• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Question - did I miss some in or out of movie explanation on threepio's red arm?

11850395_499980420152003_1137689277_n.jpg

Brakke

Banned
That comic is bullocks. Nobody understands Luke. In what world is Luke giving someone a weapon to use to murder an unarmed foe.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Saw it for the third time tonight with my mother and Nephew. They both loved it, mother was really excited when Han Solo first showed up since she didn't know anything about the new movie.

That "high ground"-line feels like it was a reference to something ealier that got cut. As it stands it just didn't make sense, especially considering they were climbing collapsing towers and shit a few minutes beforehand.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Question - did I miss some in or out of movie explanation on threepio's red arm?

I think 3P0 mentions that he doesn't like it, but it was never explained. Did his silver leg in the OT need to be explained? It really doesn't matter.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I haven't been paying attention to this thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the February issue of American Cinematographer is entirely dedicated to TFA and some copies are in the wild already.

That "high ground"-line feels like it was a reference to something ealier that got cut. As it stands it just didn't make sense, especially considering they were climbing collapsing towers and shit a few minutes beforehand.

Having the high ground is usually a strategic advantage. In warfare, claiming the high ground is nearly always a strategic advantage. In the context of a fight you're making the enemy have to climb up to get you ('fighting an uphill battle' being an expression of difficulty) and even then it's harder to actually reach important parts of an enemy above you, while the defender gets to chop freely at your head while only having to defend their lower extremities.

However, as you said, it's completely meaningless in the context of two prescient superhumans who can move at super speed, jump 50 feet straight up or just, you know, approach slightly from the side.

Arthea

If Rey is really Skywalker, and we all know that she very likely is. Skywalkers' standards are deteriorating rapidly. They left Leia with royalty, Luke with prosperous farmers and Rey.... in the junkyard. In just two generations they hit rock bottom with all abandoning own kids business, didn't they?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If Rey is really Skywalker, and we all know that she very likely is. Skywalkers' standards are deteriorating rapidly. They left Leia with royalty, Luke with prosperous farmers and Rey.... in the junkyard. In just two generations they hit rock bottom with all abandoning own kids business, didn't they?

Luke for sure won't win any Dad of the Year prize if that's the case.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes. Luke and his woman left their only daughter to Unkar fucking Plutt of Jakku.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
or Master (tutor) of the Year prize, if you think about it

I think that goes back to the wrong basis of the Jedi order. You would think someone would notice by now that whenever you have too many (powerful) good guys or too many (powerful) bad guys the Force just slaps you back in the search for equilibrium.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think it's interesting that they left Rey with Unkar Plott. It implies some serious trust on the part of Rey's parents. Maybe Unkar was a friend of sorts, and he was more than likely only expecting to be watching over Rey for a short period of time, not 12 years. Eventually, he got resentful of having to babysit this girl for so long, and made her work for him, and then scammed her out of her proper portions, probably under the justification that she's paying off her debt to him.

I'm actually impressed that despite her upbringing with Plott (she lived with him during her formative years), that she turned out to be such a good, kind person. I mean, in between all of the meanness, was Unkar teaching her shit like "Share and share alike...but you're still only getting one half portion."?

Rey learned to fight and scavenge and survive on Jakku, but she apparently didn't fall into a dog eat dog mentality while doing it. It's interesting. I get how Luke could become a nice kid, because his aunt and uncle weren't asshats. Either Plott was always an asshat, or he became one after Rey wore out her welcome in the longest babysitting job ever.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's interesting that they left Rey with Unkar Plott. It implies some serious trust on the part of Rey's parents. Maybe Unkar was a friend of sorts, and he was more than likely only expecting to be watching over Rey for a short period of time, not 12 years. Eventually, he got resentful of having to babysit this girl for so long, and made her work for him, and then scammed her out of her proper portions, probably under the justification that she's paying off her debt to him.

I'm actually impressed that despite her upbringing with Plott (she lived with him during her formative years), that she turned out to be such a good, kind person. I mean, in between all of the meanness, was Unkar teaching her shit like "Share and share alike...but you're still only getting one half portion."?

Rey learned to fight and scavenge and survive on Jakku, but she apparently didn't fall into a dog eat dog mentality while doing it. It's interesting. I get how Luke could become a nice kid, because his aunt and uncle weren't asshats. Either Plott was always an asshat, or he became one after Rey wore out her welcome in the longest babysitting job ever.

The way Unkar handles the little girl in Rey's vision, grabbing and pulling her like a prisoner suggest anything but a friend. More like a ransom or a guarantee.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Or a sale.

Next film opens with Rey blowing up from the bomb implanted in her

Imagine the scenes in here if Rey doesnt make it 5 mins into ep8 and is out of the rest of the trilogy.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think it's almost more likely that Unkar was paid to take on Rey, and he sees her more as a burden then anything else.

If this is the case then the fact he hasnt killed her/starved her/let her die implies that someone is coming back, because he certainly isnt keeping her around out of love.

Maybe its a pay a bit now a bit when shes older deal

Paganmoon

The way Unkar handles the little girl in Rey's vision, grabbing and pulling her like a prisoner suggest anything but a friend. More like a ransom or a guarantee.

Uhm, wasn't that the voice of Max von Sydows character? As in, it was his character holding Rey as the ship flew away?

-griffy-

Banned
If this is the case then the fact he hasnt killed her/starved her/let her die implies that someone is coming back, because he certainly isnt keeping her around out of love.

Maybe its a pay a bit now a bit when shes older deal

Well he may be an asshole, but I don't think he's an evil asshole. I don't think he'd kill or let a young child starve to death. If he was indeed paid to look after her, then he was still paid to do a job so I'd imagine he'd see the job through even if he finds it an annoyance.

Mr Cola

Uhm, wasn't that the voice of Max von Sydows character? As in, it was his character holding Rey as the ship flew away?

No it was 100% Unkar, you can see his hand

Thats not to say Max wasnt watching her from afar....

If Kylo were older it could have been argued that Luke hid her but as that isn't the case of her being a Skywalker gets much tougher.

She's pretty much the most powerful Jedi we've seen though if you compare the trilogies, which speaks for her being a Skywalker or at least being created by Plageius or something.

donny2112

If Kylo were older it could have been argued that Luke hid her but as that isn't the case of her being a Skywalker gets much tougher.

She's pretty much the most powerful Jedi we've seen though if you compare the trilogies, which speaks for her being a Skywalker or at least being created by Plageius or something.
Well, there's this theory.
http://i.imgur.com/UqELfwa.jpg

Edit:
Dang, that's big! Um, there's a theory that she's a reincarnated Anakin. See the link. :lol

GhaleonEB

I don't think they're go the reincarnation route. Both because it's weird and I think they want tell a more relatable story, and because while the prequels are canon a lot of that canon is simply bad writing. They can move on from it, like they did with TFA.

I like how in this film, they framed the events of the OT as being mythic - few witnessed it, stories changed over time, different factions telling different versions. The events of the PT are all but forgotten completely, as they should be.

Yeah I don't buy that.

They obviously liked the twist of making Kylo not Rey end up as Han and Leia's kid instead so I expect a similar reveal for her.

That theory would take like half a movie to explain and still leave the audience with a "what?"

Top Bottom