• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Depends on whether you can substantiate the effect of hemlines on the transitive property of pantsu.
This is when Jexhius or someone posts that picture describing the evolution of pantsu in mango/animu over the years.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
Depends on whether you can substantiate the effect of hemlines on the transitive property of pantsu.
The effect of bows, frills, and ruffles greatly increases the moe factor when used in the proper manner. The placement and detail of such things greatly weighs in on the overall moe factor as well, so it's best to find a balance that doesn't overtake the moe factor with "sexy".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
That's an essay based subject though.
It's funny, because they used to teach the "GERC" paragraph here when I was in highschool.
  • Generalization
  • Examples
  • Reasoning
  • Conclusion
We were basically forced to write four sentence paragraphs that fit that rubric. Woof.

InfiniteNine said:
The effect of bows, frills, and ruffles greatly increases the moe factor when used in the proper manner. The placement and detail of such things greatly weighs in on the overall moe factor as well, so it's best to find a balance that doesn't overtake the moe factor with "sexy".
Go watch Chu Bra already!

Steroyd

InfiniteNine said:

Alternatively the simple design with a pattern of some sorts be it an animal face or a fruit which can also increase the moe factor, and lets not forget contrasting colours.

The fuck!?

Dresden

Hey, there's a Yuu Kobayashi character breathing heavily in Steins Gate. I thought you'd be all over this, firehawk.

bYUURl.jpg

That said I have no clue why all these women (or men) are throwing themselves at this quack.

Jex

doomed1 said:
AND I STILL STAND BY IT!
Well there are far, far worse tags.
jman2050 said:
I COULD do this, but I know that much of the "in-depth" analysis I have on some series is just stuff only I see and wasn't intended in the work in the first place so I think it's somewhat pointless. That's why when I'm arguing for or against a particular series I try to keep my criticisms and accolades simple. I think the only real exception was the whole Index thing and even then that was more born from stream-of-consciousness type thinking more than anything else.
That's what you think. All them writers are seeding their texts deliberately!
firehawk12 said:
Like Religion in Eva. Because Americans are so Jesus-obsessed, everything has to somehow invoke Jesus or Christianity.
Wait, what about the Japanese that are all obsessed with Christian symbolism?
7Th said:
When I said "discussion" and "analysis", I was talking about stuff similar to what Pelleas' Ben posts when he isn't feeling lazy rather than the "thematic analysis", also known as "fanwank" or "stating the obvious", that is so popular among Evangelion fans
and firehawk
Oh God there be rules now!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Hey, there's a Yuu Kobayashi character breathing heavily in Steins Gate. I thought you'd be all over this, firehawk.

http://i.imgur.com/bYUURl.jpg[IMG]

That said I have no clue why all these women (or men) are throwing themselves at this quack.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I can just skip the first episode and go straight for the scrumptious Kobayashi.

[QUOTE=Jexhius]
Wait, what about the Japanese that are all obsessed with Christian symbolism?[/QUOTE]
The serious but uninformed answer: they're probably in the minority. Much like Muslim or Buddhist writers in Hollywood.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
That said I have no clue why all these women (or men) are throwing themselves at this quack.
Rukako is so adorable~! Plus he looks up to Okabe since he is taking an interest in his purification abilities and such as well as his gift of the practice sword. Okabe is looking to make him more manly, haha.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
So when are you going to post a bulleted outline of your rules for what does and doesn't constitute proper animu discussion, eh?
Seems like we just saw it!
/XX/ said:
...Akiyuki Shinbo work, on the other hand, feels like an experimental approach to direction, acute but a bit amateur, and his extreme and non traditional focus in composition certainly takes advantage of digital editing...
It probably has something to do with having no budget, animators or time in many cases.
firehawk12 said:
The serious but uninformed answer: they're probably in the minority. Much like Muslim or Buddhist writers in Hollywood.
I mean, they loaded Evangelion with Christian symbolism deliberately.

Branduil

Jexhius said:

Yeah, but the deliberate reason was because it looked cool. It has no actual meaning related Christianity, which is what a lot of bad analysis misses.

Dresden

Halfway through Steins;Gate 2 and it should just be called infodumps;weird girls. Too bad I won't have the time to finish it until later tonight.
Jexhius said:
Anno was just fond of throwing shit at the wall. Considering how much of a minority Christians are in Japan, I'd imagine that their use in Eva was more about obfuscation than anything else.

BluWacky said:
It's a visual novel adaptation...
So?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Yeah, but the deliberate reason was because it looked cool. It has no actual meaning related Christianity, which is what a lot of bad analysis misses.
Yep. This is an example of when authorial intent should at least factor into any conversation about the text.

Besides, I'm still shocked that Eva fanwankers think that the TV show ended with Shinji accepting Instrumentality.

Jexhius said:
It probably has something to do with having no budget, animators or time in many cases.
The best work comes from having to make more with less!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
Halfway through Steins;Gate 2 and it should just be called infodumps;weird girls. Too bad I won't have the time to finish it until later tonight.
Well judging from the preview for this episode they are pretty much shoving an entire chapter for the game into one episode. Wonder if they are going to skip over the Titor stuff or infodump? Well I'll find out in a bit!

Jex

Branduil said:
Oh, certainly. If anyone thought there was any rhyme or reason to it, more fool them.

Dresden said:
Anno was just fond of throwing shit at the wall. Considering how much of a minority Christians are in Japan, I'd imagine that their use in Eva was more about obfuscation than anything else.
You'd be surprised. Getting married by a fake priest in a fake church is very popular and a lucrative business.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
You'd be surprised. Getting married by a fake priest in a fake church is very popular and a lucrative business.
So is renting a dog though. I figure it's more about the novelty than anything else.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hitokage said:
The tag is entirely appropriate for your insistence on gender representation in the discussion that inspired it.
Not quite. It was more an argument that even "non"-heteronormative narratives still fed heteronormative values, with the example of men reading yuri (and girls reading yaoi), but no need to get into that. My tag is still pretty accurate of my argument nonetheless.

Speaking of which...

K-ON 13
Mugi gets her masochistic yuri on. Many lols were had. Also, new OP and ED! Fun!

tiff

Banned
Jexhius said:
Pull up your bootstraps you lazy maggot! You can always start here and progress to here as a warming-up exercise. It's only a bit over a thousand A4 pages.

Then you can report back for a test before you're allowed to post in this thread.
eep!

InfiniteNine said:
They are just monthly series so chapters are up accordingly.
Reversible's only been going for four months?

Branduil said:
Literary analysis is worst analysis.
It's all about reading from the text instead of into the text. Schools of literary analysis which start from an agenda - be it feminism, Marxism, whatever - and read that into everything annoy me. But literary analysis which takes apart the text and carefully examines the meaning of each word and how they fit with each other can be very enjoyable.

hellclerk

Branduil said:
Literary analysis is BEST analysis.
FTFY

K-ON!! 15
I remember the walk-a-thon at my old high school. The football players were given leave to not walk. I walked anyway because I was that BOSS. Felt like filler, but the next episode looks promising!

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
That's part of why I find Angel's Egg so interesting and fun*, since it has the unique position of being written/directed by a Japanese man who was also an educated [ex?-]Christian. He mostly appropriates Biblical symbolism for his own devices, in order to talk about faith and doubt in general as opposed to offering any specific commentary on Christianity, although it's also kind of his experiences with religion in allegorical form. Anyway, it's an informed Eastern perspective on Xtianity/Western religion which is, as far as I can tell, somewhat rare in Japanese fiction.

Oshii wasn't just a Christian, he was a hardore Christian that wanted to be a preiest.

Geneijin

7Th said:
Also, is it me or have OPINIONS discussions in this thread gotten worse lately? I think people kind of used to somewhat justify their OPINIONS in the past; nowadays, we just post what we think and don't bother trying to argument why we think what we think. The Madoka discussion that was had last week and the P&S discussion of a few pages ago are the perfect examples of what I'm talking about. Maybe we just, like duckroll said, realized that nobody actually reads half of what we post in these threads.
Maybe. Or we've become familiar with each others' opinions to a degree where we know when to stop trending unless the argument escalates for one reason or another to continue it.

Jexhius said:
It's also tricky to have a disagreement about something that ends at a natural point e.g. where both parties realise they've arrived at the 'fundamental disagreement' which is the basis of their disagreement. There's a tendency for both parties to pursue the argument by reframing their original complaints in a slightly different way in an attempt to 'win' the argument until it goes around in circles forever. I guess at least you have a debate there!
Pretty much. Agree to disagree, stalemate, etc.

InfiniteNine said:
It's alright I can't really articulate my opinions too well either. <3 I try but I'm not very good at it since I don't do it too often.
I'm terrible at it too, but we just got to keep on fighting. Fight On! Fight On!

Halycon said:
3) The Second Coming of THAT Hair
71upS.gif

I don't know about that, but her hair is nice.

I'm going to miss animated avatars even more now.

Branduil

hosannainexcelsis said:
It's all about reading from the text instead of into the text. Schools of literary analysis which start from an agenda - be it feminism, Marxism, whatever - and read that into everything annoy me. But literary analysis which takes apart the text and carefully examines the meaning of each word and how they fit with each other can be very enjoyable.
Pretty much. I have nothing against it, in theory, but the former type seems to dominate in an irritating way. In addition, it seems to be the type of criticism most prone to being misapplied, though I suppose that ties into the marxist/feminist/whatever schools.

7Th said:
Oshii wasn't just a Christian, he was a hardore Christian that wanted to be a preiest.

That makes sense, given Catholicism's millennia of refining of dramatic symbolism and imagery. He'd have a deep well to draw from there.

hellclerk

K-ON 16
I wasn't disappoint. Really called back the old days of Somnia for me...

Also, Azu is SUCH Goddamned pander-bait. It's awful.
Thankfully, that pander-bait only applies to me when she's got a tan. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Salazar said:
I will get back to you when I have mustered an appropriate deprecation. I have been drinking, but the right words will come to me in time.
As someone who reads this crap for a living, I'm not sure I'd disagree. :lol
I wonder why people write books sometime, other than just to have "wrote a book" on their CV when they're looking for jobs.

icarus-daedelus said:
That's part of why I find Angel's Egg so interesting and fun*, since it has the unique position of being written/directed by a Japanese man who was also an educated [ex?-]Christian. He mostly appropriates Biblical symbolism for his own devices, in order to talk about faith and doubt in general as opposed to offering any specific commentary on Christianity, although it's also kind of his experiences with religion in allegorical form. Anyway, it's an informed Eastern perspective on Xtianity/Western religion which is, as far as I can tell, somewhat rare in Japanese fiction. Or at least Japanimu.
Well, it's what "we" do with Greek stuff, where because none of that stuff is sacrosanct, it doesn't matter if we have Xena having sex with Ares while throwing that spinning disc around.

It's just that Jesus stuff is so reified that any mention of it is controversial. I still remember when Russell T Davies, before Doctor Who, made a movie that was about what would happen if Jesus Christ came back. It ended with
Jesus having sex with a woman and getting her pregnant. She couldn't handle being the mother to Jesus' child and decided to have an abortion and Jesus then committed suicide

You can imagine how well that went over. :lol

hosannainexcelsis said:
Authors have an agenda as well. It's about trying to find good fits between the authorial intent and the analytical framework.

Salazar

icarus-daedelus said:
You're a pretty coherent drunk, Salazar.

Practice.

I don't like Marxists or feminists much either, Branduil.

I need more Durarara, dammit.

firehawk12 said:
As someone who reads this crap for a living, I'm not sure I'd disagree. :lol
I wonder why people write books sometime, other than just to have "wrote a book" on their CV when they're looking for jobs.

I made a bold leap into a departmental/disciplinary void, somewhere between literature, rhetoric, and history. As a result of which, and in my new status as ronin, I get to read altogether more pleasurable kinds of scholarship than I used to.

Geneijin

doomed1 said:
Also, Azu is SUCH Goddamned pander-bait. It's awful.
Thankfully, that pander-bait only applies to me when she's got a tan. :p
Ld5FA.jpg

A deceitful lie which only exposes your true attentions of enjoying it for ever more.

7Th

I'm not asking for "academic discussion"; I'm asking for at least this:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scene in Nichijou 2 was fucking boring because it dragged a very simple and elementary joke for too long yet provided no extra character insight or interesting visuals to actually justify its extension. They wasted too much time making the loli-scientist give absolutely unfunny, non-sensical answers to the complaints of the robot girl and then they wasted even more time showing the characters SLOWLY eating pastry and drinking milk in the most straightforwardly shot scene possible as if showing them eating pastry and eating milk was, by itself, something genuinely fun or interesting."

...instead of this:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scenes in Nichijou are fucking boring."

Branduil

Salazar said:
I don't like Marxists or feminists much either, Branduil.

I don't like anybody who writes irritating analysis about how the author is a horrible bigot for writing their book the way they did. Now, if you can write analysis about how the writing works, or doesn't work, how the characterization was effective, what techniques and devices were used, and why, then I don't really care if you're a commienazi or a purple dinosaur.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hitokage said:
Can we stop typing out lots of words without saying much?
That would be detrimental to our true feelings of this "tanned Azu-nyan" and her purpose as a pander-bait character with no real defining features aside from physical attractiveness to the viewers at large. Throw away characters getting some spotlight by appealing to the fanbase with some service needs to be broken down into the why, when, and how of the narrative for maximum effect.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Authors have an agenda as well. It's about trying to find good fits between the authorial intent and the analytical framework.
Well no duh they have an agenda. I'd much rather read about how the agenda of the work is presented than read some literary hack's counter-novel-masquerading-as-criticism.

7th/Hitokage catfights are best catfights.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scene in Nichijou 2 was fucking boring because it dragged a very simple and elementary joke for too long yet provided no extra character insight or interesting visuals to actually justify its extension. They wasted too much time making the loli-scientist give absolutely unfunny, non-sensical answers to the complaints of the robot girl and then they wasted even more time showing the characters SLOWLY eating pastry and drinking milk in the most straightforwardly shot scene possible as if showing them eating pastry and eating milk was, by itself, something genuinely fun or interesting."

...instead of this:

Hitokage said:
Can we stop typing out lots of words without saying much?
It's like the two forces of the internet are converging on each other.

Branduil said:
Well no duh they have an agenda. I'd much rather read about how the agenda of the work is presented than read some literary hack's counter-novel-masquerading-as-criticism.
I think it's fair game to call an author out on their bullshit though.

7Th said:

...instead of this:

I found the scene to be shallow and pedantic.

7Th

firehawk12 said:
It's like the two forces of the internet are converging on each other.

I used extremely common language to explain why I thought the scene was boring! Maybe a point-by-point explanation would be easier, however.

Example said:
In my opinion, scene with the loli-scientist and the clumsy robot was boring because:

-It was a very simple joke that went on for nearly 5 minutes
-They actually bothered to show the characters eating pastry as slowly as possible while doing absolutely nothing but eating pastry; it was as if they thought that the character eating pastry was something interesting by itself.
-The loli-scientist and the clumsy robot lack the character definition to make their non-sensical conversation interesting.
-The visuals were as straightforward as possible; it didn't have the visual jokes necessary to make up for the lack of written gags.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
And here you go.
http://i.imgur.com/K3YiV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
There ya go!

[QUOTE=7Th]I used extremely common language to explain why I thought the scene was boring! Maybe a point-by-point explanation would be easier, however.[/QUOTE]
I generally agree with you on your windmill tilting quest, but the internet doesn't work that way. We're living in a 140 character/image macro world now.

And this is when a pair of sunglasses drops down onto the thread and someone says "deal with it".

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:

...instead of this:

While it's probably to much for most people to write out something like that when writing criticism. (and even then you could easily shorten that kind of point) we definitely need to see less of the latter.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom