• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKTrix

sammyCYBORG said:
sammyCYBORG
Time of Eve fan I presume? You're in good company here.
zeroshiki said:
Hirano Aya is like a D-list Idol.
Japan's Olivia Munn?
Branduil said:
Or Arjuna.
This is a good candidate for hate. The best ones are the ones that have potential or other good things about them, rather than ones that are just plain bad all around.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Hatin' on Glass Fleet is like shooting fish in a barrel. Also, it has it's awful charms.

I haven't really hated something since Stardust Memory. Then again I haven't really been excited by something (bar Wandering Son) since Infinite Ryvius.
Arjuna would be a good choice then, given it's not so much completely bad as constantly alternating between decency and atrociousness in an incredibly annoying way.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
Hatin' on Glass Fleet is like shooting fish in a barrel. Also, it has it's awful charms.

I haven't really hated something since Stardust Memory. Then again I haven't really been excited by something (bar Wandering Son) since Infinite Ryvius.
Well, there's Usagi Drop coming up next season if you want something to be excited about. Looks sweet enough.

As for something to hate, watch Dog Days. You might hate it, you might not. Give it a shot.

Lafiel said:
Overall i enjoyed this series much more then i think i should have, it's a very standard romcom there's nothing really special about it at all in many ways, yet i found myself strangely addicted to it, and couldn't stop watching it until i was finished.

Taiga also turned out to be fairly tolerable for a tsundere, which is a surprise. (considering she seemed fairly insufferable during the first episode).

Yea she wasn't bad imo, which is a surprise.

I didn't exactly mind the melodrama tonal shift later on in the series, although it definitely got kind of insufferable at parts, and some of the conflict just felt really unnatural at times.

Like that Minorin/Ami bitchfest/fight.

I kinda liked the whole
taiga trying to sacrifice her happiness for her best friend
dynamic, but it got to damn dramatic for it's own good.

Agreed, especially given the character invovled.

One good thing about the series in regards to the romance i noticed, is there was rarely or any status quo or spinning the wheel moments, which was fairly refreshing, I'm actually kind of surprised there was a shipping community for some of the pairings in the show, as i never really felt there were any moments where the main character would have ended up with one of the other girls, in fact who he would have ended up with seemed obvious even from the beginning.:lol

Apperantly the title of the show already indicated this lol.

More proof that Dresden has a soul of ice. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
Arjuna would be a good choice then, given it's not so much completely bad as constantly alternating between decency and atrociousness in an incredibly annoying way.
You mean when Chris comes onscreen then leaves?

Jex

Mystery Article File 538#

A nice little piece of classic Oshii from back when it was acceptable to make a totally unsellable OVA that would appeal to very few people. Then again, it was cancelled due to low sales but it's probably not the kind of project you'd bother to attempt today.

It, of course, is composed from ideas and notions that are familiar to any student of his work. One important element that you can find in the Patlabor TV/Movies, Beautiful Dreamer and this work is the notion of Tokyo or the city as this entity that needs to consume land. It's much less clear in this than in, say, Patlabor, but the focus on 'reclaimed land' and a look at older buildings shows the kind of ideas that were peculating in his mind.

Of course he'd already satisfied his more destructive urges with Beautiful Dreamer and Patlabor Movie 1 but he still has this weird attitude towards the city. He doesn't shoot in in this flattering, indulgent manner common to American TV shows or movies. It's certainly something that you can look out for in all his works.

The focus on dreams and reality is clearly the main and more obvious theme.

We also get a bit of Oshii himself, when the writer is asked to do something more normal-

oshiinsert.jpg

Surprisingly a semi-insightful piece has already been written on this OVA -
File 538 is clearly an important work in Oshii's catalog; a reflection of the short time he spent truly down on his luck after Urusei Yatsura ended, as well as an ode to his father - himself a down-and-out private detective. (For Oshii fans, Detective Matsui of Patlabor is essentially the same character.) There's a claustrophobic sense of baking to death in the small apartment, and as the man sweats in the dark shadow of the place, his eyes roll into the back of his head. For Oshii, these insufferable, surreal days of summer are when the mind starts playing tricks on oneself, and the desperation of being down on one's luck starts to take its psychological toll.

7Th

duckroll said:
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF ANGEL BEATS AND MY BRIDE IS A MERMAID COMES THE LONG AWAITED ANIME ADAPTATION OF PERSONA 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not.Enough.Lulz.

At least it isn't a Shaft+"Shinbo" show like the original rumour said.

duckroll

7Th said:

Haha. Btw, you should check the the staff listing for X-men in the other thread. Some interesting discussion points imo. Especially the storyboarder for ep4.

Jex

Now that I think about it, Oshii should really direct a Philip K. Dick anime adaptation. He should do one of the short stories and not try and stretch it out into a regular-length movie like Hollywood does, instead it could be an OVA with as much weirdness as he wants.

7Th

duckroll said:
Haha. Btw, you should check the the staff listing for X-men in the other thread. Some interesting discussion points imo. Especially the storyboarder for ep4.

I dunno; I'm kind of more interested in episode 5. Ken Ootsuka episodes tend to have great action sequences.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
At least then all the psychological stuff might look interesting.

So this is a straight adaptation and not a side-sequel whatever?

duckroll

7Th said:
Err, yes. I somehow thought that you were talking about Kawajiri's episode when you talked about the storyboarder for episode 4.

No, Kawajiri storyboarding isn't that interesting other than it probably being a noteworthy episode in terms of overall story arc significance, since he storyboarded the episodes of Iron Man and Wolverine with the main story developments.

On the other hand Niho storyboarding is highly unusual and worth discussing because it's a rare case of another notable animator taking on storyboarding duties.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Master Milk said:
I fall for that picture every time I see it. I want to believe so much.
The Chen thing gives it away sooooooo hard. I'd love to see a Mysterious Girlfriend X adaption though. :3

7Th

duckroll said:
No, Kawajiri storyboarding isn't that interesting other than it probably being a noteworthy episode in terms of overall story arc significance, since he storyboarded the episodes of Iron Man and Wolverine with the main story developments.

Well, I didn't actually watch IM and Wolverine you know.

duckroll said:
On the other hand Niho storyboarding is highly unusual and worth discussing because it's a rare case of another notable animator taking on storyboarding duties.

Hiroshi Ikehata is a pretty well-respected episode director in the sakuga-otaku community, too; should be a good episode.

duckroll

7Th said:
Well, I didn't actually watch IM and Wolverine you know.

Yeah I know, just saying! I definitely expected Kawajiri to storyboard some episodes in X-men, so it wasn't a shock.

Hiroshi Ikehata is a pretty well-respected episode director in the sakuga-otaku community, too; should be a good episode.

Yeah I know, he's affiliated with quite a few BONES works. <3

Jex

flawfuls said:
Berserk, Deadman Wonderland, P4 and what?
Well, we will be getting more of that Bakemonogatari. I mean, whatever company takes the profit from SHAFT needs to get some more of that money!

Dresden

Yeah, this morning.

This episode isn't off to a good start.

e: twgok2's start was pretty meh. Cute stuff, and judo-chan being attracted to Keima because of how weak he looks is amusing, but this arc just ends up with the action-girl needing a man to bail her out anyways.

wtb yui godou

Rektash said:
New Nadesico? ALL OVER MY FACE!

It's never going to happen, but I'm not sure I'd want it to, anyway. The original series is about as close to perfect as you can get, and I don't want anything new from Nadesico that can't at least match that level of quality.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
It's never going to happen, but I'm not sure I'd want it to, anyway. The original series is about as close to perfect as you can get, and I don't want anything new from Nadesico that can't at least match that level of quality.

^^; i take it you didnt see the movie?

Go_Ly_Dow

KuwabaraAV1.png

shindol_avatar2.png

0aNxZ.png

What ya'll looking at?

Edit: Just found it funny how all 3 were staring in to the same direction.

Edit 2: Well Lain's rotating avatars completely killed that post!

Cwarrior

Dresden said:
Three down, twenty five more to go.

am sad now :'( that's mean joke to play on me.
my reaction

uhhh there's a ace attorney anime? jc staff fuck tell me it ain't true.. oh winter 2010 fake, as check the list i got even more sad baccano 2,beserk,claymore and master kurosawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom