• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Why do I have a gut feeling that Doctor Strange will start production sooner than expected?

Eh, stranger things have happened.

I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK FOLKS PLEASE TIP YOUR WAITRESS

Voror

Have there been any other actors mentioned specifically to be of interest to Marvel?

Of the two, I'm more partial to O'Brien, but Lerman looks like he might have a much more free schedule, though I don't know if that would be a huge factor for them choosing.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amy-pascal-jockeys-seth-rogens-774570

Spider-Man

Sony was at a crossroads with the franchise, so it allowed Marvel Studios to become involved, and Marvel has every incentive to work with Pascal to reinvigorate the character. Owner Disney has a big play in Spidey merchandise, even if it gets only a small producing fee on the movies. Still, Marvel exerts strong control over its material, so it's hard to imagine Pascal will have a lot to say about how the character is portrayed in Avengers movies or even the Sony reboot. Marvel's Kevin Feige and his team likely will find a way to work their will. Pascal might be wise to yield, given their batting average.

Feige at the steering wheel for Spidey? Encouraging news, indeed.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I don't think Feige would include Spider-Man in an MCU Phase if he wasn't in control.

Yeah, there was no way that Feige would risk Sony meddling with the MCU just to include Spider-Man in it. The MCU has taken years and years to build up, and there's nothing quite like it as far as a "movie universe" would go, so the extent to Sony's control is probably going to be a name credit or something that makes it seem like they had more input than they actually had.

Abounder

Banned
I still think that's just a codeword for Sony product placement, and Marvel's going to treat Spider-Man right so it should be hands-off for Sony. Easy money for everyone.

nomis

Now that Arad is out, I don't think there's anyone at Sony who strives to retain authorial control over Spider-Man, particularly out of a sense that they could "do it greater justice" than Feige and Co. They just want money. Sony financially backing and therefore having complete stakes in a film moulded by Marvel Studios is a sure fire way to print money.

The only danger I see here is Sony's insistence on tying in the Spider-Man spinoffs, which really ruined the ASM series and which they are supposedly still intended on doing. Marvel can't really do anything about that if Sony still absolutely wants to do the same thing, but hopefully Sony realizes what their past mistakes were and keep those references to a minimum.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I had a dream last night that went into a nightmare;
I was at the first screening of Age of Ultron, and in the post credits, Spider-Man swings in, quips "looks like I'm a little late to the party.", Fury smiles and says "that's kind of your thing, isn't it, Peter?", Spidey pulls his mask and reveals the actor; Tobey Maguire.

At this point, I get a slight panic attack, but the scene isn't done. The camera pans to the shadows, and two big white eyes stare at the audience, as the shape steps out of the shadows, you can see black goo retracting and revealing Topher Grace and immediatly every MCU movie ever immediatly gets downgraded to absolute crap.

Like this;
X5GTKvh.gif

Except it's not just the Raimi Spider-Man-movies, but every MCU movie, starting with Incredible Hulk and ending with the former masterpiece that's Age of Ultron.

So I go into a complete meltdown mode, the audience is going "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" there's panic at the theatre, the people who left before the creditroll have no idea what's going on, someone climbs on top of a garbagebin and proclaims that everyone should NOT attend Age of Ultron, get a refund and go watch Fifty Shades pt 2 instead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I had a dream last night that went into a nightmare;
I was at the first screening of Age of Ultron, and in the post credits, Spider-Man swings in, quips "looks like I'm a little late to the party.", Fury smiles and says "that's kind of your thing, isn't it, Peter?", Spidey pulls his mask and reveals the actor; Tobey Maguire.

At this point, I get a slight panic attack, but the scene isn't done. The camera pans to the shadows, and two big white eyes stare at the audience, as the shape steps out of the shadows, you can see black goo retracting and revealing Topher Grace and immediatly every MCU movie ever immediatly gets downgraded to absolute crap.

Like this;
X5GTKvh.gif

Except it's not just the Raimi Spider-Man-movies, but every MCU movie, starting with Incredible Hulk and ending with the former masterpiece that's Age of Ultron.

So I go into a complete meltdown mode, the audience is going "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" there's panic at the theatre, the people who left before the creditroll have no idea what's going on, someone climbs on top of a garbagebin and proclaims that everyone should NOT attend Age of Ultron, get a refund and go watch Fifty Shades pt 2 instead.

Thanks for the awesome gif :D

NotLiquid

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amy-pascal-jockeys-seth-rogens-774570

Feige at the steering wheel for Spidey? Encouraging news, indeed.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. MovieBob speculated about this heavily as well roughly a week ago.

Their (Marvel's) short-term, immediate gain here is control of a few news cycles, another guaranteed "pop" at the next SDCC when the new Spider-Man joins The Avengers etc onstage and a known-quantity whose co-star/cameo stature can help sell an iffy project of their own: If it were to "leak," for example, that at one point in Ant-Man the characters would be onhand in a science lab where a random teenager gets bit by an irradiated spider, and then that same kid turns up in a post-credits scene seemingly developing spider-powers? Suddenly, no one will be worried about Ant-Man's opening weekend numbers. If Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was to end Season 2 on a stinger of Director Coulson calling for a trip to New York because "I want to know who THIS is." and holding up a Daily Bugle Spider-Man headline? ABC wouldn't be able to greenlight a Season 3 fast enough.

But Sony? Sony is getting the ONE thing that every movie studio in the world would kill for: An official endorsement from Marvel that audiences who want to keep up to date with the Marvel Cinematic Universe need to go see one of their (Sony's) movies, too. This is the unobtanium of Hollywood right now, so don't expect anything to happen on these new post-Amazing Spider-Man features without Marvel having said yes to it. (It's even being speculated on the business front that this is in itself a halfway measure - a staging ground for either Marvel eventually acquiring Spidey outright or Disney purchasing Sony Pictures.)

In short, it seems incredibly unlikely that Sony's influence is going to matter when the deal paints them as having the most to gain. Sony having the "final creative say-so" seems like it's the most minimal way of acknowledging that they're going to be relevant in the machinations. Marvel are probably the ones who are wrestling most of the control here.

Cuburt

Has anyone made an update to this picture yet, or something similar with Spider-Man being able to play with his friends? There has been so much of Spider-Man being left out, I was hoping there would already be more of Spidey getting included.

Has anyone made an update to this picture yet, or something similar with Spider-Man being able to play with his friends? There has been so much of Spider-Man being left out, I was hoping there would already be more of Spidey getting included.

Spidey pushing Black Panther and Captain Marvel down as everyone else cheers.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Even though it's a pre-existing panel, I like this since it just fits so well.

Spinluck

Out of the current candidates, I guess I'd go with Dylan Spidey. Something feels off about him though, has a slight case of douche face.

Either way, it would be a downgrade from Garfield. Much better than Lerman though.

Out of the current candidates, I guess I'd go with Dylan Spidey. Something feels off about him though, has a slight case of douche face.

Either way, it would be a downgrade from Garfield. Much better than Lerman though.

I don't see that. You should watch more video of him.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
this is a general question because i did not want to make a new thread about this, in ww2 the factions were called allies and axis, however what were they called ww1 were they also allies and axis or were the faction names different. Thanks

Loke13

Lol that's funny because that's like the exact opposite of his personality.

But Sony? Sony is getting the ONE thing that every movie studio in the world would kill for: An official endorsement from Marvel that audiences who want to keep up to date with the Marvel Cinematic Universe need to go see one of their (Sony's) movies, too. This is the unobtanium of Hollywood right now, so don't expect anything to happen on these new post-Amazing Spider-Man features without Marvel having said yes to it. (It's even being speculated on the business front that this is in itself a halfway measure - a staging ground for either Marvel eventually acquiring Spidey outright or Disney purchasing Sony Pictures.)

Oh whoa. I never thought of that. That is totally a possibility with Sony's current situation too. I'm curious if that makes sense for Disney outside of acquiring Spider-Man though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Donald Glover Will Leave the Spider-Man Campaigning to Fans This Time

When Sony was on the hunt for a new Spider-Man in 2010, the Internet answered with an inspired choice: Donald Glover, at the time best known for his work on TV’s cult favorite comedy Community. Editorials were penned, memes were shared, a Facebook page was launched, and #Donald4Spiderman became a trending topic on Twitter. Glover himself embraced the movement, attempting to retweet his way into an audition.

The role, of course, went to Andrew Garfield. But it’s 2015 and Sony is once again on the hunt for a new Spidey following the announcement that the webcrawler will finally cross over into Marvel’s Cinematic Universe. So when we sat down with him for a recent ‘Things We’ve Always Wondered’ interview (coming next week), we of course had to ask if he wants to be back in the running to play Peter Parker.

"Of course, I would always be honored to play Spider-Man," Glover said. "But I just want the Spider-Man movie to be dope, that’s all I want."

But Glover said he won’t be stumping for it this time around. “I’m leaving it to them,” he said of his fans. “Campaigning’s part of life, but for me, I’ve got a lot of stuff that I’m really excited about, and dropping it all… of course it’d be an honor. But it’s fine, if it comes, if not.”

Top Bottom