• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Is that what that was?
Not sure about moe, but the yuri was there.

5BSu6l.jpg

I'm looking forward to Iroha becoming a story about three girls finding love. Between each other.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
I'm still confidant it was made for a female audience.

Marimite is serialized in Cobalt which, according to wiki, was originally aimed towards young girls (thus shoujo). Although recently its readerbase trends more older and the male readership is increasing.

Jexhius said:
Oh, so that's what happened to I Am Now. That wasn't very clever.

I'm still confused. Did he get banned or something? Or did he just have his avatar taken away?

Jex

I Am Now said:
Not enough space? Are you running a 256Mb harddrive? If you hate .gif avatars, don't try to make it seem like you're not removing them on purpose. Own up to your ulterior motives.
EviLore said:
I didn't say "not enough space," dipshit.
I Am Now said:
"avatar file sizes need to remain manageable in the new system"
EviLore said:
And that has what exactly to do with hard drive size? If I'm going to have 60,000 images hosted, I want the file sizes to be small so it's not a concern in any way. So pages load quickly and it's not running up a tremendous amount of data transfer every month.
I Am Now said:
Yeah, that would make sense in 1999, but this is the year of our based god 2011. Our internet can handle 50-100 images less than 200Kb without any trouble. You're taking them away just because you don't like them, and that makes you selfish.

Great website you're running, here.

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
But Hirano Aya can't be a new character. If she wasn't here on GAF already, she's gone forever!
At her age there's nothing new anyways! Remember, the assumption was that she was already a member.
Geneijin said:
Wait a minute, shouldn't you be damn scared then!? Or are you saying it'll be a great sadistic pleasure?
I neither fear nor take pleasure in kindey stones nor Seikon no Qwaser, just saying they're about equal and people can infer what that means on their own.
Droplet said:
Anyway new Natsume Yuujinchou? I'm happy already.
Me too.

Lain

Jexhius said:
Sometimes you have to get a message across to people. Reach them, as it where. You need to do it in under two seasons as well, none of this anime-writing beating around the bush stuff.
:lol
You reminded me that I still have to start on the second season of Reaching You.

Finished Lotte, Rie was good and spoke much more than she did in Dragon Crisis, plus she used single urusai instead of the usual triple one.

Dresden

Oh, so animated avatars are gone?

So much for an avatar of Jaime Lannister plowing his (Game of Thrones spoiler)
sweet sister, golden buttocks pumping up and down

:(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:

Just turn that into an image macro!

zeroshiki

Dresden said:

Are they showing that? o_O Cersei's ugly ewww

I'd watch
Dany get ridden
though.

Dresden

I don't know if Dany getting plowed or fingered would be appropriate for TV, as she's supposed to be fourteen or so... oh, wait, this is HBO. Fuck yeah!

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
I don't know if Dany getting plowed or fingered would be appropriate for TV, as she's supposed to be fourteen or so... oh, wait, this is HBO. Fuck yeah!

I thought they aged them up for the series? The Stark kids will kinda be a problem if they don't.

Articalys

Geneijin said:
Like someone in that thread pointed out, it is kinda prophetic how his user box now reads as

I Am Now
Banned
[date/time etc etc.]

So, what's big that's left to still air? Both noitaminA shows, the other Rie Kugimiya one, TWGOK 2, Denpa Onna, and Deadman, right?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
Are they showing that? o_O Cersei's ugly ewww

I'd watch
Dany get ridden
though.

I'm pretty sure i saw a quick shot of that in one of the trailers

Oh they've got enough episodes for him to appear and do something else, mores the pity.
Since they referenced him in the latest episode, I'm pretty sure they are going find a way of making him appear later in the series!

Dresden

Articalys said:
So, what's big that's left to still air? Both noitaminA shows and TWGOK2, right?
Yep.

Lafiel said:
Since they referenced him in the first episode, I'm pretty sure they are going find a way of making him appear later in the series!
Yeah, he'll send her a text which she won't see.

Geneijin

Nonoriri said:
Didn't notice :lol

At least it wasn't 666.

Dresden said:

Hito foretold this. I blame the messenger.

Articalys said:
So, what's big that's left to still air? Both noitaminA shows, the other Rie Kugimiya one, TWGOK 2, Denpa Onna, and Deadman, right?
I have faith in Moshidora ;(

Even Dresden keeps forgetting. I thought I had a comrade.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 21 - Oh snap at that ending, i wonder what's going happen when taiga
finds out who is really carrying her? is she going revert back to tsun-tsun.:lol

Love Hina 20-24 - Yup, I still like the show. It feels incomplete without Again and the movies, though, I'll have to watch those again too now... (Darn you Mutsume, trying to use Keitaro's feelings for "whoever it was" he made the promise with to get him to be with you, even though you knew that it was actually Naru he'd made the promise with... I know she knew that if he knew the truth he'd stay with Naru, but it doesn't make you look good for sure.)

Also, is there some symmetry between the ending of the TV series, where the girls (Mutsumi excepted of course) work together to get Keitaro to come back, and the end of Love Hina Again, when he confronts each of them before solidifying his relationship with Naru a little more... maybe, but I'd need to watch the Again part again to be sure.

mAcOdIn said:
I know why they do it and fuck them!
It's not that bad really.

Dog Days, ok, I hate Dresden now. This show sucks. I don't even think prancing around and tapping people on the back counts as action but whatever it is there's a lot of it. But sure, the cat girl was alright although that kind of pisses me off as I was hoping they'd make dogs superior for once. Fucking bastards. I still think the dogs should have won in Asobi no Iku Yo. But it's better than Nichijou. Anyways, so what nation's going to bring the girl that actually beat our hero in that competition in the human world over as their hero? We know it's coming, think it'll be the cats or an as of yet unknown country?
Nichijou is the only show this season with a legitimate chance of being anything memorable and beyond the okay but quite average stuff that makes up most of the season's lineup. Dog Days is vapidly amusing, but Nichijou is vastly superior.

No, I existed before A Black Falcon and will continue to exist without A Black Falcon, A Black Falcon however probably can't exist without me, he'd wander the forums day in and day out, neglecting his hygiene and health until one day he passes at his desk. Who am I kidding, he'd do fine, probably better without me, he'd rarely be challenged on his favorite shows and since his posts would be shorter more of ya'll would read them and he'd feel like a part of the group. Maybe I'm actually killing A Black Falcon just by being here?
Hah, but I regularly end up writing long quote-filled posts, and not just on this forum... but yeah to keep it going you do need someone else also willing to write posts as long.

pieatorium said:
Softenni 1
Pretty damn awful, unfunny and stupid.
Whats with the randomly censoring some panty shots but not others? that awful oniichan show from last season also did this.
I thought some things were funny, even if overall it certainly wasn't anything special, but yeah, on that last point it is odd... I can't think of anything that causes them to censor some and not others. Is there some per-episode quota they have to stay under or something? :)

Geneijin said:
:lol (and the other smilies), animated avatars, I think it's well proven that those decisions are made because they're what EviLore prefers. He's in charge so it's his decision, but banning people over criticizing it? Did that "." post originally contain something worse than it does now, or something?

It would be awesome if this actually leads to us getting search back though, if it's one or the other I'd choose search every time... that I've been wanting back ever since it vanished. It would be great if this allows for a reduced enough server load to allow it to return.

Geneijin said:
Hmm, I'm not sure what I think, I don't know anything about the story to this one... is it good? Looks like it has a lot of action, and an eyepatch girl is one of the main characters... bah. Not sure how interested I am.

tiff said:
I haven't been posting about it but I'm watching the series too. I've warmed up to it since the first episode.
Oh, alright. Good to know some other people do like Gosick.

zeroshiki said:
GRRM writes more believable characters IMO. Jordan likes his flowery words. For world building and actual plot, GRRM stands above Jordan.
Both have good world building. I will say, though, again probably, that GRRM's feels more authentically medieval than Jordan's, or than most fantasy's, and that is something I really like about his work. But Jordan's world is large and very well thought out, everything is well explained. I find Jordan's books very easy to read, I always read through them much quicker than their size would suggest... also, just because GRRM's work is darker and more depressing doesn't mean that it's better. Darker and better are separate categories, I don't think he's a better writer just because he's so willing to kill off major characters.

Oh, ABF why must you hurt me so. You skip this but you watch Infinite Stratos and Samurai Girls?
There's worse, just look at what I watched last season... but hey, I didn't say it was bad. Just that I'm not sure that Hanasaku Iroha's my thing. Maybe I'll try it again, not sure.

Yes. This.
Yeah, that "just switch l's and r's" stuff is kind of annoying, sure it sort of appears to sound that way, but it's not accurate.

zeroshiki

A Black Falcon said:
Nichijou is the only show this season with a legitimate chance of being anything memorable and beyond the okay but quite average stuff that makes up most of the season's lineup. Dog Days is vapidly amusing, but Nichijou is vastly superior.

Hanasaku Iroha -_-

Both have good world building. I will say, though, again probably, that GRRM's feels more authentically medieval than Jordan's, or than most fantasy's, and that is something I really like about his work. But Jordan's world is large and very well thought out, everything is well explained. I find Jordan's books very easy to read, I always read through them much quicker than their size would suggest... also, just because GRRM's work is darker and more depressing doesn't mean that it's better. Darker and better are separate categories, I don't think he's a better writer just because he's so willing to kill off major characters.

You're right. GRRM writes worlds that are quite a bit less fantastical than most fantasy. That's what I love about his stuff though. The ability to make everything feel so consistent and so logical that I actually have to think deeper and analyze a character's motivations to figure out what and why they were doing stuff. There's no "the wizard did it" in GRRM's world.

I tried reading Malazan after a massive ASOIAF marathon and I couldn't get through 1/4 of the book. Having wizards and stuff just throwing fireballs at each other just felt hokey to me.

There's worse, just look at what I watched last season... but hey, I didn't say it was bad. Just that I'm not sure that Hanasaku Iroha's my thing. Maybe I'll try it again, not sure.

You could give it the ole 3 episode try. Then again, I'm not sure how you'd come to like it if the first didn't appeal to you. I get the appeal of watching vapid actively bad shows versus just something harmless, I guess.

Just saw Hanasaku Iroha episode one this morning. Doesn't do anything new, but I kind of enjoyed it anyway. I think I'll keep watching.

Jex

A Black Falcon said:
Nichijou is the only show this season with a legitimate chance of being anything memorable and beyond the okay but quite average stuff that makes up most of the season's lineup.
What is this I'm reading here.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
It's not that bad really.
It IS that bad. I wouldn't mind if after every episode they showed something new or if there was nothing after every episode and I wouldn't mind if there was always a recap with nothing new before an episode or no recap at all but it's the inconsistency of it all that kills me. And again look at Laste Exile, there was 20 plus episodes to that series, if there were no recaps you'd have the equivalent of an entire 'nother episode to play with time wise, they could have made the ending make sense or something, instead they waste their time for recaps for people who find the series complicated or some shit.
A Black Falcon said:
Oh heaven's no. First, Hanasaku Iroha shits all over Nichijou, second what is Nichijou if not also vapidly amusing, assuming one finds it amusing? We're not going to say it's intelligent humor are we? But best shot at being essentially the show of the season? Not a snowball's chance in hell that's true, it's already been bested and there's still other stuff coming that's more promising.
A Black Falcon said:
Hah, but I regularly end up writing long quote-filled posts, and not just on this forum... but yeah to keep it going you do need someone else also willing to write posts as long.
Man, the way you threw that out there is like you just admitted you cheated on GAF. How could you post on other forums?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 22 - Great i wonder what drama will unfold if taiga finds out that
ryujii is lying to her

Only 3 more to go!

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
:lol (and the other smilies), animated avatars, I think it's well proven that those decisions are made because they're what EviLore prefers. He's in charge so it's his decision, but banning people over criticizing it? Did that "." post originally contain something worse than it does now, or something?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27038545&postcount=519
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27038632&postcount=545
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27038668&postcount=555
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27038712&postcount=566
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27038811&postcount=588

Nope. The punctuation was saying "this" was what he was referring to.

Hmm, I'm not sure what I think, I don't know anything about the story to this one... is it good? Looks like it has a lot of action, and an eyepatch girl is one of the main characters... bah. Not sure how interested I am.
No clue. It's a trailer and hasn't been released yet.

I rather Planetarian or Tomoyo After get an anime adaptation before anything else really.

Hanasaku Iroha
Just watched the first episode. I love how it looks, it's so visually appealing and the colours are beautiful. The characters are introduced well and nicely complex.

I do want to watch Spirited Away now though, I can imagine this happening every week.

Nichijou 02 - Not quite as good as the previous two, probably (OVA or ep. 1) but still there was some pretty good stuff here... this is definitely a funny show, and not entirely predictable either. It does some original things, which is part of what I was talking about when saying how good it is.

... When is this set anyway, though? In this episode we saw a Famicom and a Virtual Boy, for instance, and there was a joke about long Famicom password saves...

Also, the Nano and Professor parts are pretty good. In each one so far they've been among the better parts of the episodes. This one was weird (the professor having food hidden in parts of Nano's body), but amusing... :)

Hanasaku Iroha 01 - Fine, fine, I went back and finished the first episode. I can see why people are calling it good, sure, but it's just not really my thing... they treat her horribly (I don't like watching that) and she respons by ... working at it harder?

zeroshiki said:
Hanasaku Iroha -_-
For people who like it, perhaps, at least it might be better than most of the rest of the shows this season anyway, in terms of overall quality at least if not in terms of how much I want to watch them. But Nichijou's my favorite one so far.

You're right. GRRM writes worlds that are quite a bit less fantastical than most fantasy. That's what I love about his stuff though. The ability to make everything feel so consistent and so logical that I actually have to think deeper and analyze a character's motivations to figure out what and why they were doing stuff. There's no "the wizard did it" in GRRM's world.
"The wizard did it" with no explanation is not a good plot device, but explaining exactly how your world's magic system works, and then consistently following those rules, is. That's really what I want to see, internal consistency within the world. Don't just make stuff up as you go along, come up with a system and follow it.

GRRM obviously does that, but you certainly can have that in a system with more magic too. It depends on the skill of the author...

I tried reading Malazan after a massive ASOIAF marathon and I couldn't get through 1/4 of the book. Having wizards and stuff just throwing fireballs at each other just felt hokey to me.
Bah, fireballs are fun. What's the point of having a fantasy world if you're using almost no fantasy elements? GRRM could have done it without the fantasy elements and so far it'd be just about as good really... I know there have been a few things (whatever's north of the wall, some undead, dragons), but not much.

I don't know Malazan though.

(Oh, and to be clear, I think ASoIaF is great. But I like The Wheel of Time more, and probably Tad Williams' books too. Maybe others, not sure... but GRRM's definitely a top-tier fantasy author no question.)

You could give it the ole 3 episode try. Then again, I'm not sure how you'd come to like it if the first didn't appeal to you. I get the appeal of watching vapid actively bad shows versus just something harmless, I guess.
Well, I was thinking it was alright until we met the evil grandmother,

mAcOdIn said:
It IS that bad. I wouldn't mind if after every episode they showed something new or if there was nothing after every episode and I wouldn't mind if there was always a recap with nothing new before an episode or no recap at all but it's the inconsistency of it all that kills me. And again look at Laste Exile, there was 20 plus episodes to that series, if there were no recaps you'd have the equivalent of an entire 'nother episode to play with time wise, they could have made the ending make sense or something, instead they waste their time for recaps for people who find the series complicated or some shit.

Oh heaven's no. First, Hanasaku Iroha shits all over Nichijou, second what is Nichijou if not also vapidly amusing, assuming one finds it amusing? We're not going to say it's intelligent humor are we? But best shot at being essentially the show of the season? Not a snowball's chance in hell that's true, it's already been bested and there's still other stuff coming that's more promising.

Man, the way you threw that out there is like you just admitted you cheated on GAF. How could you post on other forums?
What, once one starts posting on GAF you're supposed to stop posting on all other forums? Sorry, no. :)

Geneijin said:
All right, I see what it was referring to now. Still, seems like a somewhat weak thing to ban over. I know that happens here though, quick bans.

No clue. It's a trailer and hasn't been released yet.

I rather Planetarian or Tomoyo After get an anime adaptation before anything else really.
It just looks somewhat generic for Key, hopefully it's more interesting than it seems.

Steroyd

All right, I see what it was referring to now. Still, seems like a somewhat weak thing to ban over. I know that happens here though, quick bans.

He's practically calling Evillore a selfish bastard/forum dictator, given how Gaf moderating generally works, this is one of the stronger reasons for a ban.

Azazel san - 1

I was wondering for the longest of times why Azezal was labelled a sex comedy, turns out I must have watched the OVA, I'm grateful it's only half an episode long, too much stuff to keep up with. @_@
lol @ Rie's erm... "sounds"

Swag

Pouring some liquor for I Am Now, his avatar will be sorely missed.

Have so much to catch up on today, can't wait to watch some Lotte

Jex

Lafiel said:
Toradora 22 - Great i wonder what drama will unfold if taiga finds out that
ryujii is lying to her

Only 3 more to go!
Your new avatar is irrationally bothering me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
Your new avatar is irrationally bothering me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.
Me too, but I've been meaning to change it!

Toradora 23 - DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA. That last scene was cringe worthy, and felt like the whole situation could have been handled in a far less melodramatic way.

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Does EviLore only do permabans? I hate sites where you can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom