• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Gaz_RB

This game has a really good foundation for episodic content. It's the type of game where the gameplay doesn't really get old, it just needs more missions to keep from getting stale.

Pretty sure this is garbage code that's been in previous games.

Dream killa

DesertFox

Special missions hq level spoilers

just spent 30 mins ghosting out of the server room just to have this fucking game give me Panther points for "evading" enemies. What the fuck? I wasnt even seen. Really want to ghost this level but fuck it. I'm not doing that God awful server room again.

Edit: now its saying Ive evaded enemies in subsequent sections that I'm ghosting. Seems that this game labels you as a Panther and there is no going back to ghost unless you reload. Fuck.

DrBo42

just spent 30 mins ghosting out of the server room just to have this fucking game give me Panther points for "evading" enemies. What the fuck? I wasnt even seen. Really want to ghost this level but fuck it. I'm not doing that God awful server room again.

Did you use smoke?

imBask

Banned
next time before you make comments like that please check or google the situation. Single player is awesome.

what I meant was : if i'm buying it on the WiiU i'm not expecting a great online experience. whether because the online is broken (might not be Nintendo's fault in that case, my bad) or because the community won't last 3 weeks...

but alright, I think i'll wait until they patch whatever they need to patch and then pick it up on WiiU for the single player

EDIT : I also have a great PC, but i'm trying to find uses to my WiiU... are the added features worth it?

DesertFox

No. Maybe something with the rappel. Can't remember if it did the same with me.
Now the sound bugged out and I can't hear any voices. *sigh* hopefully rebooting my Xbox will fix this shit

Edit: After rebooting voices are still screwed up. This shouldn't be happening on an Xbox for God's sake...

edit 2: After clearing system cache the sound seems to be fixed...

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
This game runs pretty well on the PC......that is until you use an AA solution that's not FXAA, I have a gtx 780 and as soon as I go MSAA 4x my frame gets down to 30, same with TXAA, all I can do is 2x of each to keep a solid 60

Sams glare before you accept a mission is probably unintentionally the most hilarious part of the game.

I love how they try to make it like a crucial Mass effect choice but really all you're doing is just accepting a mission.

Its the same as when talking to the other characters. Do I dare ask briggs about my stats? Will he get angry if i do?

DesertFox

Game seems to be bugged for me now. Just played (8th ? Mission spoilers)
the trainyard section after playing as briggs

Didn't touch anyone, wasnt seen, didn't use any gadgets and I was rewarded with Panther points for evading enemies.

Welp, guess my ghost playthrough is done...

Sober

Edit: now its saying Ive evaded enemies in subsequent sections that I'm ghosting. Seems that this game labels you as a Panther and there is no going back to ghost unless you reload. Fuck.
I believe it was from the
General's ambush, you have to KO all of them since they know you were there (in cutscene) but you can still stay undetected (in gameplay) the whole time. Problem is they are actively searching for you, I'm almost certain you have to KO them. Sadly I didn't have scoring on but yeah.

Not sure about the other parts but yeah, you do have to KO to prevent getting Panther points in Tehran

Effect

Tweeted right after news about ps3/360 patches..
"For the record, we are also looking at the Wii U version."

https://twitter.com/SplinterCell/status/372523994744098816

That sounded a bit snarky. Then again perhaps people wouldn't keep questioning them specifically about the Wii U version if they were proactive in their comments in general. Same for Wii U versions of other games but they can't control that.

Edit: Price still hasn't dropped yet for the game. Curious as to when that will happen.

Game seems to be bugged for me now. Just played (8th ? Mission spoilers)
the trainyard section after playing as briggs

Didn't touch anyone, wasnt seen, didn't use any gadgets and I was rewarded with Panther points for evading enemies.

Welp, guess my ghost playthrough is done...

I think you can lose ghost if you ever get to 90% detection (full white bar, but no arrows). It's basically they become suspicious and begin looking for you. At least, that's my thoughts as to why. On the Grim missions, there's a bonus that's lost if the guards become suspicious, so that's what I'm basing it on.

Sober

I think you can lose ghost if you ever get to 90% detection (full white bar, but no arrows). It's basically they become suspicious and begin looking for you. At least, that's my thoughts as to why. On the Grim missions, there's a bonus that's lost if the guards become suspicious, so that's what I'm basing it on.
Detection arc filling up and flashing means you have a split second before they alert everyone; they definitely see you at this point. Red is detected/they see you in combat. Their arc might fill up faster when they are suspicious but unless it flashes, you can usually clear out. When it fills but then drops back down, they will investigate 99% of the time.

Suspicious means they either found a body or you've been fucking with the environment too much (doors open, lights shot out/turned off too many times, etc) that they suspect they have an intruder.

This game runs pretty well on the PC......that is until you use an AA solution that's not FXAA, I have a gtx 780 and as soon as I go MSAA 4x my frame gets down to 30, same with TXAA, all I can do is 2x of each to keep a solid 60

Huh?

I've got a 780 and I'm running everything max with 4xMSAA at seemingly solid 60fps. Are you using the latest Nvidia beta driver?

The final part of the last Briggs mission is such bullshit.

The rest of the level is brilliant. Lots of variety. Great gameplay, especially with a partner. But the last section that takes place
on the roof top
is awful. We spent the whole mission being ghosts. No panther KOs or evasions. We're nonlethal stealthy. We're playing on Perfectionist. And then we get to the very last part..

So what is that last section? That's right, full assault. Worse, you're pinned down in the open and can't move or be in cover. My partner and I have full stealth suits, so no basically no armor. And we're playing on Perfectionist. So that means we can take 2 shots before we die. It also means the enemies can take 12 pistol shots if you miss their head. And because we've played this whole game non-lethal, we haven't upgraded our guns (so they do no damage and have poor accuracy) or upgraded our gloves (so reloads take forever). There are waves of enemies, but the game doesn't save between them, of course. So we have to nail 6 headshots each with a pistol in about 10-15 seconds, then swap to assault rifles and kill 8 guys each and an exploding drone in about 10 seconds total. And we both have to do it. Or it's over.

This is some Deus Ex: Human Revolution level of forced action into stealthy gameplay.

We tried for 45 minutes before giving up. Such a terrible way to end a great level.

Gaz_RB

The final part of the last Briggs mission is such bullshit.

The rest of the level is brilliant. Lots of variety. Great gameplay, especially with a partner. But the last section that takes place
on the roof top
is awful. We spent the whole mission being ghosts. No panther KOs or evasions. We're nonlethal stealthy. We're playing on Perfectionist. And then we get to the very last part..

So what is that last section? That's right, full assault. Worse, you're pinned down in the open and can't move or be in cover. My partner and I have full stealth suits, so no basically no armor. And we're playing on Perfectionist. So that means we can take 2 shots before we die. It also means the enemies can take 12 pistol shots if you miss their head. And because we've played this whole game non-lethal, we haven't upgraded our guns (so they do no damage and have poor accuracy) or upgraded our gloves (so reloads take forever). There are waves of enemies, but the game doesn't save between them, of course. So we have to nail 6 headshots each with a pistol in about 10-15 seconds, then swap to assault rifles and kill 8 guys each and an exploding drone in about 10 seconds total. And we both have to do it. Or it's over.

This is some Deus Ex: Human Revolution level of forced action into stealthy gameplay.

We tried for 45 minutes before giving up. Such a terrible way to end a great level.

Agreed. Shittiest part of the entire game.

DesertFox

I believe it was from the
General's ambush, you have to KO all of them since they know you were there (in cutscene) but you can still stay undetected (in gameplay) the whole time. Problem is they are actively searching for you, I'm almost certain you have to KO them. Sadly I didn't have scoring on but yeah.

Not sure about the other parts but yeah, you do have to KO to prevent getting Panther points in Tehran
I did that in the
jail section
and used stealth KO to avoid Panther - didn't know it was necessary in the
server room
as well. Lame

DesertFox

No I wasn't seen at all. No warning bar whatsoever.

No I wasn't seen at all. No warning bar whatsoever.

That sucks. I got to the last part of that level and the game spawned me on the train with no non-lethal weapon (i.e. no crossbow or stun gun) and an AK-47, instead of my silenced assault rifle. And took away my sticky shocker and gave me gas grenades. A totally random, mostly lethal load out. :-/

jukeboxtimebomb

Neo Member
I've only played two games of Spies vs Mercs but it's incredibly fun. It'll be interesting to see how it goes as I level higher(only at 5) and play with people that know what there doing. Only frustrating thing is nobody had a mic in the two games I played. I'm not Mr. Sociable or anything, but this is the kind of game where you need to communicate and play as a team to succeed.

Its not so bad - you don't have to take everybody out. Just disrupt or distract long enough to get the job done.

And use the vent that connects both areas to save time.

was down to the last min because it took a while for me to find the thing to get to the other side. luckily i remembered where the control room was lol.

weird that briggs stuff is
first person shooter
. is it possible to ghost those sections? I don't think you have enough nonlethal gadgets, and you can't nonlethal knockdown. And most require you to clear the room... i think?

Also everytime I see a countdown in a Splinter Cell game I panic.
Yeah, same here :) I always finish that area with plenty of time to spare, but it does freak me out every time.

The first time through I just went loud and murdered everyone. Just did a no-kill run last night and did it with two non-lethal takedowns. Got spotted for a moment at the end though, otherwise the run would've been perfect.

DesertFox

was down to the last min because it took a while for me to find the thing to get to the other side. luckily i remembered where the control room was lol.

weird that briggs stuff is
first person shooter
. is it possible to ghost those sections? I don't think you have enough nonlethal gadgets, and you can't nonlethal knockdown. And most require you to clear the room... i think?

I found this helpful:

360GameTV ghost walkthroughs

They even shows you how to do those sections. At least 1 of them anyway, haven't checked all of their walkthroughs as I'm still playing through the game.

My issue from last week still stands today.

Nobody plays anything but Classic and TDM. I would really like to play Uplink Control but no one on PC ever seems to join the lobbies for that. The PC community for this seems very small. I wonder how Uplink control and other modes do on PS3, Wii U, and 360.

Kazerei

Banned
Ugh, I hate the water filtration area. :(

IIRC, I went left first, took out a guy below, walked directly towards the device, climbed on to something, hopped over the railing, disabled the device, hopped back over and walked away. I was playing on normal, so there were only two or three other dudes hanging around. They didn't notice. The other side of the plant was more difficult, but it still only took me about 6 minutes to finish.

with decent stealth, you can pretty much crouch walk at full speed without enemies noticing until very close though, and even then, i usually crouch sprint at them anyways
lol. love how they give you generous amount of time to sock a guy when they are alerted (beep beep beep beep beep).

strafer

with decent stealth, you can pretty much crouch walk at full speed without enemies noticing until very close though, and even then, i usually crouch sprint at them anyways
lol. love how they give you generous amount of time to sock a guy when they are alerted (beep beep beep beep beep).

I hate that sound, I always think I fucked up when I hear it.

AJ_Wings

Did my first Kobin mission after finishing Benghazi and holy hell at the difficulty spike. Much more open ended and multiple angles to get spotted by the AI, had to retry like 5 or 6 times before I got the hang of the first area. Yeah, this game is good shit.

P.S if Kobin missions are the replacement for Deniable Ops, I'd love to see the ST. Petersburg level map make a return in DLC with some improved level design. One of my most replayed maps in Conviction. So much fun.

Top Bottom