• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

7Th said:
Also, is it me or have OPINIONS discussions in this thread gotten worse lately? I think people kind of used to somewhat justify their OPINIONS in the past; nowadays, we just post what we think and don't bother trying to argument why we think what we think. The Madoka discussion that was had last week and the P&S discussion of a few pages ago are the perfect examples of what I'm talking about. Maybe we just, like duckroll said, realized that nobody actually reads half of what we post in these threads.

I COULD do this, but I know that much of the "in-depth" analysis I have on some series is just stuff only I see and wasn't intended in the work in the first place so I think it's somewhat pointless. That's why when I'm arguing for or against a particular series I try to keep my criticisms and accolades simple. I think the only real exception was the whole Index thing and even then that was more born from stream-of-consciousness type thinking more than anything else.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
7Th said:
Also, is it me or have OPINIONS discussions in this thread gotten worse lately? I think people kind of used to somewhat justify their OPINIONS in the past; nowadays, we just post what we think and don't bother trying to argument why we think what we think. The Madoka discussion that was had last week and the P&S discussion of a few pages ago are the perfect examples of what I'm talking about. Maybe we just, like duckroll said, realized that nobody actually reads half of what we post in these threads.

Hey man I don't even like talking about anime.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
doomed1 said:
K-ON!! 13
IqplJ.jpg

CUZ tan lines are TOTTEMO KAWAII, and because ....moe, moe. That's why... also
It happens again, just for good measure
And also - all the best Azu-nyan doujin are Azu-tanned!

jman2050 said:
I COULD do this, but I know that much of the "in-depth" analysis I have on some series is just stuff only I see and wasn't intended in the work in the first place so I think it's somewhat pointless. That's why when I'm arguing for or against a particular series I try to keep my criticisms and accolades simple. I think the only real exception was the whole Index thing and even then that was more born from stream-of-consciousness type thinking more than anything else.

Whether something was intended in the original work or not has no real bearing on the validity of it, though. Sometimes a creator may have done something subconsciously, or maybe they didn't intend it at all, but once you start seeing it there, it becomes a valid way to look at the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Ok lets reel it in then.

Hen Zemi ep.1

Saw the abnormal psychology thing in the description and thought it might be interesting in some way; especially since I have been pleasently suprised by some shows recently. First of all the show has a strange no-nose/dojinshi style to it that I kinda liked at first but then lost interest in. The show tried to create some randomness to it but the jokes fell flat on me and even seemed gross at times.
The bathtub fart thing especially. I could see why it could be funny but it wasn't
. The shows characters seemed very one dimensional as well. Overall I did not like the show and do not recomend

You should watch the two OVAs then. I'm not even sure if it's a comedy insomuch as it is a meditation on sexual fetishes and the people who have them, wrapped in a comedy. And, of course, at the moment it looks like they've toned things down a bit based on the fact that late night TV has some standards.

Dresden said:
Too bad firehawk isn't here to post 'death of the author!'
I don't know why I'm doing it, but DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Whether something was intended in the original work or not has no real bearing on the validity of it, though. Sometimes a creator may have done something subconsciously, or maybe they didn't intend it at all, but once you start seeing it there, it becomes a valid way to look at the series.
Oh, that's why. :lol

Branduil

doomed1 said:
That's got nothing to do with pacing, but hey, no accounting for taste! :p

K-ON!! 7-8
Oh my God, OH MY GOD, did I accidentally stop watching this and then forget about it? Well, considering of when 7 came out and what was going on in life at that time, that doesn't really surprise me...

Anyway, why the fuck can't Yui be a professional musician? Bitch's got perfect pitch for Christ's sake!
Do you actually watch all of any of the anime you use to troll?

jman2050

KuwabaraTheMan said:

I may go into further depth about my thoughts regarding Death of the Author, but for now I'll just make the statement that I believe there is a clear line between the audience drawing conclusions from information given in a work that differs from the intent and the audience drawing conclusions from an omission of information. DotA is valid in most cases of the former, but never in the latter.

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:
I may go into further depth about my thoughts regarding Death of the Author, but for now I'll just make the statement that I believe there is a clear line between the audience drawing conclusions from information given in a work that differs from the intent and the audience drawing conclusions from an omission of information. DotA is valid in most cases of the former, but never in the latter.

dota.jpg

?

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
jman2050 said:

The difference between competent analysis and fanwanking is a fine line.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
It's why I still feel a bit uncomfortable talking about anime critically, insomuch as removing oneself from the Japanese context (and all the creepy fetishes that that entails) can be problematic.

Like Religion in Eva. Because Americans are so Jesus-obsessed, everything has to somehow invoke Jesus or Christianity.

Dresden

icarus-daedalus said:
That's a brofist. I think.
I think I can see it, kind of, I just need to squint a little.
InfiniteNine said:
We need more cross dressing manga in the world!
Well, you could try Coda. I liked it because it's not about a boy dressing like a girl just so that straight men can fap to it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
It's kind of hard not to invoke Christianity when you have crosses popping up all over the place for no raisin. :p

Night on the Galactic Railroad has kind of a respectful-but-mysticized presentation of Christianity which I find interesting, because you wouldn't find that kind of POV in the West where it's so integrated into the base culture. (Also, the author of the original story was a Buddhist who apparently didn't like cats. :eek:)
Yeah, that's the thing, Christianity is so detached there that it can be used as art without any real consequence. In the same way that the Last Airbender cartoon presumably invokes various aspects of Asian culture.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Branduil said:
Do you actually watch all of any of the anime you use to troll?
Yeah, of course. My computer was just in the shitter over the summer and my wee little netbook can't handle HD video, and I just never got around to picking it back up.

Uchip said:
in which country exactly?
Assuming that graphic literature follows similar media demographic curves (which it definitely does), every country where manga is sold. Japan is a heteronormative society, so the majority of it is written to a hertonormative audience, and that heteronormative audience consumes it. It's just basic statistics.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
doomed1 said:
Assuming that graphic literature follows similar media demographic curves (which it definitely does), every country where manga is sold. Japan is a heteronormative society, so the majority of it is written to a hertonormative audience, and that heteronormative audience consumes it. It's just basic statistics.
Statistics you never bothered to check. Anime demographics are much more limited than manga demographics in Japan.

ie. Women exist, and they read manga.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hitokage said:
Statistics you never bothered to check. Anime demographics are much more limited than manga demographics in Japan.

Oh please, that goes into the patriarchial society and feminism, which is only tangentially related to queer theory in its use of binaries. Women are an EQUAL part of the heteronormative culture, their existence is assumed.

Uchip

Banned
Hitokage said:

huge amounts of women read manga
my friends sister laughed when she found out that he was watching full moon wo sagashite
as it was one of her favourite manga
id say its closer to being socionormative, even though thats grasping since reading manga is so fucking common over there

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
"The big brain am winning again! I am the GREETEST! Now I am leaving Earth for NO RAISIN!"

futurama_fry_brainspawn.jpg

Futurama, Season 2 Episode 7: The Day The Earth Stood Stupid
I like that episode~! Fry being the smartest person on Earth is a hoot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
"The big brain am winning again! I am the GREETEST! Now I am leaving Earth for NO RAISIN!"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/futurama_fry_brainspawn.jpg[IMG]

Futurama, Season 2 Episode 7: The Day The Earth Stood Stupid[/QUOTE]
Your Freudian slip is showing!

/XX/

duckroll said:
Shinbo's directing is pretty gimmicky, but at least he's creative. I just don't like 90% of what he works on because the material doesn't interest me. But Ando on the other hand, is one fucking awesome traditional director. He doesn't rely on gimmicks and unusual camera styles to compose his scenes, but his direction has an excellent film-like quality to it in terms of understanding how to compose a setting and the layout.
Maybe that difference is accentuated (and explained) by Masahiro Ando exceptional work as a storyboard maker, no? I mean, what Masahiko Minami praises the most of Mr. Ando labor at BONES since RahXephon has been his storyboards. He has a base knowledge in that area, frames the pictures in a clever and subtle way to make the most of the action scenes, and that reflects in his efficient work as a director. Akiyuki Shinbo work, on the other hand, feels like an experimental approach to direction, acute but a bit amateur, and his extreme and non traditional focus in composition certainly takes advantage of digital editing (I suppose that is one of the reasons Mitsutoshi Kubota impulsed the DIGITAL@SHAFT department at the same time Mr. Shinbo is appointed as supervisor).

Also, duckroll, do you think Mr. Ando will return as a director of another important BONES production? Or is he so implicated with P.A. Works that he won't come back (to be in a major role, that is)?

7Th

When I said "discussion" and "analysis", I was talking about stuff similar to what Pelleas' Ben posts when he isn't feeling lazy rather than the "thematic analysis", also known as "fanwank" or "stating the obvious", that is so popular among Evangelion fans
and firehawk

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
When I said "discussion" and "analysis", I was talking about stuff similar to what Pelleas' Ben posts when he isn't feeling lazy rather than the "thematic analysis", also known as "fanwank" or "stating the obvious", that is so popular among Evangelion fans
and firehawk
Love you too!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
doomed1 said:
Oh please, that goes into the patriarchial society and feminism, which is only tangentially related to queer theory in its use of binaries. Women are an EQUAL part of the heteronormative culture, their existence is assumed.
The tag is entirely appropriate for your insistence on gender representation in the discussion that inspired it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I blame a certain poster that i will not name.:)

Aoi-Hana 2

I still find Wandering Son to be a far more interesting property, but this is a good show. I suppose you might prefer it if you're really into girls crying.
It is, but it's due to wandering son being a natural evolution of Aoi hana style, there is a lot more meat to it because of the larger cast, more interesting themes and such. The only characters that i personally found engaging in aoi hana - were the two main leads.

As far as adaptations go - aoi hana is still superior though!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
So when are you going to post a bulleted outline of your rules for what does and doesn't constitute proper animu discussion, eh?
  • Introduction/Thesis
  • Examples
  • Analysis
  • Conclusion

Also applies to undergrad English Lit. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom