• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
This page is a real downer.
It's hard to believe that this season will end up as good as it seems to be, being pessimistic will lessen the inevitable disappointment.:(

flawfuls

Tiger and Bunny episode 2

An entertaining episode once again. The show is pretty cliche, but I guess that is part of it's charm.

Steroyd

Instro said:
Come on we all know A-Channel is better than Madoka.

Chiyo.gif

Geneijin

Hen Zemi TV - 1
Odd to say the very least. It's certainly unique as well I guess? I might continue with this to see how often it'll rile up my comfort zone. The staircase segment of the episode wasn't unexpected.
Guy taking upskirt photos? Seeing it so often in anime lessened the leap in mindset for me. So when the photographer's reason turned out to be to reveal an unseen world or something along those lines, I got a mild chuckle out of the justification because it's a somewhat ornament way of diminishing the very nature of the act.

The NTR fetish and boundaries issue (or joke?) caught my amusement though. The NTR fetish not so much because it's odd to comprehend a person of that age having such a fetish to put it quite frankly, so I wasn't readily able to accept it.

7Th said:
There isn't any show this season that won't turn bad after 7-8 episodes. Hanasaku Iroha? Christ, did you guys see what happened to the last Ando+Okada P.A. Works show? And you expect them to keep it up for 26 episodes? Tiger & Bunny? It's Sunrise, for fucksake. Dororon Enma-kun? Brain Base shows not directed by Omori usually fall apart long before the ending. X-Men? They blew their budget in the first three episodes, clearly.
So you are saying things will definately be shit once the get to the 7th, makes sense to me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What the fuck did you guys make me watch with Madoka?!?!?

Meh =/! Only one episode but really... the cute girly aesthetics are not doing it for me. Also... magical girls. With transformations..... makes me feel like old times watching Toonami and Sailor Moon coming before DBZ.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Relix said:

Meh =/! Only one episode but really... the cute girly aesthetics are not doing it for me. Also... magical girls. With transformations..... makes me feel like old times watching Toonami and Sailor Moon coming before DBZ.

Have to watch the first three episodes. See what you think then.

Geneijin

Relix said:

Just give it until Episode 3 before you make judgments and report back when you do. They really don't want to spoil it for you, which is why they haven't said anything except reach up to that point.

Tiger & Bunny 2

Good episode. Like flawfuls said, it's charmingly cliche. Tiger is a very likable guy and I hope things work out for him.

Relix said:

This has been said a billion times, but the first 2 episodes are incredibly deceptive. Don't drop it until you see 3.

Lain

Relix said:

I think you should try to first watch it fully and only after get bitter about it.
Especially when you consider that even the first episode of Madoka is dark enough to give you the right amonut of hints that the show isn't going into rainbow and sugar territory.
Also, helps keeping in mind that the character designs being the way they are reinforce the feeling of oppression the show tries to go for, and that it's normal that magical girls transform. If they didn't they wouldn't be magical girls.

duckroll said:
Don't bother. The show sucks. Overrated garbage with no ending.
I thought no ending was the actual ending!

Geneijin

cosmicblizzard said:
This has been said a billion times, but the first 2 episodes are incredibly deceptive. Don't drop it until you see 3.

And look at it this way Relix, I was spoiled of the intended effect of Episode 3. Even if I were to start watching Madoka, it wouldn't nearly have as strong of an effect than someone like you would have if you watched it without knowing those spoilers. It's the better way.

Also, Madoka fans might have to spoil the Episode 3 if there's this much hesitation for a 3 episode commitment =P

I really hope this thread isn't just about new anime, because if it is....... then I'm posting in the wrong place!
Anyways, I'm watching Naruto through at the moment for the first time. It's not bad though the whole re-cap / flashback structure of the show is slowly but surely driving me insane.
I'm up to episode 79 right now. I remember reading a while back that the filler comes thick and fast after about the 100th episode.
Can anybody break this down for me? Where should I watch upto, what should I definitely avoid and are the fillers as bad as I've read?
Thanks in advance!

p.s: Gaara is a cock! Really hope he dies soon

Geneijin

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
I really hope this thread isn't just about new anime, because if it is....... then I'm posting in the wrong place!
Anyways, I'm watching Naruto through at the moment for the first time. It's not bad though the whole re-cap / flashback structure of the show is slowly but surely driving me insane.
I'm up to episode 79 right now. I remember reading a while back that the filler comes thick and fast after about the 100th episode.
Can anybody break this down for me? Where should I watch upto, what should I definitely avoid and are the fillers as bad as I've read?
Thanks in advance!

I dropped Naruto after a certain episode in the triple digits once a major event got concluded. Everything else after it was filler. You could easily start Shippuden after you finish that point from what I've read. You'll know when the filler starts when it does although I'll wait for more opinions before you follow what I've said. I haven't kept up with Naruto since those filler arcs started really.

Lain

I'll maintain my stance that Madoka was good since the first episode. It had good direction, nice pacing and a wtf feel to go along a darkish atmosphere that showed a lot of promises.
And the best ending ever.

Geneijin

Be the nice Madoka fan and spoil it for Relix, Lain. It'd be the best thing to do. You've already said too much compare to your other converts here!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lain said:
I'll maintain my stance that Madoka was good since the first episode. It had good direction, nice pacing and a wtf feel to go along a darkish atmosphere that showed a lot of promises.
And the best ending ever.
I disagree!

*Drives off!*

Thanks in advance!

You're fine for a while. I can't remember where exactly it starts, but I think it's in the 130s or so. At that point, you can just skip right to Shippuden.

Edit: Yep, 136 is the start of the 2 year long filler.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Thanks in advance!

Watch till 135. There are some fillers around 102,103 up to 108 I think. Something along those lines. If you watch an episode about a stupid race... that's filler. Skip those episodes. After Episode 135 you can skip to the last half of Episode 220 and then jump to Shippuuden.

Lain

doomed1 said:
I disagree!

*Drives off!*
Well, true, the ending is only the best ever if you like to be trolled hard and think
that the girls will be trapped in an infinite time-loop of misery and depression for the rest of their lives or at least for months to come

Kettch

The first Madoka episode was amazing, only topped by the 8th and possibly 10th. I can definitely understand the hesitation though, I never would have touched the series if it hadn't been from Shaft. And I was still pretty wary of the whole magical girl part of the show until it completed the shift.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's funny how the magical girl trappings were the only reason why i started watching madoka in the first place lolz.

jman2050

Lafiel said:
It's funny how the magical girl trappings were the only reason why i started watching madoka in the first place lolz.

For me it was basically...

*Madoka Magica...*

"Eh, an original magical girl series? Well I might check it out, those tend to be hit or miss nowadays--"

*...made by SHAFT*

"...Sign me up!"

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lain said:
Well, true, the ending is only the best ever if you like to be trolled hard and think
that the girls will be trapped in an infinite time-loop of misery and depression for the rest of their lives or at least for months to come
Actually, I do agree that it's the Best End(tm), but everything else I disagree with. I felt the pacing was uneven (though predictable) and not particularly wtf worthy.

The Twelve Kingdoms 16-18 (that one last time was 15 actually) - Long, slow sidestory arc, telling the backstory of the guy from ep. 15, a person from Earth who's actually a Kirin and is brought to the Twelve Kingdoms at age 10. Almost nothing happens most of the time and it's definitely on the dull side. It's not actually bad really, it's all done well and I mostly liked it, but this is a very, very slow part. This could have compressed all three of these into one episode I bet. But I guess they couldn't think of enough other stuff to fill out 50 episodes with, or something... oh well, it's alright, just not nearly like the story arc that came before it. (You did mention this stuff happens in this show, didn't you mAcOdIn... it's true.)

Kampfer Fur die Liebe 1
tiff said:
I like the fanservice episodes more than when they try to get plot out of the way. Much more enjoyable.
Oh, I didn't actually dislike the episode. It's a decently good Kampfer fanservice episode (with more sexual content than previously). I was just hoping for some kind of continuation of the plot, considering that it ends with a cliffhanger... oh well.

Pretty sure this was established at some point during the first season.
I guess so. They make it even clearer now though, it's their only scene in the episode, but they have a group bath scene.

firehawk12 said:
The actual last episode that had nothing to do with the show itself. Zombie just ended with a random fanservice episode as well.
Fanservice is popular, so end that way if you don't really have plans for having an actual ending anyway, I guess? Kind of annoying, but oh well...

No, this was on TV which is why it was "out". The other episode comes out in May.
Oh, okay.

I guess Kampfer sold enough for them to do weird softcore sex humour but not enough to do an entire season.
:(

Fantasy novels are American light novels and ASoIaF is the Madoka of the fantasy genre!
Sure, ASoIaF is darker than most fantasy, but no, that's absolutely not true. SWure, some fantasy books are for younger audiences, but there are lots that are for older audiences too -- I'd certainly say that Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, etc.'s books are for adults for sure. Considering how thick all of their books are (all three write very long books), most younger readers would probably be too intimidated by the size to ever start them... :) (On that note, Tad Williams is really good. Otherland; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; Shadowmarch... all fantastic series!)

Last Exile
doomed1 said:
It's basically every moment outside of a Vanship and battle was hit or miss. There were some decent points, but the technical stuff was really sloppy in parts. When they were fleshing out the fight between Claus and Lavie, it really became apparent. It was just off kilter and sloppily done. I've definitely seen worse and it's not the point of the show, so it doesn't really take ALL that much away from it, but it is what it is.
Huh. I don't remember noticing that.

And yeah, I'm something of a sci-fi buff, so when they essentially described terraforming, I was like
"Oh, they're the descendants of humans who came to the planet and their world-ship just never activated its terraforming mechanism."
Or something like that. And once you got a space view of the two planets, it also made a good amount of sense. Really, the obtuseness of some of it was't my concern. They were already using Claudia Fluid as a piece of handwavium, so the little details weren't that tough to kind of shrug off.
Yeah, that is what happened, as far as terraforming goes...
things went wrong and the terraformer was never activated.
As I said though, one of my few criticisms of the show would be that I also wish they'd made it clear at the end as to whether the terraformer fixed up part/all of the dual planets they were on, or whether it brought them somewhere else. The show doesn't tell you which one it is, really, which is too bad; it'd be nice to know. Oh well though, they're better off now and in a place which isn't resource-poor, so it doesn't matter THAT much. It'd just be nice to know. As you say most things are explained, I agree, but not that.

Also, I cried a manly tear when it looked like they were having Mullin Shetland's funeral and I cheered QUITE loudly when I saw that he wasn't dead! Best character lives!
Yeah, it was nice to see that he lived, I agree. :)

Mai-Hime 11

Even the friggin nun's a Hime? At this point, it would be easier to guess who doesn't end up being a Hime. Student council president definitely is at least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
Fanservice is popular, so end that way if you don't really have plans for having an actual ending anyway, I guess? Kind of annoying, but oh well...
Yeah, it's an easy out and probably as effective as the non-ending anyway.

Sure, ASoIaF is darker than most fantasy, but no, that's absolutely not true. SWure, some fantasy books are for younger audiences, but there are lots that are for older audiences too -- I'd certainly say that Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, etc.'s books are for adults for sure. Considering how thick all of their books are (all three write very long books), most younger readers would probably be too intimidated by the size to ever start them... :) (On that note, Tad Williams is really good. Otherland; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; Shadowmarch... all fantastic series!)
I dunno, most nerd stuff is for adult males anyway... or nerds broadly. I can say the same for science fiction for the most part. There's nothing wrong with that, but when you read bad fantasy/science fiction, you can't help but feel a bit silly. At least with IS I'm just wasting 22 minutes * 12 episodes.

Oh, and of course, when I was a young nerd I thought longer books were cool because they gave you more "value for your money", so length probably plays into nerds being nerds. :lol

Dresden

That can't be the actual opening for Maria Holic. I guess they're still not done with it.
firehawk12 said:
Oh, and of course, when I was a young nerd who thought longer books were cool because they gave you more "value for your money", so length probably plays into nerds being nerds. :lol
Some smaller sf/fantasy novels get larger fonts just so that the book looks thicker overall. Rofl. Size of dictionaries or bust.

I'm just bitter because some of the books I bought this year feel like they've been self-published, complete with size 14 font.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Some smaller sf/fantasy novels get larger fonts just so that the book looks thicker overall. Rofl. It needs to be the size of a dictionary or the fanbase don't apparently feel that they're getting enough of a return on that investment.

I'm just bitter because some of the books I bought this year feel like they've been self-published, complete with size 14 font.
Oh, hardcovers always had funky fonts. I never put one and one together and figured out why though!

---

Sket Dance is... I dunno? I have no real idea what that was meant to be. Sentimental comedy in the vein of Key/Angel Beats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom