• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Uchip said:
bah
I stopped watching when psycho bitch gets turned on by killing things
such a disappointing series after the first episode was pretty good

I don't understand this, the 1st episode was pretty much in line with the rest of the series. o_O

Uchip

Banned
Steroyd said:
I don't understand this, the 1st episode was pretty much in line with the rest of the series. o_O

hardly
I was hoping for some kind of anime version of 28 days later
instead they cranked up the perversion and the plot never really went anywhere

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uchip said:
hardly
I was hoping for some kind of anime version of 28 days later
instead they cranked up the perversion and the plot never really went anywhere
How could you possibly think that based on the first episode?

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
How could you possibly think that based on the first episode?

just a guess
and they used what sounded like the 28 days later theme song
was where the friend he kills in the first ep the only time a main character has to do that?
it seemed nobody dies

psycho17

Uchip said:
just a guess
was where the friend he kills in the first ep the only time a main character has to do that?
it seemed nobody dies
Read the manga. that is all.

Dresden

You're missing out.

8tcwzl.jpg

Tizoc

Uchip said:
just a guess
it seemed nobody dies
Then you guessed wrong. The show is about tits and killing zombies, especially by a gun nut otaku.
A GUN NUT OTAKU.

Uchip said:
lmao
yea... I think ikkitousen was the last pointlessly ecchi anime I saw all the way through

The manga is VERY mild compared to the anime in the ecchi department. It's also not as over the top. It's definitely closer to 28 Days Later than you probably think based on the anime.

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
The manga is VERY mild compared to the anime in the ecchi department. It's also not as over the top. It's definitely closer to 28 Days Later than you probably think based on the anime.

It is? I've never bother with the anime, but the manga has a ridiculous amount of fan service. I shudder to how the anime could make that seem mild.

Uchip

Banned
flawfuls said:
It is? I've never bother with the anime, but the manga has a ridiculous amount of fan service. I shudder to how the anime could make that seem mild.

you mean there was no boobmatrix in the manga?

firehawk12 said:
Why didn't the west have the foresight to colonize Asia and impose their languages on them! South America and Africa got it easy, I tells ya.
Some people thought about it during the occupation of Japan after WWII, but the Japanese weren't interested... they preferred their needlessly complex characters because they look prettier and are traditional (and for the multiple meanings, etc.).

One nation did change to Western script, though... Vietnam. They dropped Chinese characters for a Roman-based script while they were a French colony, apparently in part accepting it because they'd never really liked characters that much anyway (China being their longtime overlord and enemy, and the script having come from there). Korea invented its own alphabet too, of course (and Thailand, etc.), it's really only China and Japan that still hold out for the ridiculousness of characters...

I mean, I understand those minor advantages, but compared to the insane, very memorization-heavy task that actually learning how to read is in those countries, they seem minor...

firehawk12 said:
Yeah. Taiwan has its on version of kana though, so their phones will use it.

I have no idea how to get the handwriting pad thing to work in Windows 7, so I end up using pinyin instead. Which is stupid because I think in Cantonese, but oh well.
I've wondered how people write (on a keyboard) in Chinese, given that it doesn't have a syllabic script like Japanese does... sounds complex.

zeroshiki said:
http://www3.airnet.ne.jp/saka/keyboard/image/n109_1.jpg
That isn't all of the kana though, right? I mean, there are more syllables in Japanese than that, right... how did they decide which ones go on the keys, how do you access the others if they aren't on keys... does each key actually have several on it you access with the modifier keys or something?

mAcOdIn said:
I'm just as confused.
He posted some about IS too you know. But are you not interested in theorizing about AnoHana or something?

I live alone, if someone walks in on me watching anything I have a bigger problem with why the fuck they're even here than what they happen to catch me watching.
Indeed, same. :) When I did live at home though, as far as anime goes (summer vacations and such, given that I didn't really start watching anime until college), I think I mostly watched after people went to bed, etc... I mean they did know I watched anime, but I didn't watch with others. Either on the TV, or on the computer often with headphones (I still usually use headphones on the computer actually).

The age part was just a joke, I actually like to play sports I just don't like to watch other people play sports.
Ah. I haven't really played sports since I was younger.

You're that one guy watching. Personally, I'd generally use Japan as a guide on what not to watch, look how good Infinite Stratos is doing for example.
Sometimes they have good tastes, other times bad tastes. It definitely varies, I agree.

I really don't.
Then watch A-Ko again and be reminded of it.

Now, I'm pretty sure there were several people here who don't like her for some unfathomable reason, Tanabe's the best thing about Planetes.
I guess some people dislike optimistic characters. I don't get it either, going too far with it could be annoying but she wasn't.

Hence why I'm not listing them! There's two goods, meta-good and good-good, most shows aren't good-good.
And hence why people say that you hate everything -- your standards for the latter category are quite high. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
Some people thought about it during the occupation of Japan after WWII, but the Japanese weren't interested... they preferred their needlessly complex characters because they look prettier and are traditional (and for the multiple meanings, etc.).

One nation did change to Western script, though... Vietnam. They dropped Chinese characters for a Roman-based script while they were a French colony, apparently in part accepting it because they'd never really liked characters that much anyway (China being their longtime overlord and enemy, and the script having come from there). Korean invented its own alphabet too, of course (and Thailand, etc.), it's really only China and Japan that still hold out for the ridiculousness of characters...

I mean, I understand those minor advantages, but compared to the insane, very memorization-heavy task that actually learning how to read is in those countries, they seem minor...

I've wondered how people write in Chinese, given that it doesn't have a syllabic script like Japanese does... sounds complex.

Doh, of course, totally forgot about Vietnamnese. Mostly because every Vietnamnese person I know is bilingual. :lol

Honestly though, hanzi/kanji/and presumably hangul are fairly easy to learn and actually make some modicum of sense once you sort of figure out the tricks and memorize a few basic words.

But yeah, Asians probably wouldn't have invented the typewriter. :lol

There are specific Chinese keyboards like the Japanese one, but I have no idea how they are used though. I might actually have a better time of it if I picked one up and learned how to use it, but eh, too much work just to write notes home.

trejo

cosmicblizzard said:
Idk, not a huge fan of things getting condensed. I don't really feel like I wasted my time or anything anyway.
I thought the movie did a good job of cutting out all the useless fluff and focusing on what was really important. Namely, little girls beating the shit out of each other with sticks.

Second season is the only really good one, anyway.

zeroshiki

A Black Falcon said:
That isn't all of the kana though, right? I mean, there are more syllables in Japanese than that, right... how did they decide which ones go on the keys, how do you access the others if they aren't on keys... does each key actually have several on it you access with the modifier keys or something?

Nopes, that's pretty much it. You can add the umm dakuten (voiced consonant mark?) that turns H to B, P or S to J but other than that, you've got the whole alphabet there. There's no katakana because anyone who'd type katakana probably know the hiragana to convert from anyways.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
He posted some about IS too you know. But are you not interested in theorizing about AnoHana or something?
Nah, I offered my only speculation, that the gang will get back together soon and solve mysteries with their ghost pal, which I expect to totally not happen in all actually.
A Black Falcon said:
Indeed, same. :)
Lol, the smile's to hide the pain, I know the feeling!
A Black Falcon said:
Ah. I haven't really played sports since I was younger.
Well then don't tell me age is no excuse when you also don't play! If you were some 50 year old bad ass pitcher you could say it but as a fellow couch junkie? Tchk. But seriously, I hate watching sports, hate it, it's super boring. I don't mind playing them but I only have like 2 real honest to God friends, we all work different schedules and that's pretty much that.
A Black Falcon said:
Sometimes they have good tastes, other times bad tastes. It definitely varies, I agree.
Ehh? I never said their taste varies, I said it sucks, therefore we can not be in agreement.
A Black Falcon said:
Then watch A-Ko again and be reminded of it.
I will, May 17th!
A Black Falcon said:
I guess some people dislike optimistic characters. I don't get it either, going too far with it could be annoying but she wasn't.
Right, she's awesome.
A Black Falcon said:
And hence why people say that you hate everything -- your standards for the latter category are quite high. :)
Who are these people? Yourself? Anyways, high standards are the right standards right? That's how I see it, it's not good to have low standards, it's not a compliment to say someone has low hygiene standards or low ethical standards so why should one have low entertainment standards? Obviously, the higher the better!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HSotD is probably the most offensively bad anime I have seen in recent memory, it went beyond what even my lizard brain could enjoy, just so fucking absurd that it actually pissed me off while watching it. That bitterness still hasn't gone away either, slowly consuming my soul, each passing day the urge to just buy a ticket to Japan and bunch the director in the face grows, I actually fear the repercussions of watching another show as terrible for what it might do to me. And it's not like I gave two shits about the manga or even cared about the panty shots, no, it was all the absurd fan-service beyond that mixed with real life weaponry in a manner that made no damn sense. It was so broken it physically pained me to watch it. It was like that fucking episode of Bones with the Chupacabra, at the end they ask someone where the bullet's hidden and then later he shows up with a casing in his evidence bag and the culprit knows he's toast, except the casing's not the bullet, no way did the casing fly into the victim to be later buried, who the fuck rights this shit? Who? Argh.

So I'm still a little pissed that people can get paid to make that stuff.

cosmicblizzard said:
Idk, not a huge fan of things getting condensed. I don't really feel like I wasted my time or anything anyway.

Don't worry, while the movie version is great (definitely watch it!), the TV series is good too, I think... I think the movie will make more sense if you've watched the TV series first, to see what it skips over and what it changes.

Also, why watch the series? In part because it's pretty good on its own, and in part to prepare you for A's, by far the high point of the franchise...

trejo said:
Who the hell gives a hospitalized, bed-ridden girl a bunch of condoms?
Hah, but I don't think you can say for sure what those are, there are several things they could be...

Doh, of course, totally forgot about Vietnamnese. Mostly because every Vietnamnese person I know is bilingual. :lol

Honestly though, hanzi/kanji/and presumably hangul are fairly easy to learn and actually make some modicum of sense once you sort of figure out the tricks and memorize a few basic words.
Kana, you mean? But yeah, sure, while certainly not as easy as the Roman alphabet, syllabic scripts aren't too bad. Once you learn the letters you can read it. The problem is the character-based ones China and Japan use... and on that note that's why kana only gets you so far, they use lots of characters. I know, if you're dedicated you can memorize them, etc, etc, but it's a gigantic hassle. Literacy in those countries would be so much easier with more modern scripts.

Sure, back when the only people who needed to know how to read were scribes it didn't matter how complex the language was (indeed, making it hard might have been good, keep those ignorant peasants down in their place, they'll never have the time to learn it), but in modern times when everyone needs to be literate, it's a problem that only huge amounts of character memorization in school can fix.

But yeah, Asians probably wouldn't have invented the typewriter. :lol
Probably so. :)

There are specific Chinese keyboards like the Japanese one, but I have no idea how they are used though. I might actually have a better time of it if I picked one up and learned how to use it, but eh, too much work just to write notes home.
Without even the syllabic characters to put on the keys it just seems like it'd be really complex. Obviously they manage, but it's clearly not ideal...

zeroshiki said:
Nopes, that's pretty much it. You can add the umm dakuten (voiced consonant mark?) that turns H to B, P or S to J but other than that, you've got the whole alphabet there. There's no katakana because anyone who'd type katakana probably know the hiragana to convert from anyways.
Oh, right, that's what I was thinking of, the notes to change the consonant sets. So is that done with a modifier key, or a popup menu or something?

Geneijin said:
AnoHana speculation

I think he's chill with everything. That's what his role feels like in this story right now.
But remember, he isn't going to school, while he is (if he's the same age as the others) still school age; he's just doing odd jobs and travelling... you think that that's really fine? You don't think he is, in some way, running away? Maybe it has elements of both, or maybe you're right, but I think it's a plausible explanation anyway.

Ah, gotcha.

But now that you've suggested the harem possibility, I think I agree with you that it'll become one. It's a better explanation than mine of Tsuruko's character because I felt Poppo being who he is and his role within the story currently weakens my speculation of Tsuruko's mentality. I was inclined to pair Tsuruko and Yukiatsu together because they go to the same school, both are probably the most emotionally distant of the group, and how she addresses Yukiatsu. While it's open to interpretation about Tsuruko's attitude towards Yukiatsu exactly, assuming this will somehow become a harem, the harem setting would better explain why her reaction to the ridicule against Jintan as well as her disappointment with Yukiatsu's feelings toward Menma. Of course, it could all change based on future developments, but it certainly sounds like the better theory/explanation for Tsuruko's behavior at the moment.
I'm not so sure it's going to become a harem...
remember, for one thing, even if she likes him Menma can't actually do much about it -- she's dead. Unless she magically comes back to life in the end (I do not expect that to happen), any "harem" would be more as much about acceptance and healing as it would be about harem antics, though being anime I imagine they'd put some in anyway if they did go in that direction.

But "the girls like the main character", if it is true that Tsuruko likes him too, maybe could be seen as a harem element... with the twist that they key girl died and the series is now mostly in a completely different genre.

Dare I say it if
Naruko has a love and hate relationship with Menma, does that mean Tsuruko was jealous and hates Menma? She hasn't exactly spoken anything well about Menma as of now. It seems apparent now.
So much speculation.
That's going too far into speculation that we don't know much about, I think, I'll just wait to see more of Tsuruko before I decide anything about that. Maybe, but who knows?

It's a personal choice of mine. It's fine by me if you do or don't. I just felt
spoiling Menma's death is one of them because of the setup to Menma's reunion with her family in Episode 1, how often it's implied and stated before that scene, and how descriptions of the show with the exception of the PVs don't explicitly state her death that it was spoiler-worthy.
I don't know, spoilering that she died is kind of pointless, it's the entire point of the whole series and it's what it centers around. Spoilering details beyond that, sure, but that? Kind of pointless. But of course, I thought that that very deceptive Madoka OP wasn't such a great idea there either, but at least there it's not until three episodes in that that fact becomes clear, instead of just minutes as in AnoHana.

Yep. I'm more convinced she is now after the above discussion. But really, at this point, I think it depends on what you think is the worse psychological state: Yukiatsu's suppressed, creepy obsession with Menma or Tsuruko's cold behavior who has not even whimpered about Menma's death as much as Poppo.
Hopefully the next episode will help answer these questions.

Ah, my mistake. Quite frankly, besides Poppo, I believe we'll see to what extent how everyone else is blaming themselves.
Well of course, for all of them... the characters dealing with the legacy of that traumatic event is what the series is about.

I don't think she's borderline depressed. I think she is. In Episode 2 when she talks with her friends about not wanting to do anything or not get out of bed in the morning, I say she's depressed. Her coping skills hasn't really relieved or reduce her stress. It's more like a distraction or momentary relief than anything else at the moment.
Yeah, that makes sense, I guess...
She probably is depressed, yes. She tries to cover it with things, but can't completely keep it hidden. But now that the characters are starting to get along again, the hope obviously is that maybe their traumas will gradually be lessened. I don't know though, it needs to keep drama up through the series at least, so it can't let it all just get over quickly, so it'll be in fits and starts I'm sure, and with other twists to complicate things.

Most likely than not it's her dress. But how he got it, we'll find out about it eventually.
Yeah. However he did it's creepy, but that's obviously the point.

Of course. Still, like any show, it's amusing to see how a character develops, which is why we may or may not have favorite characters when we're done watching one. Anaru happens to be my current favorite, but I see my opinion changing with how AnoHana has depicted Tsuruko.
Of course you're right, people are going to have favorite characters. I was just saying that they're all broken, not just her. But yeah, it's still early yet, and it's hard to say what you think of all the characters when several haven't gotten much focus yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
Kana, you mean? But yeah, sure, while certainly not as easy as the Roman alphabet, syllabic scripts aren't too bad. Once you learn the letters you can read it. The problem is the character-based ones China and Japan use... and on that note that's why kana only gets you so far, they use lots of characters. I know, if you're dedicated you can memorize them, etc, etc, but it's a gigantic hassle. Literacy in those countries would be so much easier with more modern scripts.

Sure, back when the only people who needed to know how to read were scribes it didn't matter how complex the language was (indeed, making it hard might have been good, keep those ignorant peasants down in their place, they'll never have the time to learn it), but in modern times when everyone needs to be literate, it's a problem that only huge amounts of character memorization in school can fix.
No, Kanji. It's what the Japanese call the Chinese characters they use in their written language. And it's very systematic. Once you learn base characters, you basically have the ability to recognize whole categories of words. Some are phonetically based, of course, which is why in Chinese, "ma" is horse, mother and the interrogative particle (used to ask a question) and each of those characters is based on the character for horse, but for the most part words that involve water of some sort will use the same water character as its base, and so on.

As for literacy, the Japanese went with kana and the (Commie) Chinese went with "simplified" characters (which is what I'm use, because I'm a coward), so there are clearly accommodations anyway. Whether all billion+ people in China are literate though? Heck, there is illiteracy in the West, so the problem is bigger than just characters being hard to learn.

Lain

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm not really sure how you can say that.
The anime cranked it up, and thanks to animation when tits go up and down, you can take full pleasure in the suave movements, but the manga is just as full of delicious fanservice as the anime.

zeroshiki

A Black Falcon said:
Oh, right, that's what I was thinking of, the notes to change the consonant sets. So is that done with a modifier key, or a popup menu or something?

They're also keys. Its the 2 keys beside P on the keyboard.

Articalys

Serial Experiments Lain 8-10

Okay, now I feel like I have a bunch of answers but no idea what the questions actually were. I think I just sat through about an hour's worth of discussion about metaphysics and the collective human unconscious.

Someone please tell me that there's a definite explanation for what's going on and it isn't one of those things that's just left "up to speculation."

mAcOdIn

Uchip said:
http://img2.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/spice-and-wolf-horo-nude-figure-by-cms-001.jpeg

this looks great
but it would stop my collection from being safe for work D:
Ugh, kinda tasteless.

And why would you need your collection to be safe for work, you work from home surrounded by anime figures?

Uchip

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Ugh, kinda tasteless.

And why would you need your collection to be safe for work, you work from home surrounded by anime figures?

figure of speech, smartass :p
and I do have people visit

mAcOdIn

Uchip said:
but... the naughty bits are covered!
She's still naked, lol, you can't say there's no nudity when she's standing there nude, lol, hence my silly joke that I edited as it still sounded off about what exactly would one need to see for it to be considered nudity.

But I'll admit, it's covered the "naughty" parts with some creative hair censoring.

Edit: there's even a naked apple on the base!

Uchip

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
She's still naked, lol, you can't say there's no nudity when she's standing there nude, lol, hence my silly joke that I edited as it still sounded off about what exactly would one need to see for it to be considered nudity.

But I'll admit, it's covered the "naughty" parts with some creative hair censoring.

Not quite as creative as Austin Powers
but that's probably a good thing

mAcOdIn

Uchip said:
Not quite as creative as Austin Powers
but that's probably a good thing
Christ, everything's naked, it's not just Holo and the apple at the base but the crate of apples is open and the bag of wheat is open, it's so suggestive! Everyone who worked on it should be ashamed!

How much is it?

Uchip

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Christ, everything's naked, it's not just Holo and the Apple at the base but the crate of Apples is open and the bag of wheat is open, it's so suggestive! Everyone who worked on it should be ashamed!

How much is it?

no idea
saw it on sankaku
hopefully it has a new season to go along with it

Go_Ly_Dow

TWOGK II 3

Will watch the Haqua arc, skip generic looking girl in the OP arc and go straight on to teacher arc.

Ore no Imouto special 3

Poor Kuroneko =( all she wants is an Onii-chan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom