• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

I think they are a cool nerf that at the same time serves to exemplify how Peter Parker has quite the brain on him.

Not to mention it adds tension to his fights... There's a constant threat of running out of web fluid when he needs it most, and he's forced to think outside of the box when it happens.

That's one thing that the ASM movies didn't really take advantage of though.

I think they are a cool nerf that at the same time serves to exemplify how Peter Parker has quite the brain on him.

If they can write a Peter who comes across as sufficiently brainy enough to design (and convincingly manufacture!) the web shooters, sure.

Maybe play up the Curt Connors relationship more if they don't want Peter to be an un-relatable genius. Or hell, Tony Stark.

That's one thing that the ASM movies didn't really take advantage of though.

Didn't his shooters (or one of them) get damaged in a fight in one of the movies? I could be wrong though.

It also bothered me that it was Gwen in the movies that was far smarter than Peter and ended up helping him design a lot of his stuff. I could be remembering wrong, damn movies are so forgettable.
If they can write a Peter who comes across as sufficiently brainy enough to design (and convincingly manufacture!) the web shooters, sure.
Why would that be an "if"? That's the way it needs to be, period. Parker needs to join Stark and Banner to form the genius trifecta.

Maybe play up the Curt Connors relationship more if they don't want Peter to be an un-relatable genius. Or hell, Tony Stark.
Why would he be an "un-relatable" genius? This is not asshole Richards we're talking about. It's Peter Parker. He needs to be a lovable goof who's also damn smart, even if he's in his 20s.

Slayven

Write him just like the comics, exactly.

Didn't his shooters (or one of them) get damaged in a fight in one of the movies? I could be wrong though.

It also bothered me that it was Gwen in the movies that was far smarter than Peter and ended up helping him design a lot of his stuff. I could be remembering wrong, damn movies are so forgettable.

Yeah, he was figuring out how to modify the web fluid in ASM 2. But as you mentioned Gwen gave him the idea on how to solve it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuck all this speculation nonsense about the Spidey role. I'm tired of it. Especially after the whole Dylan O'Brien deal.
Yep. I can't help myself and I'll still google whatever name people throw out there, but I don't care about the "rumors" anymore. I just want them to announce someone already and get this over with.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/574924904304259072

https://instagram.com/p/0AjcPZDpuc/

Umberto Gonzalez of Latino Review is saying that Sam Strike of East Enders may have been offered the role of Spider-Man.

11049372_501411129996659_1896284109_n.jpg

Yep. I can't help myself and I'll still google whatever name people throw out there, but I don't care about the "rumors" anymore. I just want them to announce someone already and get this over with.

Well, the minute they announce someone, the discussion will go from "who is it?" to "this guy? Really?" and then the madness will begin. :p

Busty

Banned
If true, stress the IF, then it's interesting that Sony would again cast a British actor in the role of Peter Parker.

I'd have thought that they would have gone American this time around. Still, Amy Pascal does love her British actors.

Mumei

Scene with Sam Strike from Eastenders. Based on this, I don't like him as Peter Parker but I have only seen this one scene.

This is probably one of his better scenes, though it's a serious one, not light-hearted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMFjLiYSXw

I don't see it, myself. He's actually guilty of one of my (very few) pet peeves relating to acting in that scene Broken Joystick linked to - if you sound like you're crying, I need to see tears. It bothers me when there's cathartic "sobbing", and then the actor raises his face and it's dry. What gives? I mean, I get that tears are more difficult to produce for some actors but you'd think that's something they'd want to make happen for a scene like that.

I'm not sure I buy the conclusion that it's Marvel-related, though. Does it make sense for him or his manager to be tweeting about it at this stage, if that is the case?

Penguin

Like I said, seemed more like a conclusion than a rumor... backpedaling on it already...

Just got updated from agency sources on that whole @samstrike SPIDER-MAN speculation & obtained new concrete info @SamStrike probably got cast in either X-MEN: APOCALYPSE or DEADPOOL because SPIDER-MAN is still actively casting & reading a lot of teen actors to play 15 yrs old. Yes, they're going that young per agency sources

Busty

Banned
15 year old Spider-Man? I don't know what to think. Might be good or bad.

A Spider Man film with a 15 yo protagonist will either make it a HUGE smash with the young adult crowd or severely limit the amount of business it will do with older audiences.

Could it be that Sony/Marvel are aiming this new Spider Man film at a 'kiddy' audience bypassing the older demographic altogether.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I don't see it, myself. He's actually guilty of one of my (very few) pet peeves relating to acting in that scene Broken Joystick linked to - if you sound like you're crying, I need to see tears. It bothers me when there's cathartic "sobbing", and then the actor raises his face and it's dry. What gives? I mean, I get that tears are more difficult to produce for some actors but you'd think that's something they'd want to make happen for a scene like that.

I'm not sure I buy the conclusion that it's Marvel-related, though. Does it make sense for him or his manager to be tweeting about it at this stage, if that is the case?

Yeah, that annoys me too. Again, I wouldn't say he's a bad actor, but he's not great either. He's not going to be Spider-Man.

That's Latino Review... hit and miss with their scoops.

It's not even a Latino Review rumour. It's just pure speculation/an attempt to connect the dots.

Mumei

A Spider Man film with a 15 yo protagonist will either make it a HUGE smash with the young adult crowd or severely limit the amount of business it will do with older audiences.

Could it be that Sony/Marvel are aiming this new Spider Man film at a 'kiddy' audience bypassing the older demographic altogether.

I've been a high school setting apologist, but the idea of him being a freshman honestly makes me lose interest. I'd prefer ~16 - 17.

Blader

That's Latino Review... hit and miss with their scoops.

Far be it from me to defend Latino Review, but that claim is a little more substantial than "Some guy's manager says he landed a big role...Spider-Man?!"

(an association that wasn't even made in the original tweets! just random people jumping to conclusions)

I've been a high school setting apologist, but the idea of him being a freshman honestly makes me lose interest. I'd prefer ~16 - 17.

Well he'd be 16-17 by the time they start shooting next year! :p

I thought Latino Review said casting was still months away when they stated Drew Goddard was directing?

Chavez said the role was months (which could be as little as two) away. Gonzales' initial guesswork was proven wrong, and what he was told as a correction apparently lines up with Chavez's initial statement regarding very young (sub-20 yrs old) actors auditioning/reading for the role currently.

The process of narrowing down all these reads/auditions could very well take a couple months. Or could have been underway for a couple weeks by the time Chavez's report first hit.

Penguin

I thought Latino Review said casting was still months away when they stated Drew Goddard was directing?

It seems like most the time they just do stuff because it will get people checking em out

Not a fan of how this dude in particular likes to drop his stuff

Since he seems to bask in the attention a little too much

Mumei

Anything below junior would be a goddamn shame.

Mm. Maybe sophomore in his hypothetical appearance in Civil War, junior in the standalone.

I've begun to resign myself to the fact that it doesn't appear that they'll be going in a direction that I am interested in, though.

PopFisto

Banned
It was obvious to me Spidey would be a kid in this incarnation, and its smart and cool.

All the supes are men, having a kid juxtapose them will be awesome. Plus, Spidey is obviously going to try out for the Avengers and fail, like he tried out for FF in the very first issues, and failed cuz he's too much of a kid.

As cool as this all is, still kinda woulda prefered spidey stay in his own movies. This whole overlap, expanded universe stuff handicaps storytelling, just like in the comics. Kills creativity. Iron Man2, Thor 1 and 2, Antman, all these directors confirm this.

It won't be as bad as the comics as there aren't many movies, so its easier to handle, but prefer it if they are having their own cool little adventures, made by unique directors with a vision. Now its all just samey and blah. Still, quite fun I will admit.

Everything that's rumored about this reboot makes it seem like they are aiming for a live action version of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon... Which doesn't sound very appealing at all.

Top Bottom