• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
I like how Evangelion tried to criticize female anime archetypes by taking them to their extremes, only for it to backfire and increase their popularity and cookie-cutter nature.
Yeah, that has happened quite a lot in anime over the years.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
InfiniteNine said:
You have low standards.
Well it's not like there are really any OTHER Yanderes this season. :p

Really though, she's a fun Yandere because you can SEE her going all yangire since she's so blatantly clingy, but she hasn't ACTUALLY done so. It's great comedic tension.

InfiniteNine said:
Sawako needs her own show. ;___; She doesn't need to be around all those other retards.
http://i.imgur.com/jCH7o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh please, Sawako was as much of a retard as the rest of them.

[spoiler]And that's why we love her[/spoiler]

Geneijin

AnoHana speculation
Joule said:
On the AnoHana talk, I'm interested in seeing how Poppo has changed. Is that all that traveling just a means to escape? Or is he just totally chill with everything.
I think he's chill with everything. That's what his role feels like in this story right now.

JKTrix said:
When I said 'liked', I meant in the past in the context of the show. When they were kids, it was pretty obvious they all liked him. Since we were talking about 'speculation', there are ways to read into the subtleties of characters as well.

Jinta was the leader of their group, and they all admired him to some extent. Tsuruko was always guarded, but you could assume that when Naruko (because I refuse to call her Anal) asked if he liked Menma, she wanted to know too.

The way she acted in response to Naruko's friends in the 2nd episode just built on the subtlety. Maybe she isn't crazy for him now, but there is still that lingering fondness. And as an older person, she's better with how she guards her feelings.
Ah, gotcha.

But now that you've suggested the harem possibility, I think I agree with you that it'll become one. It's a better explanation than mine of Tsuruko's character because I felt Poppo being who he is and his role within the story currently weakens my speculation of Tsuruko's mentality. I was inclined to pair Tsuruko and Yukiatsu together because they go to the same school, both are probably the most emotionally distant of the group, and how she addresses Yukiatsu. While it's open to interpretation about Tsuruko's attitude towards Yukiatsu exactly, assuming this will somehow become a harem, the harem setting would better explain why her reaction to the ridicule against Jintan as well as her disappointment with Yukiatsu's feelings toward Menma. Of course, it could all change based on future developments, but it certainly sounds like the better theory/explanation for Tsuruko's behavior at the moment.

Dare I say it if
Naruko has a love and hate relationship with Menma, does that mean Tsuruko was jealous and hates Menma? She hasn't exactly spoken anything well about Menma as of now. It seems apparent now.
So much speculation.

Also I haven't been using spoilers since I feel that anything that happens in the first episode is fair game (with a few exceptions), and nothing has *really* happened yet.
It's a personal choice of mine. It's fine by me if you do or don't. I just felt
spoiling Menma's death is one of them because of the setup to Menma's reunion with her family in Episode 1, how often it's implied and stated before that scene, and how descriptions of the show with the exception of the PVs don't explicitly state her death that it was spoiler-worthy.

A Black Falcon said:
Tsuruko even more than Yukiatsu? I don't know, basedo n just the first two episodes I thought it was hard to tell which of those two was more separated from the others. Maybe Yukiatsu hides it a little more, but still, both clearly are apart from the other three.
Yep. I'm more convinced she is now after the above discussion. But really, at this point, I think it depends on what you think is the worse psychological state: Yukiatsu's suppressed, creepy obsession with Menma or Tsuruko's cold behavior who has not even whimpered about Menma's death as much as Poppo.

I agree on the first paragraph, I said so too. I was just wondering if in future episodes we'd see ways that the others blame themselves as well; I wouldn't be surprised if we do. Maybe not though, we'll see.
Ah, my mistake. Quite frankly, besides Poppo, I believe we'll see to what extent how everyone else is blaming themselves.

Anaru is borderline depressed (I agree that she does act that way sometimes). Blames herself for Menma's death.
I don't think she's borderline depressed. I think she is. In Episode 2 when she talks with her friends about not wanting to do anything or not get out of bed in the morning, I say she's depressed. Her coping skills hasn't really relieved or reduce her stress. It's more like a distraction or momentary relief than anything else at the moment.

Yukiatsu obsesses over some garment (her dress?) that may have been Menma's (is he the most broken of the five?).
Most likely than not it's her dress. But how he got it, we'll find out about it eventually.

I just mean, it's not like Anaru is anything special in having problems, all of them in this series do, it's the whole point of the series I think. It's also a core part of why it's good, watching these troubled people and seeing what they can do to try to get past it, finally... (I mean, I like Anaru's character, sure, but I don't see it as being anything that different from the others.)
Of course. Still, like any show, it's amusing to see how a character develops, which is why we may or may not have favorite characters when we're done watching one. Anaru happens to be my current favorite, but I see my opinion changing with how AnoHana has depicted Tsuruko.

But of course, we haven't seen as much of Tsuruko or Yukiatsu yet, so it's not exactly balanced in its focus.
Amen.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
How did an apostrophe turn into a 7?

n109_1.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh hey a really long post. I guess ABF is talking to mac again.

::scrolls up::

Wtf Geneijin?

mAcOdIn

zeroshiki said:
There's no way Mariya is even a tsundere much less yandere. For one thing, who's her partner?
Partner? Psh. Everyone, 'cept the male priest dude and Matsurika whom s/he trolls, everyone else she loves. Truthfully, I have no idea what any word outside tsundere means and I like it this way.

zeroshiki

Instro said:
Whats with the 2 keys to the left of the space bar?

I use a slightly different keyboard but the button to the immediate left of the spacebar is the convert button... you push it to move through the IME's suggestions. The next one converts between kana types.

JKTrix

I remember when I was out somewhere in Japan and I needed to send an e-mail to my parents to send me some money (because getting cash in Japan was a little complicated), I found an internet cafe and saw one of those keyboards and was so confused.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
That's the problem with written languages that aren't primarily alphabetical-they turn keyboards into a mess.
You hit a key to put it in ASCII mode, and another to put it in Kana mode. Any differences in ASCII you get used to pretty quickly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They use pinyin.

Type in the "sound" and then select from a list of characters.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
That's the problem with written languages that aren't primarily alphabetical-they turn keyboards into a mess.

How does China deal with them? They don't even have something like kana.

It depends. You can do it via stroke order (some keys have the stroke order on them), by their phoenetical system (again, the keys have them) or by romaji basically.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
It depends. You can do it via stroke order (some keys have the stroke order on them), by their phoenetical system (again, the keys have them) or by romaji basically.
Yeah. Taiwan has its on version of kana though, so their phones will use it.

I have no idea how to get the handwriting pad thing to work in Windows 7, so I end up using pinyin instead. Which is stupid because I think in Cantonese, but oh well.

Geneijin

Salazar said:
The sounds of snapping bones and tearing cartilage in this Twister game in Honey and Clover are so good.
Just a brilliant episode all around. Such a lovely friendship they have, isn't it? You should check out the specials after you finish with Season 1 if you can.

Halycon said:
Oh hey a really long post. I guess ABF is talking to mac again.

::scrolls up::

Wtf Geneijin?
Nothing wrong with talking about AnoHana. Tomorrow is the day!

Branduil

Sounds like a mess.

If only they'd had the foresight of western languages, to reduce the necessary characters to 26 in anticipation of typewriters!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Sounds like a mess.

If only they'd had the foresight of western languages, to reduce the necessary characters to 26 in anticipation of typewriters!
Why didn't the west have the foresight to colonize Asia and impose their languages on them! South America and Africa got it easy, I tells ya.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Why didn't the west have the foresight to colonize Asia and impose their languages on them! South America and Africa got it easy, I tells ya.
If we did that the market for English teachers in Asia would have dried up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
If we did that the market for English teachers in Asia would have dried up.
Given how many unqualified undergrads go to Korea to teach party for a couple of years, that might be a good thing!

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Given how many unqualified undergrads go to Korea to teach party for a couple of years, that might be a good thing!
Turning awkward white virgins into hardened sex machines... America should thank Least Korea.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Turning awkward white virgins into hardened sex machines... America should thank Least Korea.
If only the great Nippon had a completely broken English tutoring system as well; anime nerds would be in heaven.

Instro

zeroshiki said:
I use a slightly different keyboard but the button to the immediate left of the spacebar is the convert button... you push it to move through the IME's suggestions. The next one converts between kana types.

Ah ok that makes sense.

JKTrix

Tizoc said:
Did anyone watch the Highschool of the Dead OVA? I know there's only an LQ ver. ATM, but how is it overall?
More tits, less zombies, 15 minutes. Not much else you need to know if you're familiar with the franchise.

Uchip

Banned
JKTrix said:
More tits, less zombies, 15 minutes. Not much else you need to know if you're familiar with the franchise.

bah
I stopped watching when psycho bitch gets turned on by killing things
such a disappointing series after the first episode was pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom