• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Grisby

Yeah. The scripting issue only came up when one of us died. And someone on here might have said unplug and replug in your controller? Idk, I got it eventually. Good luck!
That makes sense because it happened after the first death. I'll just put it on Rookie.

danielcw

Dear God, I have no idea how somebody can play this with German voices, it's horrible.

It's far from horrible, imho, and my preferred choice.
Sam's voice wins, and the rest are at least familiar, if you played the previous games.
In the grand sheme of German video game voice acting, I would give it a C

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Still thinking of picking this up. Is there a DF analysis yet?
Yes, I finished writing up the DF analysis this morning, and you might be surprised by some of the differences (article publishes tomorrow most likely).

As a hint of how the verdict unfolds, I also experienced the same freezing issues as you guys (albeit during single player rather than just multi). It has some interesting benefits though.

Kazerei

Banned
With armor piercing rounds they do. My silenced sniper rifle with AP rounds will take anybody but the turtle-armored enemies down in one hit.

Yeah, I have a silenced sniper rifle with AP rounds too, and it's freaking awesome. It takes out most enemies in one hit, but those turtle-armored enemies are like everywhere in the last missions of the game. At that point, full-on assault with loud weapons and explosives is probably easier than panther-ing them silently.

strafer

he was chloes husband in 24 right? lol

Yep. Morris.

They even modeled him.

RcO09te.jpg

AJ_Wings

So it's been like four days and Steam still won't let me play the bloody thing. Stuck in it's "Pre-load" state for no apparent reason and Valve still haven't said or done anything about it. *sigh*

Gaz_RB

The ending is pretty cool. The actor that voiced the villian was great.

Yeah, he did a really smooth job. Makes a good villain.

While I didn't like the QuickTime event at the end, I think the two different ways that Briggs and Sam executed the Fifth Freedom was pretty awesome. And the fact that you play as Briggs most the mission was surprising. I knew they had the mask on for a reason... Great game, looking forward to future 4th Echelon adventures.

A big fuck you to ubisoft for leaving so many game breaking bugs in this game. Just not acceptable. My wife and I had been enjoying playing this co-op until these bugs started completing ruining the game. Several times the context sensitive partner actions like the ziplines or dual breeches have failed to show the A button prompt making it impossible to move on forcing us to reload checkpoints wasting hours of progress.

The biggest and worst game breaking bug came after spending hours trying to pass one of the last check points on the Abandoned City co-op mission. We finally got to what I assume is the last part of the mission
where Fisher and Briggs are injured lying on the ground after the evac chopper gets taken out. You are forced to take down a bunch of enemies while protecting someone and being unable to move.
. All the enemies have been eliminated but the game refuses to load the next section. So we are sitting there unable to move.

NOT HAPPY!

Just attempted Abandoned City co-op on Realisitic again AND THE SAME GAME-BREAKING GLITCH occurred AGAIN. It's literally impossible for me to progress any further in the CO-OP only missions because of this bug. WTF. Has anyone else not experienced this?? Spent about 4 hours on this mission for nothing.

Gaz_RB

Just attempted Abandoned City co-op on Realisitic again AND THE SAME GAME-BREAKING GLITCH occurred AGAIN. It's literally impossible for me to progress any further in the CO-OP only missions because of this bug. WTF. Has anyone else not experienced this?? Spent about 4 hours on this mission for nothing.

Yeah it's been popping up a lot if you read a few pages back. Not dying at that point seems to be the way to go. Hope it gets patched soon, as that's actually a good mission.

Pyronite

Yes, I finished writing up the DF analysis this morning, and you might be surprised by some of the differences (article publishes tomorrow most likely).

As a hint of how the verdict unfolds, I also experienced the same freezing issues as you guys (albeit during single player rather than just multi). It has some interesting benefits though.

Hey, I didn't know we had a DF writer here in our midst! (I should have known, with 1.5k+ posts.)

Looking forward to the analysis.

Yeah it's been popping up a lot if you read a few pages back. Not dying at that point seems to be the way to go. Hope it gets patched soon, as that's actually a good mission.

Yeah I was just checking back then and noticed you and Gribsy experienced it.

Might have to play through on easiest setting and come back later and do it on Realistic or Perfectionist.

That hacking section with the 4 computers is so difficult just before the last area too making it even worse!

I love that random solider who is singing to himself completely out of tone about loving someone like a squirrel. Hilarious. I felt bad every time I took him out.

Single player has been very enjoyable so far. Playing on realistic. Have only played Conviction previously.

Danny 117

Ghosted the campaign on realistic. Loved it for the most part, a few frustrating sessions with a lot of trial and error but that's due to the play style I adopted I guess.

Story: 7/10

Gameplay: solid 9/10
I really enjoyed playing the game. It was rewarding to ghost past a group of enemies. Whilst this game still isn't up there with chaos theory, I'd place it higher than PT, DA and Conviction. The fact that the 3 play styles means 3 playthroughs gives great value for my money.

Spys vs Mercs is a lot of fun as well. Classic mode nails the tension of the old SvM and with a patch it can be even better. Blacklist SvM needs some re balancing and host migration needs to be ... you know.. actually coded properly so I'm not kicked to the lobby after 15 minutes in a match.

Did anyone notice in the kobin diamond mine mission, when you slide down the ventilation shaft, Sam is like "thought we were done with those" and Grim is like "you have to respect the classics" or something. Pretty funny how the developers 'communicated' to us through Grim. Lol.

Onikaan

Finished.

Well I'll agree with the general consensus, best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory.

Will need to try a pure Ghost playthrough.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Been playing bits and pieces for the past couple days...

I like it. It left a VERY poor first impression from the first hour, but it got much better as it went along. The general feel of moving around feels pretty good, and stealthily killing guys feels really satisfying.

That said, I don't give a fuck about anything coming out of any of the characters' mouths. I don't care for Tom Clancy military bullshit, and that's always been the case. Talking to your crew in-between missions doesn't improve anything. Its like I'm talking to a bunch of walking case-files, and they can only speak in acronyms and code words (and you're expected to know and care about all of it from the start).

I don't care at all for Fisher's voice either. I'm not an Ironside purist in any way, but this guy isn't helping at all. He's just so fucking bland, and the script doesn't help him in the slightest.

The actual game is pretty fun (outside of the first couple missions) - i just have to move past all the boring fucking dialogue to get to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1236622_10100302521842615_231684949_n.jpg

FINALLY. That cross-bow really helps. But I didn't master ghost on it probably because I only did 5 waves. :/

Think I'm really going to do the story missions before I finish these side-missions up. They're a bit of a bear with trying to no-kill ghost right now.

demolitio

Jesus, if they would just fix the bugs all over this game, I would actually be quite impressed. I've never crashed so much in my life or had so many weird bugs occur in every damn mission to where it actually ruins a perfect mission play-through.

The context sensitive bullshit is annoying too, but at least you can combat it by being extra cautious. Nothing worse than going to knock a guard out just to have you close the door a few feet behind you instead of hitting the guy right in front of you and then having him alerted by the mysterious door closing...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The context sensitive bullshit is annoying too, but at least you can combat it by being extra cautious. Nothing worse than going to knock a guard out just to have you close the door a few feet behind you instead of hitting the guy right in front of you and then having him alerted by the mysterious door closing...

What platform you on? On PS3 the contextual stuff is on X button and melee/knockout is the Square button so we don't get that problem.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I just saw a dog open a door. I'm done guys.

BTW my friend is playing like he doesn't give a shit so that makes it more hilarious.

MAX PAYMENT

Finished the game on Realistic. Great game.

Now I want to replay the game on Perfectionist with all my unlocked stuff.

How do I tell the order of the campaign missions?

The seem to just be scattered across the map with no indication of order.

strafer

Finished the game on Realistic. Great game.

Now I want to replay the game on Perfectionist with all my unlocked stuff.

How do I tell the order of the campaign missions?

The seem to just be scattered across the map with no indication of order.

Blacklist Zero
Safehouse
Insurgent Stronghold
American Consumption
Private Estate
Abandoned Mill
Special Missions HQ
Transit Yards
Detention Facility
Airstrip
American Fuel
LNG Terminal
Site F

MAX PAYMENT

Blacklist Zero
Safehouse
Insurgent Stronghold
American Consumption
Private Estate
Abandoned Mill
Special Missions HQ
Transit Yards
Detention Facility
Airstrip
American Fuel
LNG Terminal
Site F
So I have to find the campaign order online?
No indication in-game?

Gaz_RB

So I have to find the campaign order online?
No indication in-game?

Nope, they are all seperate, no real way to play through it all. Pretty easy to know the order though, if you're watching the cutscenes. Unfortunetly I skipped some and played a few missions out of order. Not a big deal I guess.

By the way, I think the scoring system and leaderboards are going to add some legs to this game. I'm ranked 51 on 360 for Charlie's first mission and 129 for a Gitmo speed run I did. Fun stuff.

you know... i probably usually am not bothered by this stuff and i know tom clancy name means shit atm... but yeah, i kinda wish people on the paladin acted remotely like some sort of ... idk organization? People just do w/e the fuck they want and don't give a fuck about telling Sam before hand.

UrbanRats

Just finished the story mode.
Enjoyed it start to finish a great deal (aside from the
lame FPS sections
).
Didn't really follow the story in detail, but i got the gist of it.

Is there a way to have the full mask for the whole game? It's fucking awesome, i'd even pay (a little amount of) cash to have it in as DLC, it looks that good.

I played on realistic doing mostly a Panther approach, i'm no huge stealth fan so this, i feel, was the perfect middle ground for me.
Though toward the end i leaned a bit more towards Ghost than the beginning, but not too heavily.

It came out in an unfortunate year, otherwise i can see nominating it as my GOTY, even.
Too bad this year there are GTAV and Last of Us (and to a lesser degree, Saint's Row IV) in the way.

H2Yo

Since every Carmen San Diego moment in the SMI ends with a 50/50 chance of passing and failing, do you ever get the option to try the failed missions again? It auto-saves as soon as you choose :(

I'm torn now because I want to replay it again and feel like I'm missing out on some of the game by having only played on perfectionist and never using things like the mark and execute and seeing through walls with sonar goggles but at the same time, I'm afraid playing on an easier difficulty is going to lessen the experience for me. Probably just end up switching up to panther on perfectionist.

Also tried some multiplayer, is it just me or are SvM maps darker than in the regular mode? I definitely prefer it that way anyway. I've barely heard anyone talk on mic and my teammate wouldn't even type to say if he could hear me. That was what I was afraid of, getting it on PC and playing with people without a headset. Seems to be a lot harder to find people with mics on PC compared to 360 and especially the original Xbox days where everybody talked.

UrbanRats

a bit confused about how melee works, sometimes melee can work in the front against alerted enemies... sometimes not? Or from the side? hmmm.

Depends on a few factors:
  • type of enemy (the bigger, the less likely it'll work from the front).
  • if the enemy is alerted (there's a window in which you can still down an enemy before he realizes what's going on).
  • and during combat, sometimes it works if you shoot them a couple of times (probably because staggered, though i haven't tested too much).

Back and Side are always (AFAIK) game, instead.

Gaz_RB

you know... i probably usually am not bothered by this stuff and i know tom clancy name means shit atm... but yeah, i kinda wish people on the paladin acted remotely like some sort of ... idk organization? People just do w/e the fuck they want and don't give a fuck about telling Sam before hand.

I think it's so disorganized because this organization was just created after the Blacklist threat. It should barely be called an organization. I look forward to seeing future games where hopefully 4th Echelon can put down some roots and be like 3rd Echelon of the first 3. I want to see them when massive terrorist plots and attacks are being thrown down on the US. I want to see the characters during a more subdued crisis like Chaos Theory.

When hanging from a ledge how do you pull the enemy and throw them off rather then knock them out where they stand? In Conviction it seemed like it always threw them off.

This game has a ton of content. I've been spending a lazy Sunday just playing all of the side missions. I usually hate horde-mode type stuff, but the open gameplay has grabbed
me, sorta like how ODST grabbed me with Firefight.

Top Bottom