• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Cheebo

Banned
I highly doubt Disney is interested in getting in video games. They shut down their own games division and shut down Lucasarts soon as they bought Lucasfilm. They prefer to farm out their stuff. Like going to outside developers for Disney Infinity.

Ask & you shall receive. Though keep in mind, they hit the nail on the head as far as the release date of the MCU Spidey movie goes & him in Civil War. The only thing they got wrong was the money-split, but that was likely changed at the Spidey Summit. Though the profits part is near the end which references another SonyGate leak revealing how much TASM2 made in profits. When you factor in how much they spent in advertising, it's not that surprising.

Cheers. Not exactly official, but if it is true then that's damning for Sony.

Patriots7

It's effectively marvels if the the public eats it up. The big money with Spider-man has always and will always be merchandise, which Marvel and Disney control 100%. Spider-man films that fans love helps that. Sony would never be able to pull Spider-man out of the MCU without Massive backlash, we're talking boycotts for any non Marvel Studios created Spider-man film here. If Marvel kills it it's theirs because Sony damn sure isn't taking it from them.

Marvel doesn't need the money from the solo Spider-man films and they aren't paying a dime to create them. And honestly, Spider-man's rogues gallery enriches the MCU more than Spidey.... imo.
lol.

That is some monstrous reaching right there. Short of Disney buying back the Spider-Man rights, Sony is not going to be handcuffed from monetizing their largest franchise.

TASM2 only made $65 million in profits before subsidies, so keep that in mind. And worldwide TASM2 lost to GotG, DoFP, & Winter Soldier. When a talking raccoon makes more money than Spider-Man, you need to reevaluate what the hell you're doing.
Worldwide DoFP lost to GotG as well...

I don't think Fox needs to reevaluate anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree, please keep doing what you're doing with X-Men.

it's a sad thing when a movie can gross over $700 dollars at the box office and still not be considered a financial success....
Indeed. Gotta keep those budgets in check.

Neoxon

lol.

That is some monstrous reaching right there. Short of Disney buying back the Spider-Man rights, Sony is not going to be handcuffed from monetizing their largest franchise.
But Sony is pretty aware now that they got themselves into this mess in the first place. Plus Kevin Feige wouldn't have signed this deal if he didn't have a good amount of control over Spidey. This is why I made the car analogy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't know how much impact "Cut to the rest of the credits as the Spider-Man theme plays" would have if we don't know what the new Spider-Man's theme actually is?

The people who wanted Spider-Man to enter the MCU the most were most likely the fans, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think those people would recognize the theme.

Bizazedo

I don't think Fox needs to reevaluate anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree, please keep doing what you're doing with X-Men.
DoFP is overrated. It was decent, but not great. First Class was better.

Still better than both ASM movies, though, and Fox is not in any danger of bleeding out with X-men. Enough people like their version, it's safe.

Fantastic otoh....

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
This is Reddit, so bust out your salt bowls, but supposedly Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man.

Though to the guy's credit, the supposed leaker is the same guy who leaked the details of the Marvel-Sony Spider-Man deal weeks in advance. It's still Reddit, but it's something to consider.
H02Ma1J.gif

Please be true. Please. Please. Please.

Neoxon

Neat if true as I think he has the comedic timing down from what I've seen of his work. So much for that "95% sure it isn't going to be white" bs rumor.
To be fair, Jeff Sneider wants to be at least 99% sure before he officially reports on a rumor on The Wrap (he even went on the same podcast the following day saying it was just speculation since he wasn't for sure on the rumor).

Reddit guy put his ass out there with a tentative announce date (March 5th)... Wonder if we'll actually make it to that date before someone forces Marvel's hand, if this did in fact go down recently.

Dylan O'Brien would be a great pick, although I wanted Lerman at first.

(speaking of hanging ass - Sneider needs to take a couple swift kicks to his for how he handled every aspect of his 95% rumor. No part of his backpedaling was well done. "Oh, I don't report things unless I'm 99%, so 95% is like, you know" like there's a fuckin rumor thermometer sticking out of his ass or something.)

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
To be fair, Jeff Sneider wants to be at least 99% sure before he officially reports on a rumor on The Wrap (he even went on the same podcast the following day saying it was just speculation since he wasn't for sure on the rumor).

Oh that makes much more sense then. All the same I felt he was super excited over the idea of Non white guy being Spider-Man.

Neoxon

Reddit guy put his ass out there with a tentative announce date (March 5th)... Wonder if we'll actually make it to that date before someone forces Marvel's hand, if this did in fact go down recently.

(speaking of hanging ass - Sneider needs to take a couple swift kicks to his for how he handled every aspect of his 95% rumor)
I would have been happy with either Dylan or Logan to be honest, both great actors. But if true, I'm more than happy with Dylan as Spidey.

And this is the follow-up comment on the non-white Spidey rumor Jeff Sneider mentioned later on.

Neoxon

Oh that makes much more sense then. All the same I felt he was super excited over the idea of Non white guy being Spider-Man.
It was actually what Jeff Sneider wanted, a fact he mentioned on the podcast following the reveal of the Marvel-Sony deal.

Rootbeer

Banned
i need to watch teen wolf. not just because of this, but doubly so because of this.

he looks the part, but he'll definitely be the cutest peter we've had yet. guess it's no surprise that they keep pushing 'cuter' with each iteration, but always pictured peter as a fairly plain guy in my head. Even Garfield is a bit on the geeky side. Dylan is rather a pretty boy type.

RangerX

Banned
If this is true I'd be very happy. I haven't seen much any of this guys work but from what I've seen he seems like the perfect fit. I'll give the maze runner a watch tonight.

Mumei

(speaking of hanging ass - Sneider needs to take a couple swift kicks to his for how he handled every aspect of his 95% rumor. No part of his backpedaling was well done. "Oh, I don't report things unless I'm 99%, so 95% is like, you know" like there's a fuckin rumor thermometer sticking out of his ass or something.)

I feel very immature right now after the case of the giggles I just caught.

And I'm very happy if O'Brien was picked.

Neoxon

According to the supposed leaker, Logan Lerman was going to get the role before the casting guys saw Dylan O'Brien's spectacular audition (pun intended).

Rootbeer

Banned
According to the supposed leaker, Logan Lerman was going to get the role before the casting guys saw Dylan O'Brien's spectacular audition (pun intended).

I love Logan but if they had to pass him over, I think they passed him over for the right guy.

I'd love to see Logan do something Marvel though.

anaron

I wouldn't say Dylan is a "pretty boy" at all. Lerman fits that description far more

the combo of nutjob teen wolf fans and MCU fans crossing over though is unsettling

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wouldn't say Dylan is a "pretty boy" at all. Lerman fits that description far more

the combo of nutjob teen wolf fans and MCU fans crossing over though is unsettling
And don't forget the Sherlock fandom with Cumberbatch cast as Strange. Shit will get nuts lol.

Top Bottom