• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only counts as combat if you're in combat, otherwise it's stealth knockout.

Guess my firing the bolt just as the dude detected me fully is what made it count as a combat.

I'm also not liking its "gas" isn't able to be exploited on multiple enemies in a cluster. :/ Reason why I picked it over the Stungun: To have a few more "gas grenades" but in a bolt and with a more accurate ping to get more enemies in a group.

Gaz_RB

Guess my firing the bolt just as the dude detected me fully is what made it count as a combat.

I'm also not liking its "gas" isn't able to be exploited on multiple enemies in a cluster. :/ Reason why I picked it over the Stungun: To have a few more "gas grenades" but in a bolt and with a more accurate ping to get more enemies in a group.

I've gotten a group before. And it kind of lingers too for a few seconds to get some guards passing through. Try practicing your aim on one of Charlie's missions. Gas crossbow makes those levels a joke.

TheSeks

I've gotten a group before. And it kind of lingers too for a few seconds to get some guards passing through. Try practicing your aim on one of Charlie's missions. Gas crossbow makes those levels a joke.

Yeah, that's why I changed from the stungun as soon as I saw it while talking to Charlie but I haven't been able to exploit that to my advantage.

Gaz_RB

Yeah, that's why I changed from the stungun as soon as I saw it while talking to Charlie but I haven't been able to exploit that to my advantage.

I usually rapid fire 3 in a big group real fast and it tends to do the trick. There's enough ammo boxes on those maps that ammo is never and issue.

TheSeks

Ammo boxes don't work on Perfectionist?

I'd just reload the checkpoint if I could get them all easy enough with all these gadgets to where I beat the wave

I assume side missions are optional?

Grims are tough. No checkpoints or saving. :(

Not a fan of dogs or the robots rovers :(

Does sparing or killing guys during the cutscenes change anything?

jmizzal

Also, does the freezing and bugs occur on all platforms equally?

It seems all versions have there bugs, 360 and PS3 has single player bugs, I havent seen any in the WiiU version. WiiU version has online issues and we know a patch is coming soon.

Keep in mind WiiU version wasnt done by the same team as PS360 so thats why each version has different bugs.

I dont know bout PC

Nokterian

Anyone wanna add me to Uplay? Yes finally caved in and bought the C.E with sam figurine looks pretty cool. Nickname on uplay is Ozgiliath and playing on pc.

Frillen

I assume side missions are optional?

Grims are tough. No checkpoints or saving. :(

Not a fan of dogs or the robots rovers :(

Does sparing or killing guys during the cutscenes change anything?

Side missions are optional, yes. The second Grim mission was a pain in the ass for me, even though it wasn't really that hard. My neighbor must have heard my swearing during that one, lol.

Gaz_RB

Should I feel bad for buying the Weapons DLC?

The G36c is the best gun ever made.. I CAVED ALRIGHT?!?!? I'M WEAK!!

G36C is always my gun in every game it's in.

I bought that shit too. And I'll probably buy every new piece of DLC they put out too... I love this damn game.

Now Ubi stop being jerks and let me buy Billionaire's Yacht. I need more ghost missions in my life.

DesertFox

Never noticed it before but the gear and weapons you choose shows up in the cutscenes.

I love that.

Also, not sure if this is a bug that's just affecting me or a design flaw - I'll have my crossbow equipped 100% of the time but in cutscenes, Sam has his silenced pistol out. When I exit the cutscene, my pistol is equipped. I go to knock out an enemy with my crossbow, only to accidentally kill them with my pistol.

*Start - Restart from last checkpoint*

*sigh...*

dab0ne

Side missions are optional, yes. The second Grim mission was a pain in the ass for me, even though it wasn't really that hard. My neighbor must have heard my swearing during that one, lol.

I just feel like the AI isn't up to where it should be. For example. I have my stealth maxed and when I creep up on a heavily armored dude he sees me unless I'm perfectly behind him. Or he'll turn around as if he heard me. A dude with that much armor on shouldn't be able to see out of his peripheral at all.

Danny 117

I just feel like the AI isn't up to where it should be. For example. I have my stealth maxed and when I creep up on a heavily armored dude he sees me unless I'm perfectly behind him. Or he'll turn around as if he heard me. A dude with that much armor on shouldn't be able to see out of his peripheral at all.

They've come a long way from this:

ibs5op523iurvrztxk7.gif

and this:

ibyniMta1Z2WEi.gif

:p

Just had two amazing svm classic matched with some randoms on Wii U. My partner was young and talked too much, but I can't deny he had the skills.

Our last hack point as mercs was a 3 minute face off of us holding shit down with mines and mines while they threw themselves at us.
I was down to 8 bullets by the time the match ended. So good.

I agree with you for the big guys wearing all the head/face gear. Their peripheral spider sense is tuned way too high. But I appreciate the mostly 180 field of vision for the rest.

One question about HVTs - for some reason I've been unable to capture them lately using anything other then getting right behind them and hitting X to capture. I could've sworn I've shock stunned them or sleeping gassed them and still been able to capture, bag and tag before, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I'll drop them non-lethally, but never get the option to bag and tag. They're treated as any other body. Anybody else running into this? Can you only capture them when standing?

OK, one more thing ;P I'm still not feeling assault. There is no benefit to going loud, ever, but plenty of drawbacks. Ubi needs to fine tune this if they want to offer up all those loud guns. Or am I missing something? Why go loud when there are silenced weapons that are just as effective?

Gaz_RB

I agree with you for the big guys wearing all the head/face gear. Their peripheral spider sense is tuned way too high. But I appreciate the mostly 180 field of vision for the rest.

One question about HVTs - for some reason I've been unable to capture them lately using anything other then getting right behind them and hitting X to capture. I could've sworn I've shock stunned them or sleeping gassed them and still been able to capture, bag and tag before, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I'll drop them non-lethally, but never get the option to bag and tag. They're treated as any other body. Anybody else running into this? Can you only capture them when standing?

OK, one more thing ;P I'm still not feeling assault. There is no benefit to going loud, ever, but plenty of drawbacks. Ubi needs to fine tune this if they want to offer up all those loud guns. Or am I missing something? Why go loud when there are silenced weapons that are just as effective?

I can bag and tag on the ground just fine, that's strange...

And as for loud weapons. After I've just ghosted Abandoned Mill and I need to let of some steam I go shoot up one of Charlie's missions with an AK. Really like the shooting in this game, surprisingly. As for loud gun strategy, its a good way to lure a lot of enemies into an ambush, then go silent and stab them all in the neck as they head to your last position. The key to this game is that you can play any way you. If you want to play Splinter Cell: Gears of War, Ubi lets you.

Kazerei

Banned

Silenced weapons really aren't as effective though, especially against armored enemies. Those enemies can basically only be taken down by melee from above/below/behind, or by shooting them with loud weapons. Silenced weapons do nothing.

And as for loud weapons. After I've just ghosted Abandoned Mill and I need to let of some steam I go shoot up one of Charlie's missions with an AK. Really like the shooting in this game, surprisingly. As for loud gun strategy, its a good way to lure a lot of enemies into an ambush, then go silent and stab them all in the neck as they head to your last position. The key to this game is that you can play any way you. If you want to play Splinter Cell: Gears of War, Ubi lets you.
Definitely agree on the choices of offer and how much better the aiming and firing is than Conviction, by miles and miles and miles.

But I mean more in terms of going for perfect assault runs. In those cases you want to be spotted as evading is panther style. So you want to make noise, be seen, go loud. In response the game will throw reinforcements your way from several spawn closets, armored head to toe and wearing night vision goggles, running dogs, precision thrown frags, and the AI will sprint to get a bead and surround you. Now its at times like that you just have to stop and wonder what spectacular failure of reasoning led you to adopt these tactics ;P

I say this because I've been perfecting a nice medley loadout. 5.7, silenced sniper rifle, with frags, incendiaries, mines, tri-rotor, shock cam, and a full loadout of trickery in the crossbow (sleeping gas, shocks, noise, emp). Why make noise when you can take the high ground and snipe before working your way inside for some panther action?

But yeah, choice is good. It just seems like Assault is only a good choice when you don't have a choice.

Silenced weapons really aren't as effective though, especially against armored enemies. Those enemies can basically only be taken down by melee from above/below/behind, or by shooting them with loud weapons. Silenced weapons do nothing.
With armor piercing rounds they do. My silenced sniper rifle with AP rounds will take anybody but the turtle-armored enemies down in one hit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In this analysis the frame rate drops to 11, yes eleven, in a freaking cut scene. This is beyond ridiculous. I don't know if the day one patch fixed this, the guys from the video didn't mention anything.
Are you certain you're not looking at the skipping that occurs while new data is streamed in (which often does occur during cutscenes). This happens pretty frequently even on the PC and manifests itself in the way of massive framerate dips with hitches.

DesertFox

snip...
I say this because I've been perfecting a nice medley loadout. 5.7, silenced sniper rifle, with frags, incendiaries, mines, tri-rotor, shock cam, and a full loadout of trickery in the crossbow (sleeping gas, shocks, noise, emp). Why make noise when you can take the high ground and snipe before working your way inside for some panther action?
..snip

This post just got me very excited to hurry up and finish the game on my ghost playthrough and grab a silenced sniper rifle for my panther playthrough.

Which sniper rifle?
Using the prototype one at the moment. Is it the only that can one shot armored enemies?

And just to be sure the walking tank guys do seem to be nearly impervious. I save my incendiaries for them, or lure them into ambushes.

This post just got me very excited to hurry up and finish the game on my ghost playthrough and grab a silenced sniper rifle for my panther playthrough.
Got to play some co-op missions over the weekend and went in as counter-snipe, which seemed to fit Briggs. And like you'd expect its great, except when things get more close quarters and hectic. Still working out some of the kinks, but after a runthrough of silent evasion, it *is* nice to set up roost on high ground and thin the herd a bit.

Blacklist actually makes very nice pure sniper game with those Kobin missions.

69wpm

Are you certain you're not looking at the skipping that occurs while new data is streamed in (which often does occur during cutscenes). This happens pretty frequently even on the PC and manifests itself in the way of massive framerate dips with hitches.

It could be. It would be interesting to see if there is any difference between the disc version and eShop download in this regard.

strafer

Using the prototype one at the moment. Is it the only that can one shot armored enemies?

And just to be sure the walking tank guys do seem to be nearly impervious. I save my incendiaries for them, or lure them into ambushes.

I'm gonna check that out. Haven't checked out the weapon selection that much.

By the way, is the classic SC-20K in the game? Would be cool as a trip down memory lane.

Sam_SC-20K.jpg

Grisby

Why have a stupid set piece in the final co-op mission if its not going to freaking work, god dammit.

40 minutes lost because of a scripting bug or something.

Gaz_RB

By the way, is the classic SC-20K in the game? Would be cool as a trip down memory lane.

Sam_SC-20K.jpg

The upgraded version is, the SC-40K.
Great gun, my weapon of choice on my panther loadout.

Why have a stupid set piece in the final co-op mission if its not going to freaking work, god dammit.

40 minutes lost because of a scripting bug or something.

Same thing happened to me. Not so bad the first time, as it was a fun mission.

The second and third time, however...

Who thought the starting menu in this game would be a good idea? God, its so ass. Completely hampers your ability to get to what mode you want to play quickly.

TheSeks

The SC-2000 is just the FN-2000. So no, not technically. But there is a "SC-4000" that is nothing like the FN-2000 in the game. You have to upgrade Charlies section of the plane to get it.

The SC-2000 is just the FN-2000. So no, not technically. But there is a "SC-4000" that is nothing like the FN-2000 in the game. You have to upgrade Charlies section of the plane to get it.

F2000, not FN2000. It is made by FN, but the weapon is called the F2000 (or FS2000 for semi-auto variant).

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Completed the single player on wii u. Do awesome. I hate torn frames so it's easily the best version to me. Not a problem with it at all.

Grisby

Hey Gaz, you were able to finish that last co-op mission eventually though right? Was probably going to give it another shot tonight.

I've finished all of the side stuff except for that.

Gaz_RB

Hey Gaz, you were able to finish that last co-op mission eventually though right? Was probably going to give it another shot tonight.

I've finished all of the side stuff except for that.

Yeah. The scripting issue only came up when one of us died. And someone on here might have said unplug and replug in your controller? Idk, I got it eventually. Good luck!

Top Bottom