• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
qcf x2 said:
What's good so far? I wanna watch a few premiers. I like plots and/or action, no mo moe please.
Dororon Enma-kun (action), Hanasaku Iroha (plot), X-Men (action), Nichijou (moe action??)

Tiger and Bunny 2:
Well, that was a big step down from the first episode. Pretty much all of the attempts at humor fell flat in this episode (not Fractale levels, but still), and the drama felt a bit like someone had just read their first Spider-Man comics and decided to adapt it. I also felt like everything was wrapped up too nicely at the end. Did we really need the douchebag dude running along to tell the guy he was cool?

Disappointing after such an enjoyable first episode, but there were still some decent moments. I'll keep watching for at least one more episode.

Instro

qcf x2 said:
What's good so far? I wanna watch a few premiers. I like plots and/or action, no mo moe please.

Hanasaku Iroha
Kaiji
Dororon
X-Men
Tiger and Bunny
Toriko

are probably your best bets so far. You might also want to keep an eye on Steins Gate. Nichijou is also really good but you mentioned no moe.

Lotte's Toy is the best show this season obviously. Oh and A-Channel because it replaces Madoka.

survivor

Banned
Ok I know this is a long shot but I need some help figuring out this anime blog I visited once. The blogger was a programmer and you can tell that since some of his posts were about linux or GNU and he even had a category at the top specified for that. Also the layout was darkish. I don't remember anything else but I figure this would distinguish him from most bloggers. Still a long shot but this is the best place to ask.

7Th

I didn't find Tiger & Bunny 2 any worse than Iroha 2, myself.

You know, as good as this season is, I don't find anything particularly gripping. The most visually interesting show is Nichijou and like 50% of every episode is boring, pointless filler. I want 2011 to have its own Tatami Galaxy/Panty & Stocking, or maybe just a new Casshern Sins-type of show. I was kinda hoping C was going to fulfill my stylistic needs, but the horrible PVs completely killed my hype. I guess I still have the second Yozakura Quartet OVA to look forward to, though.

I'm still surprised X-Men turned out to be the staff-nerd show to follow.

duckroll

Considering the Winter, Spring and Summer line-up we have so far for 2011, I really wonder if there is any juice left at any studio for a solid Fall season.

Panty and Stocking season 2 for Fall 2011, confirmed!

Branduil

7Th said:
I didn't find Tiger & Bunny 2 any worse than Iroha 2, myself.

You know, as good as this season is, I don't find anything particularly gripping. The most visually interesting show is Nichijou and like 50% of every episode is boring, pointless filler. I want 2011 to have its own Tatami Galaxy/Panty & Stocking, or maybe just a new Casshern Sins-type of show. I was kinda hoping C was going to fulfill my stylistic needs, but the horrible PVs completely killed my hype. I guess I still have the second Yozakura Quartet OVA to look forward to, though.

I'm still surprised X-Men turned out to be the staff-nerd show to follow.
A show doesn't need the most amazing animation ever to be great... oh wait who am I talking to.

7Th

duckroll said:
Considering the Winter, Spring and Summer line-up we have so far for 2011, I really wonder if there is any juice left at any studio for a solid Fall season.

Panty and Stocking season 2 for Fall 2011, confirmed!

I think that's too early; isn't Goripon's IM@S anime supposed to be 25-26 episodes long?

7Th

Branduil said:
A show doesn't need the most amazing animation ever to be great... oh wait who am I talking to.

I'm not talking about "amazing" animation, though; I'm talking about anime with interesting visuals and direction that turns its stylistic features into genuine content.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like we are having a debate about directing vs animation again. Endless Eight anime thread checklist is almost complete.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
firehawk12 said:
I feel like we are having a debate about directing vs animation again. Endless Eight anime thread checklist is almost complete.

It's not really a debate though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Funny enough I'm pretty much the opposite I'm finding this season of anime to be more gripping than fall and spring and that's purely because of hanasaku iroha in addition dororon, x-men, nichijou all being extremely watchable and competent in terms of quality.

And despite the poor PVs i think C is going deliver, I'm surprised people like 7th are already in doubt, considering it's KENJI FUCKING NAKAMURA and his track record has been pretty much flawless at this point. (with the exception of the first 7 episodes of ayakashi).

7Th

Lafiel said:
And despite the poor PVs i think C is going deliver, I'm surprised people like 7th are already in doubt, considering it's KENJI FUCKING NAKAMURA and his track record has been pretty much flawless at this point. (with the exception of the first 7 episodes of ayakashi).

Nakamura didn't direct the first 7 episodes of Ayakashi, though; he was only involved in the Bakeneko arc.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
Nakamura didn't direct the first 7 episodes of Ayakashi, though.
Yeah i just found that out five seconds after i made that post, pretty much proves his track record is indeed flawless..

Branduil

7Th said:
Not at all. For example, the quality of Utena's animation is argueable, but it is an stylistically directed and visually interesting show.
I wasn't talking about production quality either.

Nonoriri

Lafiel said:

I dunno man, PV's that don't slightly misrepresent the quality of a show by cherry picking good looking stuff for hype are the kind that might just represent the actual quality of a show since there's nothing to cherry pick :(

Risette

A Good Citizen
Nonoriri said:
I dunno man, PV's that don't slightly misrepresent the quality of a show by cherry picking good looking stuff for hype are the kind that might just represent the actual quality of a show since there's nothing to cherry pick :(
I dunno, most (all?) anime trailers I've seen suck. That's why the C trailers haven't deflated my hype.

Staying optimistic 'till it actually sucks! Let's hope it doesn't.

Branduil said:

Yeah, as much as I love stylishly directed shows (Madoka would be my pick along those lines for 2011), a show can still be a masterpiece without being visually striking if other parts like plot and character and theme and whatnot are well-done, such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

7Th

Branduil said:

Even then, I didn't say that shows need to be stylistically interesting to be great, I just said that I prefer, and find more gripping, stylistically interesting shows. I'm probably going to finish, and enjoy, Hanasaku, Tiger & Bunny, Enma-kun and X-Men, unless they end up sucking too much, obviously; I'm just saying that I probably won't think about them all that much.

Branduil

7Th said:
Even then, I didn't say shows need to be stylistically interesting to be great, I just said that I prefer, and find more gripping, stylistically interesting shows.
I think pretty much every regular in the thread is aware of that.

I like interesting animation too but if I had to choose between a great story with decent visuals and a decent story with great visuals I choose the first every time.

Here comes the debate about great visuals making a great story, etc., etc.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nonoriri said:
It's not really a debate though.
I didn't see anything particularly arguable in 7th original post..

Yeah, as much as I love stylishly directed shows (Madoka would be my pick along those lines for 2011)
Really? the only thing in the series i could classify as being stylishly directed is episode 10..

Shouldn't the new show by the utena director be stated for fall?

Nonoriri

hosannainexcelsis said:
Yeah, as much as I love stylishly directed shows (Madoka would be my pick along those lines for 2011), a show can still be a masterpiece without being visually striking if other parts like plot and character and theme and whatnot are well-done, such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I don't really think Madoka is stylishly directed though, it has creative production design and stuff but it's fairly by-the-numbers otherwise.

duckroll

7Th said:
I think that's too early; isn't Goripon's IM@S anime supposed to be 25-26 episodes long?

I have no idea. That's your specialty. Anyway yeah, all the usual bigwigs seem to be busy with something or other. I don't think there's much room for an interesting Fall 2011. Anyone who isn't already busy with some series, OVA, or movie coming out in 2011, is working on Eva 3.0 and Letter to Momo instead.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
If it really is by Brain Base, like the rumors imply, I seriously doubt that.
It is stated to air this year supposedly, but if it's really by brain base, i don't see it making the date considering brain base are working on 3 shows + 1 movie this year. (and that would be considered a busy year for them).

duckroll

Lafiel said:
It is stated to air this year supposedly, but if it's really by brain base, i don't see it making the date considering brain base are working on 3 shows + 1 movie this year. (and that would be considered a busy year for them).

It doesn't matter how many shows a studio is working on though. This particular project has been in production for about a year now.

7Th

duckroll said:
It doesn't matter how many shows a studio is working on though. This particular project has been in production for about a year now.

I hope it really gets released this year... and that it turns out to be good. Ikuhara Penguins, Toei's new Rie Matsumoto movie, Bones' new Nakamura-animation showcase movie series,
The Goriponmaster
and the Redline BD are what I'm anticipating the most this year.

flawfuls

Mouryo no Hako

Wow is it hard to follow. It was too bad until they got to this long ass conversation with this Kyougokudou guy (even his name is convoluted). They keep referencing obscure Japanese literature and folklore and I just have no idea what the hell they are talking about. The show is really good though, very classy.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Battle Girls - Time Paradox

So there are no male in this world... okay... the show never really answer how they reproduce. Episode 2 managed to show the main character can be potentially useful. So far the show is just mindless fun and a lot of moe <3, it is really good to watch when your tire from work.

duckroll

7Th said:
I hope it really gets released this year... and that it turns out to be good. Ikuhara Penguins, Toei's new Rie Matsumoto movie, Bones' new Nakamura-animation showcase movie series,
The Goriponmaster
and the Redline BD are what I'm anticipating the most this year.

I think the only anime I'm really consciously anticipating is finally watching Redline on BD, and Letter to Momo whenever they release that.

7Th

duckroll said:
I think the only anime I'm really consciously anticipating is finally watching Redline on BD, and Letter to Momo whenever they release that.

I don't feel like "anticipating" something that I won't be able to see until 2013 at the earliest. :(

jman2050

Why you waste your time anticipating stuff when you can just do what I do and just wait for other people to watch see and catch up later!

duckroll

7Th said:
I don't feel like "anticipating" something that I won't be able to see until 2013 at the earliest. :(

Well, I'm anticipating it in a passive way. But it's the only future project which I am 150% certain that will be a completely solid and honest production with excellent production values, non-pandering, and a meaningful story.

7Th

jman2050 said:
Why you waste your time anticipating stuff when you can just do what I do and just wait for other people to watch see and catch up later!

Hyping stuff just to be disappointed is the most delicious part of being an anime fan!
Just ask Bones believers!

Rektash

So, desperate boredem led me to check out a few of this season's new shows.

Watched Hanasaku Iroha 1 & 2 first. Looks pretty good so far I like it alot. Good animation, nice little cast of characters, will definitly watch when it is finished.

After this came Nichijou. First reaction: Nice artstyle. Started to watch, skipped the intro after 10 seconds because it was boring. What followed was a mixture of moe and horrible random jokes which didn't even make me smirk. I stopped watching after half an episode and decided to never ever come back.

Well at least Hanasaku Iroha looks good. Let's see what else is on menu this season, I will give everything a fair try.

duckroll

7Th said:
Sorry, it was just too perfect. I'm unable to resist set-ups like that.

I'm going to sharpen my claws...

vfnF2.jpg

Then cut you up...

eNCRR.jpg

And then smash you!

fhiJ4.jpg

Kettch

Nonoriri said:
I don't really think Madoka is stylishly directed though, it has creative production design and stuff but it's fairly by-the-numbers otherwise.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I definitely disagree. Even ignoring the witch realms, the show is just so visually entertaining to watch. I got the same impact from Bakemonogatari, and is the main reason I love both shows. I haven't seen a similar style anywhere, so by-the-numbers is the last way I would describe it.

Some of my favorite visual scenes from episode 8 for instance:

http://i.imgur.com/qRUmv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1x5xX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O7zYL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hoZOe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom