• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Danny 117

do grim missions get checkpoints?

so stressful... mainly because for some reason, i have terrible aim with a gun against dogs.

No they do not.

There are routes you can take that avoid the dogs entirely on some missions. I never encountered the dog on Hawkins Seafort because I go to the router, then the roof(via the pipe), then the laser room from the ladder on the roof.

BTW is there any indication of sales for this game? I hope it didn't under perform, could encourage them to go back to Conviction-like gameplay.

ive gotten really efficient at just kicking dogs now though lol.

;_;

i need to save the world puppies, sorry.

Gotta love how this game has about everything, even a
trigger happy cop that just randomly shot that guy and gets his own holiday.

Lingitiz

Just finished Mirawa and my first Grim and Kobin missions. There seems to be a shitload of content so far. Definitely liking what I've played, although I wish Sam had a bit more of his old personality.

BTW is there any indication of sales for this game? I hope it didn't under perform, could encourage them to go back to Conviction-like gameplay.
There's already more then enough Conviction-like gameplay here. Luckily there's a fuckton of non-Conviction-like gameplay to compensate.

AJ_Wings

Just finished Mirawa and my first Grim and Kobin missions. There seems to be a shitload of content so far. Definitely liking what I've played, although I wish Sam had a bit more of his old personality.

While the new guy isn't as bad as I thought he'd be, he's just... bland. I miss that good old Chaos Theory banter between Sam and Grim.

Danny 117

There's already more then enough Conviction-like gameplay here. Luckily there's a fuckton of non-Conviction-like gameplay to compensate.

Yeah I know that. Maybe I should have said that they may focus the gameplay on action in the future if this title under performs compared to conviction. It probably won't though as it's on all platforms where Conviction was a Xbox/PC title.
Conviction-like gameplay isn't a bad thing, but having that choice of ghosting like in Blacklist is superb.

Grisby

So after beating the game I thought I'd go through on perfection and try a assault run.

Wow.

Even with my armor star maxed and some very powerful guns it's still a bit difficult. Sam gets torn to shreds with just a tiny amount of bullets.
I think only Charlie missions have anything approaching a checkpoint, every five waves. Pretty sure you can continue from where you left off in that one, and only that one.
I think Kobin's has them too. Only Grimm's don't.

Lingitiz

While the new guy isn't as bad as I thought he'd be, he's just... bland. I miss that good old Chaos Theory banter between Sam and Grim.

Yeah I feel like there are some lines that attempt to be a bit witty, but Sam doesn't really engage in any of it. They've really just dehumanized him into a blank slate. The same goes for Grim too. They both might as well be different characters at this point.

strafer

Michael Ironside to play Sams dad in Blacklist 2. He will get kidnapped by the engineers and Sam is going to get him out.

Believe.

Grisby

Some end mission spoilers that I thought were kinda neat.

So that launch mission screen has always been a bit silly but I quite liked the one at the end where ever member of the team needed to confirm the order. Silly, but kind of neat.

The surprise twist of the captured Briggs was cool as the following 'execute fifth freedom' on the secretary of defense. However, the same order given by Sam at the end didn't have the same punch. The whole end boss battle was just kind a eh. Moving from cover to cover while trying to get behind the guy feels like it should have been more interesting.

Spoilers over.

I'm quite liking turning the game into more of an action deal by just going loud in every area. Door charges and incendiary grenades are a lot of fun.

PBalfredo

Got this game to play co-op with my buddy. I noticed some of the story missions are single player only. I want to knock out some of the solo missions on my own so I'll have more co-op missions available when playing with my buddy, but I'm wondering: will progressing too far with the story start to lock me out of co-op side missions at any point?

Gaz_RB

Who the fuck is this guy?

Kobin's actor.

Got this game to play co-op with my buddy. I noticed some of the story missions are single player only. I want to knock out some of the solo missions on my own so I'll have more co-op missions available when playing with my buddy, but I'm wondering: will progressing too far with the story start to lock me out of co-op side missions at any point?
Never.

Grisby

Lambert should come back.

"Jesus Christ Fisher, I'm back from the dead!"
No, not at all. There's one instance late in the game where you go directly from one mission into the next but most of the time it's back to the hub area where you can choose what you want to do. At any time, even after you beat the game.

Please DLC the hell out of this game, Ubi.
And seriously, they could take some existing maps and change the time of day and enemy spawns/composition and it'd be like new. All the shadows would change making levels play entirely different, and even night versions of day maps would have some areas completely lit with floodlights and the like.

Something like that sounds to me like solid asset re-use and the kind of project capable of rapid turnaround for delivery to hungry fans.

In addition to all the brand new environments and missions Ubi has slated for us of course, I can only hope. ;P

Elias Toufexis will be the new Sam Fisher in Blacklist 2.

Believe.
What the hell man? I'm not even wearing shoes!

Gaz_RB

And seriously, they could take some existing maps and change the time of day and enemy spawns/composition and it'd be like new. All the shadows would change making levels play entirely different, and even night versions of day maps would have some areas completely lit with floodlights and the like.

Something like that sounds to me like solid asset re-use and the kind of project capable of rapid turnaround for delivery to hungry fans.

In addition to all the brand new environments and missions Ubi has slated for us of course, I can only hope. ;P

What the hell man? I'm not even wearing shoes!

I wanna see sales figures for this game! That'll be a good gauge of how much dlc we'll be getting.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
2hrs I spent last night on Grims last 4E mission
Hackers Den. 2hrs I spent trying to bag and tag the HVT and find some way into the last room (the one with the lasers in the doorway and the switch inside) without alerting or harming anyone.

In the end I gave up and just went with the servers knocking out one Heavy Guard and carrying Jim through the doorway.
Lost my bonus for suspicion but I will be back tonite to try again. There has to be a way to get into that last room without knocking anyone out or playing co+op.

Hackers Den. 2hrs I spent trying to bag and tag the HVT and find some way into the last room (the one with the lasers in the doorway and the switch inside) without alerting or harming anyone.

In the end I gave up and just went with the servers knocking out one Heavy Guard and carrying Jim through the doorway.
Lost my bonus for suspicion but I will be back tonite to try again. There has to be a way to get into that last room without knocking anyone out or playing co+op.
Maybe you could
distract the other guards with an noisemaker, or lure the HVT into a trap in the adjoining room (or both). Remember that if you hold the attack button when you do a takedown you'll grab them in a meatshield position which enables you to easily move them quickly before doing your takedown.
That level though, is one of the finest stealth missions I've ever played. Its one where patience and situational awareness really does pay off.

Gen X

Maybe you could
distract the other guards with an noisemaker, or lure the HVT into a trap in the adjoining room (or both). Remember that if you hold the attack button when you do a takedown you'll grab them in a meatshield position which enables you to easily move them quickly before doing your takedown.
That level though, is one of the finest stealth missions I've ever played. Its one where patience and situational awareness really does pay off.

I've tried the noisemaker numerous times
out by the lasers but there is some weird hitbox on the wall. A fraction too far to the right and he goes downstairs.
However, I did suss a way to lure the HVT upstairs but the timing is paramount as to not be seen by anyone else.
I will nail this mission.

I also agree, great mission too.

There is a hole in the cieling that is next to the HVT in that mission. it's dark and you can sit under it behind cover.

Here's how to get him:
1. get over to Hacking point in the basement first, out the door facing the HVT is circular cover, get to it and wait
2. wait after the HVT and the gaurd next to him finish talking.
3. The guard will walk away and turn away from you, as the HVT will turn his back to you (facing the guard)
4. you just creep out of that nearby shadow, nab him, walk him over to the shadow and bag&tag.

4 things you need to worry about:
- the guard above the hole in the ceiling might see you if you take too long
- the guard turned around might finish his animation earlier and catch you taking the HVT
- another guard that sometimes is the same guard that comes outside from the beginning of the mission, might see you if he never went outside
- even if you silently bag&tag the HVT, the guard who was talking to him might become suspicious if it hears your rusting in the dark and will come to investigate

Took me forever to master that in Ghost on Perfectionist, 75% of that mission is timing, the rest is simple execution. OR just do this.

Gen X

Took me forever to master that in Ghost on Perfectionist, 75% of that mission is timing, the rest is simple execution.

I can perfect almost everything in that mission as I have tried.multiple routes (even complete the first server in under 35secs) but man, piecing everything together in one run.

I'm also in the Perfectionist club, it's the only way to play. :)

Is this game broke for anyone else? The exe file crashes every single time I try to play. I just played it last night I deleted my config file just because the so called fixes I found online just dont work

Grisby

Couple thing mp things:

1)Spies should never be able to take a full shotgun blast to the face and live. Ridiculous.

2)Camo needs to shimmer or something more. I feel like the dudes shouldn't be completely invisible.

3)Host migration is broken.

Gaz_RB

Couple thing mp things:

1)Spies should never be able to take a full shotgun blast to the face and live. Ridiculous.

2)Camo needs to shimmer or something more. I feel like the dudes shouldn't be completely invisible.

3)Host migration is broken.

1) they can't.

2) Mercs have counters to this.

3) yes, yes it is

DrBo42

It's weird because there's so much opportunity for them to talk about previous missions and put some personality back into the characters. Completely wasted opportunities. Writer stuck to the story beats and forgot to make these characters actual people.

strafer

For the next game I wish they put in interrogations when you have them in a hold.

Sam Fisher: Talk, but talk quietly.
Guard: I'll tell you anything. I'm the biggest coward you've ever met.
Sam Fisher: That's quite a claim.
Guard: I've already wet myself.
Sam Fisher: Well, then you've made the top ten. Where's Zherkezhi?
Guard: Somewhere at the far end. In the tea house maybe.
Sam Fisher: All right, I think it's time for you to take a nap now.
Guard: I'm such a coward. You should kill me anyway, I dont deserve to live.
Sam Fisher: You are pretty spineless, actually.
Guard: I'm so ashamed.

Sam Fisher: [at a Japanese tea house, Sam has grabbed a guard from behind in a choke-hold] Bad news.
Guard: Agh! I knew it! I knew there were ninjas around here!
Sam Fisher: What?
Guard: Yeah, you've gotta be a ninja. How else could you sneak up and grab me like that?
Sam Fisher: Listen, I don't know what...
Guard: Wow! A real, live, ninja! I can't believe it!
Sam Fisher: Listen, I'm going to kill you if...
Guard: *Wow*! Killed by a ninja... cool!

SystemBug

For the next game I wish they put in interrogations when you have them in a hold.

Sam Fisher: Talk, but talk quietly.
Guard: I'll tell you anything. I'm the biggest coward you've ever met.
Sam Fisher: That's quite a claim.
Guard: I've already wet myself.
Sam Fisher: Well, then you've made the top ten. Where's Zherkezhi?
Guard: Somewhere at the far end. In the tea house maybe.
Sam Fisher: All right, I think it's time for you to take a nap now.
Guard: I'm such a coward. You should kill me anyway, I dont deserve to live.
Sam Fisher: You are pretty spineless, actually.
Guard: I'm so ashamed.

Sam Fisher: [at a Japanese tea house, Sam has grabbed a guard from behind in a choke-hold] Bad news.
Guard: Agh! I knew it! I knew there were ninjas around here!
Sam Fisher: What?
Guard: Yeah, you've gotta be a ninja. How else could you sneak up and grab me like that?
Sam Fisher: Listen, I don't know what...
Guard: Wow! A real, live, ninja! I can't believe it!
Sam Fisher: Listen, I'm going to kill you if...
Guard: *Wow*! Killed by a ninja... cool!
I remember those. A shame they weren't in this game though.

Sojgat

Is the core gameplay more similar to Chaos Theory?

No lockpicking, or interrogating guards to get door codes, but otherwise it can play a lot like Chaos Theory, if you want it to. It's just that going full assault and blasting all the enemies is a viable option in most areas as well (there are some small sections where stealth isn't optional).

Sober

It's weird because there's so much opportunity for them to talk about previous missions and put some personality back into the characters. Completely wasted opportunities. Writer stuck to the story beats and forgot to make these characters actual people.
Coop has some halfway decent banter between Sam and Grim.

I just got this for free with my new GTX 780, and damn have I been pleasantly surprised. I normally never gave the series more than a couple glances back in its hayday, but the production and VO on this spit shined are to a fault, and I've been having a blast.

I just talked to Kobin in his cell and was slayed by that wink at Deus Ex HR, "Well Sam you haven't thrown me through any plate glass windows yet!".

Top Bottom