (maybe not to that length, but it's been done). That having been said, I can absolutely see why Black Panther/Carol fans are upset about getting moved up - you wait for these characters to get their movies and now they've been pushed backwards for "the new toy".

Personally, I love reading those posts. Always good for a laugh. You just had to know how angry DC-GAF/MCU-haters were when Marvel announced their Phase 3 plans. It meant they no longer could use their favorite "diversity" card against Marvel.

But now with Spidey in the MCU causing a minor reshuffling in the Phase 3 schedule, which anyone with a sensible brain understands & accepts why, it allows a brief moment to use the diversity card again. And I say this as a minority myself.

I think my only disappointment with the Spidey-MCU announcement was the Inhumans movies being pushed outside of Phase 3

I really doubt all the people who are angry about "diversity" are all DC fans/"MCU Haters", and it's really kinda shitty to just dismiss them as such.

After watching Spectacular Spider-Man, I too really, really want to see Tombstone in a Spidey film. It's cool having a villain who is, in some ways, way out of Spidey's league.

Hell, just do a mob war. Tombstone, Hammerhead, Kingpin. Kingpin can be in Spider-Man now!

Slayven

After watching Spectacular Spider-Man, I too really, really want to see Tombstone in a Spidey film. It's cool having a villain who is, in some ways, way out of Spidey's league.

Hell, just do a mob war. Tombstone, Hammerhead, Kingpin. Kingpin can be in Spider-Man now!
Spiderman has no league

z4UEFrN.jpg

That would definitely be a nice change of place from the usual Spidey movie stuff, and would tie Spidey to the MCU TV shows too... Always a big fan of the mob wars from the 80's... What's a street-level superhero without the mafia?

When Black Panther arrives we'll have had 17 Marvel CU movies in a row with white, male leads, none with any other type. There is nothing 'supposed' about this total lack of diversity.

And as said before it has less to do with politics and more to do with actually representing the society we live in, the various types of people in this society, and about telling interesting stories, which hinges on not telling the same story over and over and over again.

Thing is - and this is largely a consequence of Marvel's universe originating in the 60s, to be fair - Marvel doesn't actually have a lot of PoC or female characters who (a) have much history as solo protagonists and (b) fit their demonstrated film strategy.

Now, could Marvel do more color-blind or even gender-blind casting? Absolutely. Should they change their strategy to dig deeper for characters without much solo history, or to make street-level MCU films? That's a valid argument.

But as sympathetic as I am to the diversity criticism: assuming they stick with their current strategy, I don't think there are a ton of obvious female/POC candidates for solo films that Marvel is overlooking.

LosDaddie

Banned
End of the day money talks.

Exactly. It's great that Marvel was able to successfully build MCU without Spidey, but now that he's in, Marvel is going to do everything they can to get him in ASAP.

I really doubt all the people who are angry about "diversity" are all DC fans/"MCU Haters", and it's really kinda shitty to just dismiss them as such.

Not all, but a lot it from the same GAFers in every MCU thread.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Agree. By the time civil war comes out, Cap, Tony, Falcon and Hawkeye would be/should be chronologically at or around 40 years old, and Thor is immortal. Widow is "younger" but is still basically a veteran assassin with a ton of baggage.

Even a 21 year old Spider-Man is going to come off as way, way younger than the rest of the MCU.

yeah the younger class can be Spidey, Scarlet Witch and QS. Skye might get shoe horned in there at some point over the next few movies as well.

Bringing Tobey back would be worse than creating Ultron.

Saying Tobey should come back was what made Thor unworthy.

Dr. Doom and Reed Richards were best friends until Reed Richards suggested Tobey should come back

Tobey coming back in an alternate universe is what started the incursions.

Tobey coming back is what killed the Living Tribunal.

Amazing and 100% true!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The threat of Tobey coming back was so great, it influenced Joe Chill in a totally different universe to kill Bruce Wayne's parents.

I'm ready for Mysterio. Back just after ASM1 can come out, I had a whole idea about a trilogy that obviously isn't happening now, but he would still be a fun villain for the new series.

I thought that the Lizard was a good choice for movie 1 because he's a classic we hadn't seen yet and because they could link his and Spidey's origins together to create something interesting. I loved all the Oscorp stuff, it felt like it was setting up for a larger world and a larger plot with Norman.

For movie 2 I wanted Mysterio. I know that studios always want the sequel to be bigger with more action, so how do you do that without resorting to the old mistake of multiple villains? Mysterio. It's an excuse to do whatever you want. You want spider-man to fight a T-rex? Spider-man fights a T-rex. All bets are off with Mysterio. Keep hinting about Osborn, give some more tidbits, but don't blow your load just yet. Give Peter/Gwen's relationship more time to develop. Introduce JJJ as a side character, use Mysterio to frame Spidey for something that eternally pisses Jonah off.

And then how do you top that for movie 3? Emotionally. The third movie is where you reveal that Osborn has been pulling the strings the whole time. This is the movie where you reveal what happened to Peter's parents. And this is the movie where the Green Goblin finally shows up as the singular main villain and kills Gwen. It's the finale of this era of Spidey's life.

The villain of movie 4 could be Tobey Maguire because bringing him back is the reason Ben Reilly turned to dust.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm ready for Mysterio. Back just after ASM1 can come out, I had a whole idea about a trilogy that obviously isn't happening now, but he would still be a fun villain for the new series.

I thought that the Lizard was a good choice for movie 1 because he's a classic we hadn't seen yet and because they could link his and Spidey's origins together to create something interesting. I loved all the Oscorp stuff, it felt like it was setting up for a larger world and a larger plot with Norman.

For movie 2 I wanted Mysterio. I know that studios always want the sequel to be bigger with more action, so how do you do that without resorting to the old mistake of multiple villains? Mysterio. It's an excuse to do whatever you want. You want spider-man to fight a T-rex? Spider-man fights a T-rex. All bets are off with Mysterio. Keep hinting about Osborn, give some more tidbits, but don't blow your load just yet. Give Peter/Gwen's relationship more time to develop. Introduce JJJ as a side character, use Mysterio to frame Spidey for something that eternally pisses Jonah off.

And then how do you top that for movie 3? Emotionally. The third movie is where you reveal that Osborn has been pulling the strings the whole time. This is the movie where you reveal what happened to Peter's parents. And this is the movie where the Green Goblin finally shows up as the singular main villain and kills Gwen. It's the finale of this era of Spidey's life.

The villain of movie 4 could be Tobey Maguire because bringing him back is the reason Ben Reilly turned to dust.

"sounds dumb, let's just put his entire rogues gallery into one movie"
-avi arad

i'd love to see Mysterio in MCU SM

Skilletor

Bringing Tobey back would be worse than creating Ultron.

Saying Tobey should come back was what made Thor unworthy.

Dr. Doom and Reed Richards were best friends until Reed Richards suggested Tobey should come back

Tobey coming back in an alternate universe is what started the incursions.

Tobey coming back is what killed the Living Tribunal.

omg, I'm dead.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cheebo

Banned
I love how the leaks we got stressed Marvel felt Garfield was too old and they wanted a high-schooler Spider-Man film so some here assume that clearly means Tobey is possibly coming back.

I want a jacked up Tobey Maguire to play Eddie Brock when he shows up.

I want it to be revealed that Norman Osborn is Peter's father, and he's responsible for all the main Spider-man villains, and created 3-CPO.

Top Bottom