• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Well, thanks to Doronon, I've now seen my first giant demon penis of the season. Also saggy grandma titties being swung around like bolas.

Dresden

You call it demon penis, I call it a weapon of war.

lbnLH.gif

NeonZ

7Th said:
Sunrise's 2011:

Spring: Tiger & Bunny, Gintama
Summer: Sacred Seven
Fall: Kyoukaisen-jou no Horizon, rumored new Gundam

And they're all going to be 26 episodes or longer. DAMN.

Well, they stopped Keroro, that gives them one extra studio to help other productions compared to what they had in previous years. Aside from that, Gundam still isn't confirmed.

Joe Molotov said:
Well, thanks to Doronon, I've now seen my first giant demon penis of the season. Also saggy grandma titties being swung around like bolas.

Even after seeing the gif posted here i still laughed when it appeared in the Ep

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Want (one more than the other...).
GONDQ.jpg

It looks like it's been delayed until the end of the month though.

I need to buy the HK version of the live action movie to have them go together because of anime OCD collector disease.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I wish Bandai BDs weren't so expensive. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time BD doesn't even have nice packaging. Will wait for bomba/price drop.

I'm spending all my money on Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets LE soon anyway, won't have the money for it.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
Want (one more than the other...).
http://i.imgur.com/GONDQ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is that little yellow thing in the top left of A Girl Who Leapt through Space appeared in another anime? It feels like I've seen it somewhere else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Is that little yellow thing in the top left of A Girl Who Leapt through Space appeared in another anime? It feels like I've seen it somewhere else.
No clue... but he's the Kyubey of that show anyway.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
What, and make me hate most anime? If I did that, I doubt I'd keep watching much of it... there's already enough things about anime to dislike as it is.
If I can't be happy no one can!
A Black Falcon said:
What, I can't imagine why you'd say that... oh right, because you have said you dislike every single show this season, as far as I know? Right. That's probably why. :)
In my defense most anime this season, and every season prior, does suck. Yesterday I watched the first episode of Sket-Dance, that was crappy, I watched about one third of We, Without Wings which was terrible and then I watched about 5 minutes of Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi which really wasn't my thing either. All three of those shows legitimately suck. Now sure I didn't like Nichijou but all I said about Hanasaku Iroha was that I didn't think it was my type of show and while there's still a few shows that are promising coming up there's even more shows that are guaranteed stinkers, Maria+Holic, Dog Days, Battle-Time-Paradox-Girls-Shit this is considered a good season because there's a handful of decent shows not because the majority of the shows are good. If there's a person who likes most of the shows this season they're the one's that are fucked in the head.

IS
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, I guess so (that there had to be an explanation). I didn't think about it and probably just assumed that it'd be something stupid. I mean, it was surely done for the sake of providing him with a large harem, after all... but yeah, that they actually have some sort of an explanation is better than nothing.
No matter what it is it's still stupid, I can promise that.
A Black Falcon said:
I believe I mentioned many such events throughout the series, so suddenly stopping at the end would be inconsistent... I know the series does it a lot and said so, but it bothers me so why not mention it anyway?
No, it's that you and, who was the other, kept still trying to rank the girl's progress despite the show proving on many occasion that you couldn't apply that logic to it.
A Black Falcon said:
I'd probably be happier if they never made anything more from the franchise (it is far too bad to deserve sales that good...), but if they do I probably won't be able to resist watching...
Lol, why?

Last Exile
A Black Falcon said:
Last Exile was a fairly popular show, it's not just me who thinks you're wrong about it...
I'm just saying it was average to mediocre not great or terrible.
A Black Falcon said:
That's just not true though.
But it is.
A Black Falcon said:
Well first, when did Disith's environmental collapse start? If it was relatively recent, that'd explain why they have no interest in peace now...
So? And back then? The very concept of sending a four man team across their stream in some little vanship to carry such an important treaty was hilariously stupid. They could have just sat on the treaty and waited for their next battle and done it then. Then they could have also have a good reason to introduce Guild as the bad guys because Guild could have intervened back then and stopped it to keep the wars going which would then make the present story make sense.
A Black Falcon said:
And as for the Guild, remember that they forced (using behind the scenes means I guess) the two sides to fight regularly, to keep the planet from developing much so that it wouldn't run out of resorces... once both sides realized that and that there was another option of course they're going to work together. But really, you just don't make sense when you blame it all on Alex disliking the Queen. I don't clearly remember it, so I could be wrong about some things, First, she was horrible and deserved his dislike, both for personal and policy reasons. And second, maybe that helped start it, but the more he learned about the Guild clearly the more he disliked them, with all the wars they cause and all... oh, and looking it up on Wikipedia, he blames her for his fiancee's death. That seems like a solid reason to me, to start it off.
Lol, Alex blaming her for his fiancee's death is a solid reason? She had nothing to do with it! I don't mind personal vendettas but I'd like for them to make some damn sense. And again with Guild, they're not shown doing anything wrong until the present, when Guild didn't enforce the rules of warfare at the first battle we were shown they were surprised which implies that prior to this they were doing their job. Of course it's not necessarily fair that one side can control the surface but they did a really poor job setting the conflict up with Guild, so up to the point where Guild does start acting crazy all the years that Alex and the Princess are working together basically stems down to a misplaced personal vendetta that just happened to be ok because that side did indeed turn out to be the bad guys.
A Black Falcon said:
Yes, and I'm sure he learned things from him,
And?
A Black Falcon said:
It explains everything you need to know just well enough for you to be able to follow it if you pay attention and maybe watch it again. It's a complex world and the story is complicated, there's nothing wrong with some complexity sometimes as long as it's done well. It is here.
It wasn't complexity it was a mess.
You don't even know if the ship they'd been fighting for took them to a new planet or just terraformed a nice spot on their current planet.
That's not a well done ending, that's not a complex ending, that's bullshit. That's Gonzo.
A Black Falcon said:
I thought Dio dies... looking it up on Wikipedia I guess there were a few hints that maybe he lived, but I don't think it's entirely confirmed. The musketeer guy living was a little surprising though, it did seem like he'd died until he shows up in that scene. I didn't mind too much, why not have a happy ending for them, but it was a little annoying that they tried to convince us that he'd died, and then bring him back like that. Oh well, minor point.
More Gonzo! Why not let
Alex live at that point? And the two kids parents?
It's fucking stupid Gonzo tripe.
A Black Falcon said:
As for the rest of the ending, I did say that I wished they'd been a little clearer about a couple of things (
whether they go to another planet, etc.
), and it wasn't the best thing about the show, but it explained what happened and it provided a conclusive ending, which puts it well above lots of anime endings. Obviously though if you didn't like the characters and story you weren't going to like it, but I and many other people did like the story and characters, so that wasn't an issue.
See you just give shit too many excuses. You see a mediocre show that had a few interesting things and give everything a pass, I see a mediocre show from a mediocre studio with a few interesting things and think of what could have been.
A Black Falcon said:
I dislike some Microsoft programs -- I can't stand Word (I use Wordperfect instead) and never use IE (I use Firefox and/or Seamonkey) -- but Windows I know and like well enough to not want to switch to Linux (Apple I quite dislike). And plus, I like computer games, and those are on Windows.

I've used Linux a little, but it's more complex and doesn't really seem that much better, so it doesn't seem worth the hassle it'd be to really learn...

I do like some of the less popular Windows versions, though. My older computer (from fall '01, still working) runs WinME, and my newer one (a few years old now) has Vista, and I think both are decent OSes... I never regretted not upgrading that older computer from ME to XP.
Lol, you still use Win ME? Lol, this puts some of your anime tastes in perspective, lol.

Anyways, it's not even so much about knowing Windows. On linux to install my ATI drivers I just downloaded them and typed a single command to install them and they were done. For sound though, I had sound it was just choppy and shitty, so for sound I go and download the Realtek Alsa drivers and try to install them using their installer, it fails. Ok fine, probably because I'm using some other sound shit, so I remove those, still no go. So I download and install ALSA and it's dependencies and install them despite some of it already being installed which seems to work but I still have no sound. So now I retry installing the Realtek drivers which this time say they install. Oh yeah, making progress but I need to run alsaconf to choose my sound, alright, I do that and reboot. No sound, well I was pretty sure I installed alsamixer so I can unmute my channels but now it wont run, lets download and install that again, now alsaconf isn't found and alsamixer wont run? What the fuck? Reboot, now I can't even get a GUI? What the fuck is this shit? It was just a sound driver so fucking boot into a GUI anyways so I can at least look up readme's and shit.

And in a way it's funny because linux isn't hard but it also is. I'm sure I have some conflicts going on but since I don't know every fucking package Ubuntu installs by default I don't really have much of a starting point, between apt and deb packages installing things in linux is easy, it's getting rid of shit that's a royal pain in the ass, at least for a newbie like myself.

7Th

firehawk12 said:
No clue... but he's the Kyubey of that show anyway.

It's a she, and she is a relatively useless pet mascot rather than a mentor/power-giving mascot like QB. The show isn't worth it, by the way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
It's a she, and she is a relatively useless pet mascot rather than a mentor/power-giving mascot like QB. The show isn't worth it, by the way.
I thought it was female, but I couldn't remember.

I still need to watch the last arc of that show sometime though. Although I have no idea why. :lol

Jex

Cencroroll: Doing an film based around things that transform is a pretty good way to show off some cool animation.

That's about it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mazinger Z vs. Devilman: Sometimes people will say something along the lines of "show X is like a Saturday morning cartoon!". I can assure you that they have probably forgotten what a true Saturday morning cartoon looks like.

It involves odd design choices, inconsistent animation, a complete lack of narrative logic, scenes just follow on from each other, very little character work, very odd/bad cinematography and woeful editing. Although thankfully these were the days before rapid-fire editing and shaky cam.

X-men

Emo Cyclops strikes again and
current Emma looks hot. It looks like they could be going with the "rival recruitment school" part of her story

Gonna be fun
if/when Jean returns :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
Sunrise's 2011:

Spring: Tiger & Bunny, Gintama
Summer: Sacred Seven
Fall: Kyoukaisen-jou no Horizon, rumored new Gundam

And they're all going to be 26 episodes or longer. DAMN.

And will all fall apart after 5 episodes. (probably).

Dresden

I guess the Japanese cast for P4 will return then if an anime is made... Rie Kugimiya... ugh. Can't they import Laura Bailey?

jman2050 said:
Wait Rie is in Persona 4?

That game was on my to-get list anyway buuuuut...
Its only the english dub in the NA version.

firehawk12 said:
Clever!

I can't remember, did the P3 anime suck?
Yes but thats because it shit all to do with P3 beyond a cameo from some of the characters.

Solune

Dresden said:
I guess the Japanese cast for P4 will return then if an anime is made... Rie Kugimiya... ugh. Can't they import Laura Bailey?
I-it's not like Rise's going to confess her love in the anime anyways!

Geneijin

Did your avatar get mod changed jman?

mAcOdIn said:
No, it's that you and, who was the other, kept still trying to rank the girl's progress despite the show proving on many occasion that you couldn't apply that logic to it.
To be fair it was a non sequitur and started off as a way to correlate each character's popularity with how much screen presence they got. And also, a troll on harem anime logic, but it became its own thing from there.

Hellsing321 said:
I'm already thinking who'll compose the music.

jman2050 said:
Wait Rie is in Persona 4?

That game was on my to-get list anyway buuuuut...
Unless you get an undub or something, you won't hear from her.

suzu

It wasn't really an actual "Persona 3" anime was it? I thought it was some random spin off that had a cameo from one of the characters from P3.

Dead

well not really...yet
suzu said:
It wasn't really an actual "Persona 3" anime was it? I thought it was some random spin off that had a cameo from one of the characters from P3.
pretty much

7Th

There isn't any show this season that won't turn bad after 7-8 episodes. Hanasaku Iroha? Christ, did you guys see what happened to the last Ando+Okada P.A. Works show? And you expect them to keep it up for 26 episodes? Tiger & Bunny? It's Sunrise, for fucksake. Dororon Enma-kun? Brain Base shows not directed by Omori usually fall apart long before the ending. X-Men? They blew their budget in the first three episodes, clearly.

Dresden

7Th said:
There isn't any show this season that won't turn bad after 7-8 episodes. Hanasaku Iroha? Christ, did you guys see what happened to the last Ando+Okada P.A. Works show? And you expect them to keep it up for 26 episodes? Tiger & Bunny? It's Sunrise, for fucksake. Dororon Enma-kun? Brain Base shows not directed by Omori usually fall apart long before the ending. X-Men? They blew their budget in the first three episodes, clearly.
Yeah, and [C] is going to suck anyways. I should just give up on animu and start playing ping pong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
I love you too!

Cwarrior

stein Gate ep1

after the impression on gaf, I came with low expection, but i really enjoyed this, young paranoide scientist is pretty funny aswell as the rest of the cast such forum nerd and happy hostage girl.

can't wait for the next episode

this anime season shits on the last

Steroyd

Hen Zemi TV - 01

Was curious how they were going to do a TV episode of the OVA's (could easily see the show running thin very quickly) but keeping it at a half episode length keeps the balance in check.

Wait wait I see an uncensored version of what I watched, I don't normally double dip but now I'm curious... o_O

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So Madoka is on hold or something. Can anyone get me up to date on what happened? I was going to start it this weekend.

Steroyd

Trojita said:
So Madoka is on hold or something. Can anyone get me up to date on what happened? I was going to start it this weekend.

Some weeks ago an earthquake happened in japan, Madoka got delayed indefinitely and then it's timeslot got usurped by a shitty show called A-Channel.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:

The only show i have a good feeling about falling apart mid-way is Tiger and bunny and maybe X-men? (still not completely convinced on that even if the second episode was gud). Yeah I'm being optimistic.:)

Dororon enma-kun director track record seems to say that he's really good with these type of shows, plus being a go nagai adaptation probably means it will get more crazy and over-the-top as it progresses, don't really see it falling apart tbh. (again I'm being optimistic!)

As for Hanasaku iroha while canaan ended up pretty terrible, i think it's terribleness was telegraphed from the first episode, the only good thing about that premiere was the direction and action that's it, as soon as those things went downhill the shitty writing and characterization (which were all in the first episode) started to stand out more, iroha at least has endearing characters and solid writing (without any of the silliness canaan had) to keep it going.

Joe Molotov

Steroyd said:
Hen Zemi TV - 01

Was curious how they were going to do a TV episode of the OVA's (could easily see the show running thin very quickly) but keeping it at a half episode length keeps the balance in check.

Wait wait I see an uncensored version of what I watched, I don't normally double dip but now I'm curious... o_O

I'm not sure what was censored, but I downloaded the UNCENSORED version, and there wasn't really anything too questionable. No pervo material. It's just really weird and gross.

Instro

Steroyd said:
Some weeks ago an earthquake happened in japan, Madoka got delayed indefinitely and then it's timeslot got usurped by a shitty show called A-Channel.

Come on we all know A-Channel is better than Madoka.

NeonZ

Jexhius said:
CencrorollMazinger Z vs. Devilman: Sometimes people will say something along the lines of "show X is like a Saturday morning cartoon!". I can assure you that they have probably forgotten what a true Saturday morning cartoon looks like.

It involves odd design choices, inconsistent animation, a complete lack of narrative logic, scenes just follow on from each other, very little character work, very odd/bad cinematography and woeful editing. Although thankfully these were the days before rapid-fire editing and shaky cam.

That movie was subpar even compared to the 70s show. The animation was better though, so you might get an idea of how bad the animation of the tv show was, but otherwise... Not to say that the original 70s show doesn't feel like a Saturday morning cartoon though, especially with oddities like an episode that featured a random talking crow. However, the movies generally managed to be worse, in spite of better animation - the one exception might be Mazinger Z vs Ankoku Daishogun, but that one is really hurt by its first few and last few minutes.

The Devilman/Mazinger movie, specifically, aside from the obvious crossover, also was a replacement for one of the Mazinger Z 70s tv anime arcs (introducing the Scrander) and it's just a really poor work compared to that story, in spite of the superior animation.

The anime had an entire continuous arc (its first one after the first few episodes, actually) devoted to showing the Mazinger's limits, in order to introduce the Scrander... In the movie, it's just a random invention introduced near the ending. In fact, almost everything there just felt "random".

duckroll

Hellsing321 said:

http://www.mayonaka-tv.jp is registered by Aniplex, and some of the source code is hosted on http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation/

If you access the site using a DoCoMo phone, you get this: http://twitpic.com/4iucmf

It clearly says the page header is "Persona 4 Animation".

Seems like an open and shut case to me. Will wait for announcement to see if there's a better staff/studio assembled this time. Trinity Soul was awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom