• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

This is taken from Centerstrain01's playthrough of Conviction. Pretty awesome.

convictiontakedownulsy6.gif

DAT Centerstrain01 perfection.... gonna go re-watch his Conviction walkthrough now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This game clearly wasn't finished and had parts cut out. The "launch mission" parts really seem like there was supposed to be another layer of choice/planning instead of what it is now, especially later in the game and as for the ending
it seems to "end" abruptly with missing missions. I'm guessing story DLC is coming, but with next gen so close, I doubt I could be bothered to care.

what the hell? i'm seeing more love for Conviction on this page than i've seen in my life.

Conviction was great, this game is too even with its flaws.

ev0

Hey guys, I just loaded up SvM and noticed I had lost all my progress. I can only play Training Grounds again.

Has this happened to anyone? Anyway to fix it. Pretty damn annoying. I'm on 360. Thanks for any input.

Edit: Holy crap, I lost everything I did yesterday. I got Panther Mastery on 7 missions for the cheevo and picked up tons of the collectibles. ARGH!

Ephemeris

A friend gifted me the game.

I've shitted on it during dev, disliked it when I played at E3. Zero hype going into it.

imduswq.jpg

Loving it.

Grumbul

For the life of me I cannot join my friends co-op game, nor can he connect to mine. The same goes for Spies vs Mercs. We are both updated to the latest versions, have tried port fowarding, UPNP, Machines in DMZ, Firewalls, etc but every time we get the same message:

"Cannot connect at this time. Please try again later"

Normal matchmaking works fine, we have both been able to play with randoms.
Looked on the Ubisoft forms, heaps and heaps of people have reported the same thing but Ubisoft have yet to actually post anything.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Anyone source a fix?

I'm having this problem as well (PC version).

Everything is fine in relation to joining PUGs but I simply cannot connect with friends through the abomination that is Uplay.

Lingitiz

Played the first mission and thought it was pretty cool. I'm more interested in the Grim missions that are more sandbox in structure than the main ones.

Anyone try this with the new Nvidia beta drivers? Are they safe to download? (GTX 670)

JambiBum

Played the first mission and thought it was pretty cool. I'm more interested in the Grim missions that are more sandbox in structure than the main ones.

Anyone try this with the new Nvidia beta drivers? Are they safe to download? (GTX 670)

They work just fine for SC. I had an issue with them in Payday though. They gave me horrible stuttering problems that I never had on the old drivers. I have a 570. I have no idea if that issue has been fixed or if it effects any other cards though.

demolitio

The campaign missions open up significantly. You're gonna dig it.

Yea, it was just decent in the beginning but I knew it was necessary hand-holding but then you reach a certain point
Chicago is back!
and it just completely opens up into a fucking stealth playground.

Anyway, if you're on the PC and need a SvM buddy or coop buddy (normally stealth but like to mix it up and will do assault if need be), add "NSAdemolitio" on Uplay.

what the hell? i'm seeing more love for Conviction on this page than i've seen in my life.

Conviction is a terrible Splinter Cell game, if you take its pedigree into account. However, it's also the closest we've ever gotten to a legitimately great Jason Bourne game (it's at least better than the okay-I-guess 2008 game), and it at least has a reasonably stealth-oriented co-op campaign.

nOoblet16

I had my doubts after conviction (good game but not splinter cell) but this game has me impressed with it's mix of old and new. I just wish that someday they'd bring back some chaos theory/double agent style missions with hacking and the light/dark gameplay with the emp gun (forgot what it was called).

Also for the life of me I cannot redeem my dlc/promo codes because uplay never loads up for me and just freezes on the main screen. I'm on Xbox.

danielcw

Anyway, if you're on the PC and need a SvM buddy or coop buddy (normally stealth but like to mix it up and will do assault if need be), add "NSAdemolitio" on Uplay.

You may want to add yourself to the Steam-GAF group, and the Uplay name thread in it.

Conviction [...], it's also the closest we've ever gotten to a legitimately great Jason Bourne game

Bourne doesn't kill most of his enemies, if I remember correctly.

danielcw

I wanna get this on the PC but people are saying the MP is pretty much DoA and it takes forever to get a game going.

Is that true?

Never had that problem. Culd find games easily, and no problems to connect to my coop buddy.
But yes, there seem to be people who have problems connecting to friends.

danielcw

I mean, if you want to get technical, sure. But in terms of lightning fast action stealth with a lot of acrobatics and close quarters combat, it fits the bill.

true, and it started out as that kind of game. it is probably the next best thing.

but in the end, you use guns and kill from afar a lot, which imho isn't that Bourne like.

CyReN

About half way through the campaign, enjoying it a lot. I thought DA was ok, Conviction was pretty decent, but the team at Ubisoft finally made the formula work again and this is the best Splinter Cell since CT for me at least so far.

Uplink is pretty fun but as soon as one person leaves, the game becomes completely fucked and lopsided. Ubisoft should really do something to punish the quitters in this game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So umm...this game is good then? I could use a good stealth-em-up in my life but I'm very scared after the disaster that was Conviction.

So umm...this game is good then? I could use a good stealth-em-up in my life but I'm very scared after the disaster that was Conviction.

It's very good. I'd say it slots in behind Chaos Theory, but ahead of Pandora Tomorrow, Double Agent, and the original. Those are all great games (if you played the OG Xbox version of Double Agent, at least) but Blacklist has a refreshing control overhaul that makes the whole thing a tad less clunky.

Fantastic level design too, aside from the first three missions. After that it's pretty much all fantastic open-ended Chaos Theory-ish goodness, especially in the side levels.

strafer

This is what my ranking would look like I suppose.

Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell
Blacklist
Double Agent
Pandora Tomorrow
Conviction

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's very good. I'd say it slots in behind Chaos Theory, but ahead of Pandora Tomorrow, Double Agent, and the original. Those are all great games (if you played the OG Xbox version of Double Agent, at least) but Blacklist has a refreshing control overhaul that makes the whole thing a tad less clunky.

Fantastic level design too, aside from the first three missions. After that it's pretty much all fantastic open-ended Chaos Theory-ish goodness, especially in the side levels.

I adored the OG Xbox Double Agent. Sounds very tempting, although at this point it may be worth waiting a few months to pick it up on Black Friday.

How is SvM btw? I never played the original since my internet back then wasn't very stable, but I've heard good things about the original mode. Does the new version hold up?

This is what my ranking would look like I suppose.

Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell
Blacklist
Double Agent
Pandora Tomorrow
Conviction

I think mine would be:

Chaos Theory
Blacklist
Double Agent (OG Xbox)
Splinter Cell
Pandora Tomorrow (Spies v Mercs was tons of fun, but the campaign sucked)
Double Agent (360/PC)

Conviction is kind of its own thing. It's a terrible Splinter Cell, but I appreciated it as an action game.

I adored the OG Xbox Double Agent. Sounds very tempting, although at this point it may be worth waiting a few months to pick it up on Black Friday.

How is SvM btw? I never played the original since my internet back then wasn't very stable, but I've heard good things about the original mode. Does the new version hold up?

SvM is good, although it's not quite as nuanced as the old version. SvM classic is the way to go, as the new modes are entertaining, but have an annoying lack of balance because the matchmaking sucks and you get partnered up with people who can wreck you because of their better gear. Co-op is where it's at for the multiplayer, aside from SvM classic.

strafer

I think mine would be:

Chaos Theory
Blacklist
Double Agent (OG Xbox)
Splinter Cell
Pandora Tomorrow (Spies v Mercs was tons of fun, but the campaign sucked)
Double Agent (360/PC)

Conviction is kind of its own thing. It's a terrible Splinter Cell, but I appreciated it as an action game.

SvM is good, although it's not quite as nuanced as the old version. SvM classic is the way to go, as the new modes are entertaining, but have an annoying lack of balance because the matchmaking sucks and you get partnered up with people who can wreck you because of their better gear. Co-op is where it's at for the multiplayer, aside from SvM classic.

Yeah, the regular Xbox version is pretty boss too.

SonnyBoy

I don't think I've posted in here since purchasing the game. Just stopping in to say that this is the best iteration since Chaos Theory.

I agree with the general sentiment that the new Sam doesn't feel like Sam.

Thinking about it a bit... you know, this might just be one of the better playing 3rd person modern action game of this gen.

only real qualms i have, is that i'm not entirely sure why sam seems to enjoy standing in front of the doorway when he opens doors sometimes, and nightvision doesn't actually help you see in the dark. it just adds a piss filter that makes it even harder to see. Game also occasionally messes up cover takedowns which sucks.

like the fairly constant ammo crates around giving you freedom to goof around with gadgets more, and its still crazy that many games still don't have the arcing arch assist thing for throwing items.

melee animations are all fantastic (fun fact, i tend to enjoy melee takedowning in 3rd person shooters more than shooting), navigating the world is smooth.

it satisfy my needs of being a 'glass cannon'. An extremely efficient killing machine, yet all too fragile.

Shame marketing and what not really hurt this game imo. It's actually pretty decent.

UrbanRats

Gotta disagree with the nightvision.
It takes a while to adjust, but in really dark places is fairly useful.
There are, however, a couple of moments where it arbitrarily doesn't light up spaces (i'm not talking about it being jammed, either) which i can't explain.

Gotta disagree with the nightvision.
It takes a while to adjust, but in really dark places is fairly useful.
There are, however, a couple of moments where it arbitrarily doesn't light up spaces (i'm not talking about it being jammed, either) which i can't explain.

dont know, it was completely un useful during the specific moment in iran
where bullets start flying.

and i getting a bit tired of the 'hipster hacker team mate that fucks up because plot' character archetype.

This game online is pissing me off. I'm trying to play with a friend and they keep getting kicked during matchmaking. When we do manage to find a match together, the game keeps putting us on separate teams. Why the hell would I make a party and invite a friend if I didn't want to be on their team?

And then there's all this other bullshit. You can SEE the character models clipping through cover, totally giving away your position when you're trying to hide as a spy. I'm not having a good time here.

imBask

Banned
is the WiiU version worth it? I don't care about online, and the features seemed alright... but i'm not hearing anything about that version so far, is it because it's bad or is it because i'm the only WiiU owner NA?

is the WiiU version worth it? I don't care about online, and the features seemed alright... but i'm not hearing anything about that version so far, is it because it's bad or is it because i'm the only WiiU owner NA?

digital foundry has a good writeup. long loading times and lower res textures, but it runs well.

game is also pretty decent, single player wise.

Lima

Completed mission 4. Damn man this game is good. The first two missions were kinda average but after that it gets really good.

Top Bottom